600W - Lucy - 2L SOG

Started seeing yellowing tops (light green'sh) on the planted hempies. I gave them a mild 1 : 1 : 1 ratio of 2.5+ml/gal BPN. The ppm's were around 400, and pH is at 6.

I noticed that a good number of the hempies immediately drained while feeding. I guess that tells me their root system isn't yet strong enough to use any considerable amount of water in 2 days. Maybe I should wait for a little stronger root system in the cloner before I plant my next batch. I'll try that and see what differs. I like changing these little variables as I try something new. It really helps understand and tweak setup to own preference.

- One already preset variable is 2 weeks of veg. I'm flipping to bloom as soon as I plant 30+. So 16 clones will have had the advantage of 2 veg weeks.

News from the cloner: A few clones will be ready every day for about 10 days starting tomorrow. I'm hoping by 2 weeks I'll have 40 cuttings in the tent and flip to 12/12. I'll cull the weak ones as I see them flower. I'm completely new to this so I'm not expecting all of them to take off. I'm really hoping at least 30 make it :thumb:

I generally read a lot of journals, suck up the info, and then allow common sense to guide me with little issues. I noticed I don't ask for advice with every post, but please know that I appreciate and love feedback on my thoughts, methods, or anything I'm doing really. I'm a true noob, I just sound like I know what I'm doing :laughtwo:.

Cheers :grinjoint:

I noticed that a good number of the hempies immediately drained while feeding. I guess that tells me their root system isn't yet strong enough to use any considerable amount of water in 2 days. Maybe I should wait for a little stronger root system in the cloner before I plant my next batch.

Don't worry Ismokes. This is normal. Once the babies are transplanted they'll go through a 2-3 day adjustment period before they start growing. You' should see obvious, explosive growth between days 8-14.

Don't worry Ismokes. This is normal. Once the babies are transplanted they'll go through a 2-3 day adjustment period before they start growing. You' should see obvious, explosive growth between days 8-14.

Thank you for the quick reassurance brother. Today I added some more clones (just finished actually). I now have 27 in there. I'm filling one last tub in a week or so, then I'll remove my back-up mothers and flip to bloom.

IMG_057416.JPG

IMG_057522.JPG

PS: I really liked the 8-pack holders (pepsi-cola crates). I felt they would help a lot by stopping me from tipping plants over while watering. Unfortunately their size was very inconvenient. So I went with underbed storage thingies to collect drainage.

The set up is good. The crates are a bit funny for space. Hard to line em up with a fixed light involved. Real stupid question but I feel better now that I have sucssefully topped a few girls! ........ When I take a clone I am basically taking side branch cuttings? Also I can top side branches as well?

The crates were perfect for holding bottles in place. The down side was their size. They drain straight down into the tent, so I would have to fit them in other storage units to collect drain. Finding a storage unit with dimensions to achieve good efficacy with crate-in-storage technique was tough LOL. Does that make sense? I needed something with dimensions of exactly multiple of 10. (crates are 10x20)

ANYWAY, :laughtwo:, on to the few questions. As you know, I'm reaaaally new to taking cuttings as well, so I tried taking from every part. Mostly side branches coming out of the branches, not the main ones themselves. As for the main branches themselves, yes, you can top them. I only say this because I've done it. HOWEVER, would you want to?

Since you're considering topping the side branches, I'm assuming you already topped the main shoot, and LST's side branches to the sides? Now you're looking for more tops. There's two scenarios I've encountered and here's what I did. (please keep my noobness in mind :) )

- The LST'd branches had barely one node along their stem: I topped the branch again after it recovered from the LST and turned all the way up. Gave out a LOT of tops in a 2 month veg period. You would want this if you're flowering this plant rather than keeping it as a mother. It will help you maintain an even canopy of multiple tops = they all get one level of sweet light.

- The LST'd branches had a few nodes along their stem: I didn't top the branches. These nodes along the stems will shoot up with branches from inside the almost 2 dimensional LST'd plant. So without topping the main 4 shoots, the plant just turned into a massive bush. I had to further LST the 4 main branches just to make room for the all growth from the middle.

**** Did these scenarios make sense? I was trying to have you picture the plant as a 2 dimensional PLUS + sign when it has 4 tops LST'd to each side of the pot. Please let me know if you need further clarification ****

Final question: I don't know if you can clone tops :(, never tried it. Most my clones were 5-7 inch branches coming out of the main cola. I found myself cutting bottom branches more than top ones. I hope I didn't screw this up. Now you got me thinking if bottom cuttings will flower like top ones. Ahhh! :laughtwo: I'm sure we'll be fine no matter what.

Makes sense! The two that I have topped have nice even canopies. This I like. So If I start topping the side branches I will run out of room. After reading your post and researching a bit I may just top all one time except the autos. Do you think i will need to lst? I was really hoping to avoid that this time. I will not do it on my autos again. Well....unless I have plenty of space. If I can get a MH/Hps set up then I can use some cfls for side coverage possibly stopping the need to lst. I have two tops in a make shift cloner now. They are close to a week old..I need to look at the journal. They probably will not root but I'll try anyway. Your clone set up is super tight and clean. Thanks for the advice.

Some plants made LST a necessity while others bushed out on their own. You look and judge :)

My cloner setup is from 420fied's tutorial in his signature :thumb: You can make a much smaller one. I'm planning to do a much smaller pump in a 5Gal bucket from now on. Cheap and very effective.

Quick Update

I cleaned the tent, removed the mothers (after taking a few more cuttings), and prepared everything for flowering. All I'm waiting for now is one more tub of clones and 12/12 it is. Fingers crossed :)

Here's a before/after lol

IMG_057614.JPG

IMG_057818.JPG

Looks so clean. I looked for a few minutes studying all aspects of the clean tent. Then I realized your tubs and the wooden holders make it look like the Arc of the Covenant! Just don't have any Indiana Jones types in your house! LOL!

Really all looks good. What do you think one hempie will pull? Kind of makes sense if it pulls an ounce. I would rather get my pound that way!

Heya Spring, :rofl:, it does doesn't it? I needed to raise them and had to improvise with an old strong table and a couple of steel beams. They came from a corner light that no longer works. It sure had strong beams supporting it so.. voila! lol

A clone from 2L hempies averaged a half oz with 420fied. Now this is a different strain, different setting, different GROWER lol... Honestly, if I pull 10g's off each clone then I'm a very happy man. That means about a pound from an area less than 2x4.

My main goal is to better understand and learn hempies. I never intend to grow in anything over 2x2 after this one. I'm moving into a rental apartment, and stealth has become an issue. I figured if I learn this wonderful technique, I can keep a mother in my 1x1, and then flower single-cola clones in a separate stealthy flowering cabinet. I love this method so much because it means my flowering chamber doesn't have to be over 2x2x3 to provide for my needs :). I only grow for myself, it would be silly if I keep going for a pound every other month LOL. All I need is a constant on-going hempy SOG between my very small 1x1 moma chamber + a stealthy flowering cabinet.

I hope you understand my goals better. If you do want to utilize a 2x4 for a hempy SOG, however, I'm sure you can pull a pound every other month. (granted you have a mother, which you will, in 2-3 months :blushsmile: )

Very nice smokes. Hempy is sooooo easy. My 6 clones have taken off. Im going to transplant mine into 2 to 3 gallon buckets next week. You could try to lst a little bit to increase your yield.

Good luck

:peace: :peace:

Thanks for the confidence boost bobulak :)

As for LST, I actually want them to grow unbranched so I'll stay away from that this time. I hope I find a pheno decent enough to keep. Single fat cola is what we're looking for :thumb:

Looking great!! Love how clean and tidy it is

Isn't it so easy to keep stuff tidy and neat with a larger tent? Man I wish I could keep the large setup LOL. Even if I'm only utilizing half the space, it just gives me so much convenience working in and around my garden. Ahhh, this grow is a fair well for convenience :rofl:.. I'll be working on stealth next time. You're working with limited stealthy space so I'm sure you know why I'm dreading the downsizing :laughtwo:, I'll try to make the best of it. Anything but going back to buying dank from college kids LOL.

Cheers bro, thanks for the kind words!

Back
Top Bottom