First Time Grower! - Bubba Kush! - Advice Appreciated!

Question for everyone. What would you say is the easiest strain to grow for a beginner - and one with the best yields? I'm enjoying this Bubba grow, but I'm already thinking of my next grow. Northern Lights autofem looks good.

Green crack has high yields and easy to grow it's the only strain I've grown but really easy for first time grower like me tryna get the hang of things, I know I messed up a couple times with to many nutes and other issues but you wouldn't know it by the looks of it..also heard white widow is a easy grower.. as long as you keep you ph levels good and don't over nute you shouldn't have any issues

I have a set of leaves that are curling; they seem burnt. And there's a gold splotch on one leave. Any idea what could cause this? The rest of the plant looks healthy and it's my biggest plant.

IMG_20160531_200604.jpg
IMG_20160531_200659.jpg
IMG_20160531_200739.jpg

Boron Deficiency
Problem: A boron deficiency in cannabis is relatively rare, and is usually accompanied by other types of nutrient or pH problems that appear as problems with the leaves.

The first signs of a cannabis boron deficiency is abnormal or thick growth tips along with brown or yellow spotting on new leaves. With a boron deficiency, upper cannabis leaves display abnormal and/or slowed growth. Growing tips may not grow properly, may display twisted growth, and may die off. New leaves may wrinkle or curl.
Plant roots can also be affected by a boron deficiency, showing unhealthy or slow growth. Stems may become rough or hollow.
A plant with a boron deficiency may look like it has a calcium deficiency because boron is needed for the plant to properly use calcium. New growth is affected the most, and may look like it's been burnt or scorched.

A boron deficiency is often accompanied by an apparent potassium or nitrogen deficiency, as these nutrients are needed for the plant to use boron. Boron deficiencies are more likely to appear when a plant is underwatered or experiencing very low humidity (very dry air).

Solution for Boron Deficiency in Cannabis
Note: Sometimes a cannabis boron deficiency (like all deficiencies) can be triggered by stressful conditions and may clear up on its own after the period of stress is over.

1.) Use Good Sources of Nutrients
Most cannabis growers don't need to add more nutrient. In fact, most growers have actually already given plenty of boron to their cannabis plants, whether they meant to or not. If you're using quality soil or cannabis-friendly nutrients, you probably don't need to worry about adding more boron. Boron deficiencies are generally more likely to appear when a grower is using heavily filtered or reverse osmisis (RO) water to feed plants, since boron is found in most tap water, but that's actually not the most common reason growers see boron deficiencies in their cannabis plants! As long as you're giving your plants a good source of nutrients, you probably need to...

2.) Adjust pH to Correct Range
But the reason most growers see boron deficiencies is because boron is best absorbed at lower pH ranges. When the pH gets too high, your plant may exhibit signs of a boron deficiency even if it's physically there near the

In soil, boron is best absorbed by the roots in the 6.0 - 6.5 pH range (in soil, it's generally recommended to keep the pH between 6.0 - 7.0, but boron specifically tends to be best absorbed below 6.5).
In hydro, boron is best absorbed by the roots in the 5.5 - 6.2 pH range (in hydro, it's generally recommended to keep the pH between 5.5 - 6.5, but boron specifically tends to be best absorbed below 6.2).

3.) Give Plants Enough Moisture
Boron is not absorbed well if there isn't enough moisture, for example if plant is underwatered or humidity is very low (below 25% relative humidity in the air). Proper watering practices will help prevent underwatering, and a humidifier may be needed to achieve the best growth if your grow room is very dry.

4.) Watch Leaves for Recovery
If you suspect your growing cannabis plant has a boron deficiency, flush your system with clean, pH'd water that contains a regular dose of cannabis-friendly nutrients. Old damaged growth will likely not recover. Watch plant over next few days to make sure that the problem stops spreading to new growth.

Leaf Color:
Edges Appear Brown or Burnt
Pale Color Leaves
Dark or Purple Leaves
Brown or Dark Spots
Leaf Symptoms:
Upper Leaves / Newer Growth Affected
Thick Growth Tips
Spots
Slow Growth
Twisted Growth
Abnormal Growth
Plant Symptoms:
Slow Growth
Twisted Growth
Root Symptoms:
Slow Growing

I ended up with a couple spots that died as well after i potted up my Bubba I don't worry to much about 1 or 2 old leaves dying off and doing weird stuff I watch the new growth and if its growing fast and healthy and the overall health of the plants and leaves. 9 point leaf is a good thing it means that the plant is reaching maturity and is comfortable and happy i had an 11 point on my Lunar Landing last grow i was pretty proud.

Oh and some of the top leaves look like some heat stress maybe here is a pic of my Pennywise on the first 80 degree day having some heat stress so i shaded it.
fc7ee177cbd0ca64d5123b7cf73754ec.jpg

IDK if your pictures accurately portray the color of your plants, but I'd suspect 'N' claw and maybe mag deficit (PH?).

Are you testing after u add nutes? Make sure you test the pH of that water after you've added everything it looks like you nutrient burn to plant a little

Sent from my LG-H901 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I did test after I added nutes and I brought it to 6.5. However, I forgot Major said the Pro Mix doesn't really need nutes and I added the nutes. So I think you're right. Some nute burn.

Green crack has high yields and easy to grow it's the only strain I've grown but really easy for first time grower like me tryna get the hang of things, I know I messed up a couple times with to many nutes and other issues but you wouldn't know it by the looks of it..also heard white widow is a easy grower.. as long as you keep you ph levels good and don't over nute you shouldn't have any issues

Ah yes, Green Crack! Sounds good. Maybe I'll go that route. I'll start some research on GC!

You haven't harvested your GC yet, correct? Curious to hear your yield. Looking good, btw.

Boron Deficiency
Problem: A boron deficiency in cannabis is relatively rare, and is usually accompanied by other types of nutrient or pH problems that appear as problems with the leaves.

Leaf Color:
Edges Appear Brown or Burnt
Pale Color Leaves
Dark or Purple Leaves
Brown or Dark Spots
Leaf Symptoms:
Upper Leaves / Newer Growth Affected
Thick Growth Tips
Spots
Slow Growth
Twisted Growth
Abnormal Growth
Plant Symptoms:
Slow Growth
Twisted Growth
Root Symptoms:
Slow Growing

Great info. Thanks!

I ended up with a couple spots that died as well after i potted up my Bubba I don't worry to much about 1 or 2 old leaves dying off and doing weird stuff I watch the new growth and if its growing fast and healthy and the overall health of the plants and leaves. 9 point leaf is a good thing it means that the plant is reaching maturity and is comfortable and happy i had an 11 point on my Lunar Landing last grow i was pretty proud.

Thanks, redmud. This helps the anxiety a bit. Seems like the new growth is going alright.

IDK if your pictures accurately portray the color of your plants, but I'd suspect 'N' claw and maybe mag deficit (PH?).

My oldest leaves are dark green. Just google "the claw" and it seems like dark green is a sign of nitrogen overload? I added 2-4-1 fish nutes after I got my water to 6.5 during my up-pot. And I just remember you saying that Pro Mix HP is pretty good with the nutrients it provides - I up-potted into Pro Mix. Maybe I f'd up by adding the 2-4-1 in addition to the Pro Mix.

Would you say I should monitor and if it gets worse, flush?

Thanks, Major!

I did test after I added nutes and I brought it to 6.5. However, I forgot Major said the Pro Mix doesn't really need nutes and I added the nutes. So I think you're right. Some nute burn.
Wait! Did I say that somewhere?

My oldest leaves are dark green. Just google "the claw" and it seems like dark green is a sign of nitrogen overload? I added 2-4-1 fish nutes after I got my water to 6.5 during my up-pot. And I just remember you saying that Pro Mix HP is pretty good with the nutrients it provides - I up-potted into Pro Mix. Maybe I f'd up by adding the 2-4-1 in addition to the Pro Mix.

Would you say I should monitor and if it gets worse, flush?

Thanks, Major!

For the record, ProMix has zero nute's in it. It has peat moss, perlite, myco and a wetting agent - no fert's whatsoever.
I would not flush at this point. A little claw won't hurt. If you see burnt tips, or entire leaves curling heavily like over-watering, that's another story. I think they are looking fine other than those curled up tips.

CORRECTION! My stoner memory failed me. I misquoted Major. Here is the quote which is the opposite of what I wrote "If you are adding nutrients, I love Promix HP." This is one of the many reasons I do not write for the NY Times. Sorry, Major.

Wait! Did I say that somewhere?

Corrected below. Sorry, Major.

For the record, ProMix has zero nute's in it. It has peat moss, perlite, myco and a wetting agent - no fert's whatsoever.
I would not flush at this point. A little claw won't hurt. If you see burnt tips, or entire leaves curling heavily like over-watering, that's another story. I think they are looking fine other than those curled up tips.

I'll keep an eye out. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom