Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

I'm not convinced that a more accurate pressure meter would allow us to apply more consistent pressure on the plates. Yes, we'd get a more accurate measurement of the pressure applied. I think it would be difficult to repeat the pressure within 145 PSI, or 1 MPa on the meter, which translates to 290 PSI, or 2 MPa on the plates. This is for the higher pressure readings of 5000 PSI or 35 MPa and above. Note that these pressures provide only five tons or 70MPa of force at the plates. A longer handle on the pump, or different pump would do more to improve the accuracy than a different meter.
I tend to agree. Just squish that shit!

I don’t know how many times I’ve said it... :rofl:

This would be a better option you can hook up a digital gauge to it unlike the one you posted which uses a cheap bottle jack.... 10 Ton 3x5 Inch Hydraulic Heat Press Machine
1665089267000.png

However I would ask them to do quad heating rods so there's 2 per plate is the way to go..and yes it's hydraulic so plug and play....however a air compressor you plug in as well.....but hydraulic is much more quieter that's for sure

So with this setup it says it doesnt have a pump but isnt tht what the red thing is in the picture isnt tht the pump or am i wrong? An im not sure what u mean by the one i posted unless ur talking about a few months ago wen i was looking at them but i dnt even remember the exact ones i was lookn at lol.

Hey @Blazinjones, The press I use is a Dabpress 6 Ton and doesn’t need a compressor it’s just a bottle jack you crank by hand. It’s plug and play. I’ve had mine for a while now and it’s a great piece of kit for the home squisher. There are a few of us here using the same press or Dabpress products and I’m sure they are as impressed as I am.

Ok where would i find one or do u no of a good spot online to get one or shud i jus go to amazon an look for a dabpress 6 ton? Also will it have the jack included or no? And also indiva710 mentioned sumthn about using quad heating rods so theres 2 per plate? Would i need to do anything like tht or does it have everything i need already? Sorry guys for all the questions i jus dnt wana spend all this money an find out i got the dam wrong thing or sum shit idk lol jus tryn to cover everything. But yea thanx guys for all the help much appreciated.

So with this setup it says it doesnt have a pump but isnt tht what the red thing is in the picture isnt tht the pump or am i wrong? An im not sure what u mean by the one i posted unless ur talking about a few months ago wen i was looking at them but i dnt even remember the exact ones i was lookn at lol.

Ok where would i find one or do u no of a good spot online to get one or shud i jus go to amazon an look for a dabpress 6 ton? Also will it have the jack included or no? And also indiva710 mentioned sumthn about using quad heating rods so theres 2 per plate? Would i need to do anything like tht or does it have everything i need already? Sorry guys for all the questions i jus dnt wana spend all this money an find out i got the dam wrong thing or sum shit idk lol jus tryn to cover everything. But yea thanx guys for all the help much appreciated.
I ordered mine direct from Dabpress but I have seen that you can order through Amazon now for cheaper than what I paid.

The pump does NOT come with the press. It must be ordered as a separate item.

You can order directly from dabpress.com, or through Amazon.

The six ton press should provide all the pressure you need for up to 14gm per press.

3" x 3" plates are large enough for one 7gm 30mm dia puck.

3" x 5" plates are large enough for two 7gm 30mm dia pucks.

Regardless of plate size, I highly recommend that both plates are heated.

I highly recommend Dabpress' three piece 30mm pre-press mold. Use 2" filter bags or rolls with this mold. I cut the bottom out of the four inch or four and a half inch long bags, and then cut them in half so each bag is good for two pucks.

At this time I don't recommend Dabpress' 40mm pre-press mold. The two and a half inch bags are not wide enough to insert a 40mm puck.

Use 120-160 micron bags for flower, or trim.
Use 37micron bags for hash or kief.
Use 25micron bags to separate diamonds and sauce from the rosin.
Insert the 37 or 25 micron bags into a 160micron bag to prevent blowouts.

The most cost effective source for filter tubes seems to be DulyTek in the USA.
In Canada, the lowest cost is using 2" x 4.5" rosin bags from supremerosin dot ca.

You will need parchment or teflon film sheets to press rosin. Parchment sheets should not be re-used for buddery rosin. They can be used for rosin that is closer to shatter, but a heated plate is needed to release the rosin. I will be testing the teflon film for re-use later this weekend. Delivery has been delayed until Monday due to severe weather.

You will need a clamp that opens to about 6" or 15cm to compress the material in the pre-press mold.

Small one inch capacity clamps are useful to hold the filter tube to the pucks, should you wish to make them in advance of pressing the pucks. I bought mine at the dollar store for $1.25 CDN per six-pack.

Dental, wax or clay modeling tools are the lowest cost for gathering rosin. I use a tool with a leaf shaped tip about 10mm x 2.5mm (3/8" x 3/32") to collect the rosin from the parchment or teflon film.

:hmmmm:

:thedoubletake:

Has anyone here considered converting their 6 ton dabpress from bottle jack to hydraulic cylinder? I'm Currently keeping an eye out around the web for one decently priced with the right height/stroke/tonnage... although I might just throw my press on kijiji and upgrade to a 10 ton unit.

Has anyone here considered converting their 6 ton dabpress from bottle jack to hydraulic cylinder? I'm Currently keeping an eye out around the web for one decently priced with the right height/stroke/tonnage... although I might just throw my press on kijiji and upgrade to a 10 ton unit.
Grandpa Tokin has the setup I will go to from this desk top press . Harbor freight is the most reasonable price stand up unit .

It's going to cost $150 - $200 USD to convert the six ton. The frame may not be strong enough for a ten ton cylinder. You need a cylinder with a 1.5" (38mm) stroke as a minimum. Chances are you will need to insert a steel block under the cylinder to get it to the correct height. You'd also need to buy an appropriate pump.

It will probably cost less, and certainly be less problematic to sell the six ton unit and buy the ten ton unit.

The frame may not be strong enough for a ten ton cylinder.
Couldn't be more right. Be very careful with upgrades to cylinders and Jack's. When shit comes apart under 24,000lbs of pressure it's never pretty.

My rigs frame has 60+ lbs of steel in it and it's just 24"x18". That's to contain a 12 ton bottle jack.

A 6 ton Dabpress rig shipping weight is 42 lbs for the whole shebang including the box it comes in and all accessories soooo....

Sorry bud, I didn’t mean to make light of the situation. I didn’t read all the posts before responding. I tend to get high. :rofl:

If you’re in the States I’ve heard that Amazon may be a little cheaper. I’d definitely get a DabPress or something very similar. This rosin stuff is fun.

As always, read @Old Salt post above, I agree with his recommendations completely. Good luck and let me know if you need any further help.

It's going to cost $150 - $200 USD to convert the six ton. The frame may not be strong enough for a ten ton cylinder. You need a cylinder with a 1.5" (38mm) stroke as a minimum. Chances are you will need to insert a steel block under the cylinder to get it to the correct height. You'd also need to buy an appropriate pump.

It will probably cost less, and certainly be less problematic to sell the six ton unit and buy the ten ton unit.

Agreed. I guess taking into account cost and safety it only makes sense to upgrade the entire press.

Couldn't be more right. Be very careful with upgrades to cylinders and Jack's. When shit comes apart under 24,000lbs of pressure it's never pretty.

My rigs frame has 60+ lbs of steel in it and it's just 24"x18". That's to contain a 12 ton bottle jack.

A 6 ton Dabpress rig shipping weight is 42 lbs for the whole shebang including the box it comes in and all accessories soooo....

I don't think weight of the press tells the whole story.

4 ton: 31 lbs
6 ton: 40 lbs
10 ton: 32 lbs
12 ton pro: 46 lbs
12 ton mini: 29 lbs

I believe the 6 ton is the only one made entirely out of steel, the rest are made of aluminium with some threaded stainless steel rods holding them together. Anyways, looking closer at how they're put together, the point of failure is not going to be the frame itself but the hardware holding it all together.

Agreed. I guess taking into account cost and safety it only makes sense to upgrade the entire press.

I don't think weight of the press tells the whole story.

4 ton: 31 lbs
6 ton: 40 lbs
10 ton: 32 lbs
12 ton pro: 46 lbs
12 ton mini: 29 lbs

I believe the 6 ton is the only one made entirely out of steel, the rest are made of aluminium with some threaded stainless steel rods holding them together. Anyways, looking closer at how they're put together, the point of failure is not going to be the frame itself but the hardware holding it all together.

The ten ton mini is made from stainless steel as well.

don't think weight of the press tells the whole story.

Agreed weight isn't the determining factor for capacity lol.

My back would love it if I chucked up a big ass block of carbon fiber in a 3axis cnc and milled out a frame.

So, y'all have made me start to think about squishin' something! Besides growing for the family, I'm the designated grower, tincture, and edible provider for a bunch of my geezer friends, and it sounds like they need dabs!

I'm on a limited budget, and usually make up contraptions myself, but I was looking at a 4 ton dabpress, and don't think I could build it for the price they want. Actually, it would probably cost me 2x as much by the time it was all said and done!

So, would the 4 ton be a good entry into this? An ok entry? Or, would I feel immediate buyer's remorse, and wish I'd gone for the big gun? Is it practical, or just end up in the shed with the 1000W mag ballasts, lol?

Thanks for any reality checks!

So, y'all have made me start to think about squishin' something! Besides growing for the family, I'm the designated grower, tincture, and edible provider for a bunch of my geezer friends, and it sounds like they need dabs!

I'm on a limited budget, and usually make up contraptions myself, but I was looking at a 4 ton dabpress, and don't think I could build it for the price they want. Actually, it would probably cost me 2x as much by the time it was all said and done!

So, would the 4 ton be a good entry into this? An ok entry? Or, would I feel immediate buyer's remorse, and wish I'd gone for the big gun? Is it practical, or just end up in the shed with the 1000W mag ballasts, lol?

Thanks for any reality checks!

Even the 6 ton unit may be too small. How many grams of flower and trim are you going to press? Here's some timing to consider:

1 min - cut and fold parchment
2 min - form a puck
5 min - cycle through press
3-5min - recover rosin from parchment,

so one complete cycle takes 11 to 13 minutes.
The four ton will do one puck at a time, so during your press cycle, you can probably make a puck, or fold the parchment for your next cycle. Half a pound would then take 33 press cycles, of 7gm pucks. Each cycle would take a minimum of 33 cycles, 9 minutes each for a total of about five hours.

The six or ten ton presses will handle two pucks at a time. That doesn't mean it will take half the time. This will be closer to what you can achieve:

17 min - cut and fold 17 pieces of parchment
34 min - form 17 pucks
85 min - 17 press cycles + form 16 pucks
85 min - recover rosin from 17 pieces of parchment
Total time: 221 min or 3hrs, 41 min

These figures are optimistic. Count on the first hundred press cycles to take considerably longer while you learn. Realisticly. add 50% to the times above for breaks. At a optimistic 20% return, you will get about 45gm of rosin from that half pound of flower. At a gram per day, this will last one person six weeks. How many folks are you supplying? If it's more than three, you should consider the 12 ton, or the 5.5" x 7" caged plates with a hydraulic press from Harbor Freight. I'd get your geezer friends to kick in for what you need.

Talk to @incogn1to. I think he has a six ton, and wants to upgrade to a ten ton unit. That will let you and your friends try it, and decide if they want more. You could also grab a couple of them and set up an assembly line, using the smaller presses. ;)

Fuqing science! :nerd-with-glasses: You’re a damn genius.

I hurt after squshing more than 20 pucks a day, three days last week. I could barely motivate myself today to make up another twenty pucks to squish on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom