Emmie's Perpetual Vegetative Grow Rooms - 2020-2021

We just got done making some significant changes in the small veg alcove. The window has been completely light sealed and Vivosun 6 mil 94-97% reflective diamond pattern mylar has been hung on the ceiling and the 3 walls. Without changing anything else, we now have 1500 more LUX at the canopy. When we install a door with some airflow and make that reflective too, the reflectivity will go up even more.

We have also given up on all the seedlings that have failed to rise above the surface. Let's see if we can do a little better on this next round of old seeds.

DSCF8238.JPG
DSCF8237.JPG
DSCF8236.JPG

I guess old seeds are always iffy, but dam these germination woes. Thanks to your help I finally have all three of my strains going! And you were right about that yellowing on my Amnesia. Just the ones that had sat in dirt. That was a new one on me!

I don’t know about y’all but I’m finding growing weed to be very easy for me to “stay at home”! :Rasta:

I've been working all along, but heck yeah, I'd love to stay at home and grow weed! I enjoy the growing as much as the consuming. :volcano-smiley:

Alright... the ancient seeds are slowly stirring to life... I don't think they have been warm enough to get serious about things... so i put them in an even warmer place. It looks like 2 of the seeds are starting to split and send out a tail... There is certainly more than nothing going on in that paper towel, and I hope so, because I love White Widow, and now I have the lighting to do her justice. I have never grown her organically either, so this should be a treat.

DSCF8253.JPG

These upstairs girls are now growing very quickly and already seem to be on a 2.5 day wet/dry cycle. I will confirm that with the next watering, but we will be transplanting these to 1 gallon containers fairly quickly from all indications.

Construction of the new grow rooms has been delayed because of the Missouri monsoon season. Plans were to buy the lumber and start the framing in this last Sunday, but that didn't work out. Very soon this will start and I will begin showing you the progress as the project develops. Today or tomorrow, the little blue van with the swish on it should be delivering my new rolling cart. Being able to slide the girls out of that nook to get a close look at them and to manage things will be a whole lot better than having to crawl in there on the floor to get to the ones in the back.

Attachments

• DSCF8254.JPG
    DSCF8254.JPG
    564.5 KB · Views: 24
Here is today's $100 upgrade to the veg room, including a 4' Lasko Tower Fan that is blowing fresh air into the alcove. The new closeness to the light that the rolling cart provides allows me to turn the array down to 100w total power... and I am still getting 15k LUX at the top of the plants. There will be no more crawling around on the floor, and I have some new storage bins below the expandable grow table too. This is a total win for a cheapo made in China $28 plastic rolling cart... sometimes cheap is the best tool for the job!

IMG_20200811_141112.jpg

Hydroxycloroquine ... we are being lied to. The stuff works. Just like any cold or flu, stay the heck away from old and sick people. Nothing has changed except your belief that it has.
You are sooo right. I am so sick of medicine being politicized. If I told you my profession (I can't)... I know of that which I speak.

forever upgrading always growing.. nice stuff happening with the nursery here.

would caution hydroxy has been linked to the onset of serious mental illnesses well after discontinued use.
there is a terrible issue here with soldiers that were fed the stuff as an anti-malarial developing severe schizophrenia. the issue has been noted in soldiers both on combat, and non-combat deployments, so differs from the usual ptsd problems in that regard. our military has dropped it's use as result.

This morning found our little menagerie happy and healthy, and even our Gummy Bear who was having trouble standing up with those huge leaves, is now standing strong, even with the oscillating breeze now hitting her. They have all drained their cups and needed a good drink, about a 3 day turn around this time. Please bear with me while I learn how to get the best pictures out if this well lit area... my camera seems to not like what I am doing for some reason.

You can see from the sudden vigor and burst of growth that the plants really liked their application of GeoFlora Veg. I bet they need to be uppotted before we get to the 2nd application.

The ancient white widow seeds are still slowly coming to life. I have a 1/4 inch tail on one, and little stubs on two more... I am going to plant them this evening in some happy frog to see if that coaxes them into action.

DSCF8264.JPG
DSCF8262.JPG

It has been a day in the paper towels... still not even the tiniest of roots. There might be something to seeds being too old, even kept in the fridge. Still holding out hope... and eyeing some Kosher Daddy seeds.
Praying for your WW seed to open and take off and glad your eyeing some others just in case.

I am sure that someday there will be a need to automate things, but right now everything is going to be done by hand. My biggest problem is going to be getting the water upstairs... currently there is no water up there and it will all have to be pumped or hand carried up the stairs. Wintertime is going to further complicate things as it is still unclear if I will be able to use the well, I have no RO installed and the nearest water kiosk is 25 miles away and I am not sure how far to trust the water filter on my fridge. Challenges are what make us stronger though... I look forward to solving these issues, one by one.
Oh my an idea came. We use the space between the chimney and the walling to fish wires through to get power from one floor to another. I wonder if there might be space to run come copper pipe or flex tubing of some sort from the water source. Is there an exposed chimney up there? Maybe enough to fish an RO water tube up to a holding tank or something.

:ciao: High Emilya,
I was also going to mention scarification, it’s quite important imo. I like to take a rectangular piece of sand paper and roll it into a tube. Block off each side with your index and thumb, pop the seed in and shake like hell.

I want to preface my advice on germination by saying that I truly value your opinion as a grower who is far more experienced than I. That said, I’ve recently switched to hempy germination only and I’m happy to report that I’m currently 8/8 since having switched. What’s more, every seed regardless of strain has come up the morning of the 3rd day, like clock work.

just burn a hole in a solo cup 2” up from the bottom. Fill the cup with perlite and tape the hole. add tap water til the perlite floats and let it sit over night. Remove the tape and let all of the water drain out except for whats in the reservoir . Larger pieces of perlite will make it to the top, so remove them. Plant your seed in the finer layer about 1/2” deep. You’ll have a happy sprout in 72 hours. you can let the sprout grow until you start to see true leaves, then pluck it and transplant it.

the issue is that proper soil structure for healthy plant growth often is too Moisture retentive for easy germination. The perlite strikes the perfect air to moisture balance. That’s why the paper towel works. But with the solo cup, you can let the sprout grow until you start to see true leaves.I beg you to try it, because I know you’ll never look back.. like i did.

some people might argue the moisture retentive thing, but the seeds we grow are often extremely expensive.. so i prefer to play it safe.

Now that that’s over.... Congratulations on your purchase and subsequent move!! We’re nearly to the point of purchasing our first house, so I’m feeling all kinds of envious. I would love to be planning my grow room build out. But I’ve got questions for you. I imagine you’ll be starting/continuing a compost bin. Will you start a vermiculture bin as well? That’s the thing I’m most excited for. Producing my own high quality vermicompost... once you’ve got that, the rest is easy. The worms will keep your plants healthy and happy.. oh not to mention the wallet. Vermicompost is expensive as fuuuuuuck

sorry I’m 5 pages late, but I’m excited to see your new op Emilya.

I haven't tried that, but it makes sense. I killed 8 or 9 seeds trying to get my current grow of three plants going and I am convinced that I put them into media that was too wet. I'm back to being sold on rapid rooters, but I know now to wring at least half to three quarters of the water out of them after giving them a soak.

Oh my an idea came. We use the space between the chimney and the walling to fish wires through to get power from one floor to another. I wonder if there might be space to run come copper pipe or flex tubing of some sort from the water source. Is there an exposed chimney up there? Maybe enough to fish an RO water tube up to a holding tank or something.
yes indeed, there has to be a way. The upstairs is an amazing place, with all the area under the roof not seen in the pictures of the room being wide open uninsulated storage space. There is total access to the new wiring junctions and there would be several easy access points to the floor below and to the outside. One of the things not moved over here yet is my big box of PVC scraps and pieces of various projects over the years. I have been thinking in exactly those directions, wondering what would be the easiest way to not only bring well water up where it is needed, but also how to create a way to dispose of water when necessary.

The very first step in all of this has arrived this week, my brand new pH and TDS meters so I can start to analyze the well water. My first difficulty there has to do with the calibration of the meter... 250 ml of distilled water being necessary, and me with no way to measure this magical quantity. Give me time, all the ducks will finally get into a row. Even in the early stages, a temporary holding tank in my back mud room might be able to get water in from the well during the winter, and then I can pump it up to the room from there. Then, when I started to cut some 2x4s into a pump housing and well covering, I realized that my skill saw blade was too dull to work with. A fairly expensive trip to Harbor Freight the other day fixed that problem. Where there is a will, there is a way.

yes indeed, there has to be a way. The upstairs is an amazing place, with all the area under the roof not seen in the pictures of the room being wide open uninsulated storage space. There is total access to the new wiring junctions and there would be several easy access points to the floor below and to the outside. One of the things not moved over here yet is my big box of PVC scraps and pieces of various projects over the years. I have been thinking in exactly those directions, wondering what would be the easiest way to not only bring well water up where it is needed, but also how to create a way to dispose of water when necessary.

The very first step in all of this has arrived this week, my brand new pH and TDS meters so I can start to analyze the well water. My first difficulty there has to do with the calibration of the meter... 250 ml of distilled water being necessary, and me with no way to measure this magical quantity. Give me time, all the ducks will finally get into a row. Even in the early stages, a temporary holding tank in my back mud room might be able to get water in from the well during the winter, and then I can pump it up to the room from there. Then, when I started to cut some 2x4s into a pump housing and well covering, I realized that my skill saw blade was too dull to work with. A fairly expensive trip to Harbor Freight the other day fixed that problem. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Haha you got the will! And a handle on all of this. New toys came, nice! Yeah now you can get some real data to work with.

A note on the future...

At some point in the near future, probably at the first transplant, each of these plants will graduate from this perpetual journal focused on the Veg room in a general sense. There will still be discussions as to how the plants are doing in relation to each other and in shaping the plants to fill the bloom room, cloning, any mother plants that are being held, etc, etc.

At this point, each of these 4 plants is considered to be a rare genetic and will be developed as fully as possible in their own grow journals. I will be studying each of them as an individual and shaping them to work in a 6'6" vertical space. I will be cloning each and then working with those clones, I hope to get to a point where I can get them to give me seeds. We will see several generations of each of these plants.

While the Veg room will have its own perpetual, if I keep individual journals for each variety I move through there, the Bloom room should not need its own log... but we will leave that possibility open for now.

So soon we will have 4 more journals starting up, two 60 day varieties, the Gummy Bear and the Deep Cheese, a 70 day Strawberry Cough, and a very sativic 84 day NYC Diesel. Hopefully we will get a few more in here too... and it will all start first here in the Veg room.

I have only planted one of our White Widows... it looks pretty hopeless in that paper towel. Our superstar got 1/3 supersoil in the bottom of the cup, up to the halfway mark with FFOF, and the top half with FFHF. This layering technique has always worked very well for me. Wish her luck... she is only about 1000 years old in people years.

I have only planted one of our White Widows... it looks pretty hopeless in that paper towel. Our superstar got 1/3 supersoil in the bottom of the cup, up to the halfway mark with FFOF, and the top half with FFHF. This layering technique has always worked very well for me. Wish her luck... she is only about 1000 years old in people years.

a lot of soil growers locally use whats called a hot mix / cold mix, which is a layered soil method.

The girls are growing incredibly fast at the moment, showing us where the strong soil and great nutrient system excel. Lining the room in reflective mylar didn't hurt any either. The plants are all sucking down water and are at a 48 hour wet/dry cycle already... I expect to need to transplant them in less than a week.

I met with the building crew last night and we think we have everything in place, everyone understands the plan, and we will begin construction of the new grow rooms very soon.

Here are the girls, who are going to need water later this morning. You should be able to easily see the growth just since the last pictures.

DSCF8271.JPG

Back
Top Bottom