Hempy Headquarters

How’s those 5gal buckets doing? I was inspired by your latest pics and picked up a few 3.5gal buckets myself (I usually use 2gal). I don’t have the headroom for 5s, but want larger plants this round.

They seem a good fit so far. I haven't finished one yet, tho many are in bloom. Height issues seem OK so far... still eyeing the situation.
Not many folk have the room for 5gal. Unless you've got a monster tent, you're much better off with smaller pots in tents or other small spaces. 3.5 is pretty damn huge.

What is a good size pot? I picked up 3 gallon buckets for when I go full hempy. For getting my feet wet I used 2L bottles since I’m going to flip them quickly

My tent is 2x4x5. Growing indicas and soon to start hybrids. Planning on topping after the 4th node. Will they get too big?

I believe that many folks use 1 gallon containers. I only have a 5 foot ceiling so minus the light clearance and pot height, 1 gallon is too big for my tent, I had to supercrop a DDA... I had a Sativa in a 40oz hempy that went to 4 feet and needed to have the stem violently bent, she kept growing and had to be supported... first world problems.

I am still using aquarium gravel with a 1-2" coco cap in hempys ranging from 12oz-40oz. However after sterilizing and reusing twice, the media is much better off in a standard pot. I like the weight of the gravel in my small containers. The 1 gallon hempy mentioned above weighed 10lbs, before I watered it the first time. Lol, too much.

It's all size driven. Indicas tend to be short and squatty, so lend themselves well to smaller grows as well.
My 12" tall 1.5g pots were good for a 24" tall plant with associated width. That was max tho... the roots were too big at that size. A nice sativa will get taller, but depending on your room height, it will still work nicely.
Handling them when huge can be tricky. They can get mighty top heavy. As the roots get thick, they'll slow down watering as well unless you're using the 1" perlite chunks... not drink less, just takes longer to get the water thru a root packed pot.

I've recently made the jump from 1.5gal to 5gal. Plant size goes way the hell up and I think I'm growing things too big... but hey.... grower problems.

My tent is a 2ftx4ftx5ft and I found that I could not fit 8- 3 gallon buckets inside. I learned this during a grow and had to kill 2 plants without knowing sex (still bummed about that). I mocked up 6- 3 gallons and they worked but I was uncomfortable with how close the bucket needed to be together. I opted for some 2 gallons with a pour spout that they had at the dollar store.As you can see in the attachment it did allow for some room and the plants could get to a respectable size.This was at 12 days of flower.
IMG_20181012_054051.jpg

And now this is where I am headed
IMG_20190104_173207.jpg

Slightly less medium in the containers and about 3 inches higher to the top of that medium. The last 2 runs I still had room to raise the light if need be so the height should be manageable. I could see myself taking 10 females to harvest with this layout. These on the other hand still need to be sexed and culled down. At some point this year I will try the full 10 girls and see how that goes.

what is the consensus regarding the use of vinegar for a ph down adjustment?

My single pre-soaked seed has opened in approx 40hrs with a tiny root peeking out, I can hardly contain my excitement :yahoo: .... I think I will give it another day then transfer from the paper towels to the solo cup. I've been reading that lower temps encourage gender identity towards female so score +1 for the harsh environment here.

Essentials Black Plastic Oval Wastebaskets, 7 Qt. from "Dollar Tree"

Can you measure their maximum length and width, please (thanks!)?

Can you measure their maximum length and width, please (thanks!)?
10"h x 6"w x (8.5" tapered to 6.25")length. These things only cost me a dollar each and can be found on the dollar tree website. I feel that the 7qt claim is completely accurate based off of perlite/vermiculite I have used to fill them. This is my first run with these containers so I am not sure of results using them. I will however take the girls in the bunch to harvest with them to find out. Here is an overview shot of the garden from yesterday. I have 5 Blue Rippers(Blueberry x Jack the Ripper) and 5 SunnyD OG (Tangerine Power x Gogi OG) all normal
IMG_20190111_091007.jpg
seed stock.

Back
Top Bottom