1st time grower

points 1-5

side_view7.jpg

Hi jamesnns, plant #1 how wet is it's growing medium? Plant#2 looks more Sativa dominant, and plant#3 looks more Indica dominant. Also I was wondering what may have happened differently if anything in perhaps the transplanting, watering, nutrients, lighting or anything else you can think of, between your plants, #1 and #s 2and 3. If you can think of anything at all it would be a great help for me to know so I or others here on 420 can help you out. Hope to learn about your grow and would like to watch it throughout its process, best of wishes and good luck.
:thumb:

Personally I would cut on the second line from bottom (point 4) but third from bottom is ok too(point 3). Doing either will encourage the side branches to develop. she seems to be heavy sativa influence as CBDstrainman has said in the above post. She is going to stretch to be taller than number 3 which seems indica dominant. So topping her now is a good idea and she may need topping again if you are waiting to put her in flower.

CBD...really, the only diff was watering. As this is my first test grow, as stated in my orig post, I didnt do everything to each plant at the same time. I waited a couple of days in-between before moving on to do the same to another plant.
Im glad I did.
With the almost dead plant, #1, I soaked it until it ran from the bottom..but WAY too early. I did not do this to the others. My soil retains moisture well. Then, after it didnt look good, I gave it small amounts of water every 2 days....it just got worse and worse. I did NOT do this with #2 and #3. I followed Emilyas advice. It took a week to dry the soil out for those plants. After following her adice, both other plants have grown great

your goal would be to have the plants be as close in height as possible to one another. This may be impossible but for intensity light will be better if the lights are at the same level.

Ok so if you dont top #2 (tall one) the main stem will continue to get taller and when you switch to flower the plant if a typical sativa will double in size during the stretch (first two weeks in flower). She may stretch more than that. Most of the auxin in that plant will be at the apical meristem. what does that mean? Auxin exists mostly at the tallest part of the plant. It induces growth at the tip of the plant. So one top in the middle means most of the auxin will be concentrated there. So the most stretch will be there too.

If you do top her (say at point 4) the growing tops will all stretch about the same. The plant will be shorter though so will stretch to be less height total. Also, the auxin will be spread evenly among all the tops as they will be at the same height relative to one another. So instead of one middle cola, you get a bunch of slightly smaller but same size colas. If you go to my hunger games you can see what that looks like. All of my plants are topped. If you go to arteekay's grow you will see a good mix of topped and untopped plants. Em did you top yours?

Ok so the reason you want both lights at the same height is this...in between the two lights there is a zone of light blending. we want to move the lights away from each other sideways until the light is the same between them (blended) as it is directly underneath them. That means anything growing anywhere from center to center will grow with the same intensity. If we have to have the lights at different heights we lose some of that benefit.

I also like to have the plants as close in height as possible so I can send ventilation between the lights and the plants. This is a nice moving air zone that helps keep heat off of the plant tops.

That what I was thinking that it may have been overwatered it would be good to stop watering it and let the soil dry out because the roots are droning and unable to breath air in this state, let the soil dry out and she should com back. You could loosen her soil up and that would help it to dry out and allow air to reach her roots this would help expedite the plants recovery time. Hope this helps you out, we have all done the same thing in learning to grow because we learn as we grow.

Yeh....I transplanted it, kinda 'squeezed' out the extra water. I even used one of my drumsticks to put put air holes down the sides....
It started to look like it worked, then didnt. Maybe it'll survive...IDK

SF..can you provide a video, or a detailed post with pics on how yo top a plant? Or direct me in the right way...thanks.
If I search on my own..like I did with watering..well, we know what happened.

James, its really pretty easy. You just take a scissors and cut right above the node you want to keep. Some cut super close but I dont trust myself and cut a little higher. Like this:

image2352.jpeg

Then as you can see I gently bend down the tallest branches so the bottom branches will get more auxin and grow faster. In the end you will get a very even canopy like this:

hk9_plant_11-2.JPG

which turns into this:

image2872.jpeg

Now yours is more sativa so it wont be as bushy as this example but the same thing applies.

You can also try supercropping where you just bend her at the point you would have cut her, a 90 degree bend that will make a kink in the stem and then support the bent stem with a stake. But that is also traumatic to think about so I understand your being wary of that too. Don't worry after a few grows you will be bending, cutting, tying, all kinds of things to your plants. This is a first grow so no worries man!

Im sorry..right now, at this moment in time....
I cant...I just cant.....
Maybe I should....I just cant, not today.....

:rofl: Man I hear you on that. If you read the first third of my first grow journal, I repeatedly say we will not be doing any stress training on them at all. Logically it made sense, aren't we all happy and productive when we are stress free?

NOPE, we are not, and neither are Cannabis plants. Gotta experience bad to know what good feels like.

I accidentally slammed our Early Miss into a light, breaking her almost completely through right above the first node when she was at 6 or 7 nodes high. I was devastated. Watching her recover taught us how incredible these plants are, and we started LSTing our younger ones. A week or two later I supercropped a Candy Cane that was getting way too high for our tent. The results have been incredible.

For our second grow, we topped our first photo at the second node (very arguably too early) and our autos at the third. We won't have an untrained plant ever again, all will be convinced into the shape we want. They will hardly complain.

But of course Shiggs is absolutely correct, you have to be comfortable with it first and she'll give you nugs upon nugs regardless.

All we can do is try if it works out great and if it doesn't you have absolutely learned from the experience and you can always replace it with a new one right, good effort and I hope it does work out.
:goodluck:

Well..I woke up and decided to cut her.....I met you 1/2 way and just topped her 2 colas down from the top.
I took one leaf and am pressing it between two books..a memento from my first attempt.

Now I see wth youre talking about. Its grown an inch since I cut her and I see more sprouting from those sides. Its making more stalks. Growing UP is now growing OUT. Im getting MORE by doing this.
This is WONDERFUL..more BUDS.
Man, I really wish I had known about this from the start..what a COOL thing.
In a few, if you dont mind, if I get a reply here, Ill post side views of #3, the short bushy one and you tell me what, if anything, I should do.
You guys are FANTASTIC

Back
Top Bottom