Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Man doc. I have to say ...
I came into this thread by accident not realizing who you are ..found out lol. and have been constantly click baited to your page because of cool information.
Then I find out you have a website and love nature as much as I do. Mixing natures magic and science like a multisubstance cold fusion.
I love the information on your website. And after reading I'm sold. I am hydro. But have been loving the depth and scope of work for sips. With living organic soil. (Growant got me hooked on sips and l.o.s.) but I was stuck in this....." what I'm doing is working and I'm not set up for that" mentality.
Anyway after reading through your website my curiosity spiked and my brain tingling with ideas.. I feel invigorated by your knowledge. And I want to move forward.
I am curious about your high brix in sips?
Have you done it? Has anyone? Am I right by thinking the two are a perfect match?
#lifetime subscription ...☑

You can find Shiggity's thread here: Shiggity Goes Mad Scientist - Paving The Yellowbrix Road With DIY Adventures!

Man doc. I have to say ...
I came into this thread by accident not realizing who you are ..found out lol. and have been constantly click baited to your page because of cool information.
Then I find out you have a website and love nature as much as I do. Mixing natures magic and science like a multisubstance cold fusion.
I love the information on your website. And after reading I'm sold. I am hydro. But have been loving the depth and scope of work for sips. With living organic soil. (Growant got me hooked on sips and l.o.s.) but I was stuck in this....." what I'm doing is working and I'm not set up for that" mentality.
Anyway after reading through your website my curiosity spiked and my brain tingling with ideas.. I feel invigorated by your knowledge. And I want to move forward.
I am curious about your high brix in sips?
Have you done it? Has anyone? Am I right by thinking the two are a perfect match?
#lifetime subscription ...☑

Hey Dank--just thought I'd chime in--hope you don't mind!

In my personal experience, the SIPs work just fine (like fabric pots) and can be used, but can be harder to get the wet/dry cycle timing down, and therefore the drench-timing down, for optimum root growth/development.

E.g., In a 3.5 gallon SIP I've run in the past, I would drench/water only once a week/10 days--even in flower! Pretty quickly, the plant's feeding schedule was separated from the others in the tent. I prefer consistency, so nowadays I just grow in what I know--mostly plastic pots for indoors that I can dunk the way Doc does, and fabric pots outdoors. That's just my preference.

Like all things, if you ran them a few grows in a row and kept other variables constant, I imagine you'd find a way to make them work--and work well. Hell--start up a journal on it. I bet you're not the only one interested in how to make SIPs work best with the kit.

This is why I like this site, I can let everyone go thru the headaches of experimentation while I sit back and watch and grow fantastic herb using tried and true methods, then be able to switch and still grow fantastic cannabis...If it works out for them. Hahaha!!!
That's funny those "headaches" you speak of ...I'm actively chasing down. I want to learn and there is so much I'm having to pick what's next and I want to learn it all. I feel like I have a good enough grasp on hydro I wanna move on. And with sips I can apply knowledge I have to the new info.(l.o.s.) and continue to build on the same stack instead of starting a whole new process.
Basically I'm saying in trying to find way to stack as many "headaches" into one grow as I can. Lol I love the testing. If I hydro l.o.s. and high brix I should stay busy enough to regret this post! lol

This grow has about 3 weeks left till chop. And I'm already trying to get the setup I need for sips.. It sucks because I was just a couple pieces from having a 6 buckets, recirculating dwc with drip systems air stones and waterfall effect all in one. Just missing like a 250 dollar pump. And 8 more air stones ( 2 in every bucket and res)... But I was gonna have to cut the netting vent on my tent to put res outside it and a few other things. So maybe this way, I will learn more, it will be cheaper, and more fun hopefully. The other was almost a set and forget...which is boring.
Anyway no promises yet I'm native American so I go with the wind. No idea where this river goes. Maybe to a sips high brix... Either way ill let all you guys know!

Youll get that silly upside down tacoing which I've seen many freak out about. Nuff said

Now I know what causes that . Thanks 'tard. I don't spray tops of leaves , but I do spray heavy enough that some drippings get on the top of a few.

Youll get that silly upside down tacoing which I've seen many freak out about. Nuff said

Now I know what causes that . Thanks 'tard. I don't spray tops of leaves , but I do spray heavy enough that some drippings get on the top of a few.
Who me? Kinda confused now. And are you saying spraying the tops of leaves causes the taco?

Who me? Kinda confused now. And are you saying spraying the tops of leaves causes the taco?

No, it's the over-coverage that does it. I often empty the last of my sprayer over the tops of the plants.

Leaves will twist and look funky after a too-heavy dose of Brix foliar. They straighten out later, but if it ever happens to you, that's what causes it.

:bongrip:

Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Hi DBbrixers - you bunch of misfits and ne'er do wells! I have a question I'm hoping you can help me with. It's not specifically kit related but regarding techniques which y'all are going to be more 'across' than many others (collectively speaking).

How early in a plants life is it ok to dunk-drench or to foliar spray?

The contents of such drenches and spray would be a really dilute seaweed solution (self harvested kelp - been stewing for about 6 weeks) and/or some Epsom salts if there is evidence that mag. is lacking.

Thanks .

Re: Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Hi DBbrixers - you bunch of misfits and ne’er do wells! I have a question I’m hoping you can help me with. It’s not specifically kit related but regarding techniques which y’all are going to be more ‘across’ than many others (collectively speaking).

How early in a plants life is it ok to dunk-drench or to foliar spray?

The contents of such drenches and spray would be a really dilute seaweed solution (self harvested kelp - been stewing for about 6 weeks) and/or some Epsom salts if there is evidence that mag. is lacking.

Thanks .

I don't recommend spraying Epsom salts.....it pretty much flushes the leaves, which is only helpful in the case of nitrogen toxicity.

I recommend waiting till 5 sets of true leaves before spraying. Dunking should happen pronto, as soon as it needs water.

Re: Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

I don't recommend spraying Epsom salts.....it pretty much flushes the leaves, which is only helpful in the case of nitrogen toxicity.

I recommend waiting till 5 sets of true leaves before spraying. Dunking should happen pronto, as soon as it needs water.

Thanks Doc,

I had already scratched a pinch of Epsoms into the surface - that's good to know for the future about not spraying it unless leaf flushing is needed ...

I just drenched them - first time using the dunk method . , bubbles n all. .

Cheers

I'm still using the same black plastic pots I've been using for 7 years.

Thats it..... We all need 7 year old aged pots... Just kidding, we just need to listen and pay attention to DOC.

Thats it..... We all need 7 year old aged pots... Just kidding, we just need to listen and pay attention to DOC.

It also helps to have a large tall sealed room with A/C, heater, circulation and venting fans, huey/dehuey, and CO2, built inside a larger building, dedicated to growing the best weeds possible. :laugh: :slide:

Heck, if I could simply walk around my plants and do it without stooping under the lights, I'd be ecstatic. :straightface: A 4x4 grows less and less attractive all the time. I'm tired of cramming myself into there trying to get a good look at plants.

I understand that Graytail. It would be so great to have that environment to grow in. I also understand why its needed for his sake. To improve and know the effects of his changes to the kit over the years he had to limit variables to a minimum. My guess would be DOC has a chart with the temps and humidity he has found to produce the most growth at each stage. I wonder what the ideal fungal/bacteria ratio is for cannabis...

Look the lid is open a crack again.

:thanks: for the compliments. I don't claim to have the only way, neither do I claim to have the best way.....but I can do an above average job consistently. High Brix soil makes life pretty easy. A good environment and basic gardening skills---as opposed to whacko pot-grower folklore---and pretty much anyone can do this.

My helper grows at least as well as I do now. He's been at it about 2 years.

Heck, if I could simply walk around my plants and do it without stooping under the lights, I'd be ecstatic.

You know it Graytail. My 3x6 and 4x8 trays are in a 12x12x12 room. I can walk around each tray and dirt is at shin level, with tops between my chest and a few inches overhead, strain depending.

My helper wanted to cram another 10 plants into his identical room, but after 1 cycle he gave up in order to have access to the plants, like I have.

The environment is the single most important component for success. I'd rather use OC+ in Fox Farms in a perfect environment than High BRix in a crappy one.......

But damn! When things are on point it's pretty ridiculous, some of the buds we see.

I understand that Graytail. It would be so great to have that environment to grow in. I also understand why its needed for his sake. To improve and know the effects of his changes to the kit over the years he had to limit variables to a minimum. My guess would be DOC has a chart with the temps and humidity he has found to produce the most growth at each stage. I wonder what the ideal fungal/bacteria ratio is for cannabis...

Look the lid is open a crack again.

That lid has been opened and peeled back a long time ago JM.

Weed likes bacteria more than fungus. My Roots! product contains several strains of VAM. Tea contains a massive amount of rock eating bacteria....naturally occuring. Of course, in California I make no claims to any myco or bacteria in my products.

They may still be in there.....I just make no claims. <----legal shit.

As far as charts for temp and humidity, I generally run thus:

photoperiod: 11/13
Night temps: 68
Day: 79 to 82 depending on what I'm running and where we're at.
C02: 900 ppm
rH: night 52-55 day 50-60. Again, it depends, but those are my ranges.

Back to the fungal/bacteria ratio: it's going to make a difference. The permutations are un-fathomable. However, just as with wine grapes, the "terrior" produces different tasting grapes. Same thing with cannabis.

Back
Top Bottom