Multi-Strain Seed Run

Yes, the name of this thread has been changed to reflect its new direction. A heartfelt thanks to the staff here at 420 Magazine.

The seeds for the new girls all sank overnight. They are now between damp paper towel on top of the refrigerator for germination. The older girls continue to develop their first set of leaves, and more importantly their root systems.

full

The New Girls' Seeds Have Sunk

Nice! I'd love to see how the Candida goes. The Hy-1 I have in flowering is from MMG as well, Candida x Girl Scout Cookies. Previous test plant turned out amazing. My mother is messing with cbd for sleep, if it works out Candida may be on my list.
Seeds are expensive, and subject to availability, so I'm trying to cut costs by producing my own. Three strains at once will be a challenge, as I have two tents. I think I have it figured out, and will share once my procedures are refined.

The Plan:
This grow now has three feminized strains:
- 4 X CBD Cream & Cheese (9 weeks)
- 3 X Candida (9 weeks)
- 3 X Sapphire Scout (10 Weeks)

My goal is to produce seed for all the strains, not to cross-pollinate for new hybrids. I also want a sample of flower from each strain. To achieve this the pollen must be carefully controlled. It may not be allowed free rein through a tent. I have two 2' X 4' (60cm X 120cm) tents I can use, and the outdoors. Here is the general plan for this grow:
  • The plants will all be up-potted into final 2 gallon nursery pots;
  • All plants will share a tent through the vegetative stage;
  • The most vigorous plant of each strain will be moved to the second tent for flowering;
    • These plants will be treated with STS to change their sex (F>M);
  • Three weeks later the remaining plants will be placed under 12/12 lighting to flower;
  • When the F>M plants are nearly ready to produce pollen their colas will be bagged;
    • The F>M plants will be separated, one remaining in the tent, two outdoors;
    • The pollen will be collected separately for each strain;
    • The F>M plants will be destroyed;
  • The female plants will be separated by strain, one in each tent, one outdoors;
    • Two colas of each female will be pollinated with pollen from the same strain;
    • The pollinated colas will be bagged until the pistils die off;
    • The plants will be heavily sprayed with water to destroy any remaining pollen;
  • The plants will be moved into one tent, or perhaps both if the room is needed; and
  • Harvest of different strains, their seeded and sensimilla colas will be staggered.

Two of the Sapphire Scout seeds germinated overnight. They have been planted in the 70% coco / 30% perlite. The other pots are waiting...

With a few plants of a single strain it's easy to keep track of each one. As you add plants. and more strains it becomes more difficult. Being the sort of person that works hard at doing nothing, I made up some plant tags using nursery stakes, and clear plastic Avery labels. I've found that the clear plastic labels don't deteriorate like the paper ones do.

Something many folks don't realize it that clicking an image on this forum will show it full size. I re-size the images from my camera to the maximum allowed on this forum, so you can zoom in for a closer look.

full

Two Sapphire Scouts Added

Hi @Old Salt . Watching and learning as I am also keen on sex changing if needed but mainly for my combinations that help my wife.
I also have a few youngsters under wing who are keen to learn the finer art involved in growing properly.
What I learn I hope to pass on.

Hi @Old Salt . Watching and learning as I am also keen on sex changing if needed but mainly for my combinations that help my wife.
I also have a few youngsters under wing who are keen to learn the finer art involved in growing properly.
What I learn I hope to pass on.

Welcome to the show. Whether I succeed or fail, I'll have learned something as this is my first attempt at producing seed.

If you plan on trying this, I suggest ordering the chemicals at least a month in advance. Mine arrived within two weeks, but I got lucky. The expected arrival dates went to the end of June.

With a few plants of a single strain it's easy to keep track of each one. As you add plants. and more strains it becomes more difficult. Being the sort of person that works hard at doing nothing, I made up some plant tags using nursery stakes, and clear plastic Avery labels. I've found that the clear plastic labels don't deteriorate like the paper ones do.

LOL.
As I read this , I was smugly thinking to myself how I had this one covered.

Not the case.
During a recent tidy up all the markers and pins were put into a mug. Including a selection of whiteboard markers.
Now I have 24 labels, 18 of them blank.
I guess it's going to be a guessing game.
:lot-o-toke::rofl:

One of the Sapphire Scout seeds didn't germinate, so I started another. It finally poked its head above the coco. Now that the gang's all here, we can get started.

full

The Gang's All Here

For those interested, the light is approximately 9000 Lux at the canopy. When I'm not feeding, or photographing the plants, they are under a 7" (18cm) high dome cover.

Back
Top Bottom