KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x Soil Indoor Grow Journal & Review

re: KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x Soil Indoor Grow Journal & Review

what is normal finishing times for these strains?

AK47x Alaskan Thunder 8 weeks
AK48 7-10 weeks
Hindu Kush 8-9 weeks

re: KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x Soil Indoor Grow Journal & Review

For those asking about HPS temps: here's what I have so far from a 600W cooltube with an HPS bulb, high of 84 at 41 inches away from center of bulb and a high of 90 at 8 inches away. I'm measuring from 16 inches away today - let me know if you'd like to see any other specific distances.
Ready for this? at 16in away the high is 82 deg so it looks like that's a sweet spot in my setup for air flow since it's even cooler than at 41 inches away.
and for the finish: at 24in away from the HPS (current peak of my canopy) the max temp is 79 degrees. So I'm comfortable saying that I can get as close as 12-14 inches of my cooltube without stressing the ladies out. :peace:

The ignorance of some people astounds me. Going to be brief as KJC's thread, but ignorance like this can not be ignored.

1. Coal companies are not being bankrupt, they are actually doing very well with their profits the last 5-10 years.
2. Human caused climate change is a much a scientific fact as something like say, evolution.

If anyone would like to show their ignorance to these two facts, then bring it to my thread and show me your denier bs there and I will refute it with actual science.

Buds are coming along well KJC! Good job for first grow under LED, what is normal finishing times for these strains?

We'll just have to agree to disagree and enjoy our mutual love of the cannabis plant. It's the things that bring us together that make our society stronger, wouldn't you agree? Sorry for the interruption John. :Namaste: &:peace:

We'll just have to agree to disagree and enjoy our mutual love of the cannabis plant. It's the things that bring us together that make our society stronger, wouldn't you agree? Sorry for the interruption John. :Namaste: &:peace:

I agree, but ignorance, especially on this issue (sad that so many dismiss solid science because of their ideology) is also a threat to our productive society.

You appear to be a reasonable person from this post, feel free to stop by one of my threads and I can hopefully 'show you the light' so to speak.

Looking great KingJohn , are you using the recommended 20" from the top on the tallest plant light distance?

:goodjob:

The AK48's have grown very well under the Lush Lighting Dominator 2x and the tallest has grown to 9" from the LED light panel. I had expected the AK48's to grow to the same height as the Hindu Kush #3.

The AK48's have grown very well under the Lush Lighting Dominator 2x and the tallest has grown to 9" from the LED light panel. I had expected the AK48's to grow to the same height as the Hindu Kush #3.

That is interesting, cause I am developing a theory that different strains perform differently under different lighting. I have noticed, no data just a probably meaningless observation, that in my test grow the delta in the two sides between the two differing LEDs is different for the two strains, Blueberry and Hawaiian Snow. And this may be another piece of subjective evidence backing up that thought.

If true that could greatly complicate the discussion on 'best' LED panel.

Flower Day 39

All plants were given a foliar spray with 5 millilitre per gallon of Snow Storm Ultra.

https://emeraldtriangle.biz

https://www.perfectgardens.com emerald triangle snow storm ultra qt

I tried to find a sheet with the label on the product so I could see what they are charging almost 40 dollars a quart for. The only thing it says on the website that I could find is that it contains 3% K. How much does a quart end up producing?

Snow Storm Ultra contains Potassium Hydroxide as its active ingredient, when used at 5 millilitres per gallon 1 quart= 946 ml/5 ml= 189 gallons.

That is interesting, cause I am developing a theory that different strains perform differently under different lighting. I have noticed, no data just a probably meaningless observation, that in my test grow the delta in the two sides between the two differing LEDs is different for the two strains, Blueberry and Hawaiian Snow. And this may be another piece of subjective evidence backing up that thought.

If true that could greatly complicate the discussion on 'best' LED panel.

You are right about different lights causing different reactions in plants. There are two main types of parts of plants that respond to light and cause these reactions, you have photosynthetic pigments, and photosynthetic proteins.

Photosynthetic proteins respond to different changes in light to help the plants cope with environmental conditions. There are many different proteins that only respond to certain wavelengths of light. Some of these are responsible for sensing changes in UV radiation and help initiate protective responses in plants, others help respond to IR and Green light combinations and tell the plants to stretch which is how plants push themselves out of shade (primarily green and IR light).

Then you have the Photosynthtic Pigments, which are mainly used for gathering light energy, and helping convert it to other vital plant processes. This is your chlorophylls, cartenoids, and such. Each of these responds to different light wavelenths and mostly are involved in electron transfer to the photosystems to convert light photons to energy. But, they also do trigger plant responses as well and many of the carotenoids are also responsible for triggering plant responses to different changing light.

Light definitely affects plants in many ways, and this is where the arguements seem to start in the lighting world.. and from my research this actually carries over to the scientific field as many of the studies are heavily debated and many times conflicting. Plant lighting is one of the most studied but also most conflicting areas of study in plants, and we still have so much to know about these individual proteins and pigments and their full functions and reactions. :)

Great observation, I hope you guys don't mind me confirming what you were saying :)

You are right about different lights causing different reactions in plants. There are two main types of parts of plants that respond to light and cause these reactions, you have photosynthetic pigments, and photosynthetic proteins.

Photosynthetic proteins respond to different changes in light to help the plants cope with environmental conditions. There are many different proteins that only respond to certain wavelengths of light. Some of these are responsible for sensing changes in UV radiation and help initiate protective responses in plants, others help respond to IR and Green light combinations and tell the plants to stretch which is how plants push themselves out of shade (primarily green and IR light).

