Bard's Second Grow: Outdoor, In-Ground, Dr. Seeds Fast Genetics

They just started to stretch as well. They're chugging along nicely. I'll be posting some pics shortly.

Awesome! I forget... did you say yours have pistils? All four of my started showing pistils about 5-10 days ago. I wasn't expecting to see any until about mid-August. Chalked it up to the "fast" genetics.

Look forward to seeing your photos.

Not much to report on the four outdoor girls. Chugging along beautifully. I did give them a top-dressing of Gaia Flower nutes about a week ago. And we've had a couple of nice steady rains that watered it in well. You can definitely smell them when the wind blows, or when I am working on them. I had to "extend" my stakes, as they were outgrowing them. Pistils well underway...

I love it when they start to smell. Go Team Stink!

Given the vapors coming off them already, it is going to be a stinky Labour Day Weekend for sure!

How's life with you, Sauga?

Happy 420 Day!

Still pretty much a novice, but I've enjoyed my first grow so far - still in progress. With the nicer weather approaching, I am planning to do an outdoor grow this summer. The season is relatively short here in Ontario, and so I considered some different options, including autos. Got some good advice from the "Outdoor Growing" forum here on 420. I decided that the best compromise was to use "fast" flowering photo period hybrids. I ordered from @DrSeeds again for these. It seems that they almost always have a 3-for-2 deal and since I am only a few towns away, the seeds arrive overnight - literally.

The "fast" genetics are supposed to have a flowering period of less than eight weeks, which works perfect for the day-length and typical first-frost date for me. @Old Salt found some data that he shared with me showing that early/mid-August day-length should trigger blooming, and typically first frost is mid-October. Fingers-crossed we don't get an early frost!

Descriptions/data from the @DrSeeds website:

Cinderella 99:
Cinderella 99 is known by many names including C99, Cindy 99 or just plain Cindy, but there’s no doubt that this is one of the most popular Dutch strains ever created. It’s a robust mix of Jack Herer and Shiva Skunk made popular by massive yields, short finishes, high potency levels and a light, fruity flavor. With solid Sativa-dominant genetics, feminized Cinderella 99 produces a mostly cerebral high that lifts the spirit and eliminates all stress.

Critical Mass:
6-8% THC, 6-8% CBD. Large yield. Earthy, sweet, floral notes. This should be a nice 1:1 strain for sleepy meds.

I got my seeds on Monday, April 15, and set three of each strain (six seeds total), in a damp paper towel that night. 24 hours later, five of six had tap roots, and by 30 hours, six for six. Moved them to Solo cups with pure, buffered coir, domed lid, warming mat, on Wednesday morning. When I checked last night (Friday) they were all above ground. So 4/19/19 is Day 1. Removed the dome and heating mat just now. Cinderella is on the left.

My plan is to keep them under old-fashioned fluorescent tubes for the next several weeks. They will be moved temporarily into 1-gallon pots when needed. Once the weather forecast looks good, they will go outside into the ground (corner of the veggie patch that has good soil and lots of sun). That will probably be somewhere around May 25-June 1. I wanted them to get a jump on the season so I am starting them indoors. But I am hoping the light set-up will be adequate to keep them going until then - might add some CFLs if they start to look too leggy. I have only one small indoor grow tent, and it is full with my current girls, who will be flipping to flower mode in the next week, so that is not an option. I'll be picking the best two seedlings of the three (total of four plants) to put outdoors - legal limit here, and what I have for space.

Will post here only infrequently, until I do the outdoor transplant. Hope that you will come along for the ride!

Hi @The Bard ... I am going to try and make it through your grow journal tonight ... :)

Hi @The Bard ... I am going to try and make it through your grow journal tonight ... :)

Awesome! To be honest, this outdoor grow journal is pretty dull. LOL.

The girls have been taking care of themselves just fine. I've tried to stay out of their way, just top-dressing with fertilizers and tying the stems up when they get floppy. Otherwise, nice to watch them grow, but that is about it.

My first grow is more interesting, to me anyhow, but maybe because it was my first. Learned lots along the way in that one - mainly what not to do.

Thanks for stopping by!

I'm excited about the fast genetics. I didn't want to do autos outdoors, as I am hoping to grow some larger plants - that's why I started them indoors, to get a jump on the weather. Last frost around here is about May 24, and first frost mid-October, so five months frost-free. Both of the cultivars I picked out flower in less than 8 weeks, so as long as they start by early/mid August, I should be ok. At least, that is the theory!

I'm really enjoying how the SweetSeeds Red Mandarine F1 Fast is growing in my garden ... and you said they work well outside in Ontario right?

The girls have gone camping... all summer! I got them in the ground this morning. BEAUTIFUL day here in southern Ontario. I started with six seeds (3x Cinderella 99, 3x Critical Mass, both "fast" types). All of them germinated, but one of the CM seedlings was deformed, so she was eliminated in round 1. A couple of days ago I gave away one of the C99s to a friend of Mrs. Bard who kept killing her seedlings. So I am left with four, two of each, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I did quite a bit of work on the soil back in April, and digging the holes today things looked good. Lots of earthworms! I went light on the nitrogen sources, but pretty heavy on the calcium, and let it all brew for the past six weeks. The dirt is still quite clay, so this fall I will add a ton more sand to it. I'll need to remember to go easy on the supplemental watering this summer.

Here they are. View from the deck looking down. Left to right is: C99/CM/C99/CM. The greenery nearby is my asparagus patch (which yielded great this spring). It will grow quite tall, but remain "wispy" so my hope is that it creates a visual screen from prying eyes, but still lets lots of sunlight through. Plants should get 8+ hours a day of direct light (was early morning when I took this photo). Excuse the dandelions... need to do some weeding.

Was that enough room for outside?

I'm really enjoying how the SweetSeeds Red Mandarine F1 Fast is growing in my garden ... and you said they work well outside in Ontario right?

MMMM... red mandarin sounds delicious! Will have to look that one up.

So far I am really happy with these fast genetics. Plants have done well, and are quite tall - the spike on the biggest one is about nose level on me, and I'm 6'2". :)

I saw the first pistils over a week ago, around July 30. So about 2 weeks earlier than I was expecting. According to @DrSeeds website, they should finish in 8 weeks. Add a week or two cushion, and that would put me harvesting at the end of September to early October. Typically first frost in this neck of the woods is about the 20th of October, so I should make it.

Hopefully they keep chugging along.

Was that enough room for outside?

The outer leaves on the plants are touching each other, but not crowding. I probably should have allowed another 6-12" between them. I'll try to remember to take a photo "top view" tomorrow - I can look over my deck straight down on to them.

:thumb:
Same thing here. I have two on the deck but keep it low key for the those reasons. The wife filled the rest of the deck up with cherry tomatoes, hot and sweet peppers and cucumbers. All in fab pots and doing really well. She has her main garden which is quite large but it's like me growing weed, she can't get enough.
Enjoy your week!

Have you had any issue with drones ... watch out for them!

Have you had any issue with drones ... watch out for them!

As in... flying law enforcement? No. LOL. More worried about nosey neighbours getting a whiff. Lots of trees in the area, so the drone would have to be right overhead, and pretty darn close/low. But I'll keep an eye out! :)

Awesome! To be honest, this outdoor grow journal is pretty dull. LOL.

The girls have been taking care of themselves just fine. I've tried to stay out of their way, just top-dressing with fertilizers and tying the stems up when they get floppy. Otherwise, nice to watch them grow, but that is about it.

My first grow is more interesting, to me anyhow, but maybe because it was my first. Learned lots along the way in that one - mainly what not to do.

Thanks for stopping by!

I know you topped ... and you did what looked like a quadline ... was it actually mainlining?

Back
Top Bottom