Lem's 2014 Outdoor Grow Journal

First off, Im trying to give you all information that Ive learned over the years so you wont hit some of the pit fall I have.So if Im telling you something you all ready know Im sorry.And I hope the little jokes I through in every once in a while are entertaining. NOW HERE WE GO: Did you know that if a branch breaks off the main stem correctly,where its not completly seavered from the plant,and the branch is close enough to touch the ground. Where the internodes touch the dirt they will root. Well one side will root and the other side becomes a top witch enturn becomes a plant. Look in the middle of this pic and youll see how I broke this branch and it fell in the dirt in the planter Im doing now. I cant show the roots with out digging up the branch so youll have to take my word for it.Where every internode touches the dirt they have rooted and the other side is a top.
Clone_Root_Broken_Branches_002.jpg
In the first pic I pined back the tops to show the main stem.Heres what it looks like when there back where they go.
Clone_Root_Broken_Branches_004.jpg
Now I have one more related piece of information. Heres the senario - your watering your plants, the hose get stuck on something,you give it a pull but it doesnt come loose,so you pull a little harder, the hose comes loose, flies in the air,hits one of your plants and breaks a branch completly off the main stock.DID YOU KNOW: You can take that branch and cut it into pieces and clone it and make more plants.I CANT DRAW but heres the best I can do cause I dont have a picture
Clone_Root_Broken_Branches_006.jpg
You guys laughing, I told you I couldnt draw. Any way I hope this is helpfull to some one. TOAST

You're saying that broken branch is going to root itself into the ground just like that? And that it has to be partially connected to the plant while the bottom of the internodes are just gently placed onto the dirt? Sounds incredible and rare. No open flesh at the root site, and no extra rooting hormone. Is it possible you could get a picture of where it is connected to the ground? Kind of boggling, but not doubting since cannabis will sometimes do things we never expected ;)

Lester, no Bullshit and heres how I first discovered it. Back in the 1970s I took a bunch of Mexican Dirt Pot seeds you know $10.00 a lid pot seeds and threw them on the ground on the top of my hill and covered with potting soil. I made a megshift sprinkler so I didnt have to clime the hill every day to water. I would only check them every once in a while The first time I went up they were about 4 inches high.The next time they were 1 foot high. We have a lot of rabbits. The next time I went up the rabbits had gotten in and ate and trampled the plants. There were a few plants that wernt eaten they had just been stood on by the little varmints and laying flat on the ground. I made it so the rabbits could no longer get in and replanted.But I left the ones that were laying down like they were cause they were still alive and I thought if I tried to right them they would break off. I go back up like 3 weeks later and I find the ones that were laying in the dirt had made serveral plants. I wish I could show you but imagine a foot long stem laying on the top of the ground and at every internode theres about an 8 in little plant for the lenth of the stem, thats what I found. When I went to lift the branch up , I was unable to do so because it had rooted its self on the bottom side. Im assuming that the new grouth at the internodes grew into the ground and made roots. Im not sure why it does I just know it does it. I just went out and tryed to take pictures for you but its dark and my not so great camera wont focus so I will set up my tri-pod and camera in the morning and try to get you some pic. Look I am not saying go out and push all your plants over into the dirt.Just if shit happens there can be other options then ripping the branch off and throwing it away. Just trying to help.Toast

It's actually quite normal. The same happebs with tmatoes or strawberries, which grow shoots in the summer, and these just root with time. Nature is amazing, isn't it. Was this Mexican weed any good? :)

It's actually quite normal. The same happebs with tmatoes or strawberries, which grow shoots in the summer, and these just root with time. Nature is amazing, isn't it. Was this Mexican weed any good? :)

It may be quite normal in other plants like strawberries that send out runners to root into the ground, but I have never heard of tomatos nor cannabis being able to root like this, so yeah it is quite remarkable what life will do to survive.

All right Lester this is the best I could do : This first pic is the planter as it looks this morning:
Clone_Root_Broken_Branches_009.jpg
This next pic is where the branch broke off the main stalk:
Clone_Root_Broken_Branches_010.jpg
This is the branch where it fell when it broke:
Clone_Root_Broken_Branches_013.jpg
This next one is where it enters the dirt for the first time:
Clone_Root_Broken_Branches_016.jpg
This is where it enters the dirt the second time:
Clone_Root_Broken_Branches_017.jpg
In this pic you see those two branches one on eather side of the branch that broke there coming out of the ground where the broken branch first touches the ground:
Clone_Root_Broken_Branches_018.jpg
And this is what happends when you start moving branches around to take pictures:
Clone_Root_Broken_Branches_022.jpg
There you go Lester.Oh and that Mexican Swag: Well me and my best High School buddy Bob were spitting Milk and Chocolate Chip Cookies out our noses we were laughing so hard. But then we were 16. I imagen the effect wouldnt be the same today.TOAST PS. Thank every body for the input its appreciated.

Conradino Sir I have a question, actually I would like every ones input on this. Conradino you live in Italy right, so you go on vacation to Amsterdam and while there you purchase Acapulco Gold seeds you take them home and grow them. Is the pot really Acapulco Gold or is it (I dont know the name of your town) so we'll say Ascoli Piceno Gold (Like that) lol. I say it can only be Acapulco Gold if its grown in Oaxaca or at least in that desert.The reason that the Acapulco Gold and Oaxacan Spears are yellow is lack of Nitrogen in the soil in Oaxaca. So how could it even be close to the same if it grown in the Nutrient rich soil at your house. Now lets hear what you all think about that. TOAST

When we grow a land-race strain, or strains that are exclusive to certain regions we know that we are simply replicating those flowers to the best of our ability. Often times, the specimens can turn out to be extremely captivating of the essence of the strain depending on the similarity between the latitudes of the environments, or it would adapt and turn out completely different than what it originally was. The environment can really shape and solidify a phenotype into almost a completely different strain...:surf:

Hey an actual Lem's 2014 Outdoor Grow Journal UPDATE: Well its been a few weeks sence I posted pictures so here we go. First the Planter #1-The Whole Planter #2-The Left Side #3- The Center #4- The Right Side :
The_Hill_and_Planter_017.jpg
The_Hill_and_Planter_018.jpg
The_Hill_and_Planter_019.jpg
The_Hill_and_Planter_020.jpg
And now The Hill :
The_Hill_and_Planter_022.jpg
The_Hill_and_Planter_025.jpg
The_Hill_and_Planter_026.jpg
The_Hill_and_Planter_028.jpg
The_Hill_and_Planter_029.jpg
The_Hill_and_Planter_031.jpg
The_Hill_and_Planter_032.jpg
The_Hill_and_Planter_033.jpg
The_Hill_and_Planter_034.jpg
The_Hill_and_Planter_035.jpg
I dont like the way Dah Super Lemon Haze is growing. I think when my new Superooter Air Pots get here I will dig up 5 or 6 of them and bring them down and put them in the indoor room to flower and replace them with ( Im not sure yet ) but Ive got to get something in that space that will generate some weight,Its very important.I cant say why right now.I wasnt going to say any thing at all about the situation but I was convenced by out side influences that it was kinda my oblagation to document the results, good or bad for all the worlds Medical Cannabis users. So I will be filling you all in as soon as the in door plants are harvested, and then youll get to see my entire opperation and I will break down whats realy going on with me.This last pic is Dah Super Lemon Haze and Ill probably dig up all but the back 3 plants there the only ones doing what there suposta do. Every things looking pretty good. The works not kicking my ass very offten.Im happy. Later. TOAST
The_Hill_and_Planter_036.jpg

Wow, incredible update, I'm in love with everything, I find it very fascinating and pleasing. Your plants look great and the planter bed is nice, dense, and lush. The hill plants are beautiful. I'll have to find out what your gonna to do get each and every one of these ladies some water in the hot summer we're gonna have. I'm guessing because your in towards the desert that mold isn't nearly an issue as it is here on the coast. Really excited to be front row here, thanks for the update buddy :popcorn: :thumb:

Not an easy subject, but very interesting for me nonetheless :) I'm too young for old school, so the only way for me to see what landraces are really about was to gain experience with hybrids first and then start growing them this season for the first time. Funny, cause yesterday I was just reading an article by DJ Shorts Strains of Yesteryear | Cannabis Culture in which he describes all these legendary strains like Colombian Gold or Highland Oaxaca, and what he basically says is that they were always giving different buds when grown in Seattle or whatever (not strange at all actually) than what got smuggled from their countries of origin.

Well, landraces have been grown for hundreds of years in climates which shaped everything in cannabis: bud structure, flowering time, shape and color of leaves, height, so taking one of them and growing them elsewhere will be always challenging. I believe indeed that pure indica will show different pattern of growth if we take it from dry, arid conditions and give it high humidity all season round. And what happens if equatorial sativas are grown up north out of sudden. They need to cope with shorter growing season, autumn rainfalls, and less lumens to which they respond by shorter flowering and lower THC content, at least in F1 or F2 generation if inbred.

No, definitely every landrace will change with time responding to local microclimate this way, and you'll never see the same high growing it far from its natural environment, but that's the only way for many of us to see this genetics around and in a stash jar. I'm on my way to find few landraces which just love my climate and breed them together into some nice hybrids in the future... but pure lines should be kept anyway, cause that's where it all comes from :smokin:

mal4.jpg

Happy sativa day :Namaste:

I read the DJ Shorts Strains of Yesteryear and can honestly say that his experience of cannabis was completely different from my side of the tracks.
In San Francisco Bay Area of the 70s we had a choice between cheap Mexican shake and cheap humbolt country shake with a rare chance at high priced Thai Stick or Hawaiian. The Hawaiian would be the only one to bother smoking today. It was fruity, mellow and a gentle happy high. The Thai Stick was green leaves dished in Opium with all the pointlessness of opium: soapy taste, couch lock, total blackout. The Humboldt was admirable herb, but in retrospect never seemed to be harvested at the right time, one was dried but not cured. Most if the time it was sold as something else since people didn't want to buy green, cheap weed. Everything else was an overdried version of Humboldt weed.

By the early 80s, in my slum neighborhoods, anything that claimed to be "really good shit" was laced with pcp, Angel dust, Crystal or something else that would destroy your brain. It wasn't worth the risk of getting your brain, so I quit smoking weed. Anything from Mexico had been adjusted with paraquat and would help you grow an extra arm or something. Ronald Reagan's war on drugs totally destroyed the safe, pleasant marijuana culture of the 70s and created the desperate street drug culture we have today.

I am no expert. Just sharing my personal experience. :Namaste:

By the early 80s, in my slum neighborhoods, anything that claimed to be "really good shit" was laced with pcp, Angel dust, Crystal or something else that would destroy your brain. It wasn't worth the risk of getting your brain, so I quit smoking weed. Anything from Mexico had been adjusted with paraquat and would help you grow an extra arm or something. Ronald Reagan's war on drugs totally destroyed the safe, pleasant marijuana culture of the 70s and created the desperate street drug culture.

Yes, that is the way it was many, many moons ago!

:peace:

Thanks Every One for your landrace comments,absolutely great information and thanks again.I showed you all how I put my clones in Produce bags to root and now Ill show you how I personally take them out.In the high desert its very very dry most of the time.So when you want to take the rooted clones out of the bags for Transplanting You have to keep them wet, while they adjust from 100% humidity to 0% humidity. Heres how I do it: I took some drip tubeing and two little sprayer nozles and attched them to a cart
Transplanting_Clones_007.jpg
Transplanting_Clones_010.jpg
Then I get the rooted clones that are in the bags and set them under the sprayers to cool down for a minute,then I take um out of the bags and put them on top of the empty bag with the coresponding strain so as not to lose track of whats what,and leave them under the mist while I prepair the bags for planting.
Transplanting_Clones_012.jpg
I then get Qt Freezer Bags in this case I will need seven
Transplanting_Clones_013.jpg
Then with a Sharpie I write the strains on the new bags
Transplanting_Clones_017.jpg
Then I cut little triangles in the bottom of the bags
Transplanting_Clones_018.jpg
If you take a Straight or Hat Pin and run it thew the baggies on one side to hold them, you can cut several bags at once.Then I get my 2 gallon spray can and fill 1/4 up at witch time I add One cap of Super Thrive, Two caps of Foxfarms Grow Big, and a eye droper full of B12 and finish filling it up. My water Ph is a little over 9 so I also have to add 1ts of white distilled vinegar per gallon of water. I then fill the bags 3/4 of the way full of dirt
Transplanting_Clones_020.jpg
Then I wet the dirt
Transplanting_Clones_021.jpg
Then I put the clones I the correctly marked bags
Transplanting_Clones_022.jpg
I then finish filling the bags with dirt and put them back under the spray
Transplanting_Clones_023.jpg
Then they go under a 4 ft florecent light (1-Daylight bulb and 1-Plant bulb) for 2 to 3 days
Transplanting_Clones_024.jpg
and then out side. Thank GOD thats over with . TOAST

Back
Top Bottom