Obi Wan Cannabinoid Presents - Jock vs Jack - A T5 - Hempy Grow Journal

Canopy distance to light is now @ 9 inches. I'll let them grow toward the lamp until they begin to show signs of heat stress. I turned on the second circulation fan again but adjusted it a little further away from Jack. She seems a little more sensitive in general.

I was also going to mention I mixed my Perlite & Vermiculite grow media a little differently this time. I again used 100% Perlite at the bottom filling the container just past the drain hole. The difference this time is how I mixed the Vermiculite. Working in layers I laid down a couple inches of Perlite and then added a handful of Vermiculite in the center. I agitated it by hand to blend the mix together but kept it centered in a 5 inch radius. The end result is 100% Perlite at the bottom and sides and a center column of blended Perlite and Vermiculite.

Let's talk about smell. With 16 days of veg growth there is no need for a carbon filter yet. Getting up close and personal with my nose reveals nothing special. Perhaps a leafy, lettuce scent?

When I give a gentle rub on one of the lower leaf sets is when the fun starts. Jack has a nice fragrant spice scent right now. Not too skunky. No real citrus overtones. Just a nice spice.

Fondling Jock's lower leafs reveals a sugar note nixed in with the spice. It's definitely sweeter but I can't quite place it yet.

/Obi

Please provide periodic "smell" reports! I have been unable to articulate the smell of Jack Herer in words. Perhaps I'd have better luck with interpretive dance. But their perfume is as awesome as it is unusual.

Your babies look fantastic. I'm going to have to research hempy pots. They hadn't been on my radar until I read your journal.

The only thing that comes to mind is root rot from a poorly mixed medium? Not sure. I'd be curious to learn more.

/Obi Wan

I don't really think of root rot as a disease. More of a natural process really. I see it less with the perl only mix... but generally only run into it when I do a re-veg... and I could probably avoid that if I clipped up the roots when I re-veg.

I was also going to mention I mixed my Perlite & Vermiculite grow media a little differently this time. I again used 100% Perlite at the bottom filling the container just past the drain hole. The difference this time is how I mixed the Vermiculite. Working in layers I laid down a couple inches of Perlite and then added a handful of Vermiculite in the center. I agitated it by hand to blend the mix together but kept it centered in a 5 inch radius. The end result is 100% Perlite at the bottom and sides and a center column of blended Perlite and Vermiculite.

I wonder if the verm will settle and end up in the bottom. We'll be curious to see the pot after harvest.

I don't really think of root rot as a disease. More of a natural process really. I see it less with the perl only mix... but generally only run into it when I do a re-veg... and I could probably avoid that if I clipped up the roots when I re-veg.

Root rot seems to be what I've seen derail the hempy's I was thinking of (that and powdery mildew). What I don't know of is if that happens more in hempy's, or if I'm just remembering it that way. I went back to a few hempy threads I've followed and didn't find anything, so maybe I'm just talking out my ass :lot-o-toke: I do think Hempies are great and are an awesome way to grow! Keep it up brother!

Greetings!

I had to modify this weekends grow cabinet maintenance a bit. Evidently we are having visitors next week. I was able to complete the interior cleaning and install one of the two 90 degree 6" vent elbows I have on hand. I will finish up the exterior maintenance after our guests leave. I'll need to move a bunch of stuff around to gain access to the exterior ducting and it will just be easier to do later.

Pulling the containers out of the cab I could tell they were due for some water within the next 24-48 hours. I decided to go ahead and feed them since I was on a roll and motivated. I used full strength nutes and fed 0.5gal each. There was no runoff. They are 21 days into veg and should be ok. If not I'll flush em and ease up. I have had a tendency to under feed. I don't think I've ever burned my plants. I don't know why but I feel compelled to push these plants a little harder and see what happens.

Some current veggie pics...

Keep it green,
/Obi

Hey Obi Great journal. I love the hempy bucket grow I want to try it in my next grow. Just had a question about the t5 light fixture. I feel like we both have the same one or similar at least and I wanted to know what you planned to do about bloom?

Hey Obi Great journal. I love the hempy bucket grow I want to try it in my next grow. Just had a question about the t5 light fixture. I feel like we both have the same one or similar at least and I wanted to know what you planned to do about bloom?
Hi salchipapa27,

Thanks for asking. I use the same fixture for bloom. I swap out the 8 bulbs for the proper color during 12/12 transition.

/Obi

What proper color do you mean could u elaborate a little on that because im a beginner but im starting to have less than great results in my bloom and just wanted some advice on which to swap out like a little explanation please

What proper color do you mean could u elaborate a little on that because im a beginner but im starting to have less than great results in my bloom and just wanted some advice on which to swap out like a little explanation please

You are asking all the right questions. I will start with a pic:
colour-temperature.gif

My understanding is there is a seasonal color temperture of Sun light. Winter and Spring Sun light leans towards the blue Kelvin spectrum. Summer and Fall lean towards the red.

So, what we are trying to do is mimic the Sun light color temperature as it would be in nature. We veg the plants under cooler blue light (Spring) and flower under warmer red light (Fall). Now, can you run just blue or just red for the entire grow? Yep. Is it optimal? Nope. However, sometimes we just have to do the best with what we've got at the moment.

Right now I'm running 8 54W 6500K bulbs. Glancing at the pic that puts me in the blue spectrum. When I flip from 18/6 lighting schedule to 12/12 I might run 4 3000K(more red) and 4 6500K(blue) for a week or so then swap all bulbs to the 3000K for the remainder of the grow.

Sometimes I wind up talking in circles. I hope this makes sense :)

Cheers!
/Obi

A quick plant update... 24 hours after the full strength feeding both plants look virtually the same. Happy, that is. No sign of burned leaf tips yet. I'm not sure if I'm out of the woods yet. I'll continue to monitor for over feeding.

If things continue to be stable in the cabinet over the next couple days I will most certainly top Jock. Probably Jack as well. She has just about caught up to Jock after all.

/Obi

I just remembered leaf tucking. I had to duck into the cab one last time tonight to see what I could do.

Jock was ready. Jack is a ways off yet. Here is a before (yesterday) and after Jock tuck.

I brought the lower fan leaves down below some of the side branch growth.

Thanks a lot Obi this is the answer i was searching for. I think i might go to the store and pick up a 4 t5s 4300 for during these girls flowering. Thanks again!

They do become untucked in short order for a while. I'm persistent, lol. I'm still working up the courage and confidence to get the clippers in there so early :)

I just opened up the cab for a quick peek. I already see fresh growth pushing hard out of the side branching of Jock. It's much like when the upper growth really gets going and is pushing so fast that the new growth comes out yellowish rather than green. After 24 hours it turns nice and green while new yellowish continues to get punched out of the stem, lol. Fasten your seat belt, Jock has the pedal to the metal.

BC Jack is cruising right along. It looks to be a good plant so far. Still stout at 23 days. She's robust but doesn't have the vigor that Jock is showing right now. I feel it may be due to her environment. Her twisty leaves don't seem quite right to me. It's way, way too early to draw any conclusions though. I'm simply making timely observations in case I grow it again. For all we know Jack could turn out to dominate the cab.

I'm going to enjoy the ride to finding out!

/Obi

Greetings young Cannabiwans,

The girls have grown past the rim of their containers! I haven't done anything other than tucking Jack's leaves twice since the last feeding 4 days ago.

Here are a couple pics from this evening. It might be worth mentioning the depth of their reservoir can be visualized by noting the bottom edge of the paper signs taped to their buckets.

/Obi

Smell update: when I open the cabinet there is smell now. It's faint. Strength of scent 1 out of 10. I can't really smell them from 2 feet away. I have to have my nose right at the door to catch a very subtle whiff.

I didn't touch or rub any leaves today so I don't have too much more to add just yet.

Simple conclusion: it took 20-25 days of growth to produce any detectable scent in the air.

Back
Top Bottom