Hempy Headquarters

So yet again I have another question for you guys, how exactly do you all go about watering seedlings in hempy's? I started a few seeds a few weeks back and believe I may have drowned them. They'd been above ground for a few days when I gave them all a shot glass of water. Checked back a little later and several had fallen over and the next day more had met the same fate. I had more seeds and got those soaking and planted last Monday. All but 3 broke ground Thursday and since then I've been petrified to give them more than a good squirt from the spray bottle. I know that it'll take a bit before the tap roots hit the reservoir so until then do I just continue misting several times a day or is there a trick to water seedlings? Thanks for taking the time, I so appreciate having a place I can ask questions!

I start in 1 liter pots. I water the perlite before planting the sprouted seed, but then just give it small sips every couple of days for the first week or so. Think maybe about a tablespoon or so, or about 30g of water. I also cover my starter pots with a clear plastic cocktail cup to act as a dome to keep in the humidity and protect it from the fans, just for the first week or so, until I see it has at least it’s second set of true leaves.

Thanks Felipe! Okay, so should i water carefully until the reservoir is full again?

Think of it this way - every time you water, fresh air is pulled into the perlite behind the water. Roots need oxygen. Water often. Let it drain..

Until the roots hit the reservoir, it’s just sitting there - maybe evaporating a bit. Getting stagnant..

Flush out with a good pour-through at least every 3 days, until the plant starts pulling it down itself. Then you’ll probably need to water every 2 to 3 days anyway.
:passitleft:

What’s your growing medium? It should be very hard to drown plants in perlite as long as it drains properly. You sure your holes aren’t clogged?

Yeah it's just perlite. I suppose it's possible that they are clogged but they felt dry/light and I'd only given them a shot glass of water. i realize that they could also have just damped off which is why this go round i did a short pre soak with bleach water before the overnight soak. I dunno. Symptoms arose almost instantly after the shot glass incident though. Ha, at least it's got me further researching and actively participating in the community. For now I'm still paranoid so I'll be using a syringe to carefully drop water around the edge of their cups and continue to mist until I feel they're stronger. And I'll definitely check their drainage holes to make sure there's no clogging. Thanks everyone, here's to Monday mornings! :thanks:

Some GG4s1 grown in hempy. Finished product.
IMG_20181210_172241.jpg
IMG_20181210_172006.jpg

I have some leaves on one of my SLH's that is getting really close to harvest that are turning purple like these. Is that one of the signs of the final days?

As a deficiency can cause coloring and spotting on the leaves. I believe the cooler temperatures during the last couple weeks of this plants life is why they are that purple. With the temperatures in a more normal range I have seen orange and red come out towards the end.

I'm with Buck here. Temp changes bring on color changes. Combine that with normal end of life leaf die off, you're in for a show.
One big sign for me indicating normal vs deficiency is the location of the problem growth. Normal leaf die off happens to fan leaves and starts down low working it's way up the plant. If anything else is going on, then it might be time to investigate, but things seem normal according to your words.

Yeah it's just perlite. I suppose it's possible that they are clogged but they felt dry/light and I'd only given them a shot glass of water. i realize that they could also have just damped off which is why this go round i did a short pre soak with bleach water before the overnight soak. I dunno. Symptoms arose almost instantly after the shot glass incident though. Ha, at least it's got me further researching and actively participating in the community. For now I'm still paranoid so I'll be using a syringe to carefully drop water around the edge of their cups and continue to mist until I feel they're stronger. And I'll definitely check their drainage holes to make sure there's no clogging. Thanks everyone, here's to Monday mornings! :thanks:

Newly put together pots can often have drainage blocking as the medium settles into place over the first few weeks of waterings. Keep a tight eye out and be sure to use enough water to get a good flow out the hole during EVERY watering. This is not soil... you can't really overwater unless you have a really thick medium. Perlite is simply impossible to overwater... unless your hole is plugged.

Yeah so I'm kinda starting to think maybe they fell over because of under watering. I had another one fall over last night after spraying it down. Ugh. I know I'm overthinking things, ha. In any case I've taken everyone's advice, double checked that nothing is clogged and this morning I went ahead and gave them quite a bit more water than I have as of yet. There was good drainage coming from the holes so fingers crossed. Zipped everything up and will check back on them this evening when I get home from work. Thanks everyone for the assistance. Can't wait til I can help others as well! :Namaste:

Are these seedlings? Are they getting an adequate amount of light?

I am curious about this as well. Seems odd to lose so many seedlings. Also very sad. Need to get this figured out.

Yeah, I've never known cannabis seedlings to have any special requirements (in comparison to any random plant species). In fact, I would rank cannabis as one of the more robust plants.

Good news! They're all still upright after a good watering this morning. I have one that's leaning a bit, but it has been since I messed with it to get the husk(?) off. I know, I know. Should have let them be. But I had several that way, think I'll soak longer next time, and I just couldn't help myself. Ha.

Yes sir. 4 days since they broke ground. The first round that I lost, :rip:, were about 5-6 days old when they took a bow and left this realm. All were under cfl lighting until Sunday morning when I hung my brand new 260 watt qb. The first 24 hours I had them dimmed down and hung about 24" above them. Yesterday I dropped it to 18".

I really think I under watered. Almost embarrassed to admit this, until this morning I never gave them enough water to see any come out the hole. :eek: I was just so paranoid about drowning them. So it goes. Lot's to learn. I'm sure I'll screw the pooch a few more times before it's all said and done, ha. But I'm feeling really good about things now. Thanks so much for all of the help, you guys rock! :theband:

All were under cfl lighting

Well, wouldn't have been lack of light, then, assuming you had them within an inch (or two... maybe three, since they're seedlings) of an average CFL bulb.

Well, wouldn't have been lack of light, then, assuming you had them within an inch (or two... maybe three, since they're seedlings) of an average CFL bulb.

Yeah I had them fairly close. They are a bit taller than I think I'd like, but I left space in their solo's to add a bit of perlite just in case. They still may be stretching a bit. I'm not a 100% on exactly where I should have the led's above them. Figure I'll just keep an eye on them and let them tell me.

Yeah so I'm kinda starting to think maybe they fell over because of under watering. I had another one fall over last night after spraying it down. Ugh. I know I'm overthinking things, ha. In any case I've taken everyone's advice, double checked that nothing is clogged and this morning I went ahead and gave them quite a bit more water than I have as of yet. There was good drainage coming from the holes so fingers crossed. Zipped everything up and will check back on them this evening when I get home from work. Thanks everyone for the assistance. Can't wait til I can help others as well! :Namaste:

We've all overthought cannabis at one moment or another. :hug: As Tead says, you simply can't overwater hempy, even in seedling stage. The hole keeps the reservoir depth consistent and the wicking nature of perlite surrounds the growing roots with a nutrient-rich environment.

Fear not, you won't drown them. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

Sweet-looking plant, for sure!

Ok guys I'm still stumped. Got up this morning to greet the ladies and another took a bow (not the one I messed with's husk) and it's looking as though a few more are on their way down as well. There is a little bit of coco on the top of the cups, read somewhere that seeds like a dark warm place for germinating and figured that that would be better than just perlite. Is that maybe the culprit? Temps are a pretty steady 77 f. Humidity is on the lower side, 30-35% and that's with a bowl of water with a towel to increase surface area. I didn't use humidity domes because I read that that could cause more problems. Could it be the fans? I've got a clip fan at the top of the tent pointed down towards the water/towel setup and a 12" oscillating fan next to the girls but directed at the side wall so they are getting a bit of air, but it's not directly on them. Ugh. I'm so stumped. I had a crack at growing back in '11-12 using coco and didn't have these issues with seedlings. And it was a ghetto setup! I dunno. I wish I could post pics but I'm not very computer literate and super duper paranoid living in a state that's not 420 friendly. Help!

So I went ahead and used paperclips to prop up the one that had fallen down and to prop up a few more that are leaning. Added a bit more perlite to the tops. Was a little afraid to water and the coco on top look a bit wet so I'll wait til I get home to night and go from there. I figure the fallen ones' more than likely a goner but hope floats so....

Sweet-looking plant, for sure!

Amen to that. :thumb:

Be sure to take good pictures before you start stripping of those colorful fans. You’ll be glad you did later.

I've got a clip fan at the top of the tent pointed down towards the water/towel setup

If it isn’t damping off, I would follow up on this line of thought. I suspect the downward-pointing fan may be a factor.

Back
Top Bottom