Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

re: Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

More signs of rising brix:

These plants are losing purple petioles, getting a brighter shade of green, shiney, waxy leaves, etc. This is what it is supposed to look like, but maybe a bit more green, which should happen in the next few days. Getting DeStress tonite, Brix on Wednesday.

Some veg room pics as well.

Beautiful... very nice images too :cheesygrinsmiley:

Goodness your Journals move fast nowadays. Finally got caught back up.. That Purple Cadillac is a special type of lady. Wish we could have a cut of that here in Motown. The name alone would drive us crazy (We love our lacs), but the bud.... Man O Man..

As always Doc thanks for everything you do..

Hey doc, noticed what looks to be a few root aphids in my flowering plants. Nothing too bad I hope, the plants look ok. But shottas story about RA infestation has me quivering in my slippahs. What would you recommend? Any thoughts on sns 203?

One plant is almost done, if I can't kill the aphids, should I toss the soil?

Hey doc, noticed what looks to be a few root aphids in my flowering plants. Nothing too bad I hope, the plants look ok. But shottas story about RA infestation has me quivering in my slippahs. What would you recommend? Any thoughts on sns 203?

One plant is almost done, if I can't kill the aphids, should I toss the soil?

There's a few things you can do for this:

1. use a product designed to kill them, especially a pyrethrin based product.
2. beneficial nematodes

The first choice works pretty well. Most garden shops will have something that fits the bill.

There is another choice that's more of a prevention: mosquito dunk in your water supply.

Hey Doc Bud!

So I am new to this community, and I must say that I really love it. I am so enthralled by all of the beautiful and creative grows people have to share, and I cannot wait to get in on all of the action! Firstly I would like to thank you for being so hugely involved, your journals and research have helped expand my knowledge of growing cannabis and general horticulture greatly. Keep on doing what you're doing, you make some god damn beautiful medicine.

Anyways, now that everyone has a glimpse of my admiration of your growing skills, I have a few questions!

I am extremely interested in buying one of your soil kits for my first grow, I am hoping that by using a tried and true soil kit that I will be able to focus on honing my plant growing and manipulating (especially in terms of LST) abilities before I experiment with my own soil recipes. After reading this entire thread thoroughly, I am convinced a High Brix grow will be perfect for my first time and you are the man to set me on my path!

If you want info on how I plan on running my first grow, I would encourage you to check out Icemud's most current Journal (I think it's his most current, it says so in his signature). After finding out about the wonders of ScrOGing, I quickly found Icemud here on 420magaine and was so impressed with what he was able to do with limited space and fewer plants. I chime in (pleading for advice really) at page 52 post #768. I know you two are acquaintances through this site, and when I noticed that someone growing as beautiful buds as he does was asking you for advice... I had to find out who you were!

Anyways, here is a link to the journal:

Icemud's Grow 8.0 - New Intelligent-Gro LED - 2 x IGRO-228 LED - Testing And Review

Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer! I would be more than happy to take any criticism/advice/encouragement/tips/tricks you have to offer me, you are a masterful grower!

Best regards,
Max (MaxYields)

There's a few things you can do for this:

1. use a product designed to kill them, especially a pyrethrin based product.
2. beneficial nematodes

The first choice works pretty well. Most garden shops will have something that fits the bill.

There is another choice that's more of a prevention: mosquito dunk in your water supply.

Thanks doc! I'll try some pyrethrum. Can't ship nematodes to hawaii not sure if there is a local source. Is it worth the risk to recycle this soil? Not sure how bad my problem is.

Will healthy soil naturally fight/repel root aphids? Ie is it possible to have a few root aphids but no real negative effect? I remember you mentioning that you had some spider mites but no problems in the healthy plants.

Edit:

Just called LHS looking for nematodes and asked for his solution to root aphids. He suggested h2o2 drench. What do you think about that? sounds terrible for soil health.

Final edit:

Some reading has me more lost than ever hahaha. I'll need to catch one of these little fuckers and see what it really is. I've learned that there are good soil mites as well. If there is no harm to my plants then I see no reason to drench with anything.

Called the department of agriculture, getting some nematodes would require me jumping through a bunch of hoops. Going to identify the buggers and if needed try the pyrethrum first.

Thanks again doc

Thanks doc! I'll try some pyrethrum. Can't ship nematodes to hawaii not sure if there is a local source. Is it worth the risk to recycle this soil? Not sure how bad my problem is.

Will healthy soil naturally fight/repel root aphids? Ie is it possible to have a few root aphids but no real negative effect? I remember you mentioning that you had some spider mites but no problems in the healthy plants.

Edit:

Just called LHS looking for nematodes and asked for his solution to root aphids. He suggested h2o2 drench. What do you think about that? sounds terrible for soil health.

Final edit:

Some reading has me more lost than ever hahaha. I'll need to catch one of these little fuckers and see what it really is. I've learned that there are good soil mites as well. If there is no harm to my plants then I see no reason to drench with anything.

Called the department of agriculture, getting some nematodes would require me jumping through a bunch of hoops. Going to identify the buggers and if needed try the pyrethrum first.

Thanks again doc

The H2o2 "drench" is a really bad idea. It is, with the exception of bleach, possibly the worst thing you could add to a living, biological grow as it will kill biota in a good way.

How many runs do you have on this soil? As organic matter builds up, pH goes down and low pH favors bugs, while higher pH favors molds and so forth. Have you gotten the second amendment yet?

The H2o2 "drench" is a really bad idea. It is, with the exception of bleach, possibly the worst thing you could add to a living, biological grow as it will kill biota in a good way.

How many runs do you have on this soil? As organic matter builds up, pH goes down and low pH favors bugs, while higher pH favors molds and so forth. Have you gotten the second amendment yet?

Ya the LHS I called is by far my least favorite but they carry good products. I thought his suggestion sounded retarded but i figured it was worth putting it out there at least for a laugh. He prob uses advanced nutricrap....

Shit doc first run on this soil. If all else fails I'll chop, toss, and start over.

Catching one this evening and putting under the scope.

Read about some stuff called met 52. It's a fungus that supposed to work really good against root aphids. They use in Europe on grapevine fields. Expensive as all hell.

I'm praying they are just soil mites.

Need to figured how to stop the cycle. I think veg plants ok but want to be careful. Wondering about the bins of soil I have ready and waiting..

Ya the LHS I called is by far my least favorite but they carry good products. I thought his suggestion sounded retarded but i figured it was worth putting it out there at least for a laugh. He prob uses advanced nutricrap....

Shit doc first run on this soil. If all else fails I'll chop, toss, and start over.

Catching one this evening and putting under the scope.

Read about some stuff called met 52. It's a fungus that supposed to work really good against root aphids. They use in Europe on grapevine fields. Expensive as all hell.

I'm praying they are just soil mites.

Need to figured how to stop the cycle. I think veg plants ok but want to be careful. Wondering about the bins of soil I have ready and waiting..

Pyrethrin will work just fine. Not toxic to humans unless you drink it or bathe in it.

Hi Doc!

Im not sure if I should ask kit questions in this thread or the "lab" thread, but wanted to check with you about when to add recharge top-dressing and when to apply the cat drench. I flipped the ladies on 5/13 and some hairs are starting to show. Here are some pics:
WP_20140523_005-001.jpg

WP_20140523_004-001.jpg

I know you warn about not applying the cat drench too early; I appreciate your input on if my timing is correct.

One more thing: The Cherry Berry got a few mites on her. They came in from a couple of plants I needed to veg and now I am not sure about what to apply. I have "Safer" organic miteicide, Neem oil, or just keep spraying stress and brix. It looks like they are only on a couple leaves.

Anyway, thanks again for all you do, and hope to see you in my journal when time permits.

Cheers!
/BA

Hi Doc!

Im not sure if I should ask kit questions in this thread or the "lab" thread, but wanted to check with you about when to add recharge top-dressing and when to apply the cat drench. I flipped the ladies on 5/13 and some hairs are starting to show. Here are some pics:
WP_20140523_005-001.jpg

WP_20140523_004-001.jpg

I know you warn about not applying the cat drench too early; I appreciate your input on if my timing is correct.

One more thing: The Cherry Berry got a few mites on her. They came in from a couple of plants I needed to veg and now I am not sure about what to apply. I have "Safer" organic miteicide, Neem oil, or just keep spraying stress and brix. It looks like they are only on a couple leaves.

Anyway, thanks again for all you do, and hope to see you in my journal when time permits.

Cheers!
/BA

I'd wait. I tried cat drench early it is a yield killer. Wait till the budsites are established and pushing pistils

Hi Doc!

WP_20140523_005-001.jpg

WP_20140523_004-001.jpg

Cheers!
/BA

I'd wait a couple weeks on the Cat Drench for sure. There needs to be nice puffy little pistil balls.

As for the mites, the stuff you have on hand will probably take care of them. Spray a few times with the Safer spray, and make sure to irritate the lMF'rs with Brix and DeStress when you spray those.

The plant looks good!

Terrific, thanks! I appreciate the guidance and the compliment. Among all my grows, I am most excited to see how this one turns out!

Im applying many of these techniques to our vegetable & herb garden. This journey will be a learning experience which permanently changes the way I think about gardening.

-BA

If the tap water is below 200 ppm it will likely be OK to use, because the Total Alkalinity will be low enough to be offset by the buffers in the soil. Bicarbonates will form in the soil which will ruin everything if the TA is too high.

The best thing to do if you're worried about using tap water is thus:

Test it. PPM's over 200? Don't use it without filtering or RO.
PPM's under 200? Test for Total Alkalinity. If that's below about 120 you'll probably have better results with the tap water than with RO.

Total Alkalinity is a measurement of Calcium Carbonate in the water. We like calcium....
CaCO3 is 88 and ppm is 191. Good to go?
Thanks bro :)

image10547.jpg
image10546.jpg
image10545.jpg
image10548.jpg

Cali connections green cush 4 wks flower cat twice just switched back to energy. For anyone who doesn't know this HI brix is fun!

Back
Top Bottom