limpfingerz207

Sup everyone, welcome to my first journal.

First off, thank you to everyone here on the forum for what you do and still doing. There’s so much information readily available and I really like how helpful of each other people are. All the collaboration is what makes this place great. I’m excited to share my journal as I learn my mistakes and success along the way. Thank you for checking out my first journal.

I’ll jump right into it and give you some details of what I have going on.

My garden sits in a room that’s I’m guessing approx 10x9x7.5 . There is four 1000w HPS air cooled and I can supply co2 in the room. The room isn’t sealed completely and it’s likely I will supply the co2. I would love to get my hands on some Fluence LED lights and I think they seem awesome. I have some platinumled p900 lights but my portable ac is too small to handle the extra heat. Maybe next year I’ll invest into a minisplit and fluence led lights. That way I can have both hps and LED or go all out led lights.

The garden: I bought some dynasty seeds and for this run I will try using two strains called Birds of Paradise and Starduster. According to their web site, Starduster is (Sour D X Ms. Universe). Birds of Paradise is (Kali Snapple X Blue Heron). These seeds will be planted in High brix soil mix using doc’s high brix kit. There will be total of six seeds starting out in 1 gallon and probably will finish in 7 gallon.

Water source: RO water

Nutes: No nutes or calmag or anything else will be used.

Tools: None. Going to toss out the Blue guardian Probes since it’s not needed.

Picture time :
Soil prep for 30 day cook

Used plain RO water (o ppm 6.8 ph 70 temp )

Cooked for little over 30 days. Halfway through cookin i added about half gallon to a gallon of water.

30 days is up! Time to plant the seeds. Some 1 gallon containers was filled with the soil mix and each seed holes was dusted with ROOTS. Once the seeds is buried, they were watered with a little bit of transplant in plain RO water.

A week later, 5 of 6 seeds broke the surface! Not sure what happened with the last one and I will plant another one in same hole. It will be about a week behind others and I think that’ll be fine. Last garden I had 50% rate, and the ratio rate was the same for male/female plants. I hope this one has better turnout :)

The soil seemed to be getting dry and it was not moist. So i poured a little bit of plain water around the potting, and avoided pouring on top the roots/stem. Just so the soil can be a little moist. Now I'm going to plant a new seed in the 6th one and post new update soon.

Have a great Memorial weekend!

Sweet! There's a little bit of a crowd, that’s awesome! I’m happy to share updates with all of ya :thumb: Hope you all are having a great week! So far my week has been good and the garden is moving along.

So far the room climate has been consistent about 50% humidity plus or minus 5 degrees and the temps have been consistent between 75 to 81 degrees. The plants seem to be doing well and the 6th one hasn’t broken the surface yet. I suspect on Monday we’ll see something going in that 6th potting.

Although there was one thing which I am kinda bummed about and don’t know why it happened. On Thursday when I got home from work, I checked the room and saw everything going good. However in the morning I checked on the room again and refilled the humidifier, I noticed one plant was slumped over like its dead. :-/ My first thought was several things. Maybe light too close? Maybe the fans were too strong or the plants were thirsty? I was under the impression the soil was still moist???
The fans were dialed back / relocated and I gave each potting a little bit of fresh water at room temp. This time each potting was watered slowly around the whole thing instead of around the edges like last time, thinking maybe the baby root system didn’t have enough water. The plant was propped back upright and a stake was placed to help hold it up. It feels like the light is at the proper distance at about a foot from the leaves and it is a 1000w dimmable at 25% load for the seedlings.

Has this happened to anyone? What could the reason by for a youngin to just slump over within 6 hrs in between the room check ins? If i did something wrong or couldve done differently, please share . That's the only way my green thumb can improve :)

some eye candy time!

Slumped over :/

This is how they appears today on 6/1 at 2am.

I'm thinking about changing light cycle from 24/0 to 18/6 sometime next weekend. Just so the plants can have some rest and i can save a little money on the power bill. :)

Have a great weekend every one!

The slump isn't all that uncommon. Reading your description sounded worse than it looked. :cheesygrinsmiley: I've had 'em do that sideways swing thing, and I do what you did, except for the water - be careful with water at that age. If the soil was well watered when you planted them, they shouldn't need anything more for a couple weeks. I use 16oz cups and I go almost that long before they get light. By then, they're not seedlings anymore, with 3-4 nodes already. They'll find all the water.

Nice save. :thumb:

Off to the races! nice start. From what van has said about his lights, you probably would not need a mini split if you were to get enough spyders to cover your room. I think he had his first covering a 5x5. so 2 of them would probably do. But thats still about $3k for lights.

Hmm I'm sorry, whos van? does he have a journal going with them spyders? I'd love to check it out and see how he is doing with them. You're right they seem pricey but it might be a better investment for me. Instead of paying big money for a mini split set up, might aswell replace the hps for fluence, then the portable ac wont have to work as hard.

Any chance you know of the btu numbers required to cool them lights? I know a 1000w hps needs approx 4k btu of cooling but what about the spyders? I imagine those spyder models @ 630w may require a hair over 2k BTUS per hour. Using those numbers, 4x 1000w hps requires 16k btu cooling where 4x spyders (guessing) requires 8k btu cooling. That's huge difference! I probably will do it but need to confirm the numbers before i make a decision. I just hope fluence lights dont give off much heat as the platinumsled does. When my p900 lights were on, they did give off alot of heat and the portable ac couldnt handle it. :/ So those lights might be up for sale as they were only used for two cycles.

