Hempy Headquarters

Many use perlite with vermiculite (3 or 4:1), especially if the environment is very dry, since the vermiculite will hold moisture.

But vermiculite breaks down over time into a finer sludge-like texture, which can adversely affect the natural wicking of perlite.

The height of this wicking has been reported as about 8”, which is well within the root system in most hempy containers. In my experience, 100% perlite is sufficient.
:passitleft:

ya I've never been attracted to vermiculite but I do have this thing for dirt, but wife not so much when it comes indoors. Do you go with the fine or coarse perlite?

I plug the hole with my finger and fill the cup to the top of the perlite with 1/4-strength nutrient water. Then I let it drain naturally, poke a hole and drop the seed, carefully covering with perlite. Top with something that’ll hold moisture in and not restrict light and walk away. Three days later a seedling is born. :battingeyelashes:

I was thinking that a smallish rockwool cube would be a good moisture-holder .... have you ever tried pro-mix? It would be nice to avoid cleaning the perlite where a large pot was in use, but not sure if the peat moss would retain salts and become unsuitable for re-use.

I don’t recall anyone using pro-mix for hempy, but coco has been used successfully. Peat moss does retain a lot of water (and probably salts). Fungus gnats love it too. I’ve never had them in perlite.
:ganjamon:

Looks like green to me. Cannabis is weird, I think it might harden up if left unfettered. I have had my roots at the top of the pot start showing, I dont do anything about it, and after a time they harden like stems including the green color.
I have.... plenty. Happens in tiny containers often.
Even in my 1.5g PVC tubes I'd get a root sneaking out now and then. In my 5g pots I'm seeing it even more often.
Sneaky little roots.
I like the roots that get exposed on top and then turn into branch looking growth like GanjaGrower mentioned.... those are fun. Usually all twisty and knob-ish.
Always get some green algae when the plants are small and all the light gets to the perlite or as this one did the root itself. I goes away as the canopy fills in with leaves. It freaked me out the first time for sure, as all I thought was "Mold" and than mold = bad. But once I understood that it was the light in the tent causing this not actual bacteria I had a sigh of relief. If you cover your perlite with a light barrier it will go away same goes for my drip tray.

I ran across a good example of the top roots greening, thought of y'all, and took a shot today.

@SweetSue You do sequential cloning, yes? Cloning clones and then cloning those clones to make a successive line? If so, have you noticed any change in the plant over time?

I’ve noticed no degredation BigBear, but I’ve only carried it out about five runs at the longest. However.... Hash Hound’s friend, the Klone King, has been sequentially cloning a couple lines for many years, and HH regularly brings those clones to marvelous harvests. I know of others who’ve successfully kept lines going too. I never worry about it, as long as the starting genetics were solid.

I’ve noticed no degredation BigBear, but I’ve only carried it out about five runs at the longest. However.... Hash Hound’s friend, the Klone King, has been sequentially cloning a couple lines for many years, and HH regularly brings those clones to marvelous harvests. I know of others who’ve successfully kept lines going too. I never worry about it, as long as the starting genetics were solid.
That was my thinking as well. If we were doing huge production, like they do for poinsettias, with multiple thousands of clones, we may start to see variation in genetic expression, but on our scale, probably won’t happen for quite a few generations.

I was thinking that a smallish rockwool cube would be a good moisture-holder .... have you ever tried pro-mix? It would be nice to avoid cleaning the perlite where a large pot was in use, but not sure if the peat moss would retain salts and become unsuitable for re-use.

I think you’re looking at some kind of PITA for cleanup no matter what, but I’ve tried both, and for me perlite won out for weight consideration alone.

I knock the perlite free from the roots with as little breakage as possible and toss the roots, - I’ll stop doing that if our discovery that roots are higher in CBD than anyone thought pans out over more testing - then soak the perlite for a few days, changing the water out for new every now and then. I reclaim most of the perlite this way.

I clone in Rapid Rooters, and I’ve started seeds in them in the past. The technique of germinating in a hempy solo cup has been so successful that it’s convinced me that’s the way to start a seed from now on.

Just like a baby tree. :yummy:

I know what you mean. :battingeyelashes:

I think you’re looking at some kind of PITA for cleanup no matter what, but I’ve tried both, and for me perlite won out for weight consideration alone.

I knock the perlite free from the roots with as little breakage as possible and toss the roots, - I’ll stop doing that if our discovery that roots are higher in CBD than anyone thought pans out over more testing - then soak the perlite for a few days, changing the water out for new every now and then. I reclaim most of the perlite this way.

I clone in Rapid Rooters, and I’ve started seeds in them in the past. The technique of germinating in a hempy solo cup has been so successful that it’s convinced me that’s the way to start a seed from now on.
I'm guessing some perlite is cleaner/dustier than others and you get what you pay for but I will go first round with an all perlite grow I think it will only be 2 hempy pots .

I need first grow to be finished by May so I can veg some outdoor plants under the LED until mid June. I'm trying to decide how many auto fem to plant first, I have 5 autofem seeds and am thinking about staggering them several days or a week apart .... first 2 classy lassies will get the lamp and if I'm lucky I'll have a couple left for later...2 plants should give me all the smoke I need to get to the next harvest unless problems come up. It will be a challenging grow due to humidity and even temp and I will have to commute about 35 miles to tend to them until I move back home in April or May, so great that gas prices have come down. The seeds are Tangerine Dream auto so should finish in less than 3 months which makes target planting date in about 6 weeks.... they may be in for a stressful time, hopefully that would just make them stronger. Weeds are so cool.

Cloning clones and then cloning those clones to make a successive line? If so, have you noticed any change in the plant over time?

I think it's @Hash Hound who has cloned the clone from clone like 30 times with a White Widow strain. He might be a good person to ask if he noticed any degradation over time. But I have to think if he's done it like 30 times it must still be pretty darn good or he would have stopped by now?

Dark devil beasting compared to the photo girls.

I just sprouted a couple GelatOG seeds. Yours are from @SeedsMan yes? I have not seen anyone else selling this strain other then SeedsMan. It's a strain I've been wanting to grow for several months now. I hope they grow up to fit the description on the breeders site.

I think it's @Hash Hound who has cloned the clone from clone like 30 times with a White Widow strain. He might be a good person to ask if he noticed any degradation over time. But I have to think if he's done it like 30 times it must still be pretty darn good or he would have stopped by now?

I've been thru years of generations of clone lines. While I might not be the most observant dude in the world, I've never noticed long term degradation or any other changes.

Back
Top Bottom