First Time Grower! - Bubba Kush! - Advice Appreciated!

I'm not seeing any flower/preflowers.
Maybe I missed it. Did you flip it to 12/12?

Cloning question. Read mixed info online; thought I'd ask the pros here. I'm setting up my new grow tent with inline fan this week. Will have a total of 3 x 300 LEDs and four Bubba's going into flower in 2 or so weeks. I plan on using the knowledge I have so far along with the genetics of the strongest plant to grow even better Bubba Kush plants on my 2nd run - rather than buying more seeds. So, some questions:

When is the best time to clone the Mother?

Can I wait until last 2-3 weeks of flower?

Can the clones go straight into 12/12?

Best to take clones from the bottom of the Mother?

Propagation tray with inserts until I have a good chunk of roots?

How many clones should I take? I hear take more in the event some don't make it.

Thanks!

I'd take clones before the flip. You'll get better results, IMO.
I would not put clones directly under 12/12. They need to veg quite a while to recover. If they survived a transplant under 12/12/, you end up with tiny, low-yielding plants.
I used to get nearly 100% of my cuttings to root. Most recently my results are more like zero. Take as many cuttings as you feel comfortable removing. No telling how many will root until you've done it several times. I've been told lower and middle branches are the best spots to cut them from.
:goodluck:

I'd take clones before the flip. You'll get better results, IMO.
I would not put clones directly under 12/12. They need to veg quite a while to recover. If they survived a transplant under 12/12/, you end up with tiny, low-yielding plants.
I used to get nearly 100% of my cuttings to root. Most recently my results are more like zero. Take as many cuttings as you feel comfortable removing. No telling how many will root until you've done it several times. I've been told lower and middle branches are the best spots to cut them from.
:goodluck:

OK. I'll make some cuts before I flip. And I'll veg until proper heights. Got it! Makes sense that they would grow smaller yields if going straight to 12/12.

Question for you, Major. You mentioned using worm castings with ProMix. I bought some. Do you blend it in your ProMix or add it to the top of the mix? My plants are already up-potted with ProMix. Was wondering if I could add some to the top layer - not sure if it will be of any benefit.

Thanks!

I do both. I mix some EWC in with the Promix before planting. I also usually side dress pots with additional EWC about when they go into bloom. It is like a mild recharging tea for the plants as it get watered in.

I agree with MP again except i had about 70% success. definitely take your clones at the peak of health. I have read to drop the N a little i was feeding every other watering so i cut clones a few days after i did a plain ph'd water the most vigorous healthy clones were the single stem lower branch clones with three or more nodes. After i cut a 45 degree angle 1/4 below a node into it and stripped the lower bark layer I soaked them in Dip n Grow solution mixed at the 20x mark for a minute then put them in the plug and stripped the extra leaves away from the lower stem leaving the top growth tip to grow and two fan leaves.
I flowered a clone as soon as she rooted this winter so i could cross her with a male i had growing and it was cute as heck like a Bonsai the biggest bud was the size of a dime and the other two were like pencil eraser size but she gave me 16 seeds of Blackberry Kush x Lunar Landing i am looking forward to developing the strain.

I agree with MP again except i had about 70% success. definitely take your clones at the peak of health. I have read to drop the N a little i was feeding every other watering so i cut clones a few days after i did a plain ph'd water the most vigorous healthy clones were the single stem lower branch clones with three or more nodes. After i cut a 45 degree angle 1/4 below a node into it and stripped the lower bark layer I soaked them in Dip n Grow solution mixed at the 20x mark for a minute then put them in the plug and stripped the extra leaves away from the lower stem leaving the top growth tip to grow and two fan leaves.
I flowered a clone as soon as she rooted this winter so i could cross her with a male i had growing and it was cute as heck like a Bonsai the biggest bud was the size of a dime and the other two were like pencil eraser size but she gave me 16 seeds of Blackberry Kush x Lunar Landing i am looking forward to developing the strain.

Awesome, redmud! I have a clear picture now. Nice work. Thanks!

Do you suggest a propagation tray and dome, or just planting the clone in the ProMix (in plastic cup with hole cut in bottom)?

I used a diy bubble cloner with Rapid Rooter plugs and i wouldn't hesitate to clone into a neutral soil, or Pete Pucks the last two clones i cut i put into the Rapid Rooters then put them into regular potting soil and waited to see growth so I think the process leading up to putting them in a medium is the important part. I liked spraying twice a day instead of a dome the humidity dome seemed to make them droopy but that was winter so a dome might be better during warmer days with less humidity in the air overall.

I used a diy bubble cloner with Rapid Rooter plugs and i wouldn't hesitate to clone into a neutral soil, or Pete Pucks the last two clones i cut i put into the Rapid Rooters then put them into regular potting soil and waited to see growth so I think the process leading up to putting them in a medium is the important part. I liked spraying twice a day instead of a dome the humidity dome seemed to make them droopy but that was winter so a dome might be better during warmer days with less humidity in the air overall.

Thanks, redmud. I know every situation differs, but how long - on average - did you nurture before placing them in soil?

I waited to see either root growth or foliage growth for most of them I had some clones pop roots in 3 days and others took 3 weeks and longer the ones that took longer got put into soil to finish and one of them is the LL i have growing in my journal it took forever to root and start growing.

Anyone experience crazy roots popping out of a SmartPot?

IMG_20160606_204546.jpg

I was moving the pots to fit my new lights and noticed the roots of my biggest plant punching through the SmartPot. Any ideas what my next steps should be? I thought 3 gallon pots would be enough. If I up-pot how do I get the roots off?

Bubba Kush apparently LOVES ProMix HP and SmartPots. Roots Gone Wild!

Wow i guess it went looking for more water was it trying to turn on the faucet too. How much longer do you plan to veg? After my first grow i swore off anything smaller than a 5 gallon short black plastic pot for a final pot i checked the roots after harvest and they were pretty tight in there. I know a grower who is using 50 gallon smart pots and is having us build out a new flower area that will be 16' by 38' and 16 foot tall he plans to grow 8 plants in 100 gallon smart pots with two 1000 watt Gavita lights on each he is hoping to yield 5 pounds a plant so if you want bigger plants use bigger pots if you want to limit their size a smaller pot is fine. Roots grow fast so if you decide to pot it up i wouldnt worry if you hurt them a bit shoot MP cuts them to get more new root growth

Wow i guess it went looking for more water was it trying to turn on the faucet too. How much longer do you plan to veg? After my first grow i swore off anything smaller than a 5 gallon short black plastic pot for a final pot i checked the roots after harvest and they were pretty tight in there. I know a grower who is using 50 gallon smart pots and is having us build out a new flower area that will be 16' by 38' and 16 foot tall he plans to grow 8 plants in 100 gallon smart pots with two 1000 watt Gavita lights on each he is hoping to yield 5 pounds a plant so if you want bigger plants use bigger pots if you want to limit their size a smaller pot is fine. Roots grow fast so if you decide to pot it up i wouldnt worry if you hurt them a bit shoot MP cuts them to get more new root growth

Yeah, I think it was looking for the faucet. I've definitely learned to make them earn their water. Vegging in 1-1.5 weeks.

5 pounds per plant? Nice! I'd like to go bigger but don't have too much room - could probably go to 5 gallon. MP cuts the roots or the pots? Thanks, redmud!

I will have to see those 5 pound per plant yields to believe it but he swears he can do it. I read back and he said he scores the roots with a razor.

Back
Top Bottom