Come Grow With Me: A Beginners Guide

Hi Buds. I’m loving this journal. I am a newer grower and would have loved to have a “from the beginning“ basic tutorial like this. I’ve been reminding myself to make a list for a little toolkit in anticipation of next year’s plans and I’m sure I’ll pick up some little tidbits here! There is so much info on the site but a lot of it is fairly spread out (my opinion), and I, like many, have been fortunate to get help from members here - but it took me a couple of months to be brave enough to ask a question and by that time I was desperate for an answer! I had quite a wild ride this summer and have a few diy tips that were passed to me that I can share. How do you plan to segregate them (or do you?). Hopefully that makes sense! Thanks again! :welldone:

In part a reply to E and OP. The watering is on schedule and until they 'dry' they get a spray on top when its crispy lol the saturation interval is several days usually 4 to 5 right now
My concern is this, it's time to feed to runoff and I have to use the MC to feed. Do I just water it with the mixture of nutes by the gallon, to the runoff point? Or am I using a cup of MC nutes and the rest is clear water? Should l leave the runoff in the tray and let the plant soak it back in?
There are blanks in information I have that I am trying to fill in without experimenting to much outside of what I am following here. I like the results I've obtained in the past, but I cannot ignore the obvious..when I'm investing more than just time and sunlight lol

As far as how much I feed it varies through the plants life. A small plant doesn't drink as much as a large plant. I'd average about 5 - 12 oz. cups of nutes in a 3 gallon during Veg. But when it started to bloom it took a lot more. Near the end of flower it would take about 10 - 12 of the 12 oz. cups to get run off. There's really no set amount. Just water till you get run off out the bottom every time.
As far as the soil, A bag of FFOF fills about 2 of the 5 gallon pots. I usually mix my soil from my last grow in with new soil about 50 / 50 to start my plants. Then 100% new soil when I up-pot. It's worked out pretty good so far.
Yes, this is a Fem / Photo.
Hope this helps some.
Helps tremendously sir, I noticed different numbers on the FFOF soil mix looking on wallymart dotcom ( the only place I looked yet shits pretty goddamned expensive iyam JFC) I dont know if they are just stock numbers or what maybe they have different mixtures?. So 1.5 cubic feet fills about two five gallon fabric pots and no fillers (perl/verm) added before?

In part a reply to E and OP. The watering is on schedule and until they 'dry' they get a spray on top when its crispy lol the saturation interval is several days usually 4 to 5 right now
My concern is this, it's time to feed to runoff and I have to use the MC to feed. Do I just water it with the mixture of nutes by the gallon, to the runoff point? Or am I using a cup of MC nutes and the rest is clear water? Should l leave the runoff in the tray and let the plant soak it back in?
There are blanks in information I have that I am trying to fill in without experimenting to much outside of what I am following here. I like the results I've obtained in the past, but I cannot ignore the obvious..when I'm investing more than just time and sunlight lol
When using Mega Crop you never use just water. It's all nutrient mix every time. It's a Chelated Nutrient which means the plant will only take up the amount of nutes it needs. I need to find @Emilya info about Chelated Nutes. She explains them really well & I know I have that info in a past journal.

Hi Buds. I’m loving this journal. I am a newer grower and would have loved to have a “from the beginning“ basic tutorial like this. I’ve been reminding myself to make a list for a little toolkit in anticipation of next year’s plans and I’m sure I’ll pick up some little tidbits here! There is so much info on the site but a lot of it is fairly spread out (my opinion), and I, like many, have been fortunate to get help from members here - but it took me a couple of months to be brave enough to ask a question and by that time I was desperate for an answer! I had quite a wild ride this summer and have a few diy tips that were passed to me that I can share. How do you plan to segregate them (or do you?). Hopefully that makes sense! Thanks again! :welldone:
Not sure what you mean about segregate them. I'm only growing 1 plant at the moment for this thread. I'll be taking about 12 Clones from her along the way & choosing 5 of them to grow out. The 5 Clones will go in a 5' x 5' tent to grow while I flower the Mother (which is the plant I'm growing now). I'll keep 1 Clone as a Mother & then Flower the other 4.
I have 3 Tents (3' x 3' x 6', 5' x 5' x 6.5' & 5' x 10' x 6.5') & a 4' x 8' grow room in my shed. So I have multiple options to work with. Over the past few years I always bought a few more pieces of equipment after every grow. Try it out, if it worked well I kept it. If not it was for sale or trade. Most of my equipment I bought Used but in Like New Condition at a really good price. I just check the listings 2 - 3 times per day & if I see something I can use at a real good price I buy it before it's gone. I paid $50 for my 5 x 5 tent & $80 for the 5 x 10. The 5 x 10 was still new in the box from someone who bought equipment but never started growing. There's deals to be had if you watch for them.
For those thinking about buying seeds right now. Hold up. Seed Companies will have a Black Friday Sale.

Helps tremendously sir, I noticed different numbers on the FFOF soil mix looking on wallymart dotcom ( the only place I looked yet shits pretty goddamned expensive iyam JFC) I dont know if they are just stock numbers or what maybe they have different mixtures?. So 1.5 cubic feet fills about two five gallon fabric pots and no fillers (perl/verm) added before?
It has perlite in it already. I pay about $16 - $18 per bag at the Hydro Stores. The hydro stores may have the price marked higher but if you ask how much it costs they usually say it's $23 but with the discount it's $18 or something to that nature. Most hydro stores around my area give discounts from every product they sell. I know they have Happy Frog Soil also which isn't as strong as Ocean Forrest. A lot of growers use Happy frog to start their plants.

CL & OU mainly. I've never been on Facebook. Afraid old girlfriends might contact me & don't want to fight with wife over it so I avoid Facebook .... lol. Women ??? Got me ? Damned if you do & damned if you don't. Easier to grow weed then to try to understand them.
Separating those things would be a challenge for sure. That's why in a lot of my posts I say, "It's nice to have but not necessary". When I say that it pretty much means it's one of the items I purchased later after one of my grows. Most those things just help improve your growing capabilities; but you can keep it simple & grow without them. But everyone wants a big yield. You get that by dialing things in better by investing a little in equipment after each grow. The trick is buying the right equipment the 1st time instead of constantly upgrading like I did. So I'm trying to point out the things I know that work well so others don't waste money on the wrong things like I did.
I spent $3150 on 3 LEDs. Thought they were great. Then I bought 3 Mars Hydro TSW 2000's for $780. The Mars Hydro out did the $3150 LEDs by a mile. So expensive does not always mean better. I highly recommend Mars Hydro (white lights) as I don't think you can get a better bang for your buck. Something like this would be a Tip or Suggestion I'd say.
I wish there was a way to put added content in the proper area of discussion. I don't think that's possible though. I guess I could kind of do a review of things right before my 1st up-pot & then concentrate on the grow from there.

Well I have a bunch of Charts to post so let's get started.
1) The suggested Mega Crop Feed Schedule : I kind of follow it but different strains take different amounts of nutes at different stages so I don't follow it to a Tee. I go more by leaf color & leaf reaction.
1) MegaFeedSchedule.jpg

2) Pics of a Female & a Male Pre-Flower.
2) Plant.jpeg
3) male_preflower.jpg

3) A pic showing the parts of a Bud :
4) weed flower parts.png

4) These charts show the Nutrient Availability at different pH levels : As you can see there's a difference of opinion.
5) pH_chart7.jpg
6) Nutrient Chart.gif

5) Here's a Chart on Terpene Effects so you can choose the seeds with the Terpenes you desire.
14) terpine effects.jpg

6) Light Height Chart :
11) Light Height.png
12) Light Intensity.png

7) The correct size Carbon Filter for the CFM Rating of your In-Line Fan :
13) Carbon Filter Size & CFM info.jpg

8) Humidifier : These are sure great to have if you're in a dry climate like me in AZ. This is a 6 gallon Air Care Space Saver. Runs about 3 days till I have to add water.
15) Humidifier.jpg

9) I also have a 50 pint dehumidifier in case it gets too humid. Only needed it once so far.
16) Humidifier.jpg

May I add something about noobs choosing which seeds to buy/grow for the first time?

With so many strains on the market, it's a tough decision trying to figure out which seeds to purchase and grow when you're first starting out.

Many fledgling growers are misconceived in thinking that all Cannabis strains grow exactly the same, this is absolutely untrue.

There are many variables to consider, like ease of growing. Some seeds/plants are very hearty and easy to grow, while some are for more experienced level growers and take a lot of extra TLC to properly grow. Most seed banks will give a run down on this, so pay attention to what it says about the skill level it takes to grow particular strains.

Also, environment plays a huge role as well. As Buds mentioned earlier, dialing in your grow area takes some tweaking and fine tuning to get it just right, but some situations, especially with outdoor growing, you want to choose a strain that can handle the particular environment conditions in your neck of the woods.

A prime example of this is that when I was growing, I found that my AK47 plants were especially adapt to the extremely humid conditions we have here in the south east, while other strains I had didn't like it and didn't produce good yields.

Places out west have extremely dry conditions, so you want to ask around and do some research on how well the seeds you're thinking about will do in the environment you have.

Mine were in a basement that had no AC, and it was almost impossible to fully control the temp and humidity, so thank God those AK47's took well to that environment.

Seeds can get pretty expensive, so choose them wisely and do some serious research before just pulling the trigger and buying something you may not be able to handle and wind up killing in the process. It may be an awesome strain and you may want to grow it really badly, but you can't smoke dead seedlings, and nobody likes wasting money.

If I've left anything out, do feel free to chime in guys/gals ;)

Here to read and learn on my 3rd grow but never had nothing but light tent soil and nutes couldn't check temps or anything now I'm going abit more into careing about it I've got a 2.4m x 1.2m 1.8m attic tent and I'm finding it hard to have warm temps even tryed turning all off bar light bit still only 16c even with little oil rad heater gets to 18c then cuts it out intill I unplugged and plugged back in looking for different heater and I'm using one light intill I can get more got hps but gone led as to much to run cheers in advance

10) Here are some weed Diagnosis Charts to help Identify plant issues :
8) Plant Problem Diagnose.png
9) Diagnose.jpeg

11) This Chart is strictly about N (Nitrogen) because it is the one most common issue we run into :
7) nutrient chart N only.jpg

12) This Chart is about PM (Powder Mildew) & how to treat it. PM is usually caused by High Humidity :
10) PM.png

Break / Joint Time !

May I add something about noobs choosing which seeds to buy/grow for the first time?

With so many strains on the market, it's a tough decision trying to figure out which seeds to purchase and grow when you're first starting out.

Many fledgling growers are misconceived in thinking that all Cannabis strains grow exactly the same, this is absolutely untrue.

There are many variables to consider, like ease of growing. Some seeds/plants are very hearty and easy to grow, while some are for more experienced level growers and take a lot of extra TLC to properly grow. Most seed banks will give a run down on this, so pay attention to what it says about the skill level it takes to grow particular strains.

Also, environment plays a huge role as well. As Buds mentioned earlier, dialing in your grow area takes some tweaking and fine tuning to get it just right, but some situations, especially with outdoor growing, you want to choose a strain that can handle the particular environment conditions in your neck of the woods.

A prime example of this is that when I was growing, I found that my AK47 plants were especially adapt to the extremely humid conditions we have here in the south east, while other strains I had didn't like it and didn't produce good yields.

Places out west have extremely dry conditions, so you want to ask around and do some research on how well the seeds you're thinking about will do in the environment you have.

Mine were in a basement that had no AC, and it was almost impossible to fully control the temp and humidity, so thank God those AK47's took well to that environment.

Seeds can get pretty expensive, so choose them wisely and do some serious research before just pulling the trigger and buying something you may not be able to handle and wind up killing in the process. It may be an awesome strain and you may want to grow it really badly, but you can't smoke dead seedlings, and nobody likes wasting money.

If I've left anything out, do feel free to chime in guys/gals ;)
Good Info. Thanks !

I just checked on the seed I planted. It wasn't above ground so I stirred the soil a little & yes, the seed has cracked & I see a tail. So 1 - 2 days & she should have her head up.
So tomorrow I'll make the Bubble Cloner even though I wont need it for a few weeks. By then it should be time for the grow.

Back
Top Bottom