Con's 3rd Indoor Auto Grow - Improved 3.0

time for the Fat Bastard to come down at day 93, did a rough trim & hung in the new tent hopefully i can get the temps & humidity dialed in, shewas a sticky one, the GC has the other tent to herself for now

Whoa. Talk about living up to its name! Congratulations!

Good Day hope all is well, Question for those with some root knowledge as you can see in the pics inside of the coco coir pot the roots are fairly thick and on the out side of the pot the sides & bottom of the pot all the roots are very fine & no thicker tap root come through the bottom, as i see some of your guys roots look thick all the way to the bottom of your final container, do my roots need some improvement & did the coco coir pots not allow the thicker /tap root through?, 1st pic inside of pot 2nd outside bottom of pot pic 3 over all pic of fine roots, trying to figure out whether to just drop the seedling into final pot or try the coco coir pots or peat pots & up pot

20231214_192319.jpg

20231215_110307.jpg

20231214_192018.jpg

You might want to try a side by side with the coco pots and straight into the final pot methods, but would put the coco pots into the final pots sooner.
You're not going to get a taproot using the coco pots though. What you're seeing with the mass of thinner roots is the result of air pruning. The thick root stops and puts out a lot of finer roots going in all directions. That maximizes the rootball in the soil available, but stops the taproot too.
I get rootballs like that when I transplant a plant that has been growing in a fabric pot. It's one reason I don't use 1 gallon fabric pots anymore, although the main reason is they're a real pain to get the plants out of.
I would stay away from the peat pots. If you don't keep them wet the roots have a really hard time getting through.

You might want to try a side by side with the coco pots and straight into the final pot methods, but would put the coco pots into the final pots sooner.
You're not going to get a taproot using the coco pots though. What you're seeing with the mass of thinner roots is the result of air pruning. The thick root stops and puts out a lot of finer roots going in all directions. That maximizes the rootball in the soil available, but stops the taproot too.
I get rootballs like that when I transplant a plant that has been growing in a fabric pot. It's one reason I don't use 1 gallon fabric pots anymore, although the main reason is they're a real pain to get the plants out of.
I would stay away from the peat pots. If you don't keep them wet the roots have a really hard time getting through.
thanks @Melville Hobbes for the reply if i was going to use the peat pots i would remove them & transplant which i would rather not do, & if the coco coir pots are going to restrict the larger roots from getting through then i'm not going to use so i think once my seeds crack i think i'll just drop them into their final container, do you think if i used the coco coir pots & plant into the final container sooner to prevent air prunning will the thicker roots will go through? or would i be better off to cut the bottom out so the tap root has no restrictions ?

Good Day hope all is well, Question for those with some root knowledge as you can see in the pics inside of the coco coir pot the roots are fairly thick and on the out side of the pot the sides & bottom of the pot all the roots are very fine & no thicker tap root come through the bottom, as i see some of your guys roots look thick all the way to the bottom of your final container, do my roots need some improvement & did the coco coir pots not allow the thicker /tap root through?, 1st pic inside of pot 2nd outside bottom of pot pic 3 over all pic of fine roots, trying to figure out whether to just drop the seedling into final pot or try the coco coir pots or peat pots & up pot

20231214_192319.jpg

20231215_110307.jpg

20231214_192018.jpg
I read that cannabis doesn't have a deep tap root & those big roots up top are for sucking condensation & dew out of the ground & air
This is an auto I grew outside in the ground the roots grew more outwards than deep

I read that cannabis doesn't have a deep tap root & those big roots up top are for sucking condensation & dew out of the ground & air
This is an auto I grew outside in the ground the roots grew more outwards than deep
Thanks Joe now those are roots, i'm just trying to figure out what is best to improve my roots, straight into the final container or coco coir again but into the ground sooner to avoid air prunning like they did this grow

If you want the biggest possible roots from a potted plant, I would go with straight into the final pot, or putting the coco pot into the final pot pretty much as soon as the seedling breaks the ground. It's surprising how fast that taproot can grow.
Joe's right that for a taproot it doesn't go as deep as other plants, and the rootball he's showing there is what I get when I plant straight in the ground outdoors.
For what it's worth, this is what I got from a couple of autos this summer planting straight into the final pot.
Outdoor journal 18 Sept 2023 roots.jpg

Thanks Joe now those are roots, i'm just trying to figure out what is best to improve my roots, straight into the final container or coco coir again but into the ground sooner to avoid air prunning like they did this grow
If you plant them in hard plastic pots & transplant when you see roots just peaking at the drain holes they don't even know they got transplanted
Just massage the sides well & tap the bottom to transplant, build your roots in the center of your pot. If you keep the bottom wet all the time the roots will just follow the water
That auto was transplanted twice before going into the ground outside
Although the one that self planted the next year was even bigger but think it was cause it got an earlier start outside in the sun

If you want the biggest possible roots from a potted plant, I would go with straight into the final pot, or putting the coco pot into the final pot pretty much as soon as the seedling breaks the ground. It's surprising how fast that taproot can grow.
Joe's right that for a taproot it doesn't go as deep as other plants, and the rootball he's showing there is what I get when I plant straight in the ground outdoors.
For what it's worth, this is what I got from a couple of autos this summer planting straight into the final pot.
Thanks MH i think i'll just go straight to the final container

If you plant them in hard plastic pots & transplant when you see roots just peaking at the drain holes they don't even know they got transplanted
Just massage the sides well & tap the bottom to transplant, build your roots in the center of your pot. If you keep the bottom wet all the time the roots will just follow the water
That auto was transplanted twice before going into the ground outside
Although the one that self planted the next year was even bigger but think it was cause it got an earlier start outside in the sun
Thanks Joe

What a great harvest you have hanging! So fat and frosty! :green_heart:

Roots are a thing! Folks have their ways and they all work. I can't get away from root building with wet dry cycles in a solo, then a 3 gallon, then a final pot each time having a pot full of roots before potting up as the best root building technique. This makes big plants and needs 60 or 70 days of veg time but really teases roots to grow. 🎅

What a great harvest you have hanging! So fat and frosty! :green_heart:

Roots are a thing! Folks have their ways and they all work. I can't get away from root building with wet dry cycles in a solo, then a 3 gallon, then a final pot each time having a pot full of roots before potting up as the best root building technique. This makes big plants and needs 60 or 70 days of veg time but really teases roots to grow. 🎅
Thanks Stone they are dank & sticky, i'm just a chicken shit when it comes to up potting autos & trying to avoid & will do wet & dry cycles like i did with this grow

I pretty much agree with this. It’s why when I uppot in coco, I do so long before the root ball is well established in the first, plastic pot. (Also agreed - small cloth pots to start suck bad, use plastic, lol) If the roots are all curled around the outside I waited too long. By uppotting coco when the root ball and medium will just hold together, the roots don’t have any recovery time getting into the new medium, and they fill the top of the pot too. Here you can clearly see the difference between the first and second pot. Uppotting as early as possible eliminates this. Tomorrow is day 20 for my Northern Lights auto, started in a 1 gallon pot, and I’m uppotting her to a 10. Were it a photo I might not be out of a Solo on day 20, and certainly wouldn’t be uppotting from a 1 gallon. Coco is a bit different in that regard imho. And it’s especially important with autos, when you want zero lag or recovery days.

I pretty much agree with this. It’s why when I uppot in coco, I do so long before the root ball is well established in the first, plastic pot. (Also agreed - small cloth pots to start suck bad, use plastic, lol) If the roots are all curled around the outside I waited too long. By uppotting coco when the root ball and medium will just hold together, the roots don’t have any recovery time getting into the new medium, and they fill the top of the pot too. Here you can clearly see the difference between the first and second pot. Uppotting as early as possible eliminates this. Tomorrow is day 20 for my Northern Lights auto, started in a 1 gallon pot, and I’m uppotting her to a 10. Were it a photo I might not be out of a Solo on day 20, and certainly wouldn’t be uppotting from a 1 gallon. Coco is a bit different in that regard imho. And it’s especially important with autos, when you want zero lag or recovery days.
i'm justt going to go straight to the final pot & water lightly, one of these days i'll grow a pair & try up potting again i just want no issues this up coming grow

i'm justt going to go straight to the final pot & water lightly, one of these days i'll grow a pair & try up potting again i just want no issues this up coming grow
Totally get it, do what you’re comfortable with. Here’s a little food for thought.

Building roots in coco is different than in soil. Coco is essentially a hydro thing and needs to be treated as such. Does one build roots in a reservoir? No. Same thing with coco. Just keep it wet all the time. The roots build themselves. All I do to “build” roots in coco is keep the pot continuously wet. Every pot gets filled every time with roots. This is why I always uppot autos. It’s a heck of a lot easier to water a small pot than a final container, but once the plant is big enough to uppot, it’s big enough that in coco it cannot be overwatered anymore. Practically impossible once the plants has a couple sets of real leaves.

so i went on the hunt for solo cups & this is all i could find & i'm sure it'll work, & yes i will up pot from a solo knock off to the final container, & cut drain holes will finish off the rest tonight when i get back later, off out to buddys in the farm lands this afternoon, are they Christmassy enough Lol!

20231216_121439.jpg

20231216_121447.jpg

20231216_121459.jpg

Back
Top Bottom