DD Stable Of Impermanence

Always bustling with yumminess at the stable! :yummy:

Thanks sis! All bustle, no hustle. :high-five:

Hi all
I hope all is as well as can be under the circumstances (whatever yours are).

Following a discussion over here on one of @HashGirl ’s journals I am having a look at an alternative method of making clones. Here’s a start...

Experimental gardening
Experimental for me anyway. It could be a fun new hassle free way to make clones. This is a technique called air layering which I hope to use to get a branch to produce roots before I cut it from the donor plant. Imagine: no more hardening off for sensitive cuttings!
It may be a step forward if it works.

I have had my eye on this branch for the job. It has a good healthy stem, but was never going to join the upper canopy.

Normally when I set up a clone’s training I’ll leave a few lowers with a view for making future clones. This in spite of the fact that there are always heaps of other opportunities for cuttings while thinning a still vegging canopy later on.

Air layering might make better use of the more developed lowers.

Out of habit I stripped the first couple of nodes off each of the lowest branching pieces.

The rusty trusted and character filled scalpel blade was wiped with alcohol don’t worry. It’s still sharp and that and sterile are the only two qualities I’m looking for (other than aesthetic).

Using a soldering iron I made a hole in the bottom of a cut down plastic cup. The hole was slightly bigger than the stem it had to fit around. I held some of my green rubber training wire against the stem. The wire was bigger than the stem. The wire fits through the hole. (Just trying to say you don’t have to do any complicated measuring.)

I taped the two sides together for a hinge then filled them with dampened new soil - the stuff I only use for seedlings and cuttings.

I scraped the outer skin/fibre layer off the stem for a short distance (say 15mm, ⅝”) and applied some cloning gel to the area.

Wrapped around and taped.

With the top closed and taped. After that I wrapped some cling film around to seal in the moisture and also taped that.

I’m hoping to see roots in the pod when I flip this plant to 12/12 at the end of next week. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Checking the next day it bodes well that the branch still looks healthy.
:popcorn:

By way of thanks for reading you may now have some eye candy.

Have a lovely days.
:peace: :love:

Nice! Looking forward to how this works for you and to see if it's faster than a regular cutting. I would think it would be since there is still a steady stream of hormones flowing past the site as it's still connected to the plant.

Nice! Looking forward to how this works for you and to see if it's faster than a regular cutting. I would think it would be since there is still a steady stream of hormones flowing past the site as it's still connected to the plant.

Cheers Azi. I’m excited to see if it works out.

It'll be great to watch what happens DD, but I'm sure you'll be successful.

Thanks for saying so Koro. If not, well I’ll take a cup full of cuts on flip day and hope for the best. ATM I have the nursery switched off. I’d kind of prefer to keep it that way too if poss.

Cool new cloning idea, Donkey! I thought I read somewhere here on 420 someone who was trying multiple cloning methods at the same time to see which one was best but I can't remember who... :hmmmm:

Weaselcracker comes to mind HG

That may well be true but I don't think I've read anything from Weaselcracker recently.

Chem trails

Hello everyone! With @DonkeyDick 's blessing I thought I'd wander through that interdimensional portal in DD's garden and do a little guest post.

As some of you know, I was close to not ever being able to grow again. Thankfully, nothing ever eventuated from that, but I still keep a low profile these days.

In the meantime, DD has magically - thankfully - been able to house and continue what I had to give up on. Also providing me with some invaluable information during my little break. Again, as some of you know, I have been greatly interested in the breeding history of modern cannabis.

And for the two of us, it seems, it comes back to the Chem family.

DD currently grows the "Chem 91" (which is a 91 BX, not the clone-only mother), Bubba's Sis (Chem Sis x Bubba Kush) and Sour Bubba (Sour Diesel x Bubba Kush, the former itself a Chem 91 offspring/hybrid).

(Honorary mention here for the Bubba Kush which is itself worthy of a lot of praise and attention. The Bubba Kush S1 is still the best I've grown to date myself.)

Continuing down this path, I was also able to obtain some Chem 91 S1s, direct reversals of the elite clone-only itself.

And, after my little break, I'm more than grateful to be able to share these pics now. 91 S1, day 42 of flower.

91s1_1_1.jpg

91s1_1_2.jpg

91s1_1_3.jpg

91s1_1_7.jpg

I took that last pic with flash just for fun.

It really accentuates this very consistent look inherited from the mother: impossibly pale flowers, with impossibly deep green, shiny leaves amongst them. It's a signature of the 91.

For those of you interested in some of the more technical aspects of the inheritance, it seems that the S1 gene pool is very narrow. Both from my own experience and from the breeder's experience. That strongly suggests that the Chem 91 cut itself was an S1, and that these "S1s" are really S2s. Which is cool. From the stories, it's been known that the 91 and the Sis were both grown from bag seed. But it was not known whether the bag seeds resulted from a self-pollination or cross. From digging into the "S1s", it seems clear that it was indeed a self-pollination that yielded the 91 and the Sis.

In other words, the 91 seems to reliably pass down look, structure and potency. It is no longer surprising to me that the various Chem BX/crosses etc. have made it to the top of DD's list.

Apparently though, the smell and taste are harder to nail in the offspring. Luckily, I have to say that this particular pheno reeks. Hits you in the back of the sinuses. I'm starting to understand better what people mean by "gassy". It has that effect of petrol, paint thinner etc. where the smell greets you "up front" but also hits you "in the back" of your olfactory senses. So I think I'm winning in the genetic lottery so far.

I cannot wait. :yummy::hookah:

Hope you all are well! :Namaste::green_heart:

P.S. I have an OG post to share at some point, too, to complement DD's SKOG and OG adventures!

Hello everyone! With @DonkeyDick 's blessing I thought I'd wander through that interdimensional portal in DD's garden and do a little guest post.
Hey syenite, we've regrettably been on a long diet from your posts, so it's great to have this one! Look forward to the OG one coming. All the best!

I was also able to obtain some Chem 91 S1s
:thanks:Thank you for the information, I have one going now that has been a very difficult grow for me. She was ravenous and I couldn't satisfy her, hopefully her daughter will be easier on me. :rofl: syenite your girl is quite impressive

Hey syenite, we've regrettably been on a long diet from your posts, so it's great to have this one! Look forward to the OG one coming. All the best!

Thank you Stunger! I've been lurking a fair bit in your garden as well!

:thanks:Thank you for the information, I have one going now that has been a very difficult grow for me. She was ravenous and I couldn't satisfy her, hopefully her daughter will be easier on me. :rofl: syenite your girl is quite impressive

Cheers dynamo! Yes you do have to dial in the lights <-> food balance quite intensely with these phenos. In other words, I had to dial my lights down quite a bit more than I expected, and feed her quite a bit more than expected.

Yeah!!!!
Glad to see you back in the garden!
Beautiful photos and overview of the 91 and sis.
Bubba has changed my life in so many physical, mental and olfactory ways.
Stoked to have you back around :slide:
Missing the bamboo:rofl: x

Cheers Dohc! I'll have to go catch up on your garden as well.

I honestly anticipate that the Chem/OG/Bubba triangle is quite enough to keep me happy forever.

Would still be nice to challenge that idea though, so I do have some hypey stuff coming further down the track.

And yes, the bamboo is strong in this one. :laugh:

Thank you Stunger! I've been lurking a fair bit in your garden as well!

Cheers dynamo! Yes you do have to dial in the lights <-> food balance quite intensely with these phenos. In other words, I had to dial my lights down quite a bit more than I expected, and feed her quite a bit more than expected.

Cheers Dohc! I'll have to go catch up on your garden as well.

I honestly anticipate that the Chem/OG/Bubba triangle is quite enough to keep me happy forever.

Would still be nice to challenge that idea though, so I do have some hypey stuff coming further down the track.

And yes, the bamboo is strong in this one. :laugh:
Chem Og Bubba.
COB.
For life! :green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom