Building a grow room in a shed need help please

HigherTheHigh

Hello everyone :).

I have a 6x8 shed im wanting to partly convert due to our house having renovations this year and prying eyes is one of things i really cant abide.

I only want to convert 2.5x6ft of the shed, so basically right at the back then over time when i build the shed bigger the grow room will get bigger by just adjusting the wall further out, but for now im only wanting to grow 4 plants, i may do a sog grow of 10 once my RQS seeds are finished :).

I need it thermal proof so nothing will pick it up, ie police helicopter ect, so i will need to know basically everything.

Im growing in soil and as well you know its basically a water every 3-5 days so the less time im in there the less eyes see me wandering in and out, i live in a neighbourhood where if its not nailed down or welded down they will take it, even if there friends!

My plan is 2 600w HPS lights in cool hoods or 2 400w hps lights, 8" carbon filter which is 24" long hooked up to a 6"tornado acoustic extractor, 6" tornado acoustic extractor for my intake, 6kg of co2.

Thats where my plan ends as i need help with materials ect, so my questions are really:

Ply or OSB?

9 - 12 -18mm?

Diall Bubble Insulation or something else?

What reflective material inside?

My shed is 12mm shiplapwith around 35-8mm beams.

Im also thinking off bottom feeding with a tray so im not in there as much, whats peoples thought or would a drip system be better?

What's the reasoning against a tent in the shed? I never considered thermal cameras from helicopters...but if you had a tent venting into the shed and then passively vent the shed, that should keep the thermal signature normal. What are min/max temps in your area? If you are in a tent, you could go dark in the day to minimize heat. Plus a tent gets you in and out w/o the neighbors wondering what all that pounding is...:)

The height inside is no good at all bud, its around 6ft tall peak.

Average night time is around 0c - 5c and the average daily is upwards or around 10-15, but, temps will rise dramatically come another month or 2, but im running puple genetics so im thinking if the temps are cold at night that may bring the purpling out, i wouldnt say its quite a cold shed inside :).

The height inside is no good at all bud, its around 6ft tall peak.
Do you currently have a tent? You could use it w/o the frame and modify to fit your shed height.
Average night time is around 0c - 5c and the average daily is upwards or around 10-15, but, temps will rise dramatically come another month or 2, but im running puple genetics so im thinking if the temps are cold at night that may bring the purpling out, i wouldnt say its quite a cold shed inside :).
You probably need to consider the next six months temps since that is when you'll be growing...high temps are always harder to deal with, because it's easier to trap heat than cool an area.

I did think about it but its more hassle than its worth, i have a good decent budget soo thats all good.

The heat shouldnt be too much of a problem as iv got a tree shading over part of the potential grow area and iv got the cool hoods :).

I did think about it but its more hassle than its worth, i have a good decent budget soo thats all good.

The heat shouldnt be too much of a problem as iv got a tree shading over part of the potential grow area and iv got the cool hoods :).
So the hoods vent outside the shed?

You got me worried over those helicopters :rolleyes:
I’ve seen them flying blew, out threw Charleston, orrington, they look for areas that are doing big grows. Heat signatures of plants are easy to pick up, pot has a unique signature, a tomato plant lols like a + from above whereas pot plants look like an X from above

So i went for 11mm osb bourds, 38x50mm beams, my plan is to spray foam on first, then cut off the excess, then visqueen sheeting then silver 3mm bubble wrapping then 11mm osb bourding then reflective sheeting inside.

Hopefully have it completed this weekend.

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to make a tight sealed door?

but im running puple genetics so im thinking if the temps are cold at night that may bring the purpling out.

Color changes happen towards the end of Flowering, so talking however many weeks/months you are from the last 3 weeks or Flowering or so.

Flat white paint on your plywood/OSB/whatever walls reflects just about as well as anything else, cheaper and no chance of getting hot spots like with some of the other reflective film stuff. No idea on heat signature as not a problem here but not sure anything masks it 100% (and your power bill spike even harder to hide), so I was worried more about insulation from temps, so put the foam board insulation on concrete floor and and wood on top of that and just regular insulation in walls/ceiling and my wood on top of that. Still gets cold in there in winter and warm in summer, though I'm using LED so less heat on either side of those temp issues.

I ended up going for the diamond reflective sheeting, its coming tomorrow so hopefully things should work out well with it.

All of my material is due tomorrow too but weathers not looking the best so maybe it might be put off getting made till sunday or monday, hopefully not :).

I'm pretty familiar with a set-up like you're building. LoL

That's been the way I've grown for years now. I'm in an 8X8 shed now, with a 5X8 grow area. Swing by my Temple of Bloom journal if you ever want to check it out.

Biggest problem I've encountered is temps. HPS are always a bit tough to handle, but I'm also fighting hot ass TX weather. Dialed in now, but I've had my fair share of oops over the years.

Feel free to hit me up if you ever have questions...
:snowboating:

The biggest problem for me is going to be smell and i need it really down to a T where there is no leaks, iv got myself some spray foam to put under the bourd but im thinking of running plastic liner in there too.

Im starting to build it tomorrow as the plants need to be out the house by the weekend really, im looking at getting a temp controller and humidity controller, the problem is if i run my cool hoods the bulbs will run inline instead of above 2 plants at a time if you get me?

Im pretty certain though that if i dim my bulbs to 400w each thats basically giving each plant 200w a piece which is pretty good, once these 4 plants iv got in veg are done i will be down to only growing 3 plants each time with a good 2sqft each plant.

I know what you mean about the heat though, summer is going to be killer for me, but hopefully we maybe be able to keep them cool :).

I will upload a few pictures as the day goes on tomorrow, iv bought a double socket to stick inside for extra fans too.

Yeah i would connect them from 1 part of the outside straight through, so im always pulling outside air straight through them keeping them cool.

Because a random shed expelling hot air steadily/constantly 18 (or at least 12) hours per day, seven days per week isn't a bit suspicious?

From your description of your neighbors, you might want to rethink that. Sooner or later, one of them will probably ask why you are "air conditioning" your shed, whatever you think up to tell them won't be believed, and they'll try to figure out a way to get a look inside.

<SHRUGS> That's just a guess. But it seems like it might be safer to do this inside your house.

Im half way done, problem is i never bothered putting insulation in so i will have to put holes in then spray the expanding foam in.

As i was building it today, for a small shed it was absolutely boiling, if i grow in there in the summer and inside the house for winter, but i do think a air conditioning unit is going to be a must.

Back
Top Bottom