Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Now that Colombian is some pretty plant, I like them when they're big and wispy and they start waving on the wind :tokin:

First post on here, and I couldn't think of a better place for it. Before anything else, I wanted to thank Doc for his passion and all he's done over the years, especially the fact that he's sharing it with us all. I've been keeping a journal on another forum, but I find myself spending more time on here following this high brix craze that I figured it was time to just make the jump to join Doc and the gang on the high brix journey. It started when I stumbled across the bud washing (mind blown), which I've now done on my last three plants and won't be looking back. I'm about to harvest my last living plant and plan to take a few months off for travels, but when I start up again in a few months, I'd love to take the high brix path. I've been trying to catch/keep up for the last few months, and I think I have a pretty good grasp of most things (and big thanks to MysterySeeds for creating the basics/instructions compilation - will likely be a huge help and a great starting point).

There are a few things I'm curious about, but only one I'm going to ask about now. Before stumbling onto high brix and the kit, I was really interested in the concept of running 12/12 from seed in 3 gal rootmaker pots (start to finish). I've read plenty of times that bigger container is better when it comes to high brix growing, but would 12/12 from seed in 3 gal achieve good results (high brix)? In lieu of that, I have 5 gal rootmaker pots that I would likely use - 7 gal is just a little big for my space currently. I think I remember seeing a few times many posts ago that doc mentioned 5 gallon rootmakers could be used in place of 7 gallon pots, but I can't remember the exact post or whether they would be treated any differently. Anyway, sorry for the long post guys - just getting excited about joining your gang!

First post on here, and I couldn't think of a better place for it. Before anything else, I wanted to thank Doc for his passion and all he's done over the years, especially the fact that he's sharing it with us all. I've been keeping a journal on another forum, but I find myself spending more time on here following this high brix craze that I figured it was time to just make the jump to join Doc and the gang on the high brix journey. It started when I stumbled across the bud washing (mind blown), which I've now done on my last three plants and won't be looking back. I'm about to harvest my last living plant and plan to take a few months off for travels, but when I start up again in a few months, I'd love to take the high brix path. I've been trying to catch/keep up for the last few months, and I think I have a pretty good grasp of most things (and big thanks to MysterySeeds for creating the basics/instructions compilation - will likely be a huge help and a great starting point).

There are a few things I'm curious about, but only one I'm going to ask about now. Before stumbling onto high brix and the kit, I was really interested in the concept of running 12/12 from seed in 3 gal rootmaker pots (start to finish). I've read plenty of times that bigger container is better when it comes to high brix growing, but would 12/12 from seed in 3 gal achieve good results (high brix)? In lieu of that, I have 5 gal rootmaker pots that I would likely use - 7 gal is just a little big for my space currently. I think I remember seeing a few times many posts ago that doc mentioned 5 gallon rootmakers could be used in place of 7 gallon pots, but I can't remember the exact post or whether they would be treated any differently. Anyway, sorry for the long post guys - just getting excited about joining your gang!

With weak lighting, the 3's will barely work. Under strong lights, the 5's will barely work.

7's or higher is where it's at!

Thanks for all the kind words! Yep, this is a passion. Congrats on the Budwashing. It's a no brainer! The fact that it isn't standard practice and was only recently invented is perhaps the strongest argument that Cannabis kills brain cells! Well, the last 3 presidents smoked pot and they're all a pretty strong argument that it makes a person stupid too.....

If only they had smoked High Brix bud.

This plant has taken to the HB soil better than anything so far. If it turns out well, I could see myself just growing it alone!

If I had a nickel every time Doc says this....

Haha! I read about 500 pages of assorted Brixgang material about 6months - a year ago, (it was like watching Breaking Bad all at once) and I remember when Doc started to get his kit really dialed at first at it was like Champagne only! Then ....Champagne is ok, Paki only and forever! Then this Grape Ape...holy no joke guys this one guys.....

I think these weedplants are a bunch of bag seed. Dude is good at his craft, visibly getting better, strains be damned. And even though I say it in jest, we are all rightfully concerned about our own projects, DON"T WORRY DUDES, this shit works, the support is just off the hook.

Like everyone else I was worried I didn't cook my soil right, it was at like 61f for the first 40 days (winter apt!), but its been at 75-82f for the last 40 days (I only have 12 gal out of 2 kits used so far). Did a decent prune the other day and threw in some dead leaves and Roots to see what happens.

Its only been like 3 days, not the greatest photo, but that is fuzzz. I haven't added any water since March they are condensating heavily on the bin lids.

CAM00670_zpskmk5vybv.JPG

Quick questions....

My now soil planted clones are 24 hours into it, look good, new growth appears to be continuing. The ones in your kit in the attached photo are on the right, front tray... I swear I have a Jedi coming up soon in there also....anyway

My question is when I should give them anything? Water/feed?

Right now they are in the soil they brewed/cooked in, with the water which i brewed, it appears to be moist, but they've had water mist from the top/nothing else.

I have a humidity dome over them when I'm not taking pictures,, RH in that tent itself is 60+

I am also wondering if I should trim the oldest set of leaves,, ones that I should have trimmed when I cloned them.. here is a recent pic.. thank you!

20150601_205642.jpg

Ok, great, thanks for the help, I mean lip service. Guess I'm not part of the clique...ok thanks again

MMM-
Personally (fairly new to this):
I'd give them water only, or light Trans water could be used.
I would NOT trim leaves at this point.
I don't remember your cloning method. If the plants were well rooted when placed in soil, would get rid of the humidity dome but keep the soil damp until you see new growth.

Yah, I'm good, I got a PM from 36grow once I posted but already screwing up already I wanted my hand held. Which I don't need often,, but, I'm clueless with clones.

Anyone wanna give me an idea what's the next step for them. The clones,,, should I be looking to move them from the veg tent anytime soon?.. to my greenhouse? I can move them in and out,, meaning they will be getting 24/7??

id say most if not all are taking...But I understand they are still very fragile

And then,, when, in days, or weeks will they go from the solo cups to one gallon cans... ??? I know it's not the same for all, but,, this is uncharted water... Thanks!!

Huh?

I don't catch every post bro. I try.

1. no humidity domes anymore if they have roots.
2. They look great!
3. a mild GE drench is fine when they grow another node or two.

You watered them in with Roots! and a weak Transplant solution, yes?

No worries, before my coffee you've got me on track, thanks.. I never gave them a transplant solution,, just Dee stress foliar Tuesday and today. And RO only water,, just today since I packed them in the cups

Yah, I'm good, I got a PM from 36grow once I posted but already screwing up already I wanted my hand held. Which I don't need often,, but, I'm clueless with clones.

Anyone wanna give me an idea what's the next step for them. The clones,,, should I be looking to move them from the veg tent anytime soon?.. to my greenhouse? I can move them in and out,, meaning they will be getting 24/7??

id say most if not all are taking...But I understand they are still very fragile

And then,, when, in days, or weeks will they go from the solo cups to one gallon cans... ??? I know it's not the same for all, but,, this is uncharted water... Thanks!!

I'd go to 2 gallons if you have' em.

If you're looking to put them in the greenhouse, get them on 24 hours of light now, to avoid photoperiod stress when they go outside.

Use Transplant when you transplant....other than that, pretty simple.

I'd go to 2 gallons if you have' em.

If you're looking to put them in the greenhouse, get them on 24 hours of light now, to avoid photoperiod stress when they go outside.

Use Transplant when you transplant....other than that, pretty simple.

Yah, that was confusing... they are on 24/7 now, that's how that tent runs for now. Soon, it'll be my sexing tent when I build a smaller veg/clone box,, anyway.

I was thinking I'd start bringing them outside, in the greenhouse by day, and then back in the tent for nighttime, real nighttime. So, I'd keep them on 24, just half or part time outside.

I have 1.7 gallons.. I'll move them to those next. Thank you

Lookin forward to pics, doc.

Hey, anyone and everyone, what's the best bulb/ballast to go for HPS? I've only done led only reason I'm asking. I've seen good things from the Apollo and hortilux bulbs, maybe give those a shot.

Lookin forward to pics, doc.

Hey, anyone and everyone, what's the best bulb/ballast to go for HPS? I've only done led only reason I'm asking. I've seen good things from the Apollo and hortilux bulbs, maybe give those a shot.

Best? Or best value?
I've had good luck with Apollo and it seems to be about as cheap as they get = good value. Probably not the best gear regardless of cost, however. The ballast runs quiet and cool. It has a restart delay for power blips (common here), works with both MH and HPS, and is dimmable - so far never used that feature.
I've haven't tried the double-ended stuff to know if it is worth the $$$.

Back
Top Bottom