When I ditched my 600w HIDs and bought into COB LEDs, I quickly found that because LED tech produced so much light for the wattage, I honestly did not need to run them as hard to get the same growth vigor as with HID, and because they produce a lot more light per watt, I only need to run my 480 watt drivers to a little over 50% and the heat produced is comparable to my HID at the 50% setting. So the fixture itself produces a lot of light and very little heat. Not knowing the SPyder model you guys are talking about or the dimensions of the room you're looking to put it in, I still feel comfortable in halving your estimate of 4k BTUs to 2k BTUs, but honestly, if you can dedicate a small PC fan to blowing across the fixture, you can likely mitigate the need for any BTUs.

Just my very rough estimates.

A watt is a watt, period. If the light is pulling 630 watts then those watts will be converted to heat. 1 Watt equals 3.412 BTU's of heat. The efficiency comes in because those 630 watts produce the growing power of a 1000 watt HID. You are saving 37% in electricity and heat for the same growing power. You will still need to deal with the heat just not as much of it. I hope I'm making sense here. I know what I'm trying to say, just not sure it's coming across right.

Sweet! There's a little bit of a crowd, that’s awesome! I’m happy to share updates with all of ya :thumb: Hope you all are having a great week! So far my week has been good and the garden is moving along.

So far the room climate has been consistent about 50% humidity plus or minus 5 degrees and the temps have been consistent between 75 to 81 degrees. The plants seem to be doing well and the 6th one hasn’t broken the surface yet. I suspect on Monday we’ll see something going in that 6th potting.

Although there was one thing which I am kinda bummed about and don’t know why it happened. On Thursday when I got home from work, I checked the room and saw everything going good. However in the morning I checked on the room again and refilled the humidifier, I noticed one plant was slumped over like its dead. :-/ My first thought was several things. Maybe light too close? Maybe the fans were too strong or the plants were thirsty? I was under the impression the soil was still moist???
The fans were dialed back / relocated and I gave each potting a little bit of fresh water at room temp. This time each potting was watered slowly around the whole thing instead of around the edges like last time, thinking maybe the baby root system didn’t have enough water. The plant was propped back upright and a stake was placed to help hold it up. It feels like the light is at the proper distance at about a foot from the leaves and it is a 1000w dimmable at 25% load for the seedlings.

Has this happened to anyone? What could the reason by for a youngin to just slump over within 6 hrs in between the room check ins? If i did something wrong or couldve done differently, please share . That's the only way my green thumb can improve :)

some eye candy time!

Slumped over :/

This is how they appears today on 6/1 at 2am.

I'm thinking about changing light cycle from 24/0 to 18/6 sometime next weekend. Just so the plants can have some rest and i can save a little money on the power bill. :)

Have a great weekend every one!
Good morning Fingers! Don't worry about that lil one falling over,..it happens when theyre brand new like that. Just give them a bit of help for a couple weeks standing up...they will be fine. Please remember to let those pots get 'light' and dry out before watering them OK...Don't worry about the roots...they will search out the moisture in the pots and get stronger because of it OK!!
Also ,your light cycle....ditch it! right now !! Switch it to 16/8. Forget about 18/6 or 24 hrs. like you have now. My new crop is as yours...tiny lil things ..they are on 16/8 in one gal. pots that were drenched at planting and will be fine for at least two weeks , prolly longer ok. DO NOT water them until the pots are dry . Hope this helps ya ...cheers eh!

A watt is a watt, period. If the light is pulling 630 watts then those watts will be converted to heat. 1 Watt equals 3.412 BTU's of heat. The efficiency comes in because those 630 watts produce the growing power of a 1000 watt HID. You are saving 37% in electricity and heat for the same growing power. You will still need to deal with the heat just not as much of it. I hope I'm making sense here. I know what I'm trying to say, just not sure it's coming across right.
I feel what you are saying, but I had always had it explained to me as a matter of efficiency. So one of the reasons LEDs do not put off as much heat, other than for why you already mentioned, was because they did a better job of converting those watts into light instead of heat. So say an HID light runs at 40% efficiency your 1000 watt light is putting out about 400 watts worth pf usable light with the other 600 watts really just putting out heat. So if you go to an LED set up that runs with 60% efficiency those numbers are then flipped. At 1000 watts you are getting 600 watts of usable light while putting off about 400 watts worth of heat. I may have interpreted this wrong, but that is how I understood it.

Hmm I'm sorry, whos van? does he have a journal going with them spyders? I'd love to check it out and see how he is doing with them. You're right they seem pricey but it might be a better investment for me. Instead of paying big money for a mini split set up, might aswell replace the hps for fluence, then the portable ac wont have to work as hard.

Any chance you know of the btu numbers required to cool them lights? I know a 1000w hps needs approx 4k btu of cooling but what about the spyders? I imagine those spyder models @ 630w may require a hair over 2k BTUS per hour. Using those numbers, 4x 1000w hps requires 16k btu cooling where 4x spyders (guessing) requires 8k btu cooling. That's huge difference! I probably will do it but need to confirm the numbers before i make a decision. I just hope fluence lights dont give off much heat as the platinumsled does. When my p900 lights were on, they did give off alot of heat and the portable ac couldnt handle it. :/ So those lights might be up for sale as they were only used for two cycles.
Van is @Van Stank he has a journal going on over here ---> Stanks Switch It Up In 2019 He also has another journal that he finished recently where he first introduces the Spyrder Rx I believe. HE may be able to chime in and give you some insite. I think he covered a 5x5 with his. So if your room if 5x10 you should only need 2 of them instead of the 4 HIDs you have going on. That alone should help with cooling costs. And he has run them within 6 inches of tops without issues, I even watched one plant grow right up past them basically in his journal and I saw no ill effect.

Back
Top Bottom