Alaskan1 Sativa Dom Flo n Gro Tent #2

I hope your temps hold Brodda. Gonna pull up a chair, spark one up and start watching and learning. :peace:

Thanks for dropping in and the sub Dumpy. I'm afraid the temps did not hold. Currently sitting at 71.7

Going to remove the pump in this next 24 hr test and throw some 1 litre bottles in there to get the temps down at first and see what happens.

That might be a good idea. Take 4 or 5 2 litre coke bottles, fill them with water and freeze them. Drop a few in when you need cooling. As they melt throw em back in the freezer. It looks like you are running a portable A/C. Maybe point it at you reservoir somehow... I know Puff was having issues with heat at one point as well. You may end up needing a small chiller Brodda.

That might be a good idea. Take 4 or 5 2 litre coke bottles, fill them with water and freeze them. Drop a few in when you need cooling. As they melt throw em back in the freezer. It looks like you are running a portable A/C. Maybe point it at you reservoir somehow... I know Puff was having issues with heat at one point as well. You may end up needing a small chiller Brodda.

I'd need 3 chillers which just isn't in the cards right now
The coke bottles do work but I have to be hone every 4 hours or so to keep changing them out. What kinda life is that?
Puff? Ol Puff always has issues and not growing related (j/k Puff ya know we all :love: ya around here)

Maybe try putting the air pump above the A/C as well. If its sucking in cooler air it might be enough to cool it as well. Just a thought.

Now there is a thought. I know for a fact that the air pump runs about 100 degrees while running. I have taken my laser thermometer and pointed at that lil bugger and that was the temp reading I got. I have a few things I may try and that's one of them.

Well, I thought the temps were pretty good so I took out the airstones and installed the pump back in today. Temps rose back up to 70.7 Might not sound like a lot but much further then I feel safe with. So, airstones went back in and put 2 litre frozen water bottles back in to get the temp back down.

I think I'm going to run a few tests on the res

1. no air stones, no pump
2 pump only
3 one air stone only
4 two air stones
5 two air stones and pump

See which gets me the best stable temps

Wondering how this went. :confused:

Thinking the pumps are making heat if internal to the res. I wonder if a waterfall chiller would work? DIY maybe? :hmmmm:

And then there is this..

Ghetto Chiller

Is your res in direct contact with concrete or can it be perhaps? I am thinking thermal conductor... and what size is that contact area. Thinking surface area exposed to cooling, or heating for that matter. Thinking is there a diff with a low rectangular type or a tall narrow cylinder?

Heat is an energy and it travels to cold. Example, heat escapes your house, its not the cold creeping in. Keep this in mind when laying it all out. Heat loads and losses both. Consider all your options..

Wondering how this went. :confused:

Thinking the pumps are making heat if internal to the res. I wonder if a waterfall chiller would work? DIY maybe? :hmmmm:

They are internal but the heat they produce is minimal at worst. When I pick them up I feel no heat at all.
I tossed the air stones and did something a little different. I had all 4 ballasts within 2 ft if this res and this is the only res having issues. The heat was blowing in the direction of the res. I also had the air pump next to the res, 6 in away. I removed the ballasts and the air pump far far away from this res.
Now lets see what happens :thumb:

And then there is this..

Ghetto Chiller

Is your res in direct contact with concrete or can it be perhaps? I am thinking thermal conductor... and what size is that contact area. Thinking surface area exposed to cooling, or heating for that matter. Thinking is there a diff with a low rectangular type or a tall narrow cylinder?

Heat is an energy and it travels to cold. Example, heat escapes your house, its not the cold creeping in. Keep this in mind when laying it all out. Heat loads and losses both. Consider all your options..

Smokz that is a cool thread TY :thanks::thumb:

Yes I wish everything was sitting on concrete lol Be able to keep things a lot cooler thats for sure

If higher temps seem to be occurring when the air pump is on, perhaps adding 30 feet of coiled. copper line will help dissipate the heat energy in the air...set the copper coils in front of the output on your ac unit. will probably be enough. That is correct though. the theory behind ac isn't adding cool, its extracting heat. By passing the warm air through the copper or aluminum coil that is coiled over the ac vent you are extracting heat energy from the air inside the coil.... just a thought. Also if your pots and piping are dark they could be converting light energy in your tent to heat energy. A couple rolls of that bubble wrap silver coloured insulation and white electrical tape may go a long way for you as well. I know a girl who also took the copper coil and wrapped it tightly around the outside of her incoming water pipe and circulated res water through the copper coil. Every time the water was used in the house it would cool her res a bit. She has a chiller as well but she looked at it as every little bit helps. She was a cool but crazy engineering student.

I'd need 3 chillers which just isn't in the cards right now
The coke bottles do work but I have to be hone every 4 hours or so to keep changing them out. What kinda life is that?
Puff? Ol Puff always has issues and not growing related (j/k Puff ya know we all :love: ya around here)

What the hell did I do now? Who did I piss off? :)

If your 3 grows are in the same room but 3 different tents and 3 different reservoirs, you could probably get away with one chiller. You should be able to just use one res for the pump feed of the chiller and the other 2 would just have heat exchangers in them. This way you could still have different nutrients in each reservoir and also prevent having disease/insects being transferred through all if one was to have a problem.

This is me just having a reservoir wet dream, dont know if it work but cant see a reason why it wouldnt. Set the Temp for 65f and the 2 with just heat exchangers will probably run just slightly warmer, maybe 67f.

chill.png

Waterfalls are used in cooling towers, in industrial applications. Drawing air through a curtain of air cools it very well. I can only suggest what comes to mind as I have no experience in these matters directly. I wonder if a pump rather than air was used for aeration and cooling via an active waterfall in the res. An external pump would best serve this purpose. I don't think you can tell if the pump is heating the water by feeling the pump. How fast does it get hot without the water? That would be a more accurate example by hand.

Waterfalls are used in cooling towers, in industrial applications. Drawing air through a curtain of air cools it very well. I can only suggest what comes to mind as I have no experience in these matters directly. I wonder if a pump rather than air was used for aeration and cooling via an active waterfall in the res. An external pump would best serve this purpose. I don't think you can tell if the pump is heating the water by feeling the pump. How fast does it get hot without the water? That would be a more accurate example by hand.

Like a Bong....

Well currently I have some frozen coke bottles cooling the res. We shall see if the res stays cool after the changes I have made last night. Right now the room is staying at a cool 68 and each tent is at 75 internally. I have the louvers of the AC moving up and down to get better airflow directed right at that res.
Time will tell my friends. I really do appreciate all the thought you guys have put into this.

Back
Top Bottom