Day 8.

40B33880-1103-4EA2-BBB2-98F5B6139CD2.jpeg

It’s just so weird to me how I’ve never ever had a foam issue in res. Not until using the fox farms stuff. My water is at a constant 62 degrees F. My water is fine until I add the cal mag.

I also run beneficial bacteria in my reservoir.
Another DWC grower here…

62° for res temp is low enough that you might get a nute deficiency. I don't recall which chemical in particular (for some reason I'm thinking N) where uptake will slow at that temp. When I started growing I "did the research" on water temp and the change in dissolved oxygen that occurs as water temp decreases with minimal < 68°F, so that's where I set my water chiller.

You're said that you're adding Cal/Mag for this grow - is that because you had C/M issues in previous grows? If so, if your res temp was that low, that could be the cause of the nute issues.

[time passes]

I did a quick Google on "cannabis - effect of water temperature on nutrient uptake" and a couple of the hits discussed that P uptake is diminished at 15°C. All the sources that I read recommended 65° as the minimum and there was one mention about cold water reducing root growth.

You write "a constant 62F" - relocated to Michigan is that ground water?

Another DWC grower here…

62° for res temp is low enough that you might get a nute deficiency. I don't recall which chemical in particular (for some reason I'm thinking N) where uptake will slow at that temp. When I started growing I "did the research" on water temp and the change in dissolved oxygen that occurs as water temp decreases with minimal < 68°F, so that's where I set my water chiller.

You're said that you're adding Cal/Mag for this grow - is that because you had C/M issues in previous grows? If so, if your res temp was that low, that could be the cause of the nute issues.

[time passes]

I did a quick Google on "cannabis - effect of water temperature on nutrient uptake" and a couple of the hits discussed that P uptake is diminished at 15°C. All the sources that I read recommended 65° as the minimum and there was one mention about cold water reducing root growth.

You write "a constant 62F" - relocated to Michigan is that ground water?
Hello buddy!

I just wanted to add the fox farms cal mag as an experiment and quickly learned I needed none organic. That stuff just didn’t sit well with my reservoir and would foam up almost within hours.

Is what it is :) after reading other people’s issues I do believe something with the air stones in the water is the cause…

It is well water! Right from the tap! I was probably a little self medicated writing that. The temps in water do swing a few degrees but are now normally above 65.

Hello buddy!

I just wanted to add the fox farms cal mag as an experiment and quickly learned I needed none organic. That stuff just didn’t sit well with my reservoir and would foam up almost within hours.
Well, that's what experiments are for, right?

Is what it is :) after reading other people’s issues I do believe something with the air stones in the water is the cause…
I bought a "tent kit" that came with standard air stones.I switched to Bubblemac airstones which are touted with "Service life at PH Below 8.0 UNLIMITED". I've done a couple of grows with them but can't say that it made a difference. For me it was another "remove the variable from the equation" issue.

It is well water! Right from the tap! I was probably a little self medicated writing that. The temps in water do swing a few degrees but are now normally above 65.
Ah, good. 62°'s pretty cold. I hear that it gets so cold in the UP that ice flows from the tap…

Well, that's what experiments are for, right?

I bought a "tent kit" that came with standard air stones.I switched to Bubblemac airstones which are touted with "Service life at PH Below 8.0 UNLIMITED". I've done a couple of grows with them but can't say that it made a difference. For me it was another "remove the variable from the equation" issue.

Ah, good. 62°'s pretty cold. I hear that it gets so cold in the UP that ice flows from the tap…
I don’t know about I’ve from the tap hahaha maybe though hahah

I find that just the basic air stones for an aquarium will do… I’m sure better more expensive options out there.

Day 10. She is doing very well! Couldn’t be happier with this little bag seed. Very nice root development! Lots of fish hooks. Nothing has changed climate wise as of yet but changes to light spectrum and intensity are on the horizon!

05DC5605-1F81-4080-BE8B-9915BED8FDF4.jpeg

9BFAB79D-70FA-4FAF-B457-C3DEE7DD6D62.jpeg

Hi Delps, it's mag and it has a 64f threshold in soil before uptake is difficult. Water seems like it may be the same. Not in water here buy like to watch. Actually I went to SIP tech this grow so kind of I guess.

Hi Delps, it's mag and it has a 64f threshold in soil before uptake is difficult. Water seems like it may be the same. Not in water here buy like to watch. Actually I went to SIP tech this grow so kind of I guess.
Thank you for providing that info. That's a metric of how the plant functions, not the medium so it should be the same for SIP, soil, or any type of hydro.

I went to SIP tech this grow so kind of I guess.
SIP looks to be a great way to grow. I'll poke my nose into your journal to check it out.

SIP has some resembles to hydro grows in how they develop but DWC is even a bit faster and can plump up things even more, but you're almost getting this rate of development.
And you can get large root systems with DWC, like a 2foot plant with over 6feet of roots.
But sipping is by far the least cumbersome growing method I've encountered and it's explosive too but yeah this DWC stuff is in the highest gear as this is going swimmingly by the looks of it.

Thank you for providing that info. That's a metric of how the plant functions, not the medium so it should be the same for SIP, soil, or any type of hydro.

SIP looks to be a great way to grow. I'll poke my nose into your journal to check it out.
SIP has been fun! This is my second try at it. There's a learning curve like anything. Cal and Mag have to be dealt with for me in LOS but that's going good now. I'm happy to get wet!

Unfortunately this journal will also come to an end. I have encountered this mold that has infected two different plants. It starts at the base of plant near the plug. The stem turns black and turns soft. The only common thing between the two plants is the plug I used. I’m getting new plugs ordered and doing a very very very deep deep clean on everything today. It sucks but I will now be ready to start the comparison grow journal right away.

Unfortunately this journal will also come to an end. I have encountered this mold that has infected two different plants. It starts at the base of plant near the plug. The stem turns black and turns soft. The only common thing between the two plants is the plug I used. I’m getting new plugs ordered and doing a very very very deep deep clean on everything today.
Sorry to hear about this.

It sucks but I will now be ready to start the comparison grow journal right away.
Great attitude!

Unfortunately this journal will also come to an end. I have encountered this mold that has infected two different plants. It starts at the base of plant near the plug. The stem turns black and turns soft. The only common thing between the two plants is the plug I used. I’m getting new plugs ordered and doing a very very very deep deep clean on everything today. It sucks but I will now be ready to start the comparison grow journal right away.
It's not a matter of if but when will you experience pathogens and fungal growth in DWC without running a chiller or oxidizer. If you go the bacteria and chiller route be sure to use a fungicide with only bacillus amyloliquefaciens in the listed content.

Back
Top Bottom