Exceptionally High Feco Yeilds: Straw Hat Notes

Ahoy there!
I remain convinced we can imitate the environmental stress equivalent to that of an actual drought via the combination of rising ABA levels in the root zone and a single foliar application of MeJA.

The sad truth is the market for ABA and MeJA are put out of reach to private researchers and gardeners. The folks that do have these phytohormones available for sale are not allowed to sell it to us. Even when they want to. shitz

You might wonder why we would think tinkering with hormones could ever overcome the paraquat blues. ABA and JA are not paraquat for starters. Cannabis plants synthesize ABA and JA naturally. When we exogenously supplement the cultivars with these two hormones, we are simply adding to what the plant naturally produces.

I am working on ideas to get around some of the regulations. update soon :hookah:

Happy New Year @Maritimer

May Your ANCHOR be tight,
your CORK be loose,
your RUM be spiced,
your COMPASS be true,
And your BUD burn bright
Awesome
Thanks Rexer,
I hope you find the next year you are free from the droughts of life so as to better focus on the droughts of your cannabis. You have always been a true and caring gentleman. Happy New Year brother :love:

I hope this new year's eve finds you and the missus well and safe, and that 2022 brings health and healing to you and those you serve.

:peace:
Thanks, Shed
If not for your stewardship and generosity I might still be in a rut worrying about myself. I get far more accomplished when I am concerned about others. Thanks for helping me help.

We will chat later about you and @farside05 leaving poor old Maritimer out of the MC improvement loop?
"I feel abandoned"
Rolling Stones song :Rasta:

Happy New Year Brother

We will chat later about you and @farside05 leaving poor old Maritimer out of the MC improvement loop?
"I feel abandoned"
Rolling Stones song :Rasta:

You know the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?". That only works so long with me. After a while I get bored, pick up a handful of rocks, and start looking for things to break so I can have something to fix.

I liked MC. The best results I had with it was the "stinky stuff with balls". The newer blend seemed a bit less effective. I still recommend the stuff though. It's as easy as it gets in soil-less.

Since then I have tried Jack's 15-5-20 for tap water, and MSU Orchid fertilizer, both with good success but not revolutionary. Well, perhaps the MSU was revolutionary in one respect, I proved that you can grow a plant from start to finish with no more than 20 ppm of P.

Now I've bought all kinds of salts and am blending my own fertilizer to my own specs. I call them FN Nutes®. So far that project is going quite well.

Ahoy There 420,
I really wish there was a way all you could join @Krissi1982 and myself on the phone tonight. The conversation is bound to be noteworthy.
In fact, I promise it to be so. :hookah:

Ahoy There 420,
I really wish there was a way all you could join @Krissi1982 and myself on the phone tonight. The conversation is bound to be noteworthy.
In fact, I promise it to be so. :hookah:
Even though I can't join it, I am glad that Krissi is, and that she will come out of it even more rezinated to go on and help the rest of us!

some research notes
JA Notes

"Esterification is the general name for a chemical reaction in which two reactants (typically an alcohol and an acid) form an ester as the reaction product. Esters are common in organic chemistry and biological materials, and often have a pleasant characteristic, fruity odor. This leads to their extensive use in the fragrance and flavor industry."

. Abscisic acid (ABA), ethylene, an d jasmonates (JAs) ar e involved i n th e ability o f a plant to cope with biotic o r abiotic stresses. This redundancy i s a hallmark o f plant development, although i t i s no t clear whether i t i s real o r only apparent, i.e., tw o hormones regulate closely related bu t different aspects o f th e same process. Plant hormones also regulate some activities that ar e specific t o each hormone. Fo r instance, patterning i n embryo development an d polar phenomena such a s apical dominance, vascular differentiation, an d tropic growth under th e influence o f light o r gravity are principally regulated b y th e endogenous auxin, indoleacetic acid o r lAA; mobilization of seed food reserves i n cereal grains i s specific t o GAs; see d dormancy i s induced by ABA; fruit ripening i s associated with ethylene; an d JAs ar e uniquely involved in th e deposition o f vegetative storage proteins. The chapters i n Section II I o f this book reflect th e apparent redundancy and uniqueness of hormone action. They also show that even relatively simple processes. Plant hormones also regulate some activities that ar e specific t o each hormone. Fo r instance, patterning i n embryo development an d polar phenomena such a s apical dominance, vascular differentiation, an d tropic growth under th e influence o f light o r gravity are principally regulated b y th e endogenous auxin, indoleacetic acid o r lAA; mobilization of seed food reserves i n cereal grains i s specific t o GAs; see d dormancy i s induced by ABA; fruit ripening i s associated with ethylene; an d JAs ar e uniquely involved in th e deposition o f vegetative storage proteins.

The chapters i n Section II I o f this book reflect th e apparent redundancy and uniqueness of hormone action. They also show that even relatively simple processes. such as apical dominance o r production o f lateral roots, involve a n interaction o f tw o o r more hormones an d their relative levels, which ar e affected b y environmental and/or developmental cues. Such interaction i s often antagonistic, as , fo r example, lA A and C K interaction in lateral root formation, although i t i s no t clear whether such antagonism i s used for regulation o f th e process i n nature. Synergistic interaction also occurs, e.g., fo r ethylene and J A i n induction o f some genes i n plant defense against pathogens. Finally, several hormones may ac t i n concert, on e after another, t o regulate a sequence o f developmental events. Fo r example, fruit se t may b e regulated b y lAA, fruit growth by GA, fruit ripening b y ethylene, an d seed maturation an d dormancy b y ABA. Because of these interactions among homones and between hormones and environmental factors, the extent o f which we have only recently begun t o appreciate, a n understanding of plant
hormonal response i s a complex and difficult fabric t o unentangle.

Fruit an d seed development and seed germination, covered i n Chapters 17, IS, and 19 , ar e growth-related processes in which CKs, lAA, an d GAs play important although still little understood roles, whereas fruit ripening an d seed maturation and dormancy ar e culminating phases o f growth, akin t o senescence, an d ar e regulated b y ethylene, ABA, an d possibly J As.
Thimann, K. V . (1997). "Hormone Action i n th e Whole Life o f Plants." Th e University o f Massachusetts Press, Amherst.

methyl jasmonate
To study the role of methyl jasmonate in mango fruit ripening and biosynthesis of aroma volatiles, one lot of green mature preclimacteric ‘Kensington Pride’ mangoes was ripened under ambient conditions (21 ± 1°C). The changes in endogenous levels of methyl jasmonate in the pulp during ripening were investigated. Another lot of green mature preclimacteric fruit was treated with methyl jasmonate vapour at different concentrations (0, 10–3M, 10–4M and 10–5M) for 12 h to study the role of methyl jasmonate on biosynthesis of aroma volatile compounds in the fruit. Following methyl jasmonate treatments, the fruit were then allowed to ripen under ambient conditions (21 ± 1°C). Only trans-methyl jasmonate was identified from the pulp of ‘Kensington Pride’ mango. Concentration of trans-methyl jasmonate in the pulp was higher at harvest day (123.67 ng g–1) and decreased as the ripening progressed at the ripe stage (0.14 ng g–1). Methyl jasmonate treatments increased ethylene production at the climacteric stage and was more pronounced at a higher concentration (10–3M) of applied methyl jasmonate. Skin colour of ripe fruit was significantly improved with exogenous application of methyl jasmonate (10–3M). Methyl jasmonate treatments also increased the concentration of fatty acids as well as total aroma volatiles, monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, aromatics, norisoprenoid, alcohols and esters in the pulp of fruit. However, exogenous application of methyl jasmonate tended to reduce production of n-tetradecane, especially on day 5 and 7 of ripening. In general, exogenous application of methyl jasmonate (10–3M) significantly promoted biosynthesis of ethylene, fatty acids and ripening and aroma volatile compounds during fruit ripening. Our experimental results suggest that methyl jasmonte is involved in early steps in the modulation of mango fruit ripening.

Methyl Jasmonate study notes;
In contrast, JA/MJ also has enhanced induction/promotion of leaf senescence and petiole abscission, fruit ripening, chlorophyll degradation, carotenoid biosynthesis, tuber formation, and protein synthesis
A substantial number of drought effects on plants can be mimicked by external application of abscisic acid (Davies et al. 1986). Jasmonates are biologically similar to abscisic acid and, when exogenously applied to plants, elicit a great variety of morphological and physiological responses to stress.
A 500 mM stock solution of methyl jasmonate (M J) (Aldrich Chemical Company, Inc., Milwaukee, WI) was made by our diluting 0.115 mL of methyl jasmonate in 100% ethanol to a final volume of 1 mL (M J/ethanol, 1:9 vol/vol) according to Franceschi and Grimes (1991)
salicylic acid (SA) and methyl jasmonate (MeJA). Foliar sprays with 1 ml SA 1 mM and 1 ml MeJA 100 μM was conducted on 20-day-old wheat

I came across a bunch of documented experiments using foliar sprays to deliver phytohormones to a variety of crops, but not cannabis. Again, we will simply extrapolate methods and protocols as they suit our needs from documented scientific studies.
For example;
“A benzyladenine based plant growth regulator (PGR) named Configure (Fine Americas, Walnut Creek, CA) was applied to 2 cultivars of Sempervivum and 1 species of Echeveria. Applications were made as a single foliar spray applied 3 weeks after potting (WAP) in concentrations of 50, 100, 200, 400 mg.l-1. The number of offsets produced by the plants were counted at 10 WAP. The number of offsets produced by the parent plants increased with the concentration of Configure”

I will note the following bits of useful info. Only a single application was used. The PGR was applied in concentrations involving mg per liter. PGR was applied after 3 weeks after planting.

MEJA

Foliar MeJA application 4 days prior to harvest of broccoli at commercial maturity resulted in enhanced total GS concentrations. Although a single application of 250 µmol L−1 MeJA maximized GS concentrations in broccoli florets, two days of consecutive treatments (4 and 3 days prior to harvest) of 250 µmol L−1 MeJA further enhanced neoglucobrassicin concentrations and floret extract quinone reductase (QR)‐inducing activity. With increasing concentrations of MeJA in spray applications to broccoli florets, concentrations of the glucosinolates glucoraphanin, gluconasturtiin and neoglucobrassicin and the isothiocyanate sulforaphane as well as anticancer and anti‐inflammatory bioactivities as measured by QR induction and inhibition of nitric oxide (NO) production respectively were significantly increased. Concentrations of these phytochemicals showed strong positive correlations with QR‐inducing and NO‐inhibitory activities.

Exogenous jasmonate application has also been shown to reduce chilling injury (Gonzalez-Aguilar et al., 2003) and enhance accumulation of several classes of secondary compounds (as reviewed by Memelink et al., 2001).

Jasmonates [Methyl jasmonate+ jasmonic acid] are crucial cellular regulators that are involved in several plant developmental processes, including seed germination, callus growth, primary root growth, flowering, gum and bulb formation, and senescence [41, 42,]. Jasmonates stimulate plant defense responses to a variety of biotic and abiotic stresses [43]. In addition, the exogenous application of MeJA in A. thaliana confers basal thermo-tolerance and protection against heat shock [44]. Triazoles (Tr), as plant growth regulators, protect plants from several abiotic stresses, e.g., thermal stress and water-deficient stress [45]. The mechanism underlying the role of triazoles in stress protection involves hormonal changes, including cytokinin augmentation, increased ABA and reduced ethylene [46, 47].

Different combinations of plant growth regulators were exogenously applied three times at 30, 35, and 40 days after emergence (DAE) to enable thorough coverage prior to imposing heat stress. The different PGR treatments were (1) vitamin C + vitamin E + methyl jasmonates + brassinosteroids (Vc+Ve+MeJA+Br), (2) brassinosteroids + triazoles + methyl jasmonates (Br+Tr+MeJA), (3) vitamin C + vitamin E (Vc+Ve), (4) methyl jasmonates (MeJA), and (5) nothing applied control (NAC). Vc, Ve, MeJA, Br and Tr were applied at rates of 1.4, 6.9, 1.8, 4.0 and 0.55 ppm solution, accordingly in the respective treatments. Vc was dissolved in de-ionized water, and Ve was dissolved in a small amount of ethyl alcohol; de-ionized water was further added to bring the solution to the desired volume.

The experiment included 7 treatments from some bio-stimulants as follows: Three different
concentrations of yeast extract (2, 3 and 4 g.L-1 ), chitosan extract (2, 4, 6 ml.L-1 ) and control were applied at 30, 45, 60 and 75 days from sowing date in both seasons. Tap water was sprayed to the control of plants. The experiment was designed in a complete randomized blocks (CRB) with three replicates.

Methyl jasmonate application enhanced the amount of ascorbic acid in Arabidopsis and tobacco suspension cells (Wolucka et al., 2005)

Recently, it was reported that JAs also play a role in physiological response of secretion of floral nectar (Figure 2). Radhika et al. (2010a) demonstrated that floral nectar secretion is controlled by JAs in Brassica species. Interestingly, a significant production of floral nectar was observed in the flowers of B. napus, when JA is exogenously sprayed to them.

There are some reports on positive effects of biostimulants application on medicinal plants.In growing the medicinal plants, it is vital to associate the biomass production to quality of the raw material. The application of biostimulants in the commercial production of medicinal plants is a viable management practice for the production of these species, increasing biomass production and enhancing secondary metabolites synthesis. Studies about the effect of plant biostimulants on the accumulation of secondary metabolites in medicinal plants have been conducted in order to increase the medicinal and trade values of these species [68]. The development of biostimulants may follow a classical ‘pharmacological’ approach, where candidate active substances or microorganisms are screened in controlled conditions and a stepwise procedure is followed for selecting promising candidates, moving from the laboratory to more realistic conditions.
Growth conditions are expected to alter the relative and absolute content of the hundreds of phytochemicals produced by Cannabis sativa L.; some of these possess biological activity on the human body. However, relatively little information exists regarding the effects of different light regimes on the composition of C. sativa secondary metabolites and thus on their biological activity. In this study, we investigated how light quality influences the production and final content of secondary metabolites, as well as their bioactive properties. Toward these, plant growth and blooming were carried out at different illumination conditions, utilizing light-emitting diode (LED) fixtures vs. conventional fluorescent and high-pressure sodium (HPS) lamps as controls. Inflorescences were sampled at different time points along the blooming; extract compositions were analyzed by HPLC and GC/MS, and the biological activity of the extracted material was assessed using cell viability assays. We found that growth and blooming under LED illumination considerably changed shoot architecture and inflorescence mass. Moreover, the content of cannabinoids, terpenes, and alkanes were altered in the inflorescences of LED-grown plants during the flowering period as well as in the harvested flowers. In particular, significantly higher quantities of cannabigerolic acid accumulated in the inflorescences that flowered under LED fixtures, with a cannabigerolic acid to Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (CBGA:THCA) ratio of 1:2 as opposed to 1:16 when grown under HPS. Notably, the cytotoxic activities of extracts derived from plants grown under the different illumination regimes were different, with extracts from LED-grown plants possessing higher cytotoxicity along the flowering stage. Our results thus indicate that the transition to indoor growth of C. sativa under LED lighting, which can have significant impacts on cannabinoid and terpene content, and also on the bioactive properties of the plant extracts, should proceed with thorough consideration.

Jasmonic acid (JA) is regarded as endogenous regulator that plays important roles in regulating stress responses, plant growth, and development. Salicylic acid (SA) has been identified as an important signaling element involved in establishing the local and systemic disease resistance response of plants after pathogen attack. A field experiment was conducted to assess the foliar applications effect of JA and SA on quantity and quality yields of essential oil of lemon balm (Melissa officinalis L.). Experimental treatments were: I) water foliar application; II) water + 1% ethanol foliar application (as a solvent); III-V) JA at 0.05–0.40 mg L−1; VI-IX) SA at 0.14–14.00 g L−1. notice micro-dosing

n the present research the effect of preharvest metyil jasmonate (MeJA) treatment on the ripening process and fruit quality parameters at harvest was evaluated, for the first time, in two table grape cultivars, ‘Magenta’ and ‘Crimson’, during two years, 2016 and 2017. MeJA treatments (applied when berry volume was ca. 40% of its final one, at veraison and 3 days before the first harvest date) affected grape ripening process and vine yield differently depending on applied concentration. Thus, MeJA at 5 and 10 mM delayed berry ripening and decreased berry weight and volume as well as vine yield, in a dose-dependent way, in both cultivars, although the effect on ‘Crimson’ was more dramatic than in ‘Magenta’. However, treatments with MeJA at 1, 0.1 and 0.01 mM accelerated ripening and increased total phenolics and individual anthocyanin concentrations, the major effects being obtained with 0.1 mM concentration. In addition, total soluble solids (TSS) and firmness levels were also increased by these MeJA treatments. These results might have a great agronomic and commercial importance since fruit with higher size and harvested earlier would reach higher prizes at markets and berries with higher firmness and TSS would be more appreciated by consumers. Moreover, MeJA treatments increased the content of antioxidant compounds, such as phenolics and individual anthocyanins, leading to enhance the homogeneous pigmentation of the whole cluster, with additional effects on increasing the health beneficial effects of grape consumption. Another case of less does more? And the timing of foliar treatments.

Two plum (Prunus salicina Lindl.) cultivars ‘Black Splendor’ (BS) and ‘Royal Rosa’ (RR) were treated with methyl jasmonate (MeJA) at 3 concentrations (0.5, 1.0 and 2.0 mM) along the on-tree fruit development: 63, 77 and 98 days after full blossom (DAFB). On a weekly basis, fruit samples were taken for measuring fruit size and weight and parameters related to quality. Results revealed that MeJA was effective in increasing fruit size and weight, the 0.5 mM being the most effective for BS cultivar and 2.0 mM for RR. At harvest, those fruit treated with 0.5 mM MeJA had the highest firmness and colour Hue values. notice different strains different results

Glutathione is a tripeptide involved in diverse aspects of plant metabolism. We investigated how the reduced form of glutathione, GSH, applied site-specifically to plants, affects zinc (Zn) distribution and behavior in oilseed rape plants (Brassica napus) cultured hydroponically. Foliar-applied GSH significantly increased the Zn content in shoots and the root-to-shoot Zn translocation ratio; furthermore, this treatment raised the Zn concentration in the cytosol of root cells and substantially enhanced Zn xylem loading. Notably, microarray analysis revealed that the gene encoding pectin methylesterase was upregulated in roots following foliar GSH treatment. We conclude that certain physiological signals triggered in response to foliar-applied GSH were transported via sieve tubes and functioned in root cells, which, in turn, increased Zn availability in roots by releasing Zn from their cell wall. Consequently, root-to-shoot translocation of Zn was activated and Zn accumulation in the shoot was markedly increased. Can foliar spray encourage other root to shoot translocation?

The Jazz (MeJA) study notes; Study after study is slowly building up my confidence we will be successful. Then, I can further explain the fun going on down in the garden. The ester treated cultivar shows no signs yet of diminished shade avoidance standing at attention after two weeks. The flowers are looking enriched, covered in long white and translucent pistillate hairs that make it real hard not to think of Tom Petty (RIP) back in the day. Culver City Cool Cat I says!

Exogenous MeJA application enhanced resistance to the pathogen, and SSH analyses led to the identification of 94 unigenes, presumably involved in a variety of functions, which were classified into several functional categories, including metabolism, signal transduction, protein biogenesis and degradation, and cell defense and rescue.

Foliar application of MeJA induced partial resistance against S. sclerotiorum in plants as well as a consistent increase in pathogenesis-related protein activities. Our findings provide new insights into the physiological and molecular mechanisms of resistance induced by MeJA in the P. vulgaris–S. sclerotiorum pathosystem.

New insights into the evolution of jasmonate signaling further suggest that opposing selective pressures associated with too much or too little defense may have shaped the emergence of a modular jasmonate pathway that integrates primary and specialized metabolism through the control of repressor-transcription factor complexes. A better understanding of the mechanistic basis of growth-defense balance has important implications for boosting plant productivity, including insights into how these tradeoffs may be uncoupled for agricultural improvement.
Jasmonates (JAs), the derivatives of lipids, act as vital signaling compounds in diverse plant stress responses and development. JAs are known to mediate defense responses against herbivores, necrotrophic pathogens, nematodes and other micro-organism besides alleviating abiotic stresses including UV-stress, osmotic stress, salt stress, cold stress, temperature stress, heavy metal stress, ozone stress etc. Jasmonate signaling does not work alone while mediating defense responses in plants but it functions in multifarious crosstalk network with other phytohormone signaling pathways such as auxin, gibberellic acid (GA), and salicylic acid. The present review gives the holistic approach about the role of jasmonates in counteracting the stress whether biotic or abiotic. Jasmonates regulate beneficial plant–microbe interactions, such as interactions with plant growth promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR) and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi.
Jasmonates (JAs), imperative signaling compounds and derivatives of fatty acid metabolism, play a substantial role in mediating a variety of defense responses in plants to overcome different types of stresses. Jasmonates, oxylipin compounds ubiquitous in the plant kingdom, besides regulating different aspects of plant growth and development, evoke and modulate several plant processes by involving diverse crosstalk signaling mechanisms with different hormones and nutrient elements under perturbed environmental conditions. Methyl jasmonate (MeJA) acts as a signaling molecule that is perceived by protein receptors involved in the stress responses leading to the induction of signal transduction cascades and activating different antioxidant proteins.

Jazz, good for wheat, wine, and weed.

The results showed that use of 100 μM methyl jasmonate increase growth period and a number of days until plant physiological maturity. Under drought stress conditions, the number of grains per spike, weight of one thousand seed, grain yield, and harvest index are decreased in every two years of experiment. Also, using 100 μM methyl jasmonate lead to increase these traits by 22.2, 14.4, 8.5, and 11.4%, respectively in Pishtaz cultivar, and 10.3, 10.7, 8.5, and 11.2%, respectively in the Sirvan cultivar compared to the control group. The highest water productivity at each of the three levels of irrigation was related to the concentration of 100 μM methyl jasmonate. According to the results, although drought stress reduced yield and its components, methyl jasmonate was able to compensate somewhat (10%) for the reduced yield due to drought stress. The irrigation cut off at the grain milking stage can be beneficial with increasing water productivity in managing this valuable resource. Also, the use of 100 μM jasmonate in these conditions is recommended as a practical way to increase tolerance to drought stress conditions and improve the growth and yield of wheat.”

“Over the last few years, considerable attention has been paid to the application of elicitors to vineyard. However, research about the effect of elicitors on grape amino acid content is scarce. Therefore, the aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of foliar application of methyl jasmonate on must amino acid content. Results revealed that total amino acid content was not modified by the application of methyl jasmonate. However, the individual content of certain amino acids was increased as consequence of methyl jasmonate foliar application, i.e., histidine, serine, tryptophan, phenylalanine, tyrosine, asparagine, methionine, and lysine. Among them, phenylalanine content was considerably increased; this amino acid is precursor of phenolic and aromatic compounds. In conclusion, foliar application of methyl jasmonate improved must nitrogen composition. This finding suggests that methyl jasmonate treatment might be conducive to obtain wines of higher quality since must amino acid composition could affect the wine volatile composition and the fermentation kinetics.”

Since these early days of JA research, there has been arapid increase in publications dealing with JA-related aspects (see re-view in[1]), preferentially in aspects of biosynthesis, accumulation andbiotechnological application of secondary compounds. Nearly all bio-synthetic pathways leading to secondary metabolites, such as antho-cyanins, nicotine, terpenoid indole alkaloids (TIA), glucosinolates (GS),benzophenanthridine alkaloids orflavonoids, were found to be inducedby applied JA or processes triggering an endogenous increase in JA.Pathway analysis was carried out by cloning involved genes, includinganalysis of the corresponding promoters, and studying regulatory as-pects, involved transcription factors (TFs), as well as cell and tissue-specificity . This research has been extensively reviewed, e.g.,[4–7]including aspects of jasmonates[8–11] or synthetic biology[12].In the following text, we briefly review the formation of a fewsecondary metabolites, such as anthocyanin, nicotine, TIA, artemisininand GS, with an emphasis on the role of JA, describe the TFs involvedand discuss some applied aspects using artemisinin as an example.Secondary metabolites are formed using primary metabolites asbuilding blocks. Thus, the role of JA is discussed in terms of (i) JAperception and the core signaling complex, (ii) its role in reprogram-ming primary metabolism, and (iii) its role in the synthesis of secondarymetabolites. Usually, these signaling cascades occur in a tissue- andcell-specific manner because some secondary metabolites are formedexclusively in specialized cells, such as trichomes, or under specificconditions of growth in cell suspension cultures. The following reviewwill be a brief overview for some JA-inducible secondary compounds.Owing to space limitations, only key references are included in thisbrief

Now if your mouth is dry after that read don't blame your smoke. :love:
Some smart folks out there.

Ahoy there!
I remain convinced we can imitate the environmental stress equivalent to that of an actual drought via the combination of rising ABA levels in the root zone and a single foliar application of MeJA.

The sad truth is the market for ABA and MeJA are put out of reach to private researchers and gardeners. The folks that do have these phytohormones available for sale are not allowed to sell it to us. Even when they want to. shitz

You might wonder why we would think tinkering with hormones could ever overcome the paraquat blues. ABA and JA are not paraquat for starters. Cannabis plants synthesize ABA and JA naturally. When we exogenously supplement the cultivars with these two hormones, we are simply adding to what the plant naturally produces.

I am working on ideas to get around some of the regulations. update soon :hookah:
Regulations Smegulations!
Now if your mouth is dry after that read don't blame your smoke. :love:
Some smart folks out there.
No bullogna there!

some research notes
JA Notes

"Esterification is the general name for a chemical reaction in which two reactants (typically an alcohol and an acid) form an ester as the reaction product. Esters are common in organic chemistry and biological materials, and often have a pleasant characteristic, fruity odor. This leads to their extensive use in the fragrance and flavor industry."

. Abscisic acid (ABA), ethylene, an d jasmonates (JAs) ar e involved i n th e ability o f a plant to cope with biotic o r abiotic stresses. This redundancy i s a hallmark o f plant development, although i t i s no t clear whether i t i s real o r only apparent, i.e., tw o hormones regulate closely related bu t different aspects o f th e same process. Plant hormones also regulate some activities that ar e specific t o each hormone. Fo r instance, patterning i n embryo development an d polar phenomena such a s apical dominance, vascular differentiation, an d tropic growth under th e influence o f light o r gravity are principally regulated b y th e endogenous auxin, indoleacetic acid o r lAA; mobilization of seed food reserves i n cereal grains i s specific t o GAs; see d dormancy i s induced by ABA; fruit ripening i s associated with ethylene; an d JAs ar e uniquely involved in th e deposition o f vegetative storage proteins. The chapters i n Section II I o f this book reflect th e apparent redundancy and uniqueness of hormone action. They also show that even relatively simple processes. Plant hormones also regulate some activities that ar e specific t o each hormone. Fo r instance, patterning i n embryo development an d polar phenomena such a s apical dominance, vascular differentiation, an d tropic growth under th e influence o f light o r gravity are principally regulated b y th e endogenous auxin, indoleacetic acid o r lAA; mobilization of seed food reserves i n cereal grains i s specific t o GAs; see d dormancy i s induced by ABA; fruit ripening i s associated with ethylene; an d JAs ar e uniquely involved in th e deposition o f vegetative storage proteins.

The chapters i n Section II I o f this book reflect th e apparent redundancy and uniqueness of hormone action. They also show that even relatively simple processes. such as apical dominance o r production o f lateral roots, involve a n interaction o f tw o o r more hormones an d their relative levels, which ar e affected b y environmental and/or developmental cues. Such interaction i s often antagonistic, as , fo r example, lA A and C K interaction in lateral root formation, although i t i s no t clear whether such antagonism i s used for regulation o f th e process i n nature. Synergistic interaction also occurs, e.g., fo r ethylene and J A i n induction o f some genes i n plant defense against pathogens. Finally, several hormones may ac t i n concert, on e after another, t o regulate a sequence o f developmental events. Fo r example, fruit se t may b e regulated b y lAA, fruit growth by GA, fruit ripening b y ethylene, an d seed maturation an d dormancy b y ABA. Because of these interactions among homones and between hormones and environmental factors, the extent o f which we have only recently begun t o appreciate, a n understanding of plant
hormonal response i s a complex and difficult fabric t o unentangle.

Fruit an d seed development and seed germination, covered i n Chapters 17, IS, and 19 , ar e growth-related processes in which CKs, lAA, an d GAs play important although still little understood roles, whereas fruit ripening an d seed maturation and dormancy ar e culminating phases o f growth, akin t o senescence, an d ar e regulated b y ethylene, ABA, an d possibly J As.
Thimann, K. V . (1997). "Hormone Action i n th e Whole Life o f Plants." Th e University o f Massachusetts Press, Amherst.

methyl jasmonate
To study the role of methyl jasmonate in mango fruit ripening and biosynthesis of aroma volatiles, one lot of green mature preclimacteric ‘Kensington Pride’ mangoes was ripened under ambient conditions (21 ± 1°C). The changes in endogenous levels of methyl jasmonate in the pulp during ripening were investigated. Another lot of green mature preclimacteric fruit was treated with methyl jasmonate vapour at different concentrations (0, 10–3M, 10–4M and 10–5M) for 12 h to study the role of methyl jasmonate on biosynthesis of aroma volatile compounds in the fruit. Following methyl jasmonate treatments, the fruit were then allowed to ripen under ambient conditions (21 ± 1°C). Only trans-methyl jasmonate was identified from the pulp of ‘Kensington Pride’ mango. Concentration of trans-methyl jasmonate in the pulp was higher at harvest day (123.67 ng g–1) and decreased as the ripening progressed at the ripe stage (0.14 ng g–1). Methyl jasmonate treatments increased ethylene production at the climacteric stage and was more pronounced at a higher concentration (10–3M) of applied methyl jasmonate. Skin colour of ripe fruit was significantly improved with exogenous application of methyl jasmonate (10–3M). Methyl jasmonate treatments also increased the concentration of fatty acids as well as total aroma volatiles, monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, aromatics, norisoprenoid, alcohols and esters in the pulp of fruit. However, exogenous application of methyl jasmonate tended to reduce production of n-tetradecane, especially on day 5 and 7 of ripening. In general, exogenous application of methyl jasmonate (10–3M) significantly promoted biosynthesis of ethylene, fatty acids and ripening and aroma volatile compounds during fruit ripening. Our experimental results suggest that methyl jasmonte is involved in early steps in the modulation of mango fruit ripening.

Methyl Jasmonate study notes;
In contrast, JA/MJ also has enhanced induction/promotion of leaf senescence and petiole abscission, fruit ripening, chlorophyll degradation, carotenoid biosynthesis, tuber formation, and protein synthesis
A substantial number of drought effects on plants can be mimicked by external application of abscisic acid (Davies et al. 1986). Jasmonates are biologically similar to abscisic acid and, when exogenously applied to plants, elicit a great variety of morphological and physiological responses to stress.
A 500 mM stock solution of methyl jasmonate (M J) (Aldrich Chemical Company, Inc., Milwaukee, WI) was made by our diluting 0.115 mL of methyl jasmonate in 100% ethanol to a final volume of 1 mL (M J/ethanol, 1:9 vol/vol) according to Franceschi and Grimes (1991)
salicylic acid (SA) and methyl jasmonate (MeJA). Foliar sprays with 1 ml SA 1 mM and 1 ml MeJA 100 μM was conducted on 20-day-old wheat

I came across a bunch of documented experiments using foliar sprays to deliver phytohormones to a variety of crops, but not cannabis. Again, we will simply extrapolate methods and protocols as they suit our needs from documented scientific studies.
For example;
“A benzyladenine based plant growth regulator (PGR) named Configure (Fine Americas, Walnut Creek, CA) was applied to 2 cultivars of Sempervivum and 1 species of Echeveria. Applications were made as a single foliar spray applied 3 weeks after potting (WAP) in concentrations of 50, 100, 200, 400 mg.l-1. The number of offsets produced by the plants were counted at 10 WAP. The number of offsets produced by the parent plants increased with the concentration of Configure”

I will note the following bits of useful info. Only a single application was used. The PGR was applied in concentrations involving mg per liter. PGR was applied after 3 weeks after planting.

MEJA

Foliar MeJA application 4 days prior to harvest of broccoli at commercial maturity resulted in enhanced total GS concentrations. Although a single application of 250 µmol L−1 MeJA maximized GS concentrations in broccoli florets, two days of consecutive treatments (4 and 3 days prior to harvest) of 250 µmol L−1 MeJA further enhanced neoglucobrassicin concentrations and floret extract quinone reductase (QR)‐inducing activity. With increasing concentrations of MeJA in spray applications to broccoli florets, concentrations of the glucosinolates glucoraphanin, gluconasturtiin and neoglucobrassicin and the isothiocyanate sulforaphane as well as anticancer and anti‐inflammatory bioactivities as measured by QR induction and inhibition of nitric oxide (NO) production respectively were significantly increased. Concentrations of these phytochemicals showed strong positive correlations with QR‐inducing and NO‐inhibitory activities.

Exogenous jasmonate application has also been shown to reduce chilling injury (Gonzalez-Aguilar et al., 2003) and enhance accumulation of several classes of secondary compounds (as reviewed by Memelink et al., 2001).

Jasmonates [Methyl jasmonate+ jasmonic acid] are crucial cellular regulators that are involved in several plant developmental processes, including seed germination, callus growth, primary root growth, flowering, gum and bulb formation, and senescence [41, 42,]. Jasmonates stimulate plant defense responses to a variety of biotic and abiotic stresses [43]. In addition, the exogenous application of MeJA in A. thaliana confers basal thermo-tolerance and protection against heat shock [44]. Triazoles (Tr), as plant growth regulators, protect plants from several abiotic stresses, e.g., thermal stress and water-deficient stress [45]. The mechanism underlying the role of triazoles in stress protection involves hormonal changes, including cytokinin augmentation, increased ABA and reduced ethylene [46, 47].

Different combinations of plant growth regulators were exogenously applied three times at 30, 35, and 40 days after emergence (DAE) to enable thorough coverage prior to imposing heat stress. The different PGR treatments were (1) vitamin C + vitamin E + methyl jasmonates + brassinosteroids (Vc+Ve+MeJA+Br), (2) brassinosteroids + triazoles + methyl jasmonates (Br+Tr+MeJA), (3) vitamin C + vitamin E (Vc+Ve), (4) methyl jasmonates (MeJA), and (5) nothing applied control (NAC). Vc, Ve, MeJA, Br and Tr were applied at rates of 1.4, 6.9, 1.8, 4.0 and 0.55 ppm solution, accordingly in the respective treatments. Vc was dissolved in de-ionized water, and Ve was dissolved in a small amount of ethyl alcohol; de-ionized water was further added to bring the solution to the desired volume.

The experiment included 7 treatments from some bio-stimulants as follows: Three different
concentrations of yeast extract (2, 3 and 4 g.L-1 ), chitosan extract (2, 4, 6 ml.L-1 ) and control were applied at 30, 45, 60 and 75 days from sowing date in both seasons. Tap water was sprayed to the control of plants. The experiment was designed in a complete randomized blocks (CRB) with three replicates.

Methyl jasmonate application enhanced the amount of ascorbic acid in Arabidopsis and tobacco suspension cells (Wolucka et al., 2005)

Recently, it was reported that JAs also play a role in physiological response of secretion of floral nectar (Figure 2). Radhika et al. (2010a) demonstrated that floral nectar secretion is controlled by JAs in Brassica species. Interestingly, a significant production of floral nectar was observed in the flowers of B. napus, when JA is exogenously sprayed to them.

There are some reports on positive effects of biostimulants application on medicinal plants.In growing the medicinal plants, it is vital to associate the biomass production to quality of the raw material. The application of biostimulants in the commercial production of medicinal plants is a viable management practice for the production of these species, increasing biomass production and enhancing secondary metabolites synthesis. Studies about the effect of plant biostimulants on the accumulation of secondary metabolites in medicinal plants have been conducted in order to increase the medicinal and trade values of these species [68]. The development of biostimulants may follow a classical ‘pharmacological’ approach, where candidate active substances or microorganisms are screened in controlled conditions and a stepwise procedure is followed for selecting promising candidates, moving from the laboratory to more realistic conditions.
Growth conditions are expected to alter the relative and absolute content of the hundreds of phytochemicals produced by Cannabis sativa L.; some of these possess biological activity on the human body. However, relatively little information exists regarding the effects of different light regimes on the composition of C. sativa secondary metabolites and thus on their biological activity. In this study, we investigated how light quality influences the production and final content of secondary metabolites, as well as their bioactive properties. Toward these, plant growth and blooming were carried out at different illumination conditions, utilizing light-emitting diode (LED) fixtures vs. conventional fluorescent and high-pressure sodium (HPS) lamps as controls. Inflorescences were sampled at different time points along the blooming; extract compositions were analyzed by HPLC and GC/MS, and the biological activity of the extracted material was assessed using cell viability assays. We found that growth and blooming under LED illumination considerably changed shoot architecture and inflorescence mass. Moreover, the content of cannabinoids, terpenes, and alkanes were altered in the inflorescences of LED-grown plants during the flowering period as well as in the harvested flowers. In particular, significantly higher quantities of cannabigerolic acid accumulated in the inflorescences that flowered under LED fixtures, with a cannabigerolic acid to Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (CBGA:THCA) ratio of 1:2 as opposed to 1:16 when grown under HPS. Notably, the cytotoxic activities of extracts derived from plants grown under the different illumination regimes were different, with extracts from LED-grown plants possessing higher cytotoxicity along the flowering stage. Our results thus indicate that the transition to indoor growth of C. sativa under LED lighting, which can have significant impacts on cannabinoid and terpene content, and also on the bioactive properties of the plant extracts, should proceed with thorough consideration.

Jasmonic acid (JA) is regarded as endogenous regulator that plays important roles in regulating stress responses, plant growth, and development. Salicylic acid (SA) has been identified as an important signaling element involved in establishing the local and systemic disease resistance response of plants after pathogen attack. A field experiment was conducted to assess the foliar applications effect of JA and SA on quantity and quality yields of essential oil of lemon balm (Melissa officinalis L.). Experimental treatments were: I) water foliar application; II) water + 1% ethanol foliar application (as a solvent); III-V) JA at 0.05–0.40 mg L−1; VI-IX) SA at 0.14–14.00 g L−1. notice micro-dosing

n the present research the effect of preharvest metyil jasmonate (MeJA) treatment on the ripening process and fruit quality parameters at harvest was evaluated, for the first time, in two table grape cultivars, ‘Magenta’ and ‘Crimson’, during two years, 2016 and 2017. MeJA treatments (applied when berry volume was ca. 40% of its final one, at veraison and 3 days before the first harvest date) affected grape ripening process and vine yield differently depending on applied concentration. Thus, MeJA at 5 and 10 mM delayed berry ripening and decreased berry weight and volume as well as vine yield, in a dose-dependent way, in both cultivars, although the effect on ‘Crimson’ was more dramatic than in ‘Magenta’. However, treatments with MeJA at 1, 0.1 and 0.01 mM accelerated ripening and increased total phenolics and individual anthocyanin concentrations, the major effects being obtained with 0.1 mM concentration. In addition, total soluble solids (TSS) and firmness levels were also increased by these MeJA treatments. These results might have a great agronomic and commercial importance since fruit with higher size and harvested earlier would reach higher prizes at markets and berries with higher firmness and TSS would be more appreciated by consumers. Moreover, MeJA treatments increased the content of antioxidant compounds, such as phenolics and individual anthocyanins, leading to enhance the homogeneous pigmentation of the whole cluster, with additional effects on increasing the health beneficial effects of grape consumption. Another case of less does more? And the timing of foliar treatments.

Two plum (Prunus salicina Lindl.) cultivars ‘Black Splendor’ (BS) and ‘Royal Rosa’ (RR) were treated with methyl jasmonate (MeJA) at 3 concentrations (0.5, 1.0 and 2.0 mM) along the on-tree fruit development: 63, 77 and 98 days after full blossom (DAFB). On a weekly basis, fruit samples were taken for measuring fruit size and weight and parameters related to quality. Results revealed that MeJA was effective in increasing fruit size and weight, the 0.5 mM being the most effective for BS cultivar and 2.0 mM for RR. At harvest, those fruit treated with 0.5 mM MeJA had the highest firmness and colour Hue values. notice different strains different results

Glutathione is a tripeptide involved in diverse aspects of plant metabolism. We investigated how the reduced form of glutathione, GSH, applied site-specifically to plants, affects zinc (Zn) distribution and behavior in oilseed rape plants (Brassica napus) cultured hydroponically. Foliar-applied GSH significantly increased the Zn content in shoots and the root-to-shoot Zn translocation ratio; furthermore, this treatment raised the Zn concentration in the cytosol of root cells and substantially enhanced Zn xylem loading. Notably, microarray analysis revealed that the gene encoding pectin methylesterase was upregulated in roots following foliar GSH treatment. We conclude that certain physiological signals triggered in response to foliar-applied GSH were transported via sieve tubes and functioned in root cells, which, in turn, increased Zn availability in roots by releasing Zn from their cell wall. Consequently, root-to-shoot translocation of Zn was activated and Zn accumulation in the shoot was markedly increased. Can foliar spray encourage other root to shoot translocation?

The Jazz (MeJA) study notes; Study after study is slowly building up my confidence we will be successful. Then, I can further explain the fun going on down in the garden. The ester treated cultivar shows no signs yet of diminished shade avoidance standing at attention after two weeks. The flowers are looking enriched, covered in long white and translucent pistillate hairs that make it real hard not to think of Tom Petty (RIP) back in the day. Culver City Cool Cat I says!

Exogenous MeJA application enhanced resistance to the pathogen, and SSH analyses led to the identification of 94 unigenes, presumably involved in a variety of functions, which were classified into several functional categories, including metabolism, signal transduction, protein biogenesis and degradation, and cell defense and rescue.

Foliar application of MeJA induced partial resistance against S. sclerotiorum in plants as well as a consistent increase in pathogenesis-related protein activities. Our findings provide new insights into the physiological and molecular mechanisms of resistance induced by MeJA in the P. vulgaris–S. sclerotiorum pathosystem.

New insights into the evolution of jasmonate signaling further suggest that opposing selective pressures associated with too much or too little defense may have shaped the emergence of a modular jasmonate pathway that integrates primary and specialized metabolism through the control of repressor-transcription factor complexes. A better understanding of the mechanistic basis of growth-defense balance has important implications for boosting plant productivity, including insights into how these tradeoffs may be uncoupled for agricultural improvement.
Jasmonates (JAs), the derivatives of lipids, act as vital signaling compounds in diverse plant stress responses and development. JAs are known to mediate defense responses against herbivores, necrotrophic pathogens, nematodes and other micro-organism besides alleviating abiotic stresses including UV-stress, osmotic stress, salt stress, cold stress, temperature stress, heavy metal stress, ozone stress etc. Jasmonate signaling does not work alone while mediating defense responses in plants but it functions in multifarious crosstalk network with other phytohormone signaling pathways such as auxin, gibberellic acid (GA), and salicylic acid. The present review gives the holistic approach about the role of jasmonates in counteracting the stress whether biotic or abiotic. Jasmonates regulate beneficial plant–microbe interactions, such as interactions with plant growth promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR) and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi.
Jasmonates (JAs), imperative signaling compounds and derivatives of fatty acid metabolism, play a substantial role in mediating a variety of defense responses in plants to overcome different types of stresses. Jasmonates, oxylipin compounds ubiquitous in the plant kingdom, besides regulating different aspects of plant growth and development, evoke and modulate several plant processes by involving diverse crosstalk signaling mechanisms with different hormones and nutrient elements under perturbed environmental conditions. Methyl jasmonate (MeJA) acts as a signaling molecule that is perceived by protein receptors involved in the stress responses leading to the induction of signal transduction cascades and activating different antioxidant proteins.

Jazz, good for wheat, wine, and weed.

The results showed that use of 100 μM methyl jasmonate increase growth period and a number of days until plant physiological maturity. Under drought stress conditions, the number of grains per spike, weight of one thousand seed, grain yield, and harvest index are decreased in every two years of experiment. Also, using 100 μM methyl jasmonate lead to increase these traits by 22.2, 14.4, 8.5, and 11.4%, respectively in Pishtaz cultivar, and 10.3, 10.7, 8.5, and 11.2%, respectively in the Sirvan cultivar compared to the control group. The highest water productivity at each of the three levels of irrigation was related to the concentration of 100 μM methyl jasmonate. According to the results, although drought stress reduced yield and its components, methyl jasmonate was able to compensate somewhat (10%) for the reduced yield due to drought stress. The irrigation cut off at the grain milking stage can be beneficial with increasing water productivity in managing this valuable resource. Also, the use of 100 μM jasmonate in these conditions is recommended as a practical way to increase tolerance to drought stress conditions and improve the growth and yield of wheat.”

“Over the last few years, considerable attention has been paid to the application of elicitors to vineyard. However, research about the effect of elicitors on grape amino acid content is scarce. Therefore, the aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of foliar application of methyl jasmonate on must amino acid content. Results revealed that total amino acid content was not modified by the application of methyl jasmonate. However, the individual content of certain amino acids was increased as consequence of methyl jasmonate foliar application, i.e., histidine, serine, tryptophan, phenylalanine, tyrosine, asparagine, methionine, and lysine. Among them, phenylalanine content was considerably increased; this amino acid is precursor of phenolic and aromatic compounds. In conclusion, foliar application of methyl jasmonate improved must nitrogen composition. This finding suggests that methyl jasmonate treatment might be conducive to obtain wines of higher quality since must amino acid composition could affect the wine volatile composition and the fermentation kinetics.”

Since these early days of JA research, there has been arapid increase in publications dealing with JA-related aspects (see re-view in[1]), preferentially in aspects of biosynthesis, accumulation andbiotechnological application of secondary compounds. Nearly all bio-synthetic pathways leading to secondary metabolites, such as antho-cyanins, nicotine, terpenoid indole alkaloids (TIA), glucosinolates (GS),benzophenanthridine alkaloids orflavonoids, were found to be inducedby applied JA or processes triggering an endogenous increase in JA.Pathway analysis was carried out by cloning involved genes, includinganalysis of the corresponding promoters, and studying regulatory as-pects, involved transcription factors (TFs), as well as cell and tissue-specificity . This research has been extensively reviewed, e.g.,[4–7]including aspects of jasmonates[8–11] or synthetic biology[12].In the following text, we briefly review the formation of a fewsecondary metabolites, such as anthocyanin, nicotine, TIA, artemisininand GS, with an emphasis on the role of JA, describe the TFs involvedand discuss some applied aspects using artemisinin as an example.Secondary metabolites are formed using primary metabolites asbuilding blocks. Thus, the role of JA is discussed in terms of (i) JAperception and the core signaling complex, (ii) its role in reprogram-ming primary metabolism, and (iii) its role in the synthesis of secondarymetabolites. Usually, these signaling cascades occur in a tissue- andcell-specific manner because some secondary metabolites are formedexclusively in specialized cells, such as trichomes, or under specificconditions of growth in cell suspension cultures. The following reviewwill be a brief overview for some JA-inducible secondary compounds.Owing to space limitations, only key references are included in thisbrief
This is certainly the long winded version of my scribble scrabble notes I took on the mango ripening experiment and then some! How long did it take you to type this up cause I need about double that time to take more notes!!! Thank you for your time last night, your unmatched insight and letting me see those beautiful colas as long as a monkey's dangling arm!

Ahoy @Nine Toed Hippie
How serious are you about recovering your lost strain. Tinkering with the idea of a blend of my brass stocks and a separate vial containing a few ml of 100 ppm meja. The meja soak for 48 hours followed by waterboarding with the brass is our best approach.

When the weather breaks a bit, I will make all the arrangements. As a graft of stratification, go ahead and freeze a seed or two in advance. The deep freeze stratification will possibly reset the germination sequencing. :peace:

In all seriousness, the way I hear it the CBD will counter effect the THC. Is that correct? Why on earth would we make this a Hybrid? Say the smoke sits around 20% THC then we breed in a 7% CBD. Dont we end up with a 13%THC smoke with no CBD to speak of? Wouldn't pure CBD smoke for pain work best alone? I bet I am not the only person wanting the answers. Please fill me in as much as you can and yes I must buzz @InTheShed and the crew.
@Maritimer ,

A few of us were having a discussion on CBD on another thread and I thought I would drop some of that info here in partial response to your questions. The following is some of what I have gleaned from my research.

Of the hundreds of cannabinoids found in various ratios in different strains, THC and CBD are by far the largest of any represented by quantity. They are typically found in more balanced proportions in 'old school' varieties but, because CBD doesn’t have a psychoactive effect and in fact dampens the effect of that of the THC molecule, CBD has been bred down significantly in many of the newer strains over the past few decades in favor of ramping up the THC levels. Although in the past few years CBD strains are making a strong comeback.

All animals, including humans, have an endocannabinoid system (ECS) to go along with their circulatory, pulmonary, nervous, etc. systems, and I find it incredible that doctors are taught nothing of it in med school. This system includes various receptors that operate like a 'lock and key' mechanism. The THC, CBD, CBG and its other molecules fit into these receptors like a key and unlock their homeostasis properties. That's the true nature of this system. It is there to keep the rest of your other systems in balance. That's why the same cannabinoids can help lower blood pressure in some while raising it in others. It's not directly doing either, but rather helping bring the original system back into balance.

The THC receptors are mostly found on the nervous system and this molecule is one of the only one of the hundreds that gets you high when heated and works best for nerve pain, especially chronic pain, and anxiety, ptsd, and stress issues. Basically, mostly non-organ functions.

Interestingly, the brain stem does not contain any, or at least any significant, amount of cannabinnoid receptors. This seems to be the reason that there has never been a cannabinoid overdose death in the history of mankind. There are, however, receptors for opioids and other drugs. And since the brain stem controls automatic bodily functions like breathing, if opioids suppress the brain stem, they can shut down your breathing and lead to death. (How's that for an interesting factoid?)

Interestingly, the CBD molecule and the THC molecule have almost identical chemical makeups, just arranged in a slightly different configuration.

The CBD receptors are mostly found outside of the nervous system (liver, lungs, heart, etc) but not the brain which likely is the reason for its non-psychoactive effect. So, CBD is typically more effective for issues of the body outside of the nervous system, although it can help with pain if that pain is caused from inflammation. CBD is very good for inflammation, including brain inflammation found in alzheimers, parkinson's, etc.

Studies have shown that CBD and THC are much more effective when taken together because of what's known as the entourage effect. Doesn't have to be 50/50, but having some of each makes its healing power stronger. This was found in studies with kids with epilepsy. The thought was to eliminate any hint of THC and only use the other compounds. The meds that included small amounts of THC proved much more effective than those without.

Same is true for those that want the high and therefore gravitate to THC. But by adding small amounts of CBD, healing effects were markedly improved. CBD will offset some of the psychoactive effect of THC and in high enough ratios can effectively eliminate it, so if you like the high you'll want to moderate the amount of CBD. But, by adding them both, you'll get better effects than either stand alone.

To me, the best way to harness the respective powers of the two molecules is to grow two different strains, one high in THC and low in CBD, and the second with the opposite characteristics. Once harvested, one can mix and match in whatever ratio is desired, and it's maybe best made into oils or tinctures mixed together in varying ratios.

@Maritimer ,

A few of us were having a discussion on CBD on another thread and I thought I would drop some of that info here in partial response to your questions. The following is some of what I have gleaned from my research.

Of the hundreds of cannabinoids found in various ratios in different strains, THC and CBD are by far the largest of any represented by quantity. They are typically found in more balanced proportions in 'old school' varieties but, because CBD doesn’t have a psychoactive effect and in fact dampens the effect of that of the THC molecule, CBD has been bred down significantly in many of the newer strains over the past few decades in favor of ramping up the THC levels. Although in the past few years CBD strains are making a strong comeback.

All animals, including humans, have an endocannabinoid system (ECS) to go along with their circulatory, pulmonary, nervous, etc. systems, and I find it incredible that doctors are taught nothing of it in med school. This system includes various receptors that operate like a 'lock and key' mechanism. The THC, CBD, CBG and its other molecules fit into these receptors like a key and unlock their homeostasis properties. That's the true nature of this system. It is there to keep the rest of your other systems in balance. That's why the same cannabinoids can help lower blood pressure in some while raising it in others. It's not directly doing either, but rather helping bring the original system back into balance.

The THC receptors are mostly found on the nervous system and this molecule is one of the only one of the hundreds that gets you high when heated and works best for nerve pain and anxiety, ptsd, and stress issues. Basically, mostly non-organ functions.

Interestingly, the brain stem does not contain any, or at least any significant, amount of cannabinnoid receptors. This seems to be the reason that there has never been a cannabinoid overdose death in the history of mankind. There are, however, receptors for opioids and other drugs. And since the brain stem controls automatic bodily functions like breathing, if opioids suppress the brain stem, they can shut down your breathing and lead to death. (How's that for an interesting factoid?)

Interestingly, the CBD molecule and the THC molecule have almost identical chemical makeups, just arranged in a slightly different configuration.

The CBD receptors are mostly found outside of the nervous system (liver, lungs, heart, etc) but not the brain which likely is the reason for its non-psychoactive effect. So, CBD is typically more effective for issues of the body outside of the nervous system, although it can help with pain if that pain is caused from inflammation. CBD is very good for inflammation, including that found in alzheimers, parkinson's, etc.

Studies have shown that CBD and THC are much more effective when taken together because of what's known as the entourage effect. Doesn't have to be 50/50, but having some of each makes its healing power stronger. This was found in studies with kids with epilepsy. The thought was to eliminate any hint of THC and only use the other compounds. The meds that included small amounts of THC proved much more effective than those without.

Same is true for those that want the high and therefore gravitate to THC. But by adding small amounts of CBD, healing effects were markedly improved. CBD will offset the psychoactive effect of THC and in large enough ratios can effectively eliminate it, so if you like the high you'll want to moderate the amount of CBD. But, by adding them both, you'll get better effects than either stand alone.

To me, the best way to harness the respective powers of the two molecules is to grow two plants, one high in THC and low in CBD, and the second with the opposite characteristics. Once harvested, one can mix and match in whatever ratio is desired, and it's maybe best made into oils or tinctures.
That's the best description I've seen yet Azi! Thanks!

@Maritimer ,

The THC receptors are mostly found on the nervous system and this molecule is one of the only one of the hundreds that gets you high when heated and works best for nerve pain and anxiety, ptsd, and stress issues. Basically, mostly non-organ functions.

The CBD receptors are mostly found outside of the nervous system (liver, lungs, heart, etc) but not the brain which likely is the reason for its non-psychoactive effect. So, CBD is typically more effective for issues of the body outside of the nervous system, although it can help with pain if that pain is caused from inflammation. CBD is very good for inflammation, including that found in alzheimers, parkinson's, etc.

Same is true for those that want the high and therefore gravitate to THC. But by adding small amounts of CBD, healing effects were markedly improved. CBD will offset the psychoactive effect of THC and in large enough ratios can effectively eliminate it, so if you like the high you'll want to moderate the amount of CBD. But, by adding them both, you'll get better effects than either stand alone.

To me, the best way to harness the respective powers of the two molecules is to grow two plants, one high in THC and low in CBD, and the second with the opposite characteristics. Once harvested, one can mix and match in whatever ratio is desired, and it's maybe best made into oils or tinctures.
Thanks for sharing that @Azimuth!

@Maritimer ,

To me, the best way to harness the respective powers of the two molecules is to grow two different strains, one high in THC and low in CBD, and the second with the opposite characteristics. Once harvested, one can mix and match in whatever ratio is desired, and it's maybe best made into oils or tinctures.
Aye, the crafting of cannabis blends. In the Marines we called them "salads" wherein our goal was to take some good smoke and mix it with some bunk to get a pile of "smokable salad". Same principals, different objective back then. It was only about the high when I was young.
That has changed.
Thanks

About your substrate crafting?
when you have a minute :love:

One more thing regarding the compounds. The live cannabis plant does not actually contain any THC, or CBD, or any of the other widely known compounds. Instead, they are found in an acidic form in the plant tissues, and most concentrated in the female flowers, and especially the unfertilized female flowers, what is known as sensimilla (which I think is actually Spanish for 'without seed').

Instead, in the raw plant we find THC-A, CBD-A, etc. It is only when these compounds are dried over time or heated do those compounds convert to their decarboxylated versions of THC, CBD, etc.

The acidic versions of these compounds have as much or more of the same healing power as the heated versions, but because of the lack of psychoactive effect, the body can handle much larger doses at one time. According to Dr. William Courtney, some of the more valuable compounds for healing when incinerated lose some of their power which is why he advocates juicing the raw leaves and flowers and treating this as a daily dietary supplement.

His research is why I use most of my harvest in the form of chopped up raw flower steeped in fresh olive oil and put on my daily salad. Maybe something for others to try that find vaped or smoked cannabis helpful but not quite getting the full job done.

Food for thought (literally).

Back
Top Bottom