Stevehman's Advanced LED's 800W Diamond Series - Mulitple Strains - Hempy Grow

Beautiful garden Steve! That carm makes my mouth water. Well done!

:goodjob:
420fied, those carms do get frosty, sticky and sweet. Definitely a favorite at the dispensary. Very good yielder too. If I end up with a male Heavy Duty Fruity, I am going to cross the two and make a caramel apple strain :)

It is a little painful up front, but as you can see they do work. Provided you get a good brand, proper size, follow height suggestions and do the rest of the grow well of course. And the end cost over time will be far less.

There are a number of us doing LED grows with journals. I suggest you read them well, take notes. Then take a look at the site sponsors as those are proven and the ones most of us are using.

Until you get 50 posts you wont be able to pm anyone for direct assistance, but I think I can say for Stevehman, myself, and probably Magic Beans, go ahead and ask in our journals if you have questions.

Welcome and enjoy the ride.
As Bassman said, if you have a question, ask away. One of us will have a good answer (or several good answers).

I don't think I am going to buy an HPS and an AC unit to do a test run though.

I will! Except the hps isnt the problem. Those larger LEDs are so expensive! Worth it definitely, just a bit difficult when youre a bit strapped for cash. (dont worry, Advanced, ill be back for more as soon as i can) i really want to do a 600 vs 600. That would be quite a climactic showdown for the hps vs led battle.

For your info, steve, kill a watt in transit. :thumb:

very cool stevehman. I have really been looking into LEDs lately and I like what you have done with them. Actually, I contacted the owner of Advanced LEDs and started a dialog with him regarding some possible collaboration involving grow journals with BPN and Advanced LEDs. The owner of Advanced is extremely cool. I am also considering a very large light purchase and just trying to figure out the best way to go about it. Dang those LEDs seem to hurt so much up front but I can see that it is totally worth it from your results. A $1000 a month electric bill using HID will get old very fast........

very cool stevehman. I have really been looking into LEDs lately and I like what you have done with them. Actually, I contacted the owner of Advanced LEDs and started a dialog with him regarding some possible collaboration involving grow journals with BPN and Advanced LEDs. The owner of Advanced is extremely cool. I am also considering a very large light purchase and just trying to figure out the best way to go about it. Dang those LEDs seem to hurt so much up front but I can see that it is totally worth it from your results. A $1000 a month electric bill using HID will get old very fast........

not only that, you stick out like a sore thumb with bills like that. So much for stealth.

The wattage difference is not that great if you go by Magic Beans grow....200 watt LED vs 250 watt HPS (need to verify actual draw for both). Probably using 2/3 the watts. Most LED grows that do well are using quite a few watts total.....not like the initial hype. I like the idea, but it would be about a 5 year payback here in the midwest based on electrical usage only. I haven't seen any large scale growers using LEDs--probably too much upfront cost. When the price comes down, I will get one, but I can wait for now.

600w GS LED pro bloom: 4.6 amps 550w actual power draw,
Exh fan for room temps air movement: .75 amps 90 w draw

@12c per kilowatt hr x 14.5 hr avg for 4 week veg, 8 week flower = $1.08 elec cost per day.

Times 5 years: $1971 elec cost.
LED cost $1200
Simple exh duct fan from above: $120 for three over the 5 yr lifespan
total cost 5 yrs:$3300. (5yr avg led lifespan)

600w hid w ballast: 5.5 amps 660w draw
650 cfm exh fan: 1.7 amps 204 w draw for lamp cooling ONLY

@ 12c per kilowatt hour x 14.5 hr avg for 4 week veg, 8 week flower = $1.45 day elec cost

five year elec cost: $2646

Digital ballast cost: $170 x 2
good 600w bulbs $100 ea. x 10 = $1000 (if you replace every two grows avg)
8" carbon filter: $160 x 5 (replace once per year)

Cost of 5 yr usage: $4786

Savings over 5 yr period with LED vs HID approx $2140.

I may have missed some stuff, but that's just using some simple calculations based on avg's.

A $1000 a month electric bill using HID will get old very fast........
or get you rich quickly, and let you get old on the beach...
drinks, umbrellas, both in one glass :surf:
Digital ballast cost: $170 x 2
good 600w bulbs $100 ea. x 10 = $1000 (if you replace every two grows avg)
8" carbon filter: $160 x 5 (replace once per year)
I recently bought a new digi 600 with bulb & open hood for $200: HTG Supply
Nobody has yet shown me superiority of "good"(expensive) bulbs.
8" fan for each hood??? The cover glass robs light to create heat; no good.

5 year runs to compare? Has anybody ever run one set-up that long?

I have to say I am also in to the progressing technology of LED's so I don't think I will have the same one for 5 grow much less 5 years.

I am with LED's for things HID cant give - a larger safety margin in that I dont have a 3100(?) degree bulb locked in a closet. No chance of them exploding and causing a fire.

Also no heat signature from whirleys in the air - Priceless!

Thats kinda bullshit, there is heat. I bet they could still see something up if you do it wrong. I am glad that is not a concern, nosey neighbors don't have IR cameras... I think...

a 3100(?) degree bulb
A match flame is that temperature, but lacks the heat to dry & ignite live cannabis.
Likewise a hot HID. If ever one explodes, the arc ends and cooling begins.
Yes, there may be some charring and a mess. I would certainly be pissed, but...

In another lifetime, I was a welder in the construction trade.
Lighting a fire with sparks is not real easy. Fear can cripple.

A match flame is that temperature, but lacks the heat to dry & ignite live cannabis.
Likewise a hot HID. If ever one explodes, the arc ends and cooling begins.
Yes, there may be some charring and a mess. I would certainly be pissed, but...

In another lifetime, I was a welder in the construction trade.
Lighting a fire with sparks is not real easy. Fear can cripple.

I have read many stories on this site of fires. Maybe its the ballast or bulb or w/e if I had a steel structure with concrete floors or I was thinking of buying a shipping container (2k) and burying it for temp regulation, then I would run some HIDs, but not in a wood framed house.

I recently bought a new digi 600 with bulb & open hood for $200: HTG Supply
Nobody has yet shown me superiority of "good"(expensive) bulbs.
8" fan for each hood??? The cover glass robs light to create heat; no good.

5 year runs to compare? Has anybody ever run one set-up that long?

Most people will use glass covered hoods and ducting and fan to get rid of the heat. Your grow room may be different than others, but many people have heat issues and thus have to run a cover and exhaust fan in a typical grow room/tent.

5 yr run was used as a life span of led for comparison purpose only.

Back
Top Bottom