1st Grow - MH/HPS + LED - Advice Welcome!

I've got conflicting advice on this issue. Heard both sides of the fence. There is tons of research that actually says the opposite of what u just said. That's why I tried this little experiment. This little test should be interesting.

Should be Interesting, either way if you don't see a difference it's because your setup is not dialed in and both plants never met there maximum potential. Trimming fan leaves on a setup that is dialed in for a specific strain will mean the plant cannot metabolize nutrients at the same rate as a plant with more leaves that can photosynthetically provide more root exudates to feed the beneficials in your rhizosphere.

Read about what Fan leaves actually do and you will have your answer.

Screenshot_2015-05-22-21-52-57.png
Screenshot_2015-05-22-21-52-32.png

Here are some quick pics. They aren't very good but show how they are progressing. The 2 I trimmed seem to be doing much better than the other. I will probably trim the other after seeing the difference. 1 has actually grown 6 inches this week

I was hoping to get some input on odor control. I have a 4 in carbon scrubber but I'm worried that might not be enough. Any suggestions? I've read good and bad about Ona products but am on the fence. Any input/experience is greatly appreciated!

FWIW, for me, the Ona stuff only worked in my first grow when my plant was in the veg cycle. Once flowering started and the smell really kicked up, Ona was pretty useless. Currently I use a 6" outtake fan pulling air through a carbon filter and exiting the room via ducting. As long as there is negative pressure in the tent, meaning the outtake is pulling air at a faster rate than the air is entering the tent, then the smell gets scrubbed thoroughly. My intake is passive, so even on the lowest setting, my outtake fan creates negative pressure. For absolute odor control, I highly recommend using a carbon filter with a fan over Ona gel.

Thanks snack! Good lookin out. U made a really good point about negative pressure that I wasn't aware of. I didn't realize having more air exhausted out would make a difference. That being said, I have a 6 in fan pulling air through a 4 in carbon filter and moving through my light. On top of that, I have another 4 inch that is sucking air straight out of the tent that I added to help keep my temps down. I have a portable ac unit that pushes air in but it definitely isn't pulling in as much as my 2 fans are pushing out! I'm gonna let it ride and see how it works out. Don't think I'm gonna get a ton of bud out of this grow anyway so I think I'm gonna be cool!

Having some issues with my ladies. I think I might be getting locked out. Not sure if it's from the soil and nutrients if it's from a salt build up. Either way, I have seen little change in my plants in the last 3 days since switching to 12-12. I am considering flushing them with distilled water and a small amount of molasses. I've been told this can help. Does anyone have experience with this?

Here's a little update. Girls are doing well. I have flipped them to 12-12 (I know u don't have to with autos. I did it because of heat problems). Been giving them about a gallon every 3-4 days. Big bud flowering nutes and have also flushed with water and molasses. Ph'd to 6.0. Plan on sticking with nutes for another week or so and then flopping to just straight water and molasses.

Hey Tyler, your girls look good to me, but why do you want to stop feeding them nutes? I'm not sure it's such a great idea to stop nutes entirely, especially while they are flowering.

As far as molasses goes, it's used as a sugary supplement to enhance blooming, but isn't a substitute for the NPK provided by standard nutrients. :peace:

Screenshot_2015-06-07-21-23-46.png
I just flushed them because I was worried I was overfeeding them. I had amended the soil heavily before the grow and had been giving them nutes heavily. A friend pointed out that there was no need though because my ladies had no sign of nute burn. Rookie mistake on my part. Just over thinking. Anyway, I did flush with ph'd water and molasses once but now I'm back to pushing nutes. Actually stepped them up to over 100% of the suggested amount and they reacted very well! Buds are growing slow but they are definitely fattening up!

Quick Update:
Turned my girls to complete dark today. Stretched them to 10.5 weeks under light. It will be right around 11 weeks by the time I cut them. Plan on leaving them in total dark for 3-4 days. Hairs are starting to turn orange and wither up. I will post some pics after the dark period is over.

Screenshot_2015-06-23-21-29-35.png
Screenshot_2015-06-23-21-29-12.png
Screenshot_2015-06-23-21-28-01.png
Alright. New update. I had a friend persuade me to let the girls ride a little longer. The majority of the hairs were still white and she told me that letting hers wait until they had turned helped big time. So...... lights are back on. I did go 2 full days with no light. They actually seemed to flourish during this time. Gained more crystals and started to look healthier. Due to weather conditions I am only running my lights for 8 hrs at night. During the dark period many hairs turned and it's looking like in the next few days until be time to call it quits. Plan on giving them another 24-48 hrs of continuous dark after the hairs darken. Here's their current condition

I think letting them go a bit longer is a good choice. Might be genetics... But what the hell... Take a bow! The color on those plants is beautiful! You've been through some ups and downs on this ride. Time to sit back and enjoy the last week(s). Any pictures of the LOJs?

Any chance you can upload a full plant pic? The pros here have perfect equal colas from side to side. That being said, with the purpling of the buds and redding of the sugar leaves, you may have a plant of the month contender if photographed in good light with a decent camera. Dying to see a full plant spread. Better snap a pic or 2 for yourself, those colors don't come around like that often. Finish strong!

Thanks Spitz! I never planted the LOJs. That's gonna be the next ride. I'll try to get some better pics. I only have my phone camera which isn't much. Honestly, they are extremely small plants. Right around 2ft - and the buds are fairly small for the most part. They don't really compare to most of the cats on here. These Dark Devils are some beauties though! Definitely easy on the eyes!

Back
Top Bottom