AKGramma's Perpetual Grow

hmmm.... and I was grumping that I had to wear a long sleeve shirt in the backyard this morning at 4am.
70s in the shade for SuperBowl Sunday. Got the avocados lined up for guac and a chunk 'o pork for the BBQ this afternoon.

No matter where we growers live, there is always something we have to deal with. For you it's excessive heat and humidity. For us Northern growers it's the cold and the low humidity, and unless you live out in the country, you have to grow indoors anyway, to conceal your grow from thieves.

Today I switched all veg to 12/12. except the seedlings, one juvenile AK 48 and the double planting of Bubblelicious clones. I MUST reduce the size of my grow, so this is the fastest way to do it.

Here is a beauty shot of 16 day-old Jock Horror babies. These are just a tad larger than the Auto Berrys of the same age. But all babies are thriving!

IMG_080546.JPG

Time for a tour of what I have in veg.

Left side view

Veg_left2.JPG

Right side view

JH-AB_babies.JPG

A couple closeups of Autoberry #2 and #3

AB_2.JPG

AB_3.JPG

I Have 6 in 12/12, those I showed before. One day and they are already stretching. I find that 3 months in veg is perfect for mature plants who will respond quickly after the switch.

Note that the Autoberrys have passed the Jock Horrors, like Autos should. I foresee quick, vigorous growth from the Autos, under 16/8.

Lovely garden AK. I'm at the pondering phase of what I'm going to do this year. Those auto blueberry are interesting.

I don't know if you've grown autos yet, but they are a joy to grow, as they show growth every day. The cross with Ruderalis does reduce the crop, and odor some, depending on strongly the genes express themselves. But my family LOVED the Auto Diesel Berry. She stunk pretty good for about week at peak flower! LOL! and she was one huge COLA! I had to snip her into smaller buds to jar her!

Altho they don't need to be switched to 12/12 to flower, a stubborn Auto can be pushed to perform by switching. I had to do this with an Autp Polar express, who just wasn't expressing her Ruderalis genes. She ended taking as long as a photoperiod.

With autos, you have to plant them just as soon as they pop into their final pots, preferably a tall narrow trash receptacle. They stop growing when the taproot hits bottom and think it's time to flower. A tall trash bin will give you much more yield. Mine were in 14" tall, 3 gallon trash receptacles, and the Auto Deisel Berry grew amazingly fast and topped out at 48 inches.

All great tips much appreciated.

I don't know if you've grown autos yet, but they are a joy to grow, as they show growth every day. The cross with Ruderalis does reduce the crop, and odor some, depending on strongly the genes express themselves. But my family LOVED the Auto Diesel Berry. She stunk pretty good for about week at peak flower! LOL! and she was one huge COLA! I had to snip her into smaller buds to jar her!

Altho they don't need to be switched to 12/12 to flower, a stubborn Auto can be pushed to perform by switching. I had to do this with an Autp Polar express, who just wasn't expressing her Ruderalis genes. She ended taking as long as a photoperiod.

With autos, you have to plant them just as soon as they pop into their final pots, preferably a tall narrow trash receptacle. They stop growing when the taproot hits bottom and think it's time to flower. A tall trash bin will give you much more yield. Mine were in 14" tall, 3 gallon trash receptacles, and the Auto Deisel Berry grew amazingly fast and topped out at 48 inches.

I'm about to sink some autos for the first time. This tip is right on time... thanks!

OOOOO! Please keep me in the loop! I want to see how they perform for you!

Don't top them if you want the fastest and biggest yield. I did tie the main stem down a bit when the Diesel Autoberry hit the lights, but that is all the "training" I subjected her to. Just let your autos do their thing. :goodluck:

Hello all, finally getting back into journaling, and had to get caught up here, love checking on my fellow akers, glad to see gma is still going and looks like going strong, last I checked In you had just ordered your 1st Mars 300, idk if I had mentioned it before but for cloning I do a easy cloner setup that has a water pump and air stone in it, dip the cutting in both gel then powder and the success rate is above 80%
BTW I did a unjournaled lemon og grow, one hermied and put me into seeds, normally I'd think they were just hermie junk but the strain is so potent it may be worth learning to master? As far as I could tell only the purple pheno had bananas, if anyone wants to play with it I'd be willing to send some seeds your way, I'm doing autos again, not sure if they will make it to the green house, they are in a waterfarm/dwc setup , they are growing amazingly fast, here my new thread 4x4 Tents 600 Watt HPS - Several Strains
Wishing you all the very best..
Ps on that log grow we got mites, they were not in the flower room so we just trashed everything , bleached and cleaned , and now that we harvested we are gonna clean and repanda the flower room and hope we never see anything again, with some team work we got pics of the little buggers
1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Welcome back, AKroughneck, Norcaliwood, and Arctic Bowl! Been busy with real life, but I have two tents chock full of several strains. I will have to take pics.

The Autos have huge leaves, and they really responded to my planting them right from sprout into the 14" tall trash bins. A month in solo cups and the Jock Horrors were totally rootbound, so I planted the pair into one trash bin, one on each end. The AK 48s and last of my BBL clones are about halfway to the lights in veg, but I don't like the scraggly growth of the BBL's in veg. Nothing like they were from seed. I will have to let the strain go after harvest. They aren't worth the space.

I hope the ladies in flower hurry up and head towards maturity. I need the room for those waiting in veg! They took their sweet time after the switch to flower. The sativas from my seeding project haven't shown preflowers yet, and they have been under flower for 2 months. They are, however, reminding me why I don't like to grow sativas, really lanky and dropping leaves like mad. I may be culling those in favor of those that are producing. The leaves will make good herbs for cooking.

The hybrids, like AK 48 and Arjan's haze are in early flower, finally. Most of the Hybrid seeds I have, contain good strong ancestries, a mix from both sativa and indica, well-liked strains like Northern Lights, Afghani, Thai, and numerous others.

The happiest plants are those I paired up. Maybe they like company. :high-five: I see better overall health in the doubled-up containers.

I didn't double up the autos, however, due to their fast growth. I wanted to give them all the root space I could.

I also didn't do much in the way of LSTing, as I don't have the room for them anymore. I had to reduce the size of the grow, and eliminate the closet. So that leaves me with a rather small veg shelving unit and a doubled-up flower unit.

I'm not spending as much time with the grow as I used to, but the time I DO is quality time. Trimming old leaves, trimming skirts, pruning suckers that will never amount to much, giving them their nutes once a week, and watering twice between feedings. Oh, and regular, rotating spraying for mites.

Recently the red mites have appeared. Up to now it has only been the tiny black ones. But red mites? I have no clue where they came from. It dead winter here, with nighttime temps in the single digits to minus range. So nothing is coming in from outside.

I am keeping them way down, and culling any fan leaves that harbor eggs, even dead ones. So nothing overwhelming.

I guess that's it for now. :thumb:

AK as far as I know, at least from what I remember of my mite experience- the red ones are just a form of the regular mites. My understanding is that the red ones are the ones that are fully mature and are more capable of going dormant for decades, can survive in space, survive a direct nuclear strike, etc. They're the 'overwintering' form of mite. Maybe I'm describing it wrong, not putting a lot of effort into this explanation, lol. I used to see the occasional red one.

I remembered to feed the ladies again this week, and they all look really good after being trimmed up and sprayed last week end.

34 days into flower, the AK 48s and Arjan's Haze are flowering nicely, but the BBL clones and the mystery Sativas are not even showing pistils yet. Had to replace one of the two timers, as it quit working. Both are now in synch, and the lower lights are now lighting up the lower branches.

In Veg I have 3 Autoberrys at 34 days, an Arjan's Haze clone, a doubled up Jock Horror, and a doubled-up BBL clone. Since all greenery pics look alike, I just took one of a Auto fan leaf bigger than my hand.

Autoberry_leaf_8in.JPG

Now that all my juveniles are in their big-girl pots, and I am on a regular water and feed schedule, they all look happy.:thumb:

I remembered to feed the ladies again this week, and they all look really good after being trimmed up and sprayed last week end.

34 days into flower, the AK 48s and Arjan's Haze are flowering nicely, but the BBL clones and the mystery Sativas are not even showing pistils yet. Had to replace one of the two timers, as it quit working. Both are now in synch, and the lower lights are now lighting up the lower branches.

In Veg I have 3 Autoberrys at 34 days, an Arjan's Haze clone, a doubled up Jock Horror, and a doubled-up BBL clone. Since all greenery pics look alike, I just took one of a Auto fan leaf bigger than my hand.

Autoberry_leaf_8in.JPG

Now that all my juveniles are in their big-girl pots, and I am on a regular water and feed schedule, they all look happy.:thumb:

Did the timer you had to replace control lights in your flower room out of sync with the other one? If they were out of sync, that could explain why the two haven't started flowering yet. Sativas, can take longer to start flowering, but 34 days is a long time. Either your lighting didn't go short enough with the bad timer to trigger it, or you've got one of those sativas that will flower forever. Odd with an ace strain. Most of theirs have the crazy, never finishing, extreme sativa bushiness, bread out except for oldtimers Haze and their F1 crosses made with it.

Morglie's 1st Journal With Ace Sativas In Doc Bud's High Brix Kit

My lighting has been on a schedule of 10 hours day/14 hours night, with the malfunctioning timer having to be switched manually. I was told by the Home Depot guy who works the electrical department that, If you overload timers, they tend not to work at all. So I use one for the LEDs and extra topside CFLs (340 Watts), and another timer for the lower CFLs (80 watts). Since the grow is in my bedroom, I was able to catch it, except maybe once or twice.

I discovered by trial an error that the timers with the built in pins that you push down for on, work the best for me. I tried an electronic timer and could not figure out how to program it. The instructions were less than clear for this old mind. :straightface:

Yes, I am familiar with sativa-dominant hybrids. My first grow was OG Kush (sativa-dominant) and their flowers kept piling on more buds even past 120 days (counting from preflower stage). By the time I harvested, they were colas on sticks, having dropped all their leaves along the way. :laughtwo:

My Arjan's Hazes seem to be flowering in sync with the other Indica-Sativa hybrids, and those so far are flowering on a reasonable schedule.

The sativas I have now are from my own seeds from a variety of mothers, crossed with a pair of bushy mystery male sativas that came as freebies from Nirvanaseeds. I only have room for two of these, and they are tucked into the back corners of the flower unit. I have had to top them twice, because they bolted right past the lights, which are 6 feet above the floor). They want to be very tall, lanky plants, and I have no room to properly tie them down and still grow other strains.

My guess is that they will be in early flower when I harvest the rest of the unit. I might be able to tie them down then, if they are still flexible enough.

Been a while since I posted, but that doesn't mean nothing is happening here. I have had to cut up the mystery Sativas because they hit the ceiling and were still were just lanky-viney-type things. I needed the room for the autoberrys. The 3 gallon buckets were soild masses of fine white roots. This tells me that my home-grown seeds need to be grown outdoors, which is impossible - and against the law - here. They were very sticky, like their mothers, so I expect the dried leaves will make good cooking herbs!

The autoberrys were moved into the flower unit because they needed the extra headroom. No sign of flower yet, however.

Most everything else is flowering: AK 48s, Arjan's Haze, Bubblelicious and were switched Feb 8th, 44 days ago.

Featured is a 7 inch Jock Horror that decided to stop growing and flower under veg! She (on the right) and her sister (the tall one on the left) are STILL in the veg unit, but even the 12 inch sister is showing a couple of pistils at 52 days from seed. Both were born 1-29-2017.

IMG_081552.JPG

Closeup of the Little Jock Horror that Could.

The_Little_JH_that_Could.JPG

AFTERTHOUGHT: Since I only have 2 JH's, one Arjan's Haze, and one double BBL under veg, I might as well switch that unit to 12/12, too and get them all done and out of the way for a new grow. There's nothing more I want to accomplish with them, except to harvest their buds.

Back
Top Bottom