420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Justin Goody

I won’t be able to really say until I smoke and taste the flower.
After a tiny learning curve (like all products including MC) I find it to be even easier than the 1 part. There’s no 4,5,6. It’s just 5,5,5,switch to bloom 5,5,5 which is really easy.
As far as smell there’s a bit of a trade off. The GF stinks, pretty bad, but that means it’s good.
MC, when dissolved and stored in a gallon of water for any amount of time smells terrible, and isn’t a “good” bad smell, either. It’s bacteria turning the water rotten.
The obvious difference is price over time and if going organic is what you want, doing it right isn’t quite as cheap as MC. But the taste is supposed to make me a believer. Looking forward to the Pepsi challenge.
Well said. :ganjamon:

And away we grow...
F48151E5-D478-4D7B-9FF8-8ABFC0DEDFD4.jpeg
Happy Monday and happy March, hoping you all enjoy your week.

Good morning, Justin.

When you initially planted your seed, did you plant it in just ProMix or did you add GeoFlora, Dynomyco or Earth Alive to the cup first?

I'm planting mine this morning and I've never used these nutes before.

Good morning, Justin.

When you initially planted your seed, did you plant it in just ProMix or did you add GeoFlora, Dynomyco or Earth Alive to the cup first?

I'm planting mine this morning and I've never used these nutes before.
Actually no, in the cup was just promix and earth alive. It never touched GF nutes until it moved into the 5g pot. And the @DYNOMYCO had not arrived yet.
The ProMix I use (potting mix) has a VERY mild amount of nutes already there, and seedlings seem to do well for 2-3 weeks if needed.

It never touched GF nutes until it moved into the 5g pot.
@HashGirl I would also recommend that you premix your 5gal pots with your GF nutes 2 weeks before up potting as the manufacturer suggests. I didn’t and it set me back a little. Pretty sure Justin has figured this GF program out and is leading the way.

@HashGirl I would also recommend that you premix your 5gal pots with your GF nutes 2 weeks before up potting as the manufacturer suggests. I didn’t and it set me back a little. Pretty sure Justin has figured this GF program out and is leading the way.
I did put the nutes in the soil early but with very little understanding of organic nutrients at the time I probably didn’t keep it moist enough after day 2 or so. Moisture was maybe the biggest part of the learning curve here for me, now it feels dialed in.

Actually no, in the cup was just promix and earth alive. It never touched GF nutes until it moved into the 5g pot. And the @DYNOMYCO had not arrived yet.
The ProMix I use (potting mix) has a VERY mild amount of nutes already there, and seedlings seem to do well for 2-3 weeks if needed.

Thanks, Justin. How much of the Earth Alive did you initially use? The package instructions seemed to indicate that half a package is good for a 5-gallon pot. Since I'm going to be growing 4 GSCs in 4 5-gallon pots, I figured I would mix half a package in with the other nutes and ProMix when I move them to their final home (the 5-gallon pot).

Thanks, Nev. I had heard that info below. However, we don't have a lot of storage space and mixing up enough medium for 4 pots 2 weeks ahead of transplanting might not be doable. That said, I will see what I can do.

Thanks, Justin. How much of the Earth Alive did you initially use? The package instructions seemed to indicate that half a package is good for a 5-gallon pot. Since I'm going to be growing 4 GSCs in 4 5-gallon pots, I figured I would mix half a package in with the other nutes and ProMix when I move them to their final home (the 5-gallon pot).

I started with a much larger package.
I don’t know how much went in the individual solo cup, I mixed 1 gal worth of it (according to the instructions on the package) and filled my solo cups with that soil.
The GF and Earth alive were mixed in proper proportions into the 5g pot (I use 5 oz of GF per feeding) and left sitting while the seedling grew large enough for an up-pot.

Hey Justin! Just now catching up but since I must have lost track of your journal pages ago lol I do apologize but I'm trying to keep up with so many comparisons I'm trying to follow along with I seen your on page 35 and my Instincts from when I was still in high school kicked in and told me to begin here on page 35 haha so hopefully we don't get tested at the end of this comparison. Cheers

Day 70
C5179981-1D18-4F5B-888F-382D796B0F1C.jpeg
Flower Day 17

She’s looking fine other than a very slight yellow tinge around a few leaves, which is also happening in my other GF grow currently.
I’m going to go ahead and do what’s worked before and hit her with Cal-Mag (1-0-0) and if it doesn’t subside right away, another shot of Epsom salts. That cleared it right up last time.
Besides that, which can’t even really be seen yet- she’s doing awesome.
Happy Monday

Day 70
C5179981-1D18-4F5B-888F-382D796B0F1C.jpeg
Flower Day 17

She’s looking fine other than a very slight yellow tinge around a few leaves, which is also happening in my other GF grow currently.
I’m going to go ahead and do what’s worked before and hit her with Cal-Mag (1-0-0) and if it doesn’t subside right away, another shot of Epsom salts. That cleared it right up last time.
Besides that, which can’t even really be seen yet- she’s doing awesome.
Happy Monday
Every organic grow I have ever done has shown the same yellow tips... my ag professor at MU says that this is part of the normal signaling process when the plant tells the microbes through the roots that is has gotten enough and that all is good. I don't think this is a problem that you need to deal with in any way. Also note the slight downward claw at the ends of the leaves, indicating the same thing. If you do treat with the calmag and/or epsom, I do want to watch to see what happens.

Every organic grow I have ever done has shown the same yellow tips... my ag professor at MU says that this is part of the normal signaling process when the plant tells the microbes through the roots that is has gotten enough and that all is good. I don't think this is a problem that you need to deal with in any way. Also note the slight downward claw at the ends of the leaves, indicating the same thing. If you do treat with the calmag and/or epsom, I do want to watch to see what happens.
This is good to know

Thanks for your input and as always, your expertise with organic grows.
So the problem is more prevalent in the younger plants, and at the same age this plant developed a Mag deficiency which went away as you know with epsom.

Here is the younger plant
A681ACBE-FCAB-46DA-80C2-77A660DFFE43.jpeg
this one I’m 99% sure it will clear up with a little extra mag.

Now on this GSC it’s harder to see- I tried to capture a better perspective so you can see the leaf edges.
2F3AE70B-8F9E-450B-9B7A-A533E502E5FB.jpeg
maybe this is a totally separate and not serious issue. I have given it Cal Mag which shouldn’t hurt… and maybe I’m just overthinking the yellow.

As for the bit of leaf claw, a lot of times it’s due in part to the fact that the plant just woke up and I just opened the tent. But what you’re saying makes sense and I thank you for the info!
This is her most recent pic ;)
C52DB5A8-41F8-4A5A-90DB-BA7E63B6E610.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom