First Time Grower! - Bubba Kush! - Advice Appreciated!

Anyone experience crazy roots popping out of a SmartPot?

IMG_20160606_204546.jpg

I was moving the pots to fit my new lights and noticed the roots of my biggest plant punching through the SmartPot. Any ideas what my next steps should be? I thought 3 gallon pots would be enough. If I up-pot how do I get the roots off?

Bubba Kush apparently LOVES ProMix HP and SmartPots. Roots Gone Wild!

i would slice the outside of the fabric pot softly were it doesnt cut through all the way so you can slowly tear it down and when you get to a root try to pull it out the fabric slowly with without damaging it if possible... just an idea i thought of, figured id share it
i use 5 gal fabric pots on week 7 flower and none of my plants have done that but ever strain and grow is different

MP should be along to clarify but jae had a decent method to it or maybe since that pot doesnt seem to slow that plants roots, just plop the whole thing into a larger pot and fill it up the rest of the way with soil then cut the roots out of it after harvest.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I think that's my two options. Slice the pot, or leave it. I'm airing on the latter side as I'm concerned I may damage the plant (knowing me), but it is hearty. I noticed another plant is starting to do the same thing. Go Bubba!

Will see what the Major says.

Wish I could give you guys a clone of this girl.

The only time I've seen roots go thru a softpot is when the pot was buried, but I know it happens. It is usually because the pots is left damp and there is little light. Otherwise the roots air prune themselves. I've never had to up-pot a plant in a smart pot. I use hard pots until the final size. The only root scoring I do is after the plant is out of its small pot and going into the bigger one. Even if you shave/slice the roots from the outside, I think it will be difficult to remove the plant. I do think it could be done - but a bit of a b!$%h. If you can afford to cut the pot, that would make it easier to peel it away.

I have buried a softpot and the roots keep on growing. They don't develop as fully as the root ball inside, but it might work as a compromise solution. Personally, I'd shave the roots off from the outside and cut the pot off - if needed.

The only time I've seen roots go thru a softpot is when the pot was buried, but I know it happens. It is usually because the pots is left damp and there is little light. Otherwise the roots air prune themselves. I've never had to up-pot a plant in a smart pot. I use hard pots until the final size. The only root scoring I do is after the plant is out of its small pot and going into the bigger one. Even if you shave/slice the roots from the outside, I think it will be difficult to remove the plant. I do think it could be done - but a bit of a b!$%h. If you can afford to cut the pot, that would make it easier to peel it away.

I have buried a softpot and the roots keep on growing. They don't develop as fully as the root ball inside, but it might work as a compromise solution. Personally, I'd shave the roots off from the outside and cut the pot off - if needed.

Damn, Major. You're like a freakin' grow doctor. I've had all four plants under one 300 LED until last night. So you're right, the thing had little light.

Would it damage the plant if I left it as is? I could buy a couple 5 gallons, cut and up-pot as you all suggest. It would only be about $20. I'd spend the money to ensure a healthier plant, but if it can remain and grow as is I'd rather do that.

Thanks!

You can certainly grow it out in its current pot. Size and yield will probably suffer a little. Cutting roots is not a big deal to the plant when done correctly, IMO. I'd do that before leaving it, or just ripping things apart.

I meant to post above that I've heard other growers have success by rolling the softpot down from the top to bottom and slicing roots that have gone through from the inside. Slice/shave them from the outside and then as you roll the pot down, use a sharp knife to reach down the pot to cut them from the inside. I haven't done it, but it seems like a good technique - and it would save your pot for another grow.

You can certainly grow it out in its current pot. Size and yield will probably suffer a little. Cutting roots is not a big deal to the plant when done correctly, IMO. I'd do that before leaving it, or just ripping things apart.

I meant to post above that I've heard other growers have success by rolling the softpot down from the top to bottom and slicing roots that have gone through from the inside. Slice/shave them from the outside and then as you roll the pot down, use a sharp knife to reach down the pot to cut them from the inside. I haven't done it, but it seems like a good technique - and it would save your pot for another grow.

If it will hinder yield and growth a bit I will most probably pick up the 5 gallons. The plants are really loving the new mix and fabric pots, so I should honor that.

The rolling technique sounds like a good idea. Thanks for sharing!

Update. Ordered a couple 5 gall SmartPots. Notice the roots went down a bit after I gave the plant its own light. However, I lifted my smaller plants and there are roots coming through the bottom of those as well. Bubba Kush likes to really get a firm grip on things. 5 gal it will be.

Have an electrical question. I live in an old house and I'm concerned with the power I'm pulling. Haven't had any electrical problems; I just don't want to endanger the house with a fire. I'm running 3 x 300 LEDs. A 6" inline fan with filter and another fan for circulation. All are set to timers. No GFCI outlets are in the walls, but I bought three. Does anyone see a danger? Should I buy power strips or anything else?

Would love to hear your setup from an electrical setup. Maybe I'm over thinking things, but always best to grow safe.

Thanks!

Doesn't sound like an electrical overload as far as the grow equipment alone. Most older circuits are rated at 15 amps. You should de-value that to about 80% for long-term safe use = 12A. 300W LEDs are typically half that much for actual draw. If I am correct, that means the lights are only pulling about 4A. Add the fans and you are probably between 5-6A. You can read the labels on each device and add them up. As long as they total less than 1400 watts, you are good. The question then is, what else is on that circuit? Anything? Electric motors and heaters (especially) can be big power suckers.

-edit-
The above assumes good wiring and connectors (outlets, plugs) and no long extension cords.

Doesn't sound like an electrical overload as far as the grow equipment alone. Most older circuits are rated at 15 amps. You should de-value that to about 80% for long-term safe use = 12A. 300W LEDs are typically half that much for actual draw. If I am correct, that means the lights are only pulling about 4A. Add the fans and you are probably between 5-6A. You can read the labels on each device and add them up. As long as they total less than 1400 watts, you are good. The question then is, what else is on that circuit? Anything? Electric motors and heaters (especially) can be big power suckers.

-edit-
The above assumes good wiring and connectors (outlets, plugs) and no long extension cords.

Thanks for the info. The calculations are extremely helpful. I added the wattage and it comes to approx. 540 plus the little fan (not sure of it's output; not much). Amps will be distributed between two separate outlets. The only other items on this line are two ceiling lights, so I should be good. Thanks again.

Two outlets doesn't help if they are on the same circuit. Most residential circuits will have several outlets and switched lights on a single circuit - sometimes in different rooms. Your service panel may only have a dozen breakers, but the house could have 60+ outlets. The safest way to know what you have is to turn off the breaker for your grow room and see what else is on that circuit by plugging a known good lamp (or something) into any outlets in question. Probably overkill in this case. When wiring a house, they assume you won't use every outlet on a circuit all at the same time.

Two outlets doesn't help if they are on the same circuit. Most residential circuits will have several outlets and switched lights on a single circuit - sometimes in different rooms. Your service panel may only have a dozen breakers, but the house could have 60+ outlets. The safest way to know what you have is to turn off the breaker for your grow room and see what else is on that circuit by plugging a known good lamp (or something) into any outlets in question. Probably overkill in this case. When wiring a house, they assume you won't use every outlet on a circuit all at the same time.

Overkill is good in this situation. I'll do the test. Thanks.

Do you believe each light is 4 amps (so 12 amps total) or 3 lights together? I couldn't find the lights amp pull online. Will check the light itself when I'm home later. If each light is 4 amps, and the circuit is 15 amps, wouldn't I be pulling too much when I factor in the fan?

It should be 4 amps total for all three lights. This assumes the 300W LED's are actually pulling about 150 watts each. 150x3=450 watts. 450 watts at 115 volts = 3.9 amps.

Assembled the new tent with inline fan last night. One problem, the fan was way too big, heavy and powerful. It's the Apollo 6". Even on low this thing sucked in my tent walls (all vents were open). The filter was much bigger than expected and I'm afraid it would fall on the plants and it takes up a lot of space. So, I'm returning it and going with the 4". My tent is 48x32x60. My 4 plants fit very comfortably. I probably would've gotten an even smaller tent. But, good news is I can grow - I believe - up to 7 or 8 plants in the future.

I notice my fans list their actual wattage as 140. I have three of them. 3 x 140 = 420!

Flipping my plants in a few days. Any special instructions? I'm reading mixed philosphies online. Some say flush some say not, add special nutes, etc. Some instructions are complicated. I would like to stay as natural and simple as nature allows.

Thanks

I wouldn't flush for a flip. I think cannabis can do just fine on any well-balanced nute's, all the way from seed to stash (like 5-5-5).
The usual recommendation is lower 'N' and increase 'K' as blooming progresses. There are a bazillion bud/bulk/terpene/sugar builders out there for the bloom cycle. I'm sure some of them help, so if one of them tickles your fancy, give it a go. I like to KISS (I'm a lazy cheapskate).

Once in bloom, the wet/dry cycle needs a little modification. I no longer let the plants get dry. I still keep from over-watering, but the root system should already be fully established so no more need to make them seek moisture. Let her rip. They are especially hungry and thirsty in the beginning of bloom as they stretch. Watch 'em go!

Just googled the KISS method. Ha! I love it. That's my speed.

Also good to know that I shouldn't make the plants too thirsty. I've been letting them quite dry - thanks to your tip - and the roots are busting out of the SmartPots. Their root system is just about there. So I'll flip, use the KISS method and possibly some 555 and no flush.

Again, thanks Major!

Flipped the plants to flower today. Excited about this. All four plants are looking good.

My clones all died. I didn't have them under their separate light. Had them in the corner of the tent under 18/6 in a propagation tank. Then I put them in the sun and they shriveled up. Was really just an experiment.

Installed my 4" fan inline. It doesn't seem to be pulling much air through the carbon filter. It's on high too. It fits nicely in the tent but I'm not sure if it's powerful enough to do anything. I don't smell anything when the tent is zipped up and air is coming out of the exhaust; there's so little to no pull from the filter. Should I feel air pulling from underneath the carbon filter? Does it sound like the fan is doing anything?

Back
Top Bottom