Then you have the Photosynthtic Pigments, which are mainly used for gathering light energy, and helping convert it to other vital plant processes. This is your chlorophylls, cartenoids, and such. Each of these responds to different light wavelenths and mostly are involved in electron transfer to the photosystems to convert light photons to energy. But, they also do trigger plant responses as well and many of the carotenoids are also responsible for triggering plant responses to different changing light.

Light definitely affects plants in many ways, and this is where the arguements seem to start in the lighting world.. and from my research this actually carries over to the scientific field as many of the studies are heavily debated and many times conflicting. Plant lighting is one of the most studied but also most conflicting areas of study in plants, and we still have so much to know about these individual proteins and pigments and their full functions and reactions. :)

Great observation, I hope you guys don't mind me confirming what you were saying :)

Pertaining to the green(525nm) light wavelength, I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject since I came across an article linking the 525nm wavelength to shorter node stretching, and would be interested in an experiment of running a green light during the sleep cycle to see how it would effect node stretch.

Pertaining to the green(525nm) light wavelength, I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject since I came across an article linking the 525nm wavelength to shorter node stretching, and would be interested in an experiment of running a green light during the sleep cycle to see how it would effect node stretch.

Do you think it would increase or decrease stretch?

Do you think it would increase or decrease stretch?

The result is consistent with a growing body of
evidence that green light signals oppose responses
generated by the activation of blue and red photo-
sensory pathways. The opposition of a normal light
response by green light has been observed in other
contexts. Green light delivered coincidently with blue
light eliminates stomatal opening (Frechilla et al., 2000).
The addition of green light to a red and blue background
decreases seedling dry mass (Went, 1957). Green light
also increases stem growth rate in the developing seed-
ling (Folta, 2004), whereas all other wavebands (includ-
ing far red) promote growth inhibition (Parks et al., 2001;
Shinkle et al., 2004). The addition of green wavebands
has been shown to reverse blue light-induced effects
on hypocotyl elongation and anthocyanin accumula-
tion in seedlings (Bouly et al., 2007) as well as to affect
flowering (Banerjee et al., 2007). The results herein
represent another example of how the addition of
green light opposes responses induced by other vis-
ible wavelengths

Here is just some info I found, it seems that green actually will do many things to plants.

My interpretation of what I read leads me to believe the stretch would be reduced.

More interesting reading.

Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Growers Handbook

Experiments At The Cutting Edge

GREEN AND BLUE LIGHT AT NIGHT

As plants evolved for hundreds of millions of years they never actually had to deal with separation of light spectrums or unusual lighting regimes. When they received light it came from the sun in a mixture of spectrums and they could pick and choose which to use. It was only with the advent first of gas and then electric lighting that plants encountered unusual regimens and splintered spectrums.

Plants measure day length using the red light spectrum. While they use other spectrums for other purposes, they are not sensitive to them as far as flowering is concerned. They are almost totally insensitive to green light and for this reason reflect it back to us while absorbing most other spectrums.

Plants’ insensitivity to green light can be used to a gardener’s advantage. You know that turning the light on in the middle of the dark cycle disturbs the plants’ flowering paradigm. The light, HPS, fluorescent and MH lamps all emit red light. Green fluorescent and LED lights contain no red light and will not disturb the dark period. You can go in the garden under adequate light to work, as long as it is green.

Plants use blue light for certain regulatory processes and also for photosynthesis. Chlorophyll absorbs both blue and red light and uses the light’s energy to power the complex process in which water and atmospheric carbon dioxide are converted to sugar and oxygen gas. Blue light does not affect the regulation of flowering.

When blue light is turned on during the dark period, plants photosynthesize but their flowering isn’t affected. This results in more growth as the plants produce more sugars. Before LED lights it was difficult to create a pure blue light. Instead, most of the time other spectrums were filtered out, which can be an inconvenient process. Try using between 20 and 40 watts of mixed blue light per 1000 watts of regular light. I have done only initial experimentation with this so test this in a limited way first. I suspect that the additional light is an efficient way of increasing total yield

Aside from red and blue light, plants also use orange light for photosynthesis. I haven’t experimented with them yet, but orange LEDs might also help increase yield and probably can be lit continuously, just like the blues. More on this as the news breaks—or at least, as it fractures.

UVB LIGHT

Ultra-violet B light is a spectrum of light that is invisible to us but is visible to insects and some other organisms. In humans it causes suntan and sunburn and is implicated in the formation of eye cataracts. It is the light emitted by tanning bulbs.

UVB light also affects marijuana potency. The potency of high quality marijuana increases in direct ratio to the amount of UVB light it receives. This is very significant. In California, where the medical dispensaries operate in an unrestricted market; many dispensaries reject fall harvested outdoor material as inferior. They have found it lacks the potency of indoor crops and is a harsh smoke. However, when they were presented with marijuana grown outdoors but forced to ripen August 10, they accepted it as if it were indoor because of its high potency and lack of harshness. I think the harshness results from cool nights.

Indoors, under fluorescent and HPS lamps, gardens receive little UV-B light. Metal halides emit a bit more. However, there are ways of supplying your garden with UV-B light. Tanning lamps work, that is, lamps that tan people, because of the UV-B light they emit. Using tanning lamps will increase the THC content of the crop. Reptiles and lizards require the spectrum to stay healthy. So the spectrum usually comprises about 10 percent of their output. If you want to try tanning lamps they are available on the Internet. Use between 5-10 percent of your total wattage to these lamps. For a 1000-watt garden use 100 watts of special lighting.

Adding UV-B light to your garden will enhance your marijuana naturally, without “special formulas” and chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom