Advice Royal Creamatic Closet Grow

Johnsnow

Hi all!
We are attempting to grow our first plant, its the Royal Creamatic strain and we have a few seeds but wanted to start with one at a time. Our space is very limited and we were trying to figure out the best space/cost efficient way to grow one. We did a lot of research and still couldn't come up with a definite setup so we figured what better place to get answers then from our fellow botanists Anyway we have a few things we were thinking of getting here they are, feel free to scrutinize them or tell us we're stupid were just here to learn and hopefully make a beautiful baby out of our knowledge.

36' 20' 60' tent
250 hps light
10 gallon pot

Questions mainly are, with one plant in a small environment how important will a carbon scrubber be, cooling for the light, and since it is our first grow should we try to make it as simple as possible just to get a feel for it.

John Snow
Watcher On The Wall

Hello, Watcher on the Wall

In the tent you have you can grow 3 plants to a medium size or two to a relatively big size. it all depends on how you trim/train them, but definitely more than one, so maybe you could have more than one strain.

I'd swap the light for a 400w at least, that may be out of budget but it's worth it.

The size of the pot you'd have to figure out if you decide to put more than one plant in the, but for one is good unless it's too high, you have to keep in mind that for every inch the pot takes that's one inch less of growth potential.

A carbon filter is a must if you want to stay stealth and/or you don't want to bother the people who may live with you or visit. One plant is more than enough to stink up the place, so get a filter, they're not expensive, for a tent your size you're good with a $50-$60 filter and that's gonna last for 5-6 months or more.

The cooling in the light is going to be necessary if the temps inside get too high, that's going to depend on your local weather condition, for instance is winter here so mother nature takes care of the temperature, but in the summer things really hot. So that0s gonna be something you're gonna have to figure out once you have everything in place and keep a thermometer in there.

Going all in at first is never recommended, but I say go for it if you feel like you have enough knowledge and you have the skills and time to build a complex system. I'm a bit cocky so I went for broke and built an incredible hydroponic system. I still made some mistakes, everyone does, but fortunately none of them caused any problems.

But DO YOUR RESEARCH first, pick a system and learn all you can about it, that's gonna make things that much easier when you run into troubles.

Good luck!
Valar Morghülis

welcome to 420,

its also worth looking into what nutrients your going to use,
what type of soil or growing medium your going to use,

plus a temp guage will be a good option to keep an eye on temps at canopy level,

a lot of growers make the mistake of over watering the first time they grow, the roots need oxygen so letting the pot dry out is important between waterings,

any problems or questions give us a shout and we will all do the best to help

also why not set up a grow journal so we can follow along from start to finish, that way if you have questions or problems then we will have a good idea of what you have been doing and how the plants progressing,

welcome to 420 mag, by far the best site of its kind,

happy growing, remember their just weeds so need very little

20130803_160552.jpg
hey watcher, just a thought but if you had another space instead of a tent maybe try that. The pic is of my little alcove ive used to great effect. Then you could spend more on your needs like nutes etc. Probably though a tent is a good call. As once you get bitten by the grow bug youll want to expand your plans. Also def go with a 400 min as better light penetration. Good luck

a tent or old wardrobe will do, could even throw some wood together to produce a nice grow area, just line with mylar but dont by the expensive rolls of mylar, just use the well know rainforest sounding site and pick up some mylar blankets, they use them in ambulances and most emergency boxes you have in your car contain them, its just a thin shiny material that they wrap wround people in the cold or marathon runners use them after a race so they dont cool down to quick, cost next to nothing for a pack of 5, their huge as well,

the roll mylar is suppose to be better as its a bit thicker but as long as you dont rip it with something sharp then its pretty solid, ive not had any issues with it and it works well, failing that flat white paint is a very good light reflector so painting walls with flat white paint helps loads but dont use gloss or shiny paint.

grow tents are ok but not easy to hide, if i didnt have to worry then id have a couple of grow tents but their not very stealth once their up, but a wardrobe or built in cupboard works well,

id also agree that 400watt is the minimum you want to go with, any less just wont penetrate as much and you will end up suplimenting your lighting if the plants got to big,

we meet again, watcher on the wall ;)

you can grow just fine on a 250, grown decent buds with half that amount, but as a general rule of thumb, more light = more bud.
if you smoke weed in your house all the time, then a single plant grown on 250 probably wont make your house smell any worse than it already does, but if you already have to be a little descreet, then i would strongly advice a good carbon filter.

i have just had to buy a nice big one for a few hundred £ because a neighbor complained about the smell to the estate agents (realtor?)

lights get hot. a KW of light will pump out almost as much heat as a kw heater. that said, a decent house fan blowing directly onto the 250w will be fine (ive cooled a 600 this way). you have 2 seperate heat managements to consider. making sure the light bulb doesnt over heat AND to make sure the overall air temps around the plant stay optimal.

eventually, all roads lead to rome. and in this instance that means cool tubes. if you grow using HPS type bulbs then cool tubes will be a part of your toolkit sooner or later, its just a matter of when you can afford to buy them ;)

grow as naturally as you can my friend for the firs few times.

take a look at these. normal house bulbs, some half decent chemical based soil availible all over the country mixed with a ton of perlite for drainage.........THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN FED
(yes, the big ones look a little scraggly. i had them outdoors and they got infested, all the damage on the leaves and the clawing e.t.c came from a massive dose of pesticides)
P10207421.JPG

P1020544.JPG

Hi all!
We are attempting to grow our first plant, its the Royal Creamatic strain and we have a few seeds but wanted to start with one at a time. Our space is very limited and we were trying to figure out the best space/cost efficient way to grow one. We did a lot of research and still couldn't come up with a definite setup so we figured what better place to get answers then from our fellow botanists Anyway we have a few things we were thinking of getting here they are, feel free to scrutinize them or tell us we're stupid were just here to learn and hopefully make a beautiful baby out of our knowledge.

36' 20' 60' tent
250 hps light
10 gallon pot

Questions mainly are, with one plant in a small environment how important will a carbon scrubber be, cooling for the light, and since it is our first grow should we try to make it as simple as possible just to get a feel for it.

John Snow
Watcher On The Wall

we meet again, watcher on the wall ;)

you can grow just fine on a 250, grown decent buds with half that amount, but as a general rule of thumb, more light = more bud.
if you smoke weed in your house all the time, then a single plant grown on 250 probably wont make your house smell any worse than it already does, but if you already have to be a little descreet, then i would strongly advice a good carbon filter.

i have just had to buy a nice big one for a few hundred £ because a neighbor complained about the smell to the estate agents (realtor?)

lights get hot. a KW of light will pump out almost as much heat as a kw heater. that said, a decent house fan blowing directly onto the 250w will be fine (ive cooled a 600 this way). you have 2 seperate heat managements to consider. making sure the light bulb doesnt over heat AND to make sure the overall air temps around the plant stay optimal.

eventually, all roads lead to rome. and in this instance that means cool tubes. if you grow using HPS type bulbs then cool tubes will be a part of your toolkit sooner or later, its just a matter of when you can afford to buy them ;)

grow as naturally as you can my friend for the firs few times.

take a look at these. normal house bulbs, some half decent chemical based soil availible all over the country mixed with a ton of perlite for drainage.........THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN FED
(yes, the big ones look a little scraggly. i had them outdoors and they got infested, all the damage on the leaves and the clawing e.t.c came from a massive dose of pesticides)
P10207421.JPG

P1020544.JPG

for now im just growing in an open area with one 26 watt cfl im guessing thats way too little, the store didnt have anything with more watts it was weird. do you think nutes are necessary or just stick with ole naturale?

all the bulbs in my picture are only 23w =)

i would feed a little while they flower to get more buds, im only not feeding mine because they are just a play about, the 5 sweet tooth that are vegging will be fed properly when they flower and my next grow, 10x super skunk auto are going in pure perlite so will be fed for first true leaves.

autos eat less that regular plants, but they do eat. just remember that male urine diluted down with at least 10 parts water (20 better for autos) is a great emergency feed :rofl:

all the bulbs in my picture are only 23w =)

i would feed a little while they flower to get more buds, im only not feeding mine because they are just a play about, the 5 sweet tooth that are vegging will be fed properly when they flower and my next grow, 10x super skunk auto are going in pure perlite so will be fed for first true leaves.

autos eat less that regular plants, but they do eat. just remember that male urine diluted down with at least 10 parts water (20 better for autos) is a great emergency feed :rofl:

Haha thanks for that little fact, any suggestions on some nutes I can find in Home Depot or a store in general so I don't have to order them and waste time ?

i believe that any quality organic general fert will be nice for the plant.
chemically you could try things like phosphogen or growmore but you would have to be real careful checking for deficiencies.

most plants have different food requirements to MJ especially in the cal/mag areas.

personally, just to be safe, i would just buy bags of organic compost and use it to make compost tea for feeding them =)

your much better off either improving on what i know as im still learning about what normal gardening things are good for mj plants, or just getting it right the first time and getting a range of foods designed for our plants, its really the best option.

your basically going to choose a path in the end, either full on naturalist style gardener (i have been known to walk miles of farmland just to bag up some decent fresh animal crap) or go full on 'pro' and order everything from hydrostores, either option is good, getting stuck in the middle can get complicated imho ;)

Hi, if your still using 1 x 23watt bulb then you will need to add more, you will need at least 4 per plant or 4 for 1 plant and 6 for 2, thats about all you can get away with, but you can use as many 23watt cfls as you like, my first journal was a cfl grow and i only used 23 and 30watt cfls,
6400kelvin cfls for veg and 2700kelvin bulbs for flower, so the orange household is the flower and the white light is the veg but a mixture of the 2 is best, so if you are sticking with cfls then you need to get a few of the 23 watt ones, then when the plants gets bigger you may need to supliment with side lighting unless you train the plant,.

so you can stick with the 23 watt from start to finish unless you go for hps, these plants will grow under cfls and you will get a decent harvest, i did but i switched to hps when i was using around 400watt in total in cfls, so made the switch to hps and much happier with the results,

i still use cfls though as they keep node spacing very tight, so all my plants are started under cfls for the first 2 or 3 weeks then they go under the hps for a couple of weeks before i flip them to flower. plus cfls will produce a pretty decent harvest,

Back
Top Bottom