Hempy Headquarters

So I went ahead and used paperclips to prop up the one that had fallen down and to prop up a few more that are leaning. Added a bit more perlite to the tops. Was a little afraid to water and the coco on top look a bit wet so I'll wait til I get home to night and go from there. I figure the fallen ones' more than likely a goner but hope floats so....
Post pics, easier to see what's going on

Be sure to take good pictures before you start stripping of those colorful fans. You’ll be glad you did later.

Are you still preserving fan leaves from your plants? That one looks like it's begging for it, lol (I realize it's not yours; I just happened to think of such things when I read your comment).

If it isn’t damping off, I would follow up on this line of thought. I suspect the downward-pointing fan may be a factor.

Hmm, my copy & paste lost your color preference. Whoops...

Are you thinking the temperature of the air that's hitting them might be too cold? That's a possibility. I like to begin "exercising" cannabis stems at a young age - I'll even (gently!) twist them back and forth whilst holding the base securely to prevent root damage. So I didn't think anything of the comment about using a fan, especially since it appears that the person is only "hitting them on the bounce," as it were, instead of pointing one directly at the seedlings. But if the incoming air is cool enough, it certainly wouldn't be helping things.

BtW, I've had "floppy" seedlings for various reasons - laziness (didn't want to have to adjust low-wattage lights on a daily basis), inconvenience (couldn't guarantee that I'd be home to adjust them), uncertainty (using a light that's really more powerful than I needed for seedlings and, therefore, was afraid to place it too close - and ended up erring in the other direction), et cetera. But they always seemed to pull through, although some got a little more leggy than usual (which wasn't really a bad thing). I've been known to slit plastic drinking straws along their length and use cut-to-fit pieces as "crutches" - I could gently slip one around a seedling and (again, gently) press it into the medium; it didn't restrict growth or air circulation (overmuch), and could be removed at any time.

I hope you get to the root of your issue. Speaking of which, have you pulled any out and inspected their young root systems to see if there were any obvious clues?

Hmm, my copy & paste lost your color preference. Whoops...

It’s just one of my many affectations..
:cool:

Are you thinking the temperature of the air that's hitting them might be too cold?

Yes, the cooler air is one thing, but the downdraft is the main thing. I’ve seen many a young seedling get flattened by wind.

I wouldn’t worry too much about strengthening the stems until you see at least a couple sets of leaves. If you must bother it before then, you can push it gently with your finger. :)
:surf:

I get lanky seedling syndrome because of my 11/13 light schedule. I dont have a regular fan in the tent, just the passive intake and the filtered exhaust. I don't mess with them much, but I still get leaners. Thing is, even the ones that tip over survive.

I agree that the down draft might be the culprit.

Thanks everyone! Yes I've looked at the roots and they looked good to me. Maybe I didn't have the cfl's close enough the first couple a days? I thought they were fairly close but no doubt they probably could have used more light. I've had the led since Sunday and had it 18" above them since Monday and a few are nice and squat. Maybe they had a better spot among the cfls? Ugh. I'll get there. Good news, they were still upright when I got home. I turned off the clip on fan on the roof. It wasn't blowing directly on them, but still yet. Thanks for the tidbit about the straws, ingenious. I expect to clear this hurdle and the ones yet to come. I suppose it's how I'll get it all dialed in. I have several that look good and more seeds. I'm thinking I may have some old bag seeds from a few years ago. Think maybe this weekend I'll give those a try if I can find them. Get my germination/seedling technique down. Ha. Anyways thanks again everyone I do so appreciate all your help. :)

Some shots of the GG4s1 grown in hempy. About a month or so in the jar.
IMG_20181210_171939.jpg
IMG_20181210_172241.jpg

Trying for a prize with those shots Buck? :goodjob:

Now I ask you, was growing excellent cannabis ever so easy or fun? :battingeyelashes:

Are you still preserving fan leaves from your plants? That one looks like it's begging for it, lol (I realize it's not yours; I just happened to think of such things when I read your comment).

I'll be continuing the policy of saving leaves to document the grows TS.

TorturedSoul said:
I've been known to slit plastic drinking straws along their length and use cut-to-fit pieces as "crutches" - I could gently slip one around a seedling and (again, gently) press it into the medium; it didn't restrict growth or air circulation (overmuch), and could be removed at any time.

Huh! Neat idea. More work than using a bread bag twist tie though. Lol! The straw would work better in perlite than a twist tie would. I don't often have this problem since I left soil for perlite.

Thanks everyone! Yes I've looked at the roots and they looked good to me. Maybe I didn't have the cfl's close enough the first couple a days? I thought they were fairly close but no doubt they probably could have used more light. I've had the led since Sunday and had it 18" above them since Monday and a few are nice and squat. Maybe they had a better spot among the cfls? Ugh. I'll get there. Good news, they were still upright when I got home. I turned off the clip on fan on the roof. It wasn't blowing directly on them, but still yet. Thanks for the tidbit about the straws, ingenious. I expect to clear this hurdle and the ones yet to come. I suppose it's how I'll get it all dialed in. I have several that look good and more seeds. I'm thinking I may have some old bag seeds from a few years ago. Think maybe this weekend I'll give those a try if I can find them. Get my germination/seedling technique down. Ha. Anyways thanks again everyone I do so appreciate all your help. :)

We called it "weed" in part because it grows with the vigor of common spontaneous vegetation. Most often demise of a seedling is due to our forgetting that Mother Nature worked this out long before us and the seeds and seedlings know what to do. I'm as bad about hovering over seeds as the next person. Lol!

Yes, I sure am. In my world the pros outweigh the cons.

Indeed they do. :high-five: The idea is to avoid the black market. Any viable method to achieve that end is fair game to me. You're probably getting a different quality oil. Someday we'll have the technology to compare without bankrupting our families. Lol!

Huh! Neat idea. More work than using a bread bag twist tie though. Lol! The straw would work better in perlite than a twist tie would. I don't often have this problem since I left soil for perlite.

Somewhat debatable. You don't have to bother with removing the slit straw - the plant will just spread it open if/when it grows thick enough. (Although I always removed them after a few days.)

Indeed they do. :high-five: The idea is to avoid the black market. Any viable method to achieve that end is fair game to me. You're probably getting a different quality oil. Someday we'll have the technology to compare without bankrupting our families. Lol!

I think yield is about all that I lose. I imagine terpene profiles are different, but the potency is spot on. The last sativa I grew was more potent and tasted better than anything in the stores here, that is according to me, my wife, 3 neighbors, and a visitor from downtown. But...

I wonder if it is (partly at least) because I hardly take the time to do a perfect bud manicure thereby leaving trichomes relatively unmolested. Store buds are mostly machine trimmed so we end up with half of what we pay for.

It’s come to my attention that there’s a nutrient sale some may be interested in. :battingeyelashes:

Hiya SweetSue,

I just found out about the 'zon has a 50% sale on RX Tech nutrients. I thought the info might be of benefit to you and/or other hempy growers. Cheers

I think yield is about all that I lose. I imagine terpene profiles are different, but the potency is spot on. The last sativa I grew was more potent and tasted better than anything in the stores here, that is according to me, my wife, 3 neighbors, and a visitor from downtown. But...

I wonder if it is (partly at least) because I hardly take the time to do a perfect bud manicure thereby leaving trichomes relatively unmolested. Store buds are mostly machine trimmed so we end up with half of what we pay for.

I'm gentle with my buds too, as are most of our :420: neighbors. The buds sold in dispensaries are sad looking, aren't they? Kinda breaks my heart to see how beat up they are, and it pisses me off that they steal so many trichomes when they mechanically trim. I personally think mechanically trimmed buds should be sold cheaper.

Of course, I think dispensary prices are supporting the underground market. When medical patients are being charged $20 a gram for medicine there's something rediculously wrong with the system.

BrixNewb and I have been playing with germinating seeds in hempy solo cups. Perlite is always soaked in 1/4-strength nutrients, and this appears to be a necessary step. When Brix tried without that soak he came away 0/3. Since following the soak guideline we're running 100% successful get inactions.

The first time we did so after I got here we had no domes, so we used packing tape instead.

In order to make that happen we only filled the cups a bit more than halfway. With autos that means the seedling gets transplanted into her finished pot on day 2, to give her time to grow support roots before the roots hit the reservoir and they start flowering.

Photos we've simply flooded, lifted, and backfilled to give them more depth for their seedling stage.

All three of these plants were started in solo cup hempies and all three came up in three days, the apparent standard for this method of germination.

My latest came up this morning, 2.5 days in. :battingeyelashes:

Brix decided to clean the process up and purchased a pack of lids. We may need to tape off the straw hole, but I got a feeling this is gonna be a good thing.

Five hempy babes in the garden today, these three above in veg, (Carnival 6 on the left, 2 DDAs on the right) and the Royal Gorilla and Candy Cane finishing up their first month in flower.

Sure am glad I found hempy. :battingeyelashes:

The buds sold in dispensaries are sad looking, aren't they? Kinda breaks my heart to see how beat up they are, and it pisses me off that they steal so many trichomes when they mechanically trim. I personally think mechanically trimmed buds should be sold cheaper.
Since the recreational stores opened up here, I rarely see real frost on the buds. I have an over priced black market guy that can deliver the frostiest and stickiest buds around, but I simply can't afford $120oz.

Sadder yet is the state of affairs regarding concentrates. I bring home bho from the store and the stuff is flammable. I have to purge the residual butane in my oven to be able to dab it.. maybe I am sensitive, but a bic lighter shouldn't immediately ignite hash oil

BrixNewb and I have been playing with germinating seeds in hempy solo cups. Perlite is always soaked in 1/4-strength nutrients, and this appears to be a necessary step. When Brix tried without that soak he came away 0/3. Since following the soak guideline we're running 100% successful get inactions.

The first time we did so after I got here we had no domes, so we used packing tape instead.

In order to make that happen we only filled the cups a bit more than halfway. With autos that means the seedling gets transplanted into her finished pot on day 2, to give her time to grow support roots before the roots hit the reservoir and they start flowering.

Photos we've simply flooded, lifted, and backfilled to give them more depth for their seedling stage.

All three of these plants were started in solo cup hempies and all three came up in three days, the apparent standard for this method of germination.

My latest came up this morning, 2.5 days in. :battingeyelashes:

Brix decided to clean the process up and purchased a pack of lids. We may need to tape off the straw hole, but I got a feeling this is gonna be a good thing.

Five hempy babes in the garden today, these three above in veg, (Carnival 6 on the left, 2 DDAs on the right) and the Royal Gorilla and Candy Cane finishing up their first month in flower.

Sure am glad I found hempy. :battingeyelashes:

Ok so yer soaking the perlite, are u taping the hole untill they sprout, or just soak then untape and popin the seeds in
I assume seed in about 1/2" or so???

I'm gonna be popping about 30 seeds soon so am starting my planning now, not sure I'll do water soak and paper towels on em all or not but pretty sure the majority will be grown in Hempy

I've stopped doing the paper towel thing. If I'm already soaking in water... I can pour back and forth into / out of another container to aerate it, and/or add H₂O₂ for the same purpose.

Back
Top Bottom