Golfer420 - Continuous Grow

Stage - great to see you stopping by :high-five:

I haven't been a good 420 community member as I've just been so busy with real life I've only been keeping my journal updated. Not sure who I keep it update for since I don't have much traffic stopping by but I'm glad you popped in:welcome:

I'm happy how this grow is going so far. She was started in a small container and transplanted a couple weeks ago into the 3gal pot. I'll finish her there. I still have a small grow tent so I don't have much room. I decided against going with 2 plants since putting the heater in there was required and takes up room.

Hope all is well with you and the family and that your grows are going well :Namaste:

Few more photos on day 38 (I screwed up the count yesterday) :oops:

Purple_Kush_37_daysd_.jpeg

Purple_Kush_37_daysc_.jpeg

Purple_Kush_37_days_.jpeg

Day 40. Comparing my pics today to my White Widow in '16 that I did a more traditional flux/manifold with. My main stems and branches were much thicker with the having only 2 main branches where I topped. Thinking I might have been better off doing the same with my Purple Kush. I feel like she's growing slower than the WW.

Oh well - still happy with how she's progressing. Before long the lower branches almost to the rim I will let grow upwards.

Thanks for stopping by :Namaste:

:passitleft:

IMG_166331.JPG

IMG_166239.JPG

IMG_166042.JPG

IMG_165828.JPG

IMG_165932.JPG

IMG_166135.JPG

Day 45. Looking good. Letting her grow in a little before I tie her down further and trim a few leaves. I am hoping to see the stems bulk up. I don't see me flipping the lights for several weeks yet.

Enjoy the photos and vids ;)

YouTube

YouTube

IMG_166535.JPG

IMG_166632.JPG

IMG_166735.JPG

Day 46. So much for me letting her grow :laughtwo: I took some photos today and I just had to trim her back and tighten up the screws :;): Took some before and after shots to highlight the difference.

I'm realizing that my initial thoughts on this design was flawed a bit. I thought by having 3 additional sets of nodes coming off the main stem would give me a 'pinwheel' look and the growth tips from each horizontal node would grow nicely into buds. Unfortunately, while the growth tips might grow up like that in the open areas, the main horizontal nodes are not that large. That is what I'm realizing, if I had gone with one main manifold, each of the growth tips off that single node would grow much quicker than mine have. All feeding would come from that main manifold of the first two horizontal growth tips. That's why my 8 nodes coming off are not that big.

Oh well. Better to have tried and realized than to not try at all ;) Still hoping I come out with at least main colas. Next time I will stick to a normal manifold like I did with my White Widow. Speaking of which - I just put the last small bud left from the WW grow into my lil smoke tin. I think WW will need to be my next grow :yummy:

Seeing some early trichomes on these leaves. More so than I recall seeing on others. Knocking wood this is a good sign :wood:

PK_Day_46a.JPG

PK_Day_46b.JPG

PK_Day_46c.JPG

PK_Day_46d.JPG

PK_Day_46e.JPG

High Golfer.

Reading your post below it helps me understand your motivation.

I have always admired the patience and discipline required for fluxing.
Looking at how symmetrical the stems become and how beautifully spaced each of the bud sites are is truly remarkable.

I understand the objective.

Looking at her she looks a little stressed at all the attention you have been giving with your snips. ;)

My two cents are to focus on the roots and less on the shoots.
At nearly 7 weeks of vegetative growth, you should have had several wet dry cycles giving your roots an opportunity to establish themselves.

What are your temps and RH% averages in the tent?

Day 46. So much for me letting her grow :laughtwo: I took some photos today and I just had to trim her back and tighten up the screws :;): Took some before and after shots to highlight the difference.

I'm realizing that my initial thoughts on this design was flawed a bit. I thought by having 3 additional sets of nodes coming off the main stem would give me a 'pinwheel' look and the growth tips from each horizontal node would grow nicely into buds. Unfortunately, while the growth tips might grow up like that in the open areas, the main horizontal nodes are not that large. That is what I'm realizing, if I had gone with one main manifold, each of the growth tips off that single node would grow much quicker than mine have. All feeding would come from that main manifold of the first two horizontal growth tips. That's why my 8 nodes coming off are not that big.

Oh well. Better to have tried and realized than to not try at all ;) Still hoping I come out with at least main colas. Next time I will stick to a normal manifold like I did with my White Widow. Speaking of which - I just put the last small bud left from the WW grow into my lil smoke tin. I think WW will need to be my next grow :yummy:

Seeing some early trichomes on these leaves. More so than I recall seeing on others. Knocking wood this is a good sign :wood:

Thank you Stage for stopping by and taking an interest :Namaste:

I believe her roots are well. I had started her in a smaller container and when I transplanted (about 4 weeks ago) she had a decent roots system going already. I am pretty consistent in my watering. I don't overwater but use the moisture meter to determine when to water/feed again. I let her go until she's almost dry. Start off with 500 ml of water every couple days and now I'm up to 1 liter every 2 or 3 days. I don't typically water until run off. I'm thinking I will need to flush her in a few weeks.

Being in the garage I don't have as much control over temps and humidity that I want. Installing the InkBird was great since I was able to keep the temps between 77 and 84 on a consistent basis when the garage was about 5f. Sometimes the temps rise to over 90 temporarily as the heater drives the temps up kinda quick but it cools down quick (especially when lights are off). Avg about 80f.

Humidity is pretty much what you would expect from the north east. Some days it's low (20-40) and when you get rainy days it can be 40-60. Avg about 50%.

Appreciate the advice from Stage the Sage :high-five:

Stage - great to see you stopping by :high-five:

I haven't been a good 420 community member as I've just been so busy with real life I've only been keeping my journal updated. Not sure who I keep it update for since I don't have much traffic stopping by but I'm glad you popped in:welcome:

I'm happy how this grow is going so far. She was started in a small container and transplanted a couple weeks ago into the 3gal pot. I'll finish her there. I still have a small grow tent so I don't have much room. I decided against going with 2 plants since putting the heater in there was required and takes up room.

Hope all is well with you and the family and that your grows are going well :Namaste:

High there. I didnt see this post earlier.
Didnt want you to think I dont have any manners. ;)

The fam is doing well.
My back is holding up.

Hows things going in your neck of town?
:popcorn:

Sounds good there.
Question for ya?

Do you usually veg with blurple led?

When I did, I didn't love the results.

The node spacing and branching were much better under T5's or floros.

Have you tried other lighting in your veg? I probably could look in your earlier journals but..:cheesygrinsmiley:

No worries, bro :Namaste:

Appreciate you stopping around ;)

All is good here. Last year at this time was tough with some health issues but I'm doing fine now. Hard at this time to spend more time online and participating as much I could. Some day it would be nice to spend time on here 420mag and then head to the garden :slide:

I have a Mars II 400w LED. It has two settings, one for veg and one for bloom - I've left both on. Wasn't really sure if veg-only was limiting output in some way - figuring more is better, even if they may not need that spectrum. My old Mars only had on/off and those plants did ok, figured leave both on. I could lower the light. I have it set pretty high.

I have a couple of 23w CFL's in there too but they don't really do much. I kept them on mostly to keep the heat regulated better.

Do you think my nodes are too tight? Who likes tight nodes?:biglaugh: I actually would rather have tighter nodes since my last several grows had sativa-like growth and it makes it tough in my short tent. I think I could get tighter nodes if I lowered the lights but I'm good with the nodal spacing right now.

I'm thinking I may flip the lights soon. She'll go through some decent growth before buds start filling out. What are your thoughts on how much longer I should veg?

7 Weeks Old:party:

As I look her over I realize that doing a manifold makes so much more sense. From a simple traffic/network perspective.....up the main stalk, 2 directions to go, up the stalk further there are two more directions, then up again and 2 more directions. All those little growth spurts off those horizontal stems are going to be useless, except maybe the ones on top. Next time I'll be going traditional. ;)

Getting closer to flip, just don't know when yet. :Namaste:

IMG_167036.JPG

IMG_167140.JPG

IMG_167342.JPG

IMG_167641.JPG

IMG_167837.JPG

IMG_167548.JPG

IMG_167944.JPG

I have a Mars II 400w LED. It has two settings, one for veg and one for bloom - I've left both on. Wasn't really sure if veg-only was limiting output in some way - figuring more is better, even if they may not need that spectrum. My old Mars only had on/off and those plants did ok, figured leave both on. I could lower the light. I have it set pretty high.

I have a couple of 23w CFL's in there too but they don't really do much. I kept them on mostly to keep the heat regulated better.

Do you think my nodes are too tight? Who likes tight nodes?:biglaugh: I actually would rather have tighter nodes since my last several grows had sativa-like growth and it makes it tough in my short tent. I think I could get tighter nodes if I lowered the lights but I'm good with the nodal spacing right now.

I'm thinking I may flip the lights soon. She'll go through some decent growth before buds start filling out. What are your thoughts on how much longer I should veg?

High Golfer
It's all space specific.
I have 7 ft tents so I usually let em go after a while.

I try to judge when to flip on how well I think I grew roots.

I don't think twice about cutting the plant back and letting the shoots grow again.

Drenching has helped my veg. Especially in smaller pots.

Your sig shows your on journal # 7. I think you got this. ;)

7 Weeks Old:party:

As I look her over I realize that doing a manifold makes so much more sense. From a simple traffic/network perspective.....up the main stalk, 2 directions to go, up the stalk further there are two more directions, then up again and 2 more directions. All those little growth spurts off those horizontal stems are going to be useless, except maybe the ones on top. Next time I'll be going traditional. ;)

Getting closer to flip, just don't know when yet. :Namaste:

While on the internet one day a few years ago I stumbled upon someone named nugbuckets who has a tutorial on manifolding.
I was fascinated by how symmetrical his plants were.

Later I came upon Light Addict on this site.
His plants won plant of the year several times.

With that being said I thought I would try my hand at it and I simply could not do it.

I believe there are ways to get the number of bud sites you require for your grow space with out the stress of manifolding and the recovery that comes with it.

Some strains are very friendly to the technique and hardly miss a beat when pruning is timed correctly.
Others...not so much. :(

Going traditional should suit you nicely next round.

Good point about #7, Stage :rofl:

I say one thing today, and do another tomorrow :loopy: Today I'm happy with how they look. Perked up after watering yesterday. I also switched the LED to the veg only mode. Feels like it made a difference with some of the inner growth. I have a before and after shot of trimming the leaves tonight. I'm thinking a couple weeks in veg and getting the top node to stretch a bit more and then all the nodes start growing upwards at about the same height.

Before

IMG_168640.JPG

IMG_168241.JPG

After

IMG_169038.JPG

IMG_168733.JPG

IMG_168827.JPG

While on the internet one day a few years ago I stumbled upon someone named nugbuckets who has a tutorial on manifolding.
I was fascinated by how symmetrical his plants were.

Later I came upon Light Addict on this site.
His plants won plant of the year several times.

With that being said I thought I would try my hand at it and I simply could not do it.

I believe there are ways to get the number of bud sites you require for your grow space with out the stress of manifolding and the recovery that comes with it.

Some strains are very friendly to the technique and hardly miss a beat when pruning is timed correctly.
Others...not so much. :(

Going traditional should suit you nicely next round.

Agreed. Not every lady is the same ;) Depends on what they like:winkyface:

I found Light Addict and fluxing first. Read through all his journals, great stuff. One of my white widows was a flux. Just recently I stumbled on the nugbuckets. I lean towards that because it seems a bit quicker than the flux. I've seen some just massive fluxes but I don't have the fng patience for some thing like that. I think 8 nice colas I'd be happy with.:Namaste:

I'm happy with how my Purple Kush is looking at 8 weeks old :hug:

She's filling out like I was hoping, a big circle with some additional growth in the middle and all at the same height. I am thinking I may LST some of the inner growth tips. She's beginning to smell good too :p. I've been alternating feeding and watering and so far she is responding well. 6ml of Big Bloom in a 1 liter of water. Every couple of feedings I had a couple ml's of cal/mag and Grow Big. I water based on those cheapo water meter prongs - works great for me:high-five:

Going to let her veg a couple more weeks (maybe more, maybe less) and then flip the lights.

Back
Top Bottom