DutchDude's First Grow - 05/2011 - Jiffy - Hempy - SCROG - 250W MH - 4 Strains

I LIKE YOUR JOURNAL DUTCH, Love your SCROG and your selection of buds in the screen.
I was just looking at my trichs under a microscope today and they look cloudy. In your pic they look like they are about to be all cloudy BUT id deff want other opinions if i were you, and you should get a closer look at them.
KEEP IT UP MAN :bravo:

Hey Dutch,

I'd say that the trichs look clear to cloudy. At what point do you plan to harvest?

Do the trichs look similar on the Jock Horror and/or the Emerald Jack at this time?

Looking great!

Thanks guys - I appreciate the input. I have never seen trichomes in person, so I really do not know if these are considered cloudy, or clear.

The reason why I am looking at the Grapefruit Kush is that it is supposed to be a 50 day flower for the GK, and 70 days or so for both the JH and EJ.

But, you are right - I should compare it to the other two, whom should be completely clear at this point.

Semi related question: What is the easiest way to get the sticky off your fingers? Warm water and soap sure don't clean it up easily. . .

SCRAPE AND SMOKE lol or eat it off ....no idk but finger hash sounds like fun.

BUT back to the trichs i do have a suggestion. What i have been doing is using my microscope to look at the trichs of the buds i smoke to see what ratios give what highs....try that out?

FGG - thanks for the suggestion. I cut one popcorn bud off each plant, and have them drying now. I will let you know what they outcome is.

Day 90 / Veg 30 / Flower 38 Alright - I am confused now ! I took the suggestion and cut a sugarleaf of all three plants in order to compare, what surely was going to be very clear (not cloudy) trichomes on the 70 day plants.

Well, it didn't turn out that way. . .

First a current picture of the Grapefruit Kush again:

GK.jpg

I am seeing one trich with a little amber. Right?

Then the Jock Horror:

JH4.jpg

Not really seeing any amber, and didn't expect to see any.

Then the surprise, the Emerald Jack:

EJ.jpg

EJ2.jpg

It looks to me like that girl has about 10% amber???? What the heck !!! So, that is where my confused part comes in. The 70 day strain (EJ) seems way ahead of the 50 day strain (GK).

The only explanation that I have is that the Emerald Jack is directly under the light. But would that make that much of a difference?

Would anybody like to help me with a possible harvest date for the EJ? Do I still have two weeks for a proper flush? If you can tell, this is kinda surprising me. . .

Day 90 / Veg 30 / Flower 38 Alright - I am confused now ! I took the suggestion and cut a sugarleaf of all three plants in order to compare, what surely was going to be very clear (not cloudy) trichomes on the 70 day plants.

Well, it didn't turn out that way. . .

First a current picture of the Grapefruit Kush again:

GK.jpg

I am seeing one trich with a little amber. Right?

Then the Jock Horror:

JH4.jpg

Not really seeing any amber, and didn't expect to see any.

Then the surprise, the Emerald Jack:

EJ.jpg

EJ2.jpg

It looks to me like that girl has about 10% amber???? What the heck !!! So, that is where my confused part comes in. The 70 day strain (EJ) seems way ahead of the 50 day strain (GK).

The only explanation that I have is that the Emerald Jack is directly under the light. But would that make that much of a difference?

Would anybody like to help me with a possible harvest date for the EJ? Do I still have two weeks for a proper flush? If you can tell, this is kinda surprising me. . .

I'd harvest the amber ones pronto. Let the others go a while longer.

I don't know what kind of medium or nutes you're using.....I just viewed a single post from the link you put in my journal, but you're too late to flush the Jock......do try to let it take a LONG time to dry and cure.

Thanks for visiting DocBud - it is an honor. Unfortunately, I have made it even more difficult for myself. . .

When I came home from work, I ran 6 gallons of clean water through the Emerald Jack (not Jock Horror) that showed the amber. I do not have time until this weekend to snip her, but I did have time for a flush tonight.

So, the difficulty came in when I decided to look at a sugar leave of another bud from the same Emerald Jack. No amber whatsoever. . .

So, what now?

EJ3.jpg

To answer your question quickly, so you don't have to read through all my ramblings; I am doing a hempy grow in a 2.5 gallon pot filled with ReadyGro Aeration Formula (mostly coir fiber and perlite) I am feeding them the GH3 system, currently at 950 ppm. Ph is right around 6.0 and the light it is under is a 250W HPS 2700k. The plant is kinda SCROGged, which I will do better with next time :)

Thanks for visiting DocBud - it is an honor. Unfortunately, I have made it even more difficult for myself. . .

When I came home from work, I ran 6 gallons of clean water through the Emerald Jack (not Jock Horror) that showed the amber. I do not have time until this weekend to snip her, but I did have time for a flush tonight.

So, the difficulty came in when I decided to look at a sugar leave of another bud from the same Emerald Jack. No amber whatsoever. . .

So, what now?

EJ3.jpg

To answer your question quickly, so you don't have to read through all my ramblings; I am doing a hempy grow in a 2.5 gallon pot filled with ReadyGro Aeration Formula (mostly coir fiber and perlite) I am feeding them the GH3 system, currently at 950 ppm. Ph is right around 6.0 and the light it is under is a 250W HPS 2700k. The plant is kinda SCROGged, which I will do better with next time :)

that's cool! Both the set up and the fact that most of the triches are still clear/cloudy.

Just check a couple every day, different parts of the plant and get a feel for it....harvest when you wish. I personally like a cloudy triche for Indicas, and a 5% amber for racey Sativas. Your mileage may vary.....it's a completely individual thing.

Nice job!

I think you're gonna have a nice harvest.

Hey Dutch, things are looking really good!!! thanks also for keeping active in my journal, much appreciation!!! As far as your one that is showing about 30-50% amber, what I did with mine is made the judgement not just on one cola, but when 5 or 6 of the cola's were about the same. I found that for some reason, some cola's matured a lil faster than others, some where half amber while others were only 1/3. I waited with mine until most of the cola's were showing amber to harvest....So far with my blue dragons that I did this with, a very very cerebral upbeat high, my University hill's are much more of a indica stone, but still very heady and cerebral...

Flushing...MacGuyver gave me some good advice and mentioned to start flushing when you see about 1/3 to 1/2 amber trichomes.... With mine I was using organics so not as concerned about flushing as those with salt based fertz, but still wanted to purify the taste if possible so I did a flush/ramping. From the point I started to see about 30% amber I began reducing all my Earthjuice line to about 1/3 the amount that I had been using. At this point I worked the nutrients completely out of the mix within the next 2 waterings and the last watering I only gave distilled water, and soil amendments such as molassus, liquid carbo load and humic acid...(no direct nutrients, feeding the soil to leach remaining nutrients).... So far with 1 week of drying and only 1 week of curing, taste is incredible, smoke is smooth, no harshness, and overall a much better smoking experience than 90% of what I buy from clubs.....

You should be fine with that last flushing...just let the soil dry out as much as possible before you harvest....also you may want to check into giving a 24-48 hr dark period prior to harvest...I have read beneficial things.....

Great job dutch!!!!

Hey Dutch, things are looking really good!!! thanks also for keeping active in my journal, much appreciation!!! As far as your one that is showing about 30-50% amber, what I did with mine is made the judgement not just on one cola, but when 5 or 6 of the cola's were about the same. I found that for some reason, some cola's matured a lil faster than others, some where half amber while others were only 1/3. I waited with mine until most of the cola's were showing amber to harvest....So far with my blue dragons that I did this with, a very very cerebral upbeat high, my University hill's are much more of a indica stone, but still very heady and cerebral...

Flushing...MacGuyver gave me some good advice and mentioned to start flushing when you see about 1/3 to 1/2 amber trichomes.... With mine I was using organics so not as concerned about flushing as those with salt based fertz, but still wanted to purify the taste if possible so I did a flush/ramping. From the point I started to see about 30% amber I began reducing all my Earthjuice line to about 1/3 the amount that I had been using. At this point I worked the nutrients completely out of the mix within the next 2 waterings and the last watering I only gave distilled water, and soil amendments such as molassus, liquid carbo load and humic acid...(no direct nutrients, feeding the soil to leach remaining nutrients).... So far with 1 week of drying and only 1 week of curing, taste is incredible, smoke is smooth, no harshness, and overall a much better smoking experience than 90% of what I buy from clubs.....

You should be fine with that last flushing...just let the soil dry out as much as possible before you harvest....also you may want to check into giving a 24-48 hr dark period prior to harvest...I have read beneficial things.....

Great job dutch!!!!

Icemud - missed you comments man :) Thanks for visiting. I am going to pull leaves from different buds every three days or so, until the amber is more pronounced in more then one cola. I will follow you advise on the flushing, but probably cannot introduce the dark period. The three plants are all in the same scrog - so I either do all three at the same time, or not do a dark period at all.

Looking great Dutch...Alochol works great to remove sticky icky icky..from fingers, scissors, whatever..:high-five: or you could just :roorrip:
And I know that I have one of those large bottles of alcohol based hand sanitizer somewhere, just need to find it. Guess the flu virus scare was good for something :) Thanks for the suggestion GT.

This is your first time growin weed?
If so I am pretty impressed.
There is some very good growin going on in this thread.
I tend to stck with hydro but I will be keeping tabs on yout journal.
Subscribed.

Can't you tell from all the rookie questions :) Yeah, first time, and doing it for the missus. But, being in a lot of stress lately, I might have to try and see what it does for me as well.

The next go around is going to be aeroponics (second link from top of my sig), so if you have any suggestions for that one, then it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the visit and the compliment.

DUTCHDUDE, that is a very, very nice scrog u got there. when doing a scrog, u need to do all the same strain (as i'm sure u figgered out by now) so u don't have the timing probs u're having now. no matter, i'd start harvest fairly quickly on the one that's ready now. very impressive. i think i'd stick w/scrog for a few grows to hone u're skills. ya' got talent there!

DUTCHDUDE, that is a very, very nice scrog u got there. when doing a scrog, u need to do all the same strain (as i'm sure u figgered out by now) so u don't have the timing probs u're having now. no matter, i'd start harvest fairly quickly on the one that's ready now. very impressive. i think i'd stick w/scrog for a few grows to hone u're skills. ya' got talent there!

Thanks Paw-Paw. I do not think that I will be doing a scrog again though. Too much of a pain in the space that I have. For my second grow, I am going to try a perpetual grow using aeroponics - just something new to try :)

If you have suggestions of which strains produce a nice large single cola - then I would appreciate it.

Day 94 / Veg 30 / Flower 42 Much needed pictures!

I have been neglecting to take overview, and bud shots with all this trichome business :)

Overview of the 'scrog':

P1020654.JPG

The left side (Grapefruit Kush):

P1020655.JPG

One of the 6 weeks old flowers of the Grapefruit Kush:

P1020656.JPG

The middle of the scrog (Emerald Jack):

P1020657.JPG

One of the Emerald Jack buds at 6 weeks:

P1020658.JPG

The right side of the scrog (Jock Horror):

P1020659.JPG

One of the nugs of the Jock Horror at 6 weeks:

P1020660.JPG

This one is probably the biggest bud of all of them, and it is a Jock Horror. The tallest one in the back of the right side picture - about 12 oz Coke can sized:

P1020662.JPG

Back
Top Bottom