Actual watts vs brightness

You are absolutely 110% correct and fully explained all the variables.

Now imagine a stoner who knows nothing about lights, electricity, chip BIN, or drivers. They need help picking a light for there first 2x2 grow tent. They stand in the light isle overwhelmed. The salesman gave that explanation. There blood shot eyes would glaze over half way through. Still nodding there head in agreement, they would respond " So,,, yea,,,like,,I was thinking, the green box one with 5000 on it? because like, the green plant." Head in hand you would mutter the 1000 series is what you need. For some people series is a
Yep... marketing is one heck of a drug... I still remember being a new grower walking into the grow shop with a huge sign over my head saying "gullible" and walking out with hundreds of dollars of bottled nutrients and extra supplies I didn't need.. LOL. I'm so glad I found the forums and could nerd out on the plentyful information here. Saved me a lot of money after learning the ins and outs of growing. oh the memories.. ;)

Crazy how psychology and marketing go hand and hand with buyer choice... I recall the one time they took a payless shoe store and "converted" it to a high end brand shoe store by upping the pricing and changing the logos and people were fooled into buying payless shoes at designer prices willfully. The power of deception is mystifying. People were walking in saying "I can feel how quality the materials of these shoes are" when in fact it was just a ploy to trick them into thinking it was better. In the LED grow light industry this deception has run rampant. I used to be that person that would sit on the forums for hours exposing and rebuttling LED growlight sales claims but found out that you are right.. most new grower would ignore the good information and just buy the "marketing" choice light ignoring the good advice... so after I while I stopped testing lights and battling it out with LED claims.. like the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink.

The good thing is the plants are smarter than many think and photomorphology in plants really is understudied, and in fact most plants will adapt their leaves to the light present, and "make up" for whatever lacks.. so with lighting although important even growers with CFL and house bulbs can grow nice buds if used correctly :) My electricity is so expensive, for me its more about my bill than the plants :) lol.

Great point Sativa! Oh what I would give to go back to being young and a new grower again... I had so much more energy then... LOL

The good thing is the plants are smarter than many think and photomorphology in plants really is understudied, and in fact most plants will adapt their leaves to the light present, and "make up" for whatever lacks

there is no replacement for light and you can't bottle it. there's only one way to fix a lack of light.

Oh what I would give to go back to being young and a new grower again... I had so much more energy then
2 mile hike back into the woods packing in amendments and tools. Hauling buckets of water from the creak to the plants. Having to make sure you left no trail and praying a deer won't eat your plants again this year. Vs going downstairs to a fully automated room.. naw I'm good. lol

there is no replacement for light and you can't bottle it. there's only one way to fix a lack of light.
So lacking light isn't what I meant.. as no present light..obviously. What I meant was light lacking ideal properties... Not replacement. For example the difference between a light pushing 600ppfd or 800ppfd will be negligable in results... or a light at light at 2 PPF/joule isn't going to really change a plant vs a 2.5PPF/joule... your electric bill will definitely be happier but the plant will adapt for the most part.

Photomorphogenesis is plants adaptive measures...
why do plants develop anthycyanins, usually during heavy UV or blue light as a "sunblock"...
why do leaves morph under different light intensities, to either limit or grow surface area for light capture,
why to plants stretch under heavy IR and green light, due to shade avoidance syndrome to push out lower shoots towards brighter light...
Why during mid day do plants have a light "rest" period.. this is when the light is most intense and to prevent the plants damage from additional intensity and heat...
heloiomorphism such as light tracking... why do plants leaves face the light... to increase surface area exposed to light and increase photo capture....

yes correct light spectrum, ppfd and other factors can improve a plants quality, but using lesser than perfect lights also can produce nice plants and plants will adapt.

giving a grower the impression that poor light is no big deal is a bad idea. and there is piles of difference from 600ppfd and 800ppfd

giving a grower the impression that poor light is no big deal is a bad idea. and there is piles of difference from 600ppfd and 800ppfd
Not what I was saying but anyways...

yes correct light spectrum, ppfd and other factors can improve a plants quality, but using lesser than perfect lights also can produce nice plants and plants will adapt.

This is my second bp2000 the first was like 21.5x12 and stated a actual watt of 205 as stated on line and in the user manual with .5watts leds and worked great which led me to purchase another bp2000. The new one called an upgrade states an actual watt of 160 in the user guide but 205w online. The leds show .2watts and it's 18"x12" with a slightly larger driver and 1150 leds. The first bp2000 has 656 as stated online and in manual.

How much difference will the led chip size, the actual wattage, and the unit size make in a 4x4 tent? How crucial is the actual wattage in a grow compared to light brightness.

Why would the manufacturer decrease the actual wall draw wattage and changing the led chips from.5w to.2w and adding more led chips? Seems to me that is a downgrade and not an upgrade.
More efficient.

2 mile hike back into the woods packing in amendments and tools. Hauling buckets of water from the creak to the plants. Having to make sure you left no trail and praying a deer won't eat your plants again this year. Vs going downstairs to a fully automated room.. naw I'm good. lol
You could try a tree grow 😁

yes correct light spectrum, ppfd and other factors can improve a plants quality, but using lesser than perfect lights also can produce nice plants and plants will adapt
I ran clones off the same mother under HPS, T12,T5,Compact florescent, grow LED, and lamp LED bulbs. Used wat/square foot as my control. The difference in yield was insignificant. The growth rate, quality of the plant and bud was what changed. Up to 2 weeks longer in veg. Fluffier buds but more medium, less large and small. Effect was unchanged but potency dropped so take an extra hit.
Any ordinary light can grow an ordinary plant. Exceptional lights can grow exceptional plants, given the right environment to support them.

You could try a tree grow
I am to old to be climbing trees any more. My back wouldn't carry the water. My mind would forget what tree I planted in.

Back
Top Bottom