How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

151 anything alcohol. 151 Rum...Vodka?

Benzyl alcohol doesn't sound so bad, does it?

No, not that I read.

No, not that I read.

I didn't read (went and read again) that it had fragrance added, it said it's a fragrant alcohol.
Anything 151? Bacardi do a 151 rum, I think you can get this in the uk.
Thanks for your input ill keep my search going.

Thanks guys, I know where I read that. It's doesn't have a fragrance added, it's used as a fragrance component in cosmetics. From this first line of the abstract at the link on Benzyl Alcohol:

Abstract
Benzyl Alcohol is an aromatic alcohol used in a wide variety of cosmetic formulations as a fragrance component, preservative, solvent, and viscosity-decreasing agent.

Thats what it says. Bit scared after reading that tho, bit of an eye opener. Thanks for the info

Thanks canna. Be a no on this one too then.

Does anybody have any idea of what I can use in the uk? Everclear is not something I can get my hands on.

I have heard they sell Spirytus (190 proof - 95%) and similar potato vodkas in Polish stores.
151 rums (151 proof - 75%) are available ( I checked amazon UK)

Okay guys so i need a damn good help here technically...

1 ounce material (STREET MATERIAL) - 30 GRAMS to be exact used 88% alcohol abt 500ml due to washing and stuff..(FIRST TIME MISTAKES)

Stage 1 - filtered product which was kept in fridge for like 1-2 weeks
Stage 2 - Evaporating alcohol
Stage 3 - Decarb

IT STINKS VERY VERY BAD WHEN DECARBING (STAGE 3) !!!!! IT WAS A HUGE LET DOWN FOR ME !!! DUE TO NEIGHBOURS... But there was no problem.
==============================
So
Here are the pics and the question i want to ask
011.png

021.png

031.png

04.png

05307.JPG

06188.JPG

So i as per my unerstanding i didn't crossed 250 F mark in any stage
was closly monitoring.

1 ounce material - 30 GRAMS to be exact used 88% alcohol abt 500ml due to washing and stuff..(FIRST TIME MISTAKES)

As you can see to remove the oil properly from the 1st vessel (stage 1). i have to add a little alcohol. That is why you see the decarbing process contain more oil that it is actually is. As i started decarbing i went till 180 - 250 F or below. It was smelling HORRIBLE ! The Smell was so dense that i got a headache instantly. The smell was roaming around outside my place on the road... The activity of the bubble completely stopped 30hr before and still i was giving heat. I guess it was completed under 210 F mark still i went for 250 F ?

In the end the oil came out very low. The thin layer was like TAR litterly TAR..
I used the Metal spoon (other plain side as in the image) to scrape it off from the bottom of the small vessel of decarbing.
it feels like it was like burned and sticked to the bottom... It was stinking so much that i panicked and i thought to stop it all...and i was not able to collect it...

So while heating i added OLIVE OIL half the amt of the cannabis oil that is 1:2 ration 1 - olive oil 2 is for cannabis oil...
Still nada the SYRINGE got blocked due to it.. and the oil stuck in the mouth of the syringe...

So what i did is heated coconut oil and @ 250 F mark i added it. 1:1 ration of the oil

So there is more coconut and olive oil than cannabis... i.e 1:3 - 1 part cannabis oil and 3 part for other oil

Question

1) How to avoid the stage 3 stinking cannbis burning smell !!!!! and still evaporate the residual alcohol.
2) So can anyone comment ? Can i use this oil for TOPICAL ALSO INGESTING ? if yes than how should i start with lowest amt ? 1:3 ratio oil...
3) What should be done next time to get the HARD TAR LIKE OIL FROM THE SAUCE PAN ?
4) I guess decarbing in my case was completed under 210 F mark still i went for 250 F is it okay ? or shall i avoid it ?
5) ANY MORE SUGGESTION WILL BE HELPFULLL

I know i can't use this for taking... But how to use it please suggest.
This was a test.. I will test more as mistakes always come in first time but i learn from them..

Altainta, thank you so much for sharing, not only your experience, but the photos as well. I haven't done my first batch yet and your transparency will be an invaluable learning tool.

Altainta,
Thanks so much for taking the time to do the pictures! I'm sorry that it didn't come out the way you had hoped.
It appears to me in your description that you let it cook down too far. If it won't go into the syringe without sticking, or is a "hard" tar like consistency, it got reduced too much.

I'm not one to know exactly how to "repair" it from there, so I'll leave that to people who have more experience with it, but I'm thinking you could have added some solvent to it and let it mix in there gradually.
However, since you now have the olive oil and coconut oil in there, it's probably going to be more useful as a topical creme additive or some other kind of topical application. There would be no problem with ingestion in some way, because you don't have any non food grade items in it. Keep in mind, this is highly concentrated. It's not like cannabutter, it's going to be far more potent. :)

I just did a batch myself that was cooked down too far (error with the wrong alcohol and too much water content) and loosened it up by adding a little solvent (everclear) to it and mixing it very well. It took a little time, but it did make it a more liquid consistency. I used that in some creme base for a pain creme.

We have a discussion going about the cremes and lotions right now on the oilers united thread, that might be an option for you to use this batch.

I'm not sure what you can do about the smell, other than some kind of exhaust fan over your area with a carbon filter....maybe others can suggest something on that.

Don't worry on this, the first time making it is always the test run as you said. Mistakes are how we learn for sure. :) The good news is that you got through the first one and you are on your way to the next with more knowledge.

I'm sure someone else will post with more information for you.

:thumb:

Altainta,
Thanks so much for taking the time to do the pictures! I'm sorry that it didn't come out the way you had hoped.
It appears to me in your description that you let it cook down too far. If it won't go into the syringe without sticking, or is a "hard" tar like consistency, it got reduced too much.

I'm not one to know exactly how to "repair" it from there, so I'll leave that to people who have more experience with it, but I'm thinking you could have added some solvent to it and let it mix in there gradually.
However, since you now have the olive oil and coconut oil in there, it's probably going to be more useful as a topical creme additive or some other kind of topical application. There would be no problem with ingestion in some way, because you don't have any non food grade items in it. Keep in mind, this is highly concentrated. It's not like cannabutter, it's going to be far more potent. :)

I just did a batch myself that was cooked down too far (error with the wrong alcohol and too much water content) and loosened it up by adding a little solvent (everclear) to it and mixing it very well. It took a little time, but it did make it a more liquid consistency. I used that in some creme base for a pain creme.

We have a discussion going about the cremes and lotions right now on the oilers united thread, that might be an option for you to use this batch.

I'm not sure what you can do about the smell, other than some kind of exhaust fan over your area with a carbon filter....maybe others can suggest something on that.

Don't worry on this, the first time making it is always the test run as you said. Mistakes are how we learn for sure. :) The good news is that you got through the first one and you are on your way to the next with more knowledge.

I'm sure someone else will post with more information for you.

:thumb:

Thank you very much for the response.

I didn't cooked it too much because i saw people saying to keep it on coffee warmer for 12hrs or 24hrs etc. But i got my done in max 30min... May be because of 200 - 250 heat ?
Also one of my friend tried 1 drop of the oil (NO COCONUT OIL ONLY OLIVE+CANNABIS 1:1 RATIO) still he didn't feel anything NOTHING !!! EVEN AFTER 12 HRS...

So my question

Did i undercooked it ? or did i overcooked it ? because there is no sedative effect in it !!!

My guess is it didn't decarbed so i will keep it 110 deg c in oven for 1 hr to test if it will decarbs with double foil method ofcource for the smell !!!!

And ya regarding the smell there is a way in which we can decarb without smell.. But only problem is the alcohol or the solvent evaporation needs open air.
Check out badkittysmiles decarb method in youtube and you will know different method of decarbing the starting material... What i mean is good ways.

If you do 151, just make sure it is clear. The color is added. I have used Spirytus Vodka and I prefer it to Everclear.

Here is a link for Spirytus on-line. I got it there once.

WJ
:ciao:

:rip: Paul Kantner :rip:
Don't get that high quality vodka in here (if you are addressing me). max 80 - 90 proof

Altainta, thank you so much for sharing, not only your experience, but the photos as well. I haven't done my first batch yet and your transparency will be an invaluable learning tool.

Hi SweetSue...
My word of advice to you. Don't wait for harvest for experiment. Buy some street product atleast 3 ounce and make 3 experiment batch with them. It is far more efficient to waste while experimenting with street product than directly experimenting on the home grown product. ALSO DOCUMENT EVERYTHING TO AVOID RELEARNING.
Start Immediately but with planning. I think it is far more easier to produce oil than grow your own buds!! . As it takes a lot of care and it is totally different field !!

Suggestion for you (AS i was also on the same road as you)
1) Just buy a DISTILLER (water/oil). (As everclear will be very costly but still for first time everclear is gr8 if you can buy in your country)
2) Put some high proof vodka in it... Distill to abt 88 - 94. (or avoid if you have everclear)
3) Start as motoco said but on street product (how to make oil thread first page).
4) Have a rice cooker and a hotplate (adjustable). Some glasswares, freezers,funnels,coffee strainer,tissues,cheese cloth,wooden stick to crush,steel strainers,freezer etc thats its it. You are done.

My two cents.

It never even occurred to me to start with a street purchase. If I was just experimenting, why would it be necessary to start with an