Dick23rk's 1st Journal - 1st Hempy - CKS Autoflower Candy Cane & Amnesia Haze - 2016

Re: Dick23rk's 1st Journal - 1st Hempy - CKS Autoflower Candy Cane & Amnesia Haze - 2

Looking very nice & full of health :green_heart:

Mmm took a good look at Amnesia 2 as far as i could tell looks pretty alright, the only thing i did notice on both amnesia's was a faint sign of possible nutrient burn... a little bit of tip & side margins showing burn like symptoms but very minor, i might keep eye on this as you have just increased nutrients recently to see what happens ?

The candys look superb tho :thumb:

Thanks man. No real nute burn yet since the upping yesterday, they still look about the same. I did notice that very faint tip burning on the 2 which is basically telling me they are at their max for nutrient intake. The candy canes are loving life and haven't seen any ill effects on them yet. I will keep feeding at this dosage for the week and see how the amnesia's take to it. After another week we will up the nutes again as per the schedule and keep a close eye on the amnesia's. Each week my bloom nutes go up by 2ml/gal til it reaches 20ml. I am now at 14ml, we will see what sort of effect this takes on them. If anything I can flush right away if needed to. Thanks for the advice!

Re: Dick23rk's 1st Journal - 1st Hempy - CKS Autoflower Candy Cane & Amnesia Haze - 2

Ye bud sounds great & i trust your feelings :thumb:

Looking forwards to the end result :green_heart:

**Update - May 10th - Day 57 - Day 17 flowering**

So I managed to get off work early today and got all caught up in the garden, couldn't do anything outside since we are getting rain today. This is kind of a big update for me in a way, I went ahead and did a big defoliating job on all the girls. So lets get started!

Gave all the girls a little feeding this morning, I didn't have enough time before work and lights on to give them a full feeding with run off so I will get to that tomorrow. Each plant got 1 liter this morning instead of their regular 2 liters or a little more with run off. Generally when they end up going 3 days without feeding is when they need more than 2 liters since it is near dry by then.

Everything else is still the same as last update in regards to nutrients, temp and rh. I may be doing some lst to the naturally grown girls tomorrow or the next day as well.

All of them have appeared to be done their flowering stretch, which IMO was a pretty massive stretch. Time to let them buds grow!! Which leads me to the next topic for the day and why this update is so important to me.

Defoliating day!!! I decided to go ahead and get down to business as things were getting very crowded and leaves were laying on top of one another all over the place. There was no taming these beasts in my grow space, they bushed out a lot more than I had expected. I don't mind this at all though, it was time for a hair cut. I may have gone a little overboard on some of this but I want to get max light penetration to these girls and all of their lower bud sites. I only wanted to stunt their growth the once if I could help it, so I went for more of a stripping of almost all leaves shading other bud sites rather than just clipping the larger fan leaves so now I wont have to do any other defoliating at all. Hoping now that all of the energy will be focused just on the buds. The girls took this stripping like champs! Candy #2 was the only one that was showing she really didn't like it, leaves drooping way down, more than the others which hardly drooped at all. I think I may have taken a bit to much off of her as well. I guess we will see how it all turns out in the end and will be a lesson learned regardless. Next go around maybe I will only defoliate half as many leaves.

I think that is pretty much it for the day. Got some other things to go and do now as well. So I will get the pictures on the roll here for you all. There will be before and after shots of the 2 naturally grown girls getting their leaves clipped, I actually forgot about the before shots on the other 2 lol. Oops..

Anyways, have a great week everyone and stay safe. Best of luck to all!

P.S. Be sure to voice all of your opinions on the crazy defoliating. I was pretty skeptical about taking that much at first but I think in the end it shall pay off. Gotta know what these plants can handle and put out for me so I need to experiment a little.

All 4 in room
Before
After

Amnesia #1
Before
After
Flower

Amnesia #2
After
Flower

Candy #1
Before
After
Flower

Candy#2
After
Flower

**Update - May 10th - Day 57 - Day 17 flowering**

So I managed to get off work early today and got all caught up in the garden, couldn't do anything outside since we are getting rain today. This is kind of a big update for me in a way, I went ahead and did a big defoliating job on all the girls. So lets get started!

Gave all the girls a little feeding this morning, I didn't have enough time before work and lights on to give them a full feeding with run off so I will get to that tomorrow. Each plant got 1 liter this morning instead of their regular 2 liters or a little more with run off. Generally when they end up going 3 days without feeding is when they need more than 2 liters since it is near dry by then.

Everything else is still the same as last update in regards to nutrients, temp and rh. I may be doing some lst to the naturally grown girls tomorrow or the next day as well.

All of them have appeared to be done their flowering stretch, which IMO was a pretty massive stretch. Time to let them buds grow!! Which leads me to the next topic for the day and why this update is so important to me.

Defoliating day!!! I decided to go ahead and get down to business as things were getting very crowded and leaves were laying on top of one another all over the place. There was no taming these beasts in my grow space, they bushed out a lot more than I had expected. I don't mind this at all though, it was time for a hair cut. I may have gone a little overboard on some of this but I want to get max light penetration to these girls and all of their lower bud sites. I only wanted to stunt their growth the once if I could help it, so I went for more of a stripping of almost all leaves shading other bud sites rather than just clipping the larger fan leaves so now I wont have to do any other defoliating at all. Hoping now that all of the energy will be focused just on the buds. The girls took this stripping like champs! Candy #2 was the only one that was showing she really didn't like it, leaves drooping way down, more than the others which hardly drooped at all. I think I may have taken a bit to much off of her as well. I guess we will see how it all turns out in the end and will be a lesson learned regardless. Next go around maybe I will only defoliate half as many leaves.

I think that is pretty much it for the day. Got some other things to go and do now as well. So I will get the pictures on the roll here for you all. There will be before and after shots of the 2 naturally grown girls getting their leaves clipped, I actually forgot about the before shots on the other 2 lol. Oops..

Anyways, have a great week everyone and stay safe. Best of luck to all!

P.S. Be sure to voice all of your opinions on the crazy defoliating. I was pretty skeptical about taking that much at first but I think in the end it shall pay off. Gotta know what these plants can handle and put out for me so I need to experiment a little.

All 4 in room
Before
After

Amnesia #1
Before
After
Flower

Amnesia #2
After
Flower

Candy #1
Before
After
Flower

Candy#2
After
Flower
I love the way you cleaned the girls up interested in seeing what you come out of this experiment of your looks great with the 12/12 light cycle do you always do all of these steps after the big stretch or is it part of your 12/12 experiment keep up the good work you have me excited :thumb:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using 420

They cleaned up nice! Looks like they are poised for some fat buds. Stalks look hearty enough, but will they be able to hold the weight should your buds become "too" festively plump? Have you prepared a back up contingent should this be the case? I only ask of course because I don't want to be caught with my pants down if this happens to me and I am curious to see what you had up your sleeve.

I love the way you cleaned the girls up interested in seeing what you come out of this experiment of your looks great with the 12/12 light cycle do you always do all of these steps after the big stretch or is it part of your 12/12 experiment keep up the good work you have me excited :thumb:

Thanks for stopping in Stewie! My 12/12 experiments were my bag seed plants that were in there actually. They were chopped a little early and are now curing. But I guess you could say that my autos are kind of experiments as well since I had to start them under 12/12 due to only having the one grow space. Also I had FIM'd 1 of each strain and left the other 2 natural, so this as well is a bit of experimenting.

This is the first time I have done such a major defoliation like that. Normally with my photo period plants I would only clip large fan leaves off during the first part of the flowering cycle and then other medium sized leaves later in the cycle. I would also clip a few during veg period if needed. But this being my first time with auto's and them having such short life span I just decided I would only do this once and early on in the flowering cycle so that I don't go stunting the plants more than once.

I guess you could say I am just trying to get the feel for these autoflowers and the strains in particular. My next grow will be 18/6 light cycle straight through with more lst early in their lives. As well I will most likely be fimming or topping all of them and if I do I will take one of each strain and top them a 2nd time. Should be interesting to compare all of the results when I'm done.

They cleaned up nice! Looks like they are poised for some fat buds. Stalks look hearty enough, but will they be able to hold the weight should your buds become "too" festively plump? Have you prepared a back up contingent should this be the case? I only ask of course because I don't want to be caught with my pants down if this happens to me and I am curious to see what you had up your sleeve.

Hey thanks CBMedz, I am always hoping for fat buds! There is no such thing as "too" festively plump hahah.. But yes I have thought about them possibly getting weighed down so one day when I was in the dollar store of all places I picked up some bamboo shoots for supports. I can cut these shorter as needed as well and just drill a couple small holes in the top lip of the buckets to secure the bamboo shoots to instead of trying to stick them down in the medium and possibly harming the roots. I already have some holes drilled there to secure my ties for lst. I always try to be prepared, but sometimes it doesn't help lol!

Thanks for stopping in Stewie! My 12/12 experiments were my bag seed plants that were in there actually. They were chopped a little early and are now curing. But I guess you could say that my autos are kind of experiments as well since I had to start them under 12/12 due to only having the one grow space. Also I had FIM'd 1 of each strain and left the other 2 natural, so this as well is a bit of experimenting.

This is the first time I have done such a major defoliation like that. Normally with my photo period plants I would only clip large fan leaves off during the first part of the flowering cycle and then other medium sized leaves later in the cycle. I would also clip a few during veg period if needed. But this being my first time with auto's and them having such short life span I just decided I would only do this once and early on in the flowering cycle so that I don't go stunting the plants more than once.

I guess you could say I am just trying to get the feel for these autoflowers and the strains in particular. My next grow will be 18/6 light cycle straight through with more lst early in their lives. As well I will most likely be fimming or topping all of them and if I do I will take one of each strain and top them a 2nd time. Should be interesting to compare all of the results when I'm done.

Hey thanks CBMedz, I am always hoping for fat buds! There is no such thing as "too" festively plump hahah.. But yes I have thought about them possibly getting weighed down so one day when I was in the dollar store of all places I picked up some bamboo shoots for supports. I can cut these shorter as needed as well and just drill a couple small holes in the top lip of the buckets to secure the bamboo shoots to instead of trying to stick them down in the medium and possibly harming the roots. I already have some holes drilled there to secure my ties for lst. I always try to be prepared, but sometimes it doesn't help lol!
Are you going off of the seedbanks instructions I don't see my autos finishing in 8 weeks from seed I've been in flower for 2 weeks with my biggest and a week and a few days with the others I think you could help me out with this one sense yours are looking lovely and have been in flower longer great experiment :thumb:

Are you going off of the seedbanks instructions I don't see my autos finishing in 8 weeks from seed I've been in flower for 2 weeks with my biggest and a week and a few days with the others I think you could help me out with this one sense yours are looking lovely and have been in flower longer great experiment :thumb:

Not all of the seed banks time frames are from seed unless specified. Some are from seed, some are just flowering time, and even then they are more of a guideline rather than instructions. I know it may seem like they should be bigger already, but just give them some time and you will see :) They will keep growing over the next few weeks and then start to fatten up after that.
As for your plants, does the seed bank specify 8 weeks from seed? Or does it say something else?
Also, I can't quite remember, but how long was your veg period? Best way to really know when they are done is by trichomes, if they are still clear you have a ways to go, if they are starting to get cloudy you are roughly half way give or take. You will need a jewelers loop or a very strong magnifying glass to see them close enough.
I am always here to help in any way possible to my knowledge, feel free to ask away if needed my friend!

Not all of the seed banks time frames are from seed unless specified. Some are from seed, some are just flowering time, and even then they are more of a guideline rather than instructions. I know it may seem like they should be bigger already, but just give them some time and you will see :) They will keep growing over the next few weeks and then start to fatten up after that.
As for your plants, does the seed bank specify 8 weeks from seed? Or does it say something else?
Also, I can't quite remember, but how long was your veg period? Best way to really know when they are done is by trichomes, if they are still clear you have a ways to go, if they are starting to get cloudy you are roughly half way give or take. You will need a jewelers loop or a very strong magnifying glass to see them close enough.
I am always here to help in any way possible to my knowledge, feel free to ask away if needed my friend!
I kinda thought that jus needed another answer and from you is always great advice I've been doin research on autos and alot of sites have the finished from seed and another site with same seed and seedbanks and jus have weeks to harvest I was goin to go off the thread you had gave me about autos anyway but it's alot of different things said about autos some say they follow the pack some say go till amber some say like the thread to give it a few weeks over I'm at 8 weeks almost from seed and 7 weeks from seed and 2 weeks sense flower and the mutant and my late girl are neck and neck with from the looks of it starting to flower they have been showing sex for 10 days now and every bud site has white hairs and now that you have said 8 week could b flower time I kinda get it I was thinking it could be something like that. Autoflowers I guess means it automatically starts flowering any light schedule and have to go its flower weeks of flowering like normally im guessing which explains some of the fast finishers that basically really start flowering from seed I'm kinda getting the most of it but I'd some people are following the instructions on the pack may be cutting wayy!! To early I'm guessing I'll be here to see your finished work of art bro:greatthread:

Yeah I would have to say that yours has specified the flowering to harvest time. So you are 2 weeks in, you will have roughly another 6 weeks to go until harvest, making a total of 8 weeks. Crop King also shows flowering time, you have to add 3 or 4 weeks of veg time to that for their auto flowering seeds. And yes auto flowering means they will flower regardless of light cycles.
When it comes time to harvest, I would honestly say the majority of people that have more hands on experience than us will be going by the trichomes to tell when they want to harvest. It all depends on what kind of high you are looking for really. Check out these 2 threads. There is a picture in each one explaining the differences or trich coloring.
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/Trichome-Ripening.jpg
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/trichomes_colors_harvest.jpg

Yeah I would have to say that yours has specified the flowering to harvest time. So you are 2 weeks in, you will have roughly another 6 weeks to go until harvest, making a total of 8 weeks. Crop King also shows flowering time, you have to add 3 or 4 weeks of veg time to that for their auto flowering seeds. And yes auto flowering means they will flower regardless of light cycles.
When it comes time to harvest, I would honestly say the majority of people that have more hands on experience than us will be going by the trichomes to tell when they want to harvest. It all depends on what kind of high you are looking for really. Redirect Notice
Redirect Notice
Great to know I'm on the right path I'm very interested in your thread I want to try those strains in the future I like knowing I can create my own strains and taking advice on your strains to maybe do some crossing with them with a few of my favorite.

Strangely enough I was thinking bamboo shoots as well. Good to know I can pick them up at the dollar store possibly. I think I might just go crazy with some duct tape and attach them to the outside of the pails-- do a few laps around the pails if you know what I mean. Maybe I won't need them but call me an optimist. I am seeing noticeable progression by the day and I'm sure you are as well.

**Update - May 12th - Day 59 - Day 19 Flowering**

Well, the ladies seems to have taken their defoliation decently. Only had the one plant really telling me she didn't like her haircut, she was real droopy looking afterwards but has now perked back up like the others. Go figure this was the same one that had showed the most stunting when I FIM'd as well, Candy Cane #2. But all seems well now and I am hoping they are producing once again.

Thrichome production is coming along nicely. Candy #2 has been the slowest in this category, she has some showing but not near as many as her sister. Maybe this is the difference in the 2 genetics since I have noticed that one Candy Cane is more bushy with lots of bud sites and the other is really stretched looking with next to no lower bud sites. Either way, they will grow and produce buds! For all I know the lanky Candy #2 could end up producing bigger top colas, I guess we will wait and see.

All the girls were fed today, still on the week 3 flower nutes schedule. I made sure to get lots of run off today to ensure any unused nutrients and dissolved salts got mixed up and pushed out to make room for fresh ones. Now that all the effected fans on Amnesia #2 have been removed I will be watching her closely to see if her deficiency keeps up, so far no signs of anything. If needed she will get an upped dose of bloom nutes compared to the others.

I also decided to do a little LST to both of the naturally grown girls (#1's) since a couple of the branches were starting to get real close together and not allowing light to all parts of them. It was mostly lower branches of course that needed to be re-situated, you may be able to see it in the pictures.

While doing the feedings and photo shoot, I had noticed a couple of things with the #2 girls. Amnesia #2 has one shoot the decided to branch off as if it was topped but looks totally natural. I had noticed before that this shoot was very thick compared to some of the other but didn't think anything of it until now. I noticed it the other day when I had finished up the defoliating and forgot to talk about it in my last update. Also I had noticed on Candy #2 that one of the branches I had previously trained and tied down, now has a small split at the bottom close to the node. I am guessing it happened a while after that branch was trained and it grew so thick afterwards that it finally split where the fibers were stretched from the bending. I don't imagine it is effecting anthing and it is not infected so it's all good. Here are a couple of pictures of what I just talked about.

Nothing much else to report for the day. Got to spend some more time examining them today although I forgot to get some more measurements of them all to ensure the stretching has stopped, it seems like it has. Got all of the mess vacuumed out inside the tent today as well, since my tent is normally open during the day for air flow I tend to get dust and furs floating around some times or there may be a dead bug or leaf laying around that I couldn't see from a previous day in the garden.

All-in-all things seems to be going well over here and I will not complain any as of yet. This being my first go at hempy's and really learning the nutrient and ph aspect side of things I think I have come a long way. Most of the information seems to be sinking into my head as I read or re-read things and apply my knowledge in the garden. I will certainly be trying more in the next grow since I am starting to feel more confident that I know what to expect. That's all for today folks, hope everyone had a good day. Best of luck to all and as always, take care!

Time for pictures, yay!!

Amnesia #1

Amnesia #2

Candy #1

Candy #2

Looking frosty! :) love the pictures.
Seems like the Amnesia puts out more resin ey.
Fascinating!

Sure seems they way eh? I am thinking I am really going to like these Amnesia's more than the Candy's but I can't be fore sure until I try the final products and compare that to how well they grew, yield and stress tolerance. I am also thinking that maybe the molasses in with the feedings may be helping the trich production hit hard early on in the cycle. Regardless, I am hoping that it's helping it in some way or another. :)

Looking very good indeed :thumb:

Defol is one of those things to how much you need to do with slightly different styles used, i'm pretty sure you done a lot of reading on this.

The extra light exposure to the lower canopy should help fatten up some of the lower bud sites perhaps a little lst may help if you have space etc to spread the canopy.

Most of the time it will help pack on mass on the top 3rd of colas but the inverse law of light etc kind of dwindles a little in the lower canopy but defol, lst should help out a little down their.

Hell ye plants look well for about 3 weeks of flowering & looks like ya got the hempy grow dialed in keep up the good work :Namaste:

Wow....they are looking great!! I have 4 fem Candy Canes also from Crop King Seeds....been very pleased so far....just some technical difficulties on my end....your girls look great!! I'm looking forward to seeing my plants grow grow grow

Looking very good indeed :thumb:
Defol is one of those things to how much you need to do with slightly different styles used, i'm pretty sure you done a lot of reading on this.
The extra light exposure to the lower canopy should help fatten up some of the lower bud sites perhaps a little lst may help if you have space etc to spread the canopy.
Most of the time it will help pack on mass on the top 3rd of colas but the inverse law of light etc kind of dwindles a little in the lower canopy but defol, lst should help out a little down their.
Hell ye plants look well for about 3 weeks of flowering & looks like ya got the hempy grow dialed in keep up the good work :Namaste:

Well it's certainly good to know that I am doing something right over here, I haven't had to many issues. I did do some lst to a couple of them the other day but they will all still need a little more. Main issue is my main colas are still taller than the lower branches since I didn't do any major lst at the beginning, there is no bending them main stems now. Next round I will play around a little more with this to get a more even canopy now that I know how they grow and what they will tolerate. Thanks once again for the info my friend, it is guys like you and the majority of others I have met here at 420 Mag lately that keep me going and wanting to learn more!

Wow....they are looking great!! I have 4 fem Candy Canes also from Crop King Seeds....been very pleased so far....just some technical difficulties on my end....your girls look great!! I'm looking forward to seeing my plants grow grow grow

Thanks camper. They are quite the plants, very interested to see how they turn out since it seems that I have 1 of each side of the genes. My Candy #1 looks more like both of my Amnesia Haze's. Will be a fun adventure either way, thanks for stopping by.

Do you have a journal for your Candy Cane's?

Ye the main cola on a bush style of grow will always protrude more it is just one of those things even with lst from the start it will be a fair amount of work, you might be surprised that you can bend em about whilst early to mid flowering but be very careful !

Done it a few times with plants which have stretched a lot in the first weeks of flowering & tested the 180 cm of growing height of my tent.

DIY string control... start early tho a last stage approach.

PICT000749.JPG
PICT000563.JPG
PICT000366.JPG

Topping is worth looking at...

Just cut out the main leading apical stem above a node point.

Which node point is a good question some do this at the 2nd or 3rd node to form 4 or 6 main colas perhaps left to grow natural onwards others may train with scrog or even lst, i've gone up the 10th node before but the lowest branches are often weak & don't perform well.

Just put a topped plant into flower with lst work... kind of looks like a scrog grow with out the netting :thumb:

I'll see if i can get pic for you soon.

**Update - March 15th - Day 62 - Day 22 Flowering**

Hey everyone, haven't been around a lot and have been pretty busy with work and life of course. I will have 2 updates in a row here, this one from sunday and then another to follow from today.

Well, on sunday things were still looking pretty much the same as they were from the previous update. I would have to say that the stripping gave the girls a good stunting for at least a couple of days, was hard to notice a lot of growth over the few days after. They are starting to pick up again now though. Trich production didn't really stop much, they are still popping up everywhere.

All of them got fed on this day still with the 3rd week schedule for my nutrient chart. Next feeding we will change to week 4 and will be adding 2ml/gal of Bloom on top of what they get now. The feeding will then be as follows:
Micro - 8ml, Gro - 3ml, Bloom - 16ml, Armour Si - 1.5ml and Molasses - 1tsp/gal

Not a whole lot else going on over here for these girls today aside from tying down a couple more branches to get them spread out. No deficiencies showing yet either on Amnesia 2 like we had before, been keeping a close eye on her. So lets get on with the pictures!! And then another update!! lol

Here is the room for this days update

Amnesia #1

Amnesia #2

Candy #1

Candy #2

Back
Top Bottom