Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Could be the soil.....could also be nightime temps.

I didn't think about temps but, I don't think so, but could be. They spend most days outside, but the rest of the time or on cloudy/shitty days they are in my tent in my basement, sheesh don't tell. I need to get my oil burner serviced and that's going to be interesting.

Anyway.

The floor may be cold, and maybe they got cold feet. I'll raise them up off the floor. But, it's been warm the past month,, my basement is around 65-75 during the day and probably similar at night -- although I'm not certain about that.

They look fine, i jumped the gun on the soil,, seeing/saw some nitrogen tox,, but they are fine,, my fault totally if anything, I didn't plan well for cooking this batch.

Thanks Boss :)

I didn't think about temps but, I don't think so, but could be. They spend most days outside, but the rest of the time or on cloudy/shitty days they are in my tent in my basement, sheesh don't tell. I need to get my oil burner serviced and that's going to be interesting.

Anyway.

The floor may be cold, and maybe they got cold feet. I'll raise them up off the floor. But, it's been warm the past month,, my basement is around 65-75 during the day and probably similar at night -- although I'm not certain about that.

They look fine, i jumped the gun on the soil,, seeing/saw some nitrogen tox,, but they are fine,, my fault totally if anything, I didn't plan well for cooking this batch.

My outdoor plants turned purple almost overnight once the lows were down in the mid-40's. Warmer temps would likely be more gradual.

Anyway.

Nothing that can't be recovered from for sure. Generally speaking, purple stems mean phosphorus isn't getting taken up properly, which is almost always due to low temps when you're in kit soil, because there is abundant P in the soil.

Got it, will raise the light bar which will mean I'll have to raise the plants up. Tired of bending over anyway! Should solve that, glad I asked!

I'll add heating mats if necessary, thks!

I thought I would throw out a quick tip on bottom watering in one gallon plastic pots. You can get one gallon pots from the local big box hardware store. In the paint section they also have 2.5 quart buckets that are perfect for bottom watering the one gallons. For the seven gallon fabric pots you could use a "foot tub" or "wash basin" which come in a variety of sizes. Hope this helps someone.

Hey doc while we r on purple stems......I get the tops of leave stems turn purple but the under side is green....and the stalk will get some purple lines or streaks running down it.....is this also from cool temps.....

With that said my little room has a 6in filter that pulls through constantly new air.......the controller is set on low and I am able to keep the room bout 76-77......with lights on......the air coming in is around 67-69 constantly......it is the basement......I guess what I'm thinking is the intake comes up from the bottom of the plants....they sit up bout 10 inches off the floor.......could the situation be that the bottom of my GR is cool and the higher up ya go it gets warmer from the LEDs?

I don't know if ya follow all that.....lol, I berly do........:)

I guess original question, half purple stems........

I thought I would throw out a quick tip on bottom watering in one gallon plastic pots. You can get one gallon pots from the local big box hardware store. In the paint section they also have 2.5 quart buckets that are perfect for bottom watering the one gallons. For the seven gallon fabric pots you could use a "foot tub" or "wash basin" which come in a variety of sizes. Hope this helps someone.

Sometimes I use another pot of the same size, or preferably, one size larger. I throw a trash bad into the pot so it doesn't leak water and then just nest my plant to be watered into the new wading pool made from the larger pot with liner.

Hey doc while we r on purple stems......I get the tops of leave stems turn purple but the under side is green....and the stalk will get some purple lines or streaks running down it.....is this also from cool temps.....

With that said my little room has a 6in filter that pulls through constantly new air.......the controller is set on low and I am able to keep the room bout 76-77......with lights on......the air coming in is around 67-69 constantly......it is the basement......I guess what I'm thinking is the intake comes up from the bottom of the plants....they sit up bout 10 inches off the floor.......could the situation be that the bottom of my GR is cool and the higher up ya go it gets warmer from the LEDs?

I don't know if ya follow all that.....lol, I berly do........:)

I guess original question, half purple stems........

What you're describing is normal for rising brix.....when it gets up around 15 or so, the entire stem will be green. Increase the Brix foliar regimen to once every 5 days for 10 days and that problem should stop. You could also try another Transplant drench.

What you're describing is normal for rising brix.....when it gets up around 15 or so, the entire stem will be green. Increase the Brix foliar regimen to once every 5 days for 10 days and that problem should stop. You could also try another Transplant drench.

Beautiful! I have ALWAYS had 1/2 purple and 1/2 green petioles, I thought it was normal. More brix kinda scares me, seems like everytime I give a good brix spraying (2 oz spray bottle on 8 plants) it seems like my leaves get the brix burn or the tips get burnt. I aim for the underside of the leaves 1st thing after lights on. I realize some will fall onto the top of the leaves causing the burns but I can't avoid it.I actually backed off on the frequency and strength to stop this. I been spraying about every 8-9 days and using about .75 ML/oz of purified water. I think I will try heavier transplant drenches. The super drench didn't cause any burning or ill effects.

Bleh. I don't think my soil is cooking.

I've got it in a 45 gal plastic resin tote, the kind with wheels on one end. $30 jobber. I put in 30 gal pro mix hp, half the bag of amendments and 2.5 gallons of distilled water. It's been in there 17 days and there's no condensation, no fuzzies and the soil is cool to the touch all the way to the bottom.

Room temps are 75-80F controlled via the house AC and the tote is sitting on a tile floor, if that matters.

Bleh. I don't think my soil is cooking.

I've got it in a 45 gal plastic resin tote, the kind with wheels on one end. $30 jobber. I put in 30 gal pro mix hp, half the bag of amendments and 2.5 gallons of distilled water. It's been in there 17 days and there's no condensation, no fuzzies and the soil is cool to the touch all the way to the bottom.

Room temps are 75-80F controlled via the house AC and the tote is sitting on a tile floor, if that matters.

may need more water..instructions are 3-5 gallons, no?
also, tile floor may pull heat out..drill hole and take temp of soil :)

3-5 gallons is for the full bale, I only did half so 2.5. :)

Thanks for the thermometer idea, I just buried one, we'll see what it says in a bit...

EDIT: and moved it onto carpet. :)

EDIT AGAIN: I dunno if burying a standard thermometer works, but it's saying it's 75f which is room temperature.

I've taken to jamming a fistfull of trim down into the soil bin and checking a few days later to see what's happening to it ...

At 17 days, you have active biota - just a matter of how active. :thumb:

When you bury your hand in the soil does it come out dry or with a little film on it?

I've taken to jamming a fistfull of trim down into the soil bin and checking a few days later to see what's happening to it ...

At 17 days, you have active biota - just a matter of how active. :thumb:

When you bury your hand in the soil does it come out dry or with a little film on it?

This provoked one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments. :laughtwo: Thanks Graytail. That's an excellent idea. :high-five:

Thanks for the input everyone!

DOc: Sorry, forgot to mention the EWC. Put in probably a bit more than 15 pounds since I'm doing a half bale of pro mix. :)

Graytail: I did actually think about testing it with some leaves but I don't have anything to use other than bringing in some weeds (not the kind we like) from outside. Figured that was risky, didn't want to contaminate the soil.

If I put my hand in the soil, it feels somewhat moist, but it doesn't leave anything on my skin. Well, maybe a small amount fine dirt that brushes right off.

If it's not wet enough to leave a film, with Doc's agreement ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

... I'd mix up some very mild, like 1/4 strength, Transplant and Tea and add some more water to the bin, then mix and turn the soil. I've had some iffy cooks, and since I've kept it wetter, I haven't had that problem.

Too wet and you're screwed, but wetter can be better.

If it's not wet enough to leave a film, with Doc's agreement ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

... I'd mix up some very mild, like 1/4 strength, Transplant and Tea and add some more water to the bin, then mix and turn the soil. I've had some iffy cooks, and since I've kept it wetter, I haven't had that problem.

Too wet and you're screwed, but wetter can be better.

This ^

I went down the middle on ewc and water recommendations when I cooked first time. From now on, I'll just go the 5 gal and probably 40# ewc. That's where I usually end up anyway.

:cool:

This ^

I went down the middle on ewc and water recommendations when I cooked first time. From now on, I'll just go the 5 gal and probably 40# ewc. That's where I usually end up anyway.

:cool:

This is about where I am. Doing only a half bale of pro mix, I did 2.5 gallons of water and I did half of a 30# bag of EWC plus a little extra for luck, so I'd say probably at least 18#. I basically did what the instructions called for divided by half because I'm doing half as much soil.

I have been concerned that the bin has too much airflow, so a week ago I sprayed another liter of water and mixed it in a bit to make sure the top layers were moist enough and I also installed some weather stripping to help reduce the air exchange. It's not air tight, but hopefully I've reduced the air flow a bit. The way this bin is designed, the lid doesn't snap on like tupperware, it just kind of notches in place and there are four clips that snap down to hold it in place.

Back
Top Bottom