Shrike's 1st Journal - Multiple Strains

Re: Shrike's 1st Journal - Using PlatinumLED P900 x 2 - DocBud's "Kit" - Multiple Sta

stunning plants, impressive equipment, excellent job :high-five:

subbed for more fun :thumb:

Re: Shrike's 1st Journal - Using PlatinumLED P900 x 2 - DocBud's "Kit" - Multiple Sta

Evening Shrike. Your girls are looking really good. That little bit of canoeing there can be fixed up with some regular epsom feedings.Strange though eh....how some strains crave the extra Mg. Well time for bed ....cheers.

It does keep us on our toes how our girls all crave different things and in different amounts...(sounds a bit like a double entendre):laughtwo:

Yeah...I started giving the two of them some Epson's yesterday. I'll probably give it one more time before I give them the salty drench by next week. Curious to see how they react to that...'night, Duggs

It does keep us on our toes how our girls all crave different things and in different amounts...(sounds a bit like a double entendre):laughtwo:

Yeah...I started giving the two of them some Epson's yesterday. I'll probably give it one more time before I give them the salty drench by next week. Curious to see how they react to that...'night, Duggs

I learned a little more about why some strains do that. They are indeed strains that do well in hydro. In hydro, nitrogen is kept in check by lots of magnesium. I don't know the exact mechanism, but high levels of nitrogen can be mitigated by feeding high levels of magnesium. Some plants seem to thrive in these high salt environments...certain pheno's etc.

So, in order to achieve high brix/nutrient density there can't be that much magnesium and the nitrogen can be fixed via bacteria, not just via salts. Since so much cannabis is grown in hydro, it makes sense that many of these strains are popular with growers of all sorts.

I'm trying really hard to find a way to mitigate that trait and the "salty" drench in combination with Epsoms seems to do quite well. Subsequent runs of soil also help, as I've included a small amount of K-mag in the re-charge.

Anyways, epsoms is the way to go.

Always love your explanations of the mechanisms involved, Doc. :thumb:

I've got a lot of catching up to do with that side of it. Funny...growing up and also most of my adult life, I've loved everything to do with science, but never enjoyed learning Botany. Now I wish I had given it more of a chance.

It's probably a shame that Hydro has dominated our world so much in recent years. But if anyone can find a way to bend those salt lovers to our will, I have faith that you'll find the answer. I think the journey to that answer (if in the end there is one) will be an interesting one that only enlightens us more about our favorite herb...

Always love your explanations of the mechanisms involved, Doc. :thumb:

I've got a lot of catching up to do with that side of it. Funny...growing up and also most of my adult life, I've loved everything to do with science, but never enjoyed learning Botany. Now I wish I had given it more of a chance.

It's probably a shame that Hydro has dominated our world so much in recent years. But if anyone can find a way to bend those salt lovers to our will, I have faith that you'll find the answer. I think the journey to that answer (if in the end there is one) will be an interesting one that only enlightens us more about our favorite herb...

The same process of finding strains that did exceptionally well in hydro will also occur when hunting pheno's that do exceptionally well in mineralized, high brix soil.

The strains I have that don't taco so easily are very popular.

The same process of finding strains that did exceptionally well in hydro will also occur when hunting pheno's that do exceptionally well in mineralized, high brix soil.

The strains I have that don't taco so easily are very popular.

I agree..I love the strains your grow! They look fantastic...and the few on here that have been lucky enough to try them with you certainly rave about them, also.

I've got one more grow after this one that will use some of the seeds I already have in my arsenal...then I believe I will be transitioning more to the Landrace strains that look to do fantastic in HB. You've certainly made me a believer and though I may "experiment" from time to time, I'll be sticking with the more HB friendly strains. And the more "believers" we welcome into the fold, the more strains will be found that "like" HB.

I learned a little more about why some strains do that. They are indeed strains that do well in hydro. In hydro, nitrogen is kept in check by lots of magnesium. I don't know the exact mechanism, but high levels of nitrogen can be mitigated by feeding high levels of magnesium. Some plants seem to thrive in these high salt environments...certain pheno's etc.

So, in order to achieve high brix/nutrient density there can't be that much magnesium and the nitrogen can be fixed via bacteria, not just via salts. Since so much cannabis is grown in hydro, it makes sense that many of these strains are popular with growers of all sorts.

I'm trying really hard to find a way to mitigate that trait and the "salty" drench in combination with Epsoms seems to do quite well. Subsequent runs of soil also help, as I've included a small amount of K-mag in the re-charge.

Anyways, epsoms is the way to go.

just a quick 2c. one of the more knowlegable farmers who came from the tobacco industry (phd styles) who I have met in the last few years. Not only a guy of our own persuasion, but one who espouses epsoms in amount that would make most people cringe. He isn't an idiot and he doesn't fail. He also had some crazy ideas about pushing higher ph's than everyone in the hydro/coco biz is doing but lets just say thats another story that isn't that crazy or irrelevant.

still a DBHB disciple but jus 2c.

just a quick 2c. one of the more knowlegable farmers who came from the tobacco industry (phd styles) who I have met in the last few years. Not only a guy of our own persuasion, but one who espouses epsoms in amount that would make most people cringe. He isn't an idiot and he doesn't fail. He also had some crazy ideas about pushing higher ph's than everyone in the hydro/coco biz is doing but lets just say thats another story that isn't that crazy or irrelevant.

still a DBHB disciple but jus 2c.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying there, but there are a couple gardening "methods" I'm aware of that use massive amounts of epsom salts.....one in particular is the Mittleider method.

Still, if you add too much you lower brix and while the "taco" might be smaller, the buds won't be as good.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying there

Don't worry I'm not gonna go dumping excess epsoms in and mess up our recipe.

If anything he is probably able to produce more lower quality stuff with his methods compared to the lovely medicine we will have.

I'm not too sure either :p

Sorry for no updates in awhile...plants are doing okay....bud's are swelling. The problem is I'm still sick. Got a wicked case of bronchitis that just won't release its grip easy( 2 weeks and counting). Have good and bad days, wicked coughing at times. I actually had to delay starting a new job because of it. I'm reading all the threads, but just not up to participating much at this time. Hoping to be back to my old self in the not too distant future.

It is day 37 of Flowering...I'll try to get new pics up over the next week or so. They are all relatively short flowering strains (50-68 days), so I'm heading toward that literal finish line soon...

Thanks, Ziggs! It's been a mix of things, but the bronchitis has been the brutal part of it. Feeling considerably better than last week.
Hoping to be back to "normal" soon. :thanks:

Here's to you getting better man. We all have those spells. Hang tough.

:cool:

Thanks Guys! Appreciate the well wishes. :thanks: This has been the toughest lung problem since I had walking pneumonia back in the '80's.

Just feeling worn out. The coughing takes a lot out of me. Thankfully it just comes on occasion.

Looking forward to my first HB harvest...only 3 or so weeks left!:thumb:

Mornin, Duggs...still fighting this thing off...its been stubborn as hell.

Also, moving to a new area has produced some allergies. It seems like the desert South West is the only place I get real allergies. May need a change of scenery in the next year or so. I'm happiest amongst the pine trees anyway.

Yeah...harvest time should be in the next 2 weeks or so. The 9lbs call for about a 50 day flowering, though that is never right and I'm sure they'll go a bit longer...especially in HB. The others will probably come down a bit after that. They are all chunking up pretty good.

I did make some mistakes along the way...being really sick for a bit didn't help. Burned a few because I truly didn't realize how powerful my LED's are and had them under 2 feet away for a bit. Also ran into a Ca/Mg problem that I didn't correct soon enough along with a couple of salt lovers. But the bud's themselves look great, especially on the 9lbs.

I considered this first grow with HB, soil and LED's (all new to me) a learning experience, which it certainly has been, and will only get better with time. Really looking forward to the harvest, the washing, the curing and of course the smoking/vaping/cooking. :thumb:

I will try to get a few bud shots up in the next day or two...have a great weekend (everyone)! :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom