OldSkoool's CFL/LST Computer Box Bag Seed Show and Review

OldSkoool

After three years of employing information from this fine site to learn the craft of growing MJ from it's amazing contributors, I thought it high time (pardon the pun) to document, and share information on my current, single plant CFL/LST grow using two cardboard computer boxes. Certainly not the most hi tech cab, but the cost was hard to pass up.

Shown here with a previous grow underway. I have since replaced the top box which I'll refer to as a light canopy, and will detail later. The exhaust fan, powers strips, CFL's, and bottom container were recyclable, and are still in use in the new light canopy.

box01.JPG

Basics.

Lighting: (plugged into four vertically attached power strips)

Veg - Four 42W warm spectrum CFL's, four 23W cool spectrum CFL's.

Flower - Eight 42W warm spectrum CFL's

Soil:

Fahards African Violet potting soil (was nute free, now has MG nutes)

Nutes:

Veg - MG Tomato

Flower - Green Light Super Bloom

Seeds:

Bag, from smoke I, or friends considered to be worth the effort...and they certainly were:ganjamon:

Okay, on to the show!

I usually try to get two to four germinating seeds to start off with, hoping for at least one female, on this grow I had four seeds that germinated. Identifying them by the date they broke the surface. As it turns out, 8/19, the first of this crop that popped up first, is the plant that's currently flowering all by it's lonesome. Numbers 1 & 2 indicate the seed group they came from.

I shall now bore you with weekly photo's of growth progression....can't help but reminded of my dad's vacation slide shows that had half the guests asleep before we left the driveway.

Week 0: 08/19/09
EOW008-19-09.JPG

Week 1: 08/26/09
EOW018-29-09.JPG

Week 2: 09/02/09
EOW029-02-09.JPG

Week 3: 09/09/09 (how cool is that? An omen?)
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/medium
/EOW039-09-09.JPG
Week 4: 09/16/09
/EOW049-16-09.JPG
Week 5: 09/23/09 (failed 1st attempt at cloning lower right)
EOW059-23-09.JPG

Week 6: 09/30/09
EOW069-30-09.JPG

I had to cease LST after 6 weeks, the lower plant container no longer large enough to hold these bushy babies. But I knew it wouldn't be very long belong before I initiated the 12/12 light cycle to sex them, and return to tying down the selected female for harvest.

On 10/02/09 I built the new light canopy, and commenced 12/12 lighting which I'll document with the 7th, 8th week progress along with today's one week old flowering buds later on today.

Naturally, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have:peace:

Thanks for that Krisk!

By week 7 ol 8/19 was looking tall and proud, breaking free of her LST tie downs, her twisted frame reached for the sky!
EOW0710-09-09-8-19.JPG

8/21 turned out to be a male, and I adopted out 8/22 to a good home.

Time to drop her Orwellian identification and give this female a proper name. On 10/02/09 she displayed her first tiny white pistil.

Henceforth she shall be known as Wanda, a slinkly woman of questionable sativa background.

I retired the old cardboard light canopy on 10/02/09, building this replacement unit made from 1/2" foam board, making power strip mounting changes that provided a much efficient lighting footprint over the plant.

lightcanopy14.JPG

mylittlegrow10-12-09A.JPG

lightcanopy171.JPG

Foam board is great to work with, super light, and great for small cabs. With simple wooden framing, can be used for larger CFL cabs.

BUT I WOULD NOT recommend foam board for growers using high heat generating lighting systems. Even CFL users should make sure that they have an efficient fan(s) to exhaust CFL heat.

I love the Chinese Lantern effect.

Quite right Screwnuts! Satisfies my simple tastes of one unknown plant at time, but to be honest, I like so many other drool over some of these other grow results under more exotic lights, and larger cabs. I like to think of my bag seed grows like Forrest Gumps box of chocolates.....never know what ya might get.

Here's week 8, showing off her 4 day old buds
EOW08101409A.JPG

I couldn't believe seeing these tiny sugar sprinkles already starting to pop up.
4dayoldbudB.JPG

Little buddies basking under the glow of 21,000 lumens.
EOW08101409B.JPG

Bringing this journal up to date, I watered Wanda (3 gals of de clor'ed tap water) a few minutes ago, her second watering since re potting her 7 days ago, and did some more LST ties to shape her outer branches around to follow the shape of the pot rim, keeping the tops at roughly the same level.
water10-16-09.JPG

While I had her in the sink, I took advantage of the natural light to keep a weekly record of flower development, today being the 7th day day since she displayed her first white pistils, showing after 6 days of 12/12.
EOW01-10-16-09B.JPG

good lookin plants bro...i like the lantern effect as well... but it lets light in during the dark period doesnt it? or do u keep the lights off in the whole room at night?

good lookin plants bro...i like the lantern effect as well... but it lets light in during the dark period doesnt it? or do u keep the lights off in the whole room at night?

Thanks for commenting, and your excellent observation Legalize09. Yes, white foam board would allow light to penetrate the exterior surface if located in a lighted room without some additional light proofing. I'm not certain, but foam board comes in a variety of colors, including black, on one side, white on the other, which maybe light proof. In my case, the set up is located in a spare room that is light proof. While the lantern effect is somewhat novel, I now view it as escaping light energy, and plan on covering the interior walls with mylar.

Looking good my friend:nicethread:

Wanda is looking good. I once knew a Wanda, she was all over the place too.:grinjoint:
Nice, nice work. Not bad for an old skinny guy that can't see.:yummy:
Here's to a very successful grow. :peace:

Thanks ol wise one:ganjamon: I was wondering when you'd drop by and give us a word of encouragement from Hula Land:surf:

If Wanda (gotta love those Wanda's) is a tasty as 'Maria' was, I'll be a happy fella

wk15B72506.JPG

wk167302006H.JPG

harvest02.JPG

Yes, Maria was some fine looking smoke. :ganjamon:

Great job btw.

Thanks Lost1, same to you and your own grow as well. Maria (and subsequent ladies) were grown under half the CFL lumens as Wanda, and why I'm anticipating better quality, and potency with her. Only time will be the judge...I just hope he's more lenient that past judges in my life.

Bag seed strains aside, I am seeing a more robust bud difference with Wanda compared to Maria.

Maria, one week old bud
/wk11b627.JPG

Wanda, one week old bud
EOW01-10-16-09A.JPG

I seem to have screwed that up..one more try

Maria, one week old bud
wk11b627.JPG

dude that grow box is awesome, good looking plants to. +1 Rep

:thanks:

This old dude, like so many others here, is just taking advantage of the non MJ products of our time to promote our craft, and share the results with our 420 friends.

encouragement :grinjoint:

Man I love these CFLs. They really make things really grow green and healthy.

I think I ran in to the same judges you did. :ganjamon:

We have Edward E. Hammer to thank for these amazing lights he invented back in 1973 in response to the oil crisis. But GE didn't have the funding for manufacturing at the time. I love Wiki. Somehow, I don't think Eddie had us MJ farmers in mind while he toiled away, perfecting his idea.

Those judges get around my friend.

nice bud bro +rep for uppin your buddage this time round

Back
Top Bottom