Hempy Headquarters

Ok so yer soaking the perlite, are u taping the hole untill they sprout, or just soak then untape and popin the seeds in
I assume seed in about 1/2" or so???

I'm gonna be popping about 30 seeds soon so am starting my planning now, not sure I'll do water soak and paper towels on em all or not but pretty sure the majority will be grown in Hempy

I plug the hole with my finger and fill the cup to the top of the perlite with 1/4-strength nutrient water. Then I let it drain naturally, poke a hole and drop the seed, carefully covering with perlite. Top with something that’ll hold moisture in and not restrict light and walk away. Three days later a seedling is born. :battingeyelashes:

So I watered in a hurry on Christmas eve and let the cups to drain. I looked at them this morning and found this. If you look closely at the drain hole you can see a root that shot out and headed for the run off. This is Blue Ripper (Blueberry x Jack the Ripper
IMG_20181226_054144.jpg

Is it just my poor color-challenged eyesight, or is that root GREEN?
Looks like green to me. Cannabis is weird, I think it might harden up if left unfettered. I have had my roots at the top of the pot start showing, I dont do anything about it, and after a time they harden like stems including the green color.

That was my guess, but I'd never seen it like that before.

I have.... plenty. Happens in tiny containers often.
Even in my 1.5g PVC tubes I'd get a root sneaking out now and then. In my 5g pots I'm seeing it even more often.
Sneaky little roots.
I like the roots that get exposed on top and then turn into branch looking growth like GanjaGrower mentioned.... those are fun. Usually all twisty and knob-ish.

Always get some green algae when the plants are small and all the light gets to the perlite or as this one did the root itself. I goes away as the canopy fills in with leaves. It freaked me out the first time for sure, as all I thought was "Mold" and than mold = bad. But once I understood that it was the light in the tent causing this not actual bacteria I had a sigh of relief. If you cover your perlite with a light barrier it will go away same goes for my drip tray.

I stopped worrying about the green like Buck, after the first run.

Hempy rocks!

It's also insidiously tempting. BrixNewb grows some of the largest, most consistently, beautifully, bountifully frosty plants I've had the pleasure to spend time around. They look me in the eye, and have buds like I've never seen. Lol!

He can't resist the pull of at least trying. In a small corner of his veg tent filled with kit beauties is a slowly growing hempy presence that're his responsibility. :battingeyelashes:

My girls take up the back corner, 2 DDAs and Carnival 6.

On Sunday Carnival 6 gets upcanned into the big pot and flipped.

The DDA has to wait until I return from visiting beez. I'll get to see another hempy garden. :yahoo: I like this traveling habit.

wow. Better late than never... I think this hempy grow approach may be the best bet for my auto plants. You guys rock.

:welcome: vtwin906. :hug: I think you'll be very happy with the choice, but why stop at autos? :battingeyelashes: The best advice on growing autos in hempy is plant them into their finish pot, or transplant within the first three days.

You can't be late to this party. It never stops. :slide:

:welcome: vtwin906. :hug: I think you'll be very happy with the choice, but why stop at autos? :battingeyelashes: The best advice on growing autos in hempy is plant them into their finish pot, or transplant within the first three days.

You can't be late to this party. It never stops. :slide:

Thanks Sue. Since legalization here last month my head has been filled with weedy thoughts. This hempy approach is something such as I was thinking about, more along the lines of still using some soil but having the perlite mixed up around 75% ....

Many use perlite with vermiculite (3 or 4:1), especially if the environment is very dry, since the vermiculite will hold moisture.

But vermiculite breaks down over time into a finer sludge-like texture, which can adversely affect the natural wicking of perlite.

The height of this wicking has been reported as about 8”, which is well within the root system in most hempy containers. In my experience, 100% perlite is sufficient.
:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom