First Time Grower! - Bubba Kush! - Advice Appreciated!

Re-potting question. Noticed my largest plant's roots are trying to break through the bottom of the plastic pot. So, I plan to re-pot into a 3 gallon Smart Pot. The plant is dry.. I haven't been going overboard with watering. It's been doing well on it's own so I just leave it alone until it sends SOS signals - thanks to advice on this thread. I don't want to screw up the re-potting process. I would like to get all of this girl and her roots well into the Smart Pot with ProMix. So, should I dampen the current soil/pot (to make sure it all comes out in one clump) then turn upside down until it loosens and place into the Smart Pot? Should I add ProMix first and water then add the plant?

My method:
Moisten the soil in the new, larger pot. Don't soak it - just moist so it holds together. Leave the old, smaller pot dry. You want it to have contracted a little away from the sides of the pot - not damp and swelled. Use the small pot to measure the hole you dig in the new pot. Tap around the outside of the small pot to loosen the root ball. Turn it upside down and give it a good rap on the top (bottom of pot). It should fall right out. Score roots in four places with a razor blade or sharp utility knife to loosen up the roots a little. Drop in in the prepared hole, lightly compact the soil around the plant to make sure there is good contact all around, and water in (drench) completely. Drain. Done.

PB_Transplant1_05-02-15.jpg
PB_Transplant2_05-02-15.jpg
PB_Transplant3_05-02-15.jpg
PB_Transplant5_05-02-15.jpg

My method:
Moisten the soil in the new, larger pot. Don't soak it - just moist so it holds together. Leave the old, smaller pot dry. You want it to have contracted a little away from the sides of the pot - not damp and swelled. Use the small pot to measure the hole you dig in the new pot. Tap around the outside of the small pot to loosen the root ball. Turn it upside down and give it a good rap on the top (bottom of pot). It should fall right out. Score roots in four places with a razor blade or sharp utility knife to loosen up the roots a little. Drop in in the prepared hole, lightly compact the soil around the plant to make sure there is good contact all around, and water in (drench) completely. Drain. Done.

PB_Transplant1_05-02-15.jpg
PB_Transplant2_05-02-15.jpg
PB_Transplant3_05-02-15.jpg
PB_Transplant5_05-02-15.jpg

I love it! Thanks for the photos in addition to instructions. Going to take all of your advice and pot-up. I have a clear picture of how to.

I tried potting up both ways and the best i have figured out is damp soil in the plants i like to fill my new pot with soil to the height i want my plant, i test it by setting the still potted plant in the new pot on the soil till its right, then i leave the potted plant in and fill it the rest of the way to level with the soil in the old pot, lift the pot and plant out spray the hole with ph'd water sprinkle some mykos or great white in there, pop the plant out of the pot, and into the perfect size hole, ad a little soil to the top to fill any gaps scratch the top mixing the new and old soil at the surface then let it rest a day or as long as you feel comfortable then give them ph'd water till runoff and return to whatever feed schedule you established

Sent from my Z959 using 420

Great. I have my pH meter too. Will go for the up-pot today!

I realize how insane I was to think one 300 watt LED would veg 7 Bubba's. Well, I have 4 plants left under one light - all at various heights and health. So, I'm thinking the biggest Bubbs will go into flower sooner than the rest. Going to have to separate them. All 4 are under the vipar 300. So, I'm in the market for an additional light. Questions:

Should I buy another LED or mix it up (HPS, etc.)? The LED is kind on my electricity bill.

Should I buy another 300 or go for a 600 watt light next?

Thanks!

HPS gives the most bang for the buck as long as you can control the heat and are willing to pay more each month for electricity as opposed to paying more up front for LEDs. I prefer HPS. Most growers will probably disagree.

I'd buy two 300W LEDs before I'd buy one 600W unit. More flexibility in placement and coverage, as well as making sure one is working if one should ever fail (and they will eventually).

IMO, each 300W (135-150W actual) is only good for one plant. Even if you buy two, or add one 600W panel, you are still only going to cover three plants at most. A single 600W HPS will give better coverage and let you grow about 4 good-sized plants (if you have the room) with better penetration under the canopy.

MajorP covered it there only thing left to add is when i added the second LED light heat started to become an issue

HPS gives the most bang for the buck as long as you can control the heat and are willing to pay more each month for electricity as opposed to paying more up front for LEDs. I prefer HPS. Most growers will probably disagree.

I'd buy two 300W LEDs before I'd buy one 600W unit. More flexibility in placement and coverage, as well as making sure one is working if one should ever fail (and they will eventually).

IMO, each 300W (135-150W actual) is only good for one plant. Even if you buy two, or add one 600W panel, you are still only going to cover three plants at most. A single 600W HPS will give better coverage and let you grow about 4 good-sized plants (if you have the room) with better penetration under the canopy.

Thanks, Major. From what I read HPS is very powerful. I calculated my monthly cost with an HPS to be around $88. Pros and Cons for me. Pro: cheaper than LED, powerful, replaceable bulbs. Cons: 88/month (not too bad)...though here's the kicker, my wife may draw the line and veto the continuation of my new hobby! And no one wants to see a grown man cry.

I will keep looking into this. I have to make a decision soon as my girls need all the power I can provide.

I ran the Mars Hydro 300 with the 5 watt diodes and the Illuminator jumbo ufo i think its rated at 400 watts but it has 5 watt diodes as well. I read that the lights with 3 watt diodes produce a lot less heat, like the Galaxy hydro, i have seen it in action on another site and it grows tight nodes and nice buds. these days there are a ton of good LED light options though.

5th Week Bubba Kush

Up-potted my last two Bubba Kush plants. Big thanks to all who gave advice - I followed the steps. I'm certainly no pro, but miles beyond where I started.

Tested pH for the first time. Came in high at 7.7. Used pH Up to land at an even 6.5.
Added a spoon-full of Neptunes 2-4-1 fert.
Up-potted into 3 gallon SmartPots with ProMix HP.
They're soaking in the sun safely. Will return under my weak 300 watt LED for the night. Still in market for more lights.

IMG_20160529_131650.jpg

IMG_20160529_132901.jpg

IMG_20160529_135811.jpg

The two girls in front are the plants I up-potted. Looking good so far. Thanks again!

I ran the Mars Hydro 300 with the 5 watt diodes and the Illuminator jumbo ufo i think its rated at 400 watts but it has 5 watt diodes as well. I read that the lights with 3 watt diodes produce a lot less heat, like the Galaxy hydro, i have seen it in action on another site and it grows tight nodes and nice buds. these days there are a ton of good LED light options though.

Thanks, redmud. Good to know Mars works for you. I found a 2pcs Mars Hydro 300 on Ebay for $138. Going to pick it up. Major brought up a good point, pick up two 300 watt instead of the 600 in the event one breaks down.

I think you are doing great! :bravo:

I will make one comment about the roots you show. Those are closer to hydro roots. Notice how large their average diameter is. Soil roots are typically finer. All it means is your plant has been getting lots of water.

AS_Roots.jpg
Sad_PB_Roots.jpg

I think you are doing great! :bravo:

I will make one comment about the roots you show. Those are closer to hydro roots. Notice how large their average diameter is. Soil roots are typically finer. All it means is your plant has been getting lots of water.

Big difference between both sets of roots. I appreciate you pointing this out. Before today I haven't watered the plant for a little over a week. Of course the roots volume wouldn't change with one watering. So I'm guessing the ballooned before I learned not to water them daily; which I was doing for the first couple weeks. I'll lay back on the water. Thanks again!

Purchased two Mars Hydro 300 watt LEDs. I'll have a total of 3 LEDs.

Is the general rule to flip to flower around 18"? My tallest is 11".

I topped all plants and they're really sprouting. Is it OK if I just top once or should I go for more? Would I top again at the newly formed sprouts? I really only understand the method of topping the section where the main solo cola would sprout.

Thanks

Woke up this morning and noticed that more leaves on my biggest plant are starting to curl. I'm worried my plant is in danger. Any thoughts? I up-potted last weekend and added a slight amount of 2-4-1 with pH balanced water. Also, the plant is growing 9 leaves on one leaf - is this normal? Please help!

IMG_20160601_071109.jpg

Back
Top Bottom