Emmie's 6 Plant, True Living Organic, LED Grow Journal

soon I will have a medical card and 3 patients. I will finally be legal too. It will feel great!
:yahoo::cheer::circle-of-love::cheer::yahoo:Yes, being able to help others with this wonderful herb, and doing it legally, must be the greatest feeling ever!. Especially when you have done so much for it to go legal in your State :hug:
Enjoy :hug:

hiya Emmie,

Great news. We went legal a couple years ago, and they're still deciding how to create laws to govern. Meanwhile, we can grow unmolested, within reason! So much better than it used to be. Congratulations on living in a legal state!!

DSCF6709.JPGDSCF6707.JPG
A couple of maintenance things in the tent this morning...
Note the discoloration on the fan leaf on Wappa, there on the right. Even though she is still unable to drain the cup in 24 hours even now 2 days after the topping, this discoloration told me all I needed to know. She was starting to get very cramped in that cup only 3/4 filled with soil and was starting to exhibit rootbound symptoms.
I tend to pop up all over the forum, mostly on threads where people are looking for answers to a problem in the tent, so you never know when or where I will let loose with a treatise or a small dissertation on how to water, why we pH, whatever got up my skirt that day... and you never know where or when little gems of logic and common sense will appear. I have had people tell me that they follow me just for that reason, so they don't miss one of these advanced papers on growing that I carelessly leave around in random places. Lately I have been going off about pH a lot, but also on the need to wait for a good scientific reason to up-pot, so it makes sense to address some of that here on my own thread and show that even when most gardeners out there would have transplanted to a larger container this morning, I knew to wait.
When I lifted both of these plants, Wappa and Jack Herer, out of their containers, there were all kinds of roots to be seen. The roots are just starting to hit the sides all over the cup and will be starting to wrap soon. Neither plant has achieved my objective though, to be able to drain their container in 24 hours. Instead of transplanting, I have exercised my option to raise them up on a new bed of fresh soil underneath the present rootball, with an extra goodie to give them yet another boost.
I have added a thin high nitrogen layer down there for the expanding roots to find. This layer consists of the following:
1 part oyster shell flour
2 parts high N bat guano
1 part feather meal
2 parts blood meal
This high N mix is so important in my garden that I premix a batch of it for each run. The next container will have 2 layers of this mix in it, as well as some high N spikes in a few places in the container. These layers and spikes are great for our gardens because the roots are pretty good about specializing their activity (gathering the right microlife} around deposits such as these. It is one thing to force feed uncooked materials into the soil, it is quite another to let the roots encounter deposits of them as they seek out their limits.
Oh, and raising them up like this moved their tops up one inch closer to the LED... now at the recommended 12" above the canopy.

It's the first time on this forum that I've heard mention of using blood meal on this forum as I've been toying with the idea of adding this into the mix as well....

I have actually been trying to slow Wappa down so the others can catch up with her a bit. She is now 22 days above soil, compared to Jack at 19 days, and the youngest, Trainwreck a full 10 days younger at 12 days above ground. By putting up with Wappa yelling at me I have stalled her a couple of days but no one could sleep around here with all that racket going on in the grow room, and today I decided to up-pot her and Jack. Jack was just now using all of her water in 24 hours and still had shown no signs of rootbound distress, so today was the perfect time to up pot for her.
Let's look at the tribe now, with the two big girls sporting their new 1 gallon containers.
DSCF6710.JPG DSCF6711.JPG
Wappa [22 days] Jack Herer [19 days]

DSCF6712.JPG Left to Right:
TrainWreck [12 days]
NYC Diesel [15 days]
Super Cheese [15 days]
Ice Breaker [15 days]

The new containers were both layered and spiked. The bottom of the container got a thin layer of supersoil and then a thin layer of a high Nitrogen mix
  • 2 parts blood meal
  • 2 parts high nitrogen bat guano
  • 1 part feather meal
  • 1 part ground oyster shell flour
and then a thin layer of 5-5-5 All Purpose Fertilizer.
Then i layered in about an inch of regular super soil and put the rootball on top of this. One Jobe flowering spike was put in the soil nearly to the bottom on the North and South edges of container. Now layering in a circle around the rootball I added an inch of fresh earthworm castings and then soil to an inch from the top. Another thin layer of 5-5-5 was added for the hungry top roots and then more soil on top of that to 3/4 inch or so from the top, where I will eventually put some bark mulch to protect the microlife and further the activity of the living soil underneath.
Next, at the East and West positions, again at the outer edge I poked a hole almost to the bottom and used a funnel to make a thin column of pure nutrient in a high Nitrogen VEG spike consisting of:
  • 2 parts blood meal
  • 1 part bone meal
  • 1 part high N bat guano
  • 1 part feather meal
  • 1 part kelp meal
  • 1/2 part oyster shell flour
The containers were then watered to runoff with calmag+ added at 1tbl / gal.

ms.Emilya please excuse when you measure for your spikes what is the measurement for 2 parts blood meal are you using a measure spoon, apologies if it's a stupid question but us South Africans don't always follow the same measurement units our counterparts across the pond use....lol

ms.Emilya please excuse when you measure for your spikes what is the measurement for 2 parts blood meal are you using a measure spoon, apologies if it's a stupid question but us South Africans don't always follow the same measurement units our counterparts across the pond use....lol
That is the beauty of the part for part system... it doesnt require a standard measurement. I have been known to use an ice cream scoop, or a 2/3 cup... whatever happens to be handy at the moment. There are few rules in TLO.

It's the first time on this forum that I've heard mention of using blood meal on this forum as I've been toying with the idea of adding this into the mix as well....
It is a good slow release... but very powerful. You must be very sparing in applying the bloodmeal uncooked into the soil.

@Emilya
Your grow style has inspired me to take the plunge and give it a whirl. Just wanted to update you on my progress. I have almost everything in Revs book now in stock at home for not only the soil cook but also all of the extras. Not cheap to get started but I can clearly see where it gets cheaper and cheaper every cycle. Just wanted to update you and let youu know that as soon as the cocogrow gets here I can staart getting soil cooking. I plan to let it cook at least 30 days but probably closer to 60 and then send you an invite to my first TLO grow. Thank you again for all of the help. The book has been a very good read so far. I'm right around page 100 or so and taking notes. Thanks again

Good evening mr.Fanleaf, ms.Emilya may I ask who " Rev " as I'm assuming it's not another member on the forum.....????

From his Facebook about page: The Rev is a prolific and popular writer for Skunk Magazine, and has been a vocal advocate of True Living Organics since he turned away from hydroponic synthetic growing many years ago. He can be found enjoying a bowl of his high-quality homegrown pot. He is also the author of one of the Organic Cannabis grow bibles, True Living Organics: The Ultimate Guide to Growing All-Natural Marijuana Indoors. To my knowledge he is not a member of this forum.

Well ms.Emilya that has been an true treat to catch up with your journal as when I joined in January last year as I had started growing and organic is the way I've been heading, but I got lost along the way and haven't really got my soil right as I've been floundering along with growing and not really getting what I want out of growing. But it's a new year and summer is almost over for outdoors so getting my compost going and a worm bin is on the cards in the next cpl weeks so I can start building my soil ingredients for oct when summer starts up as our winters are not as long as yours...

I've been composting steer manure as I get from the farm, but as I learnt it has to be composted extremely well befor you start using it...lol

Must be nice without the fear mcfly.:ganjamon:
I know the feeling Kismet, it was legalized in Ma. in 2016 & the dispensary's are just now starting to open. But every one over 21 is allowed to grow 6 blooming plants & 6 veg.. My wife has a medical card, just so we don't have to worry about plant limits. But I remember being paranoid about posting on 420, before it was legal. I could write a book about my adventures as a gorilla grower.

Just puttering around in the tent this afternoon and decided to play with my tripod and my camera to see if I could get some nice shots of budset, just now starting. We are midpoint in the flip at about 4 days, and the green growth tips are just now starting to be overwhelmed with pistils, now swarming the center on at least most of the bud sites.
Here are pictures of 3 separate plants at the very beginning of budset:
DSCF6811z.png
DSCF6812z.png
DSCF6814z.png

Hiya Emmie,

We are midpoint in the flip at about 4 days
That's really impressive, just 4 days. Is that with the in-between (vegging and flowering, I can't remember what it's called) supplement? I haven't studied it enough to remember what it's called. Sorry.
I can't wait to try the lactobacillus serum and the other three beneficial microorganisms. Thank you for your hard work. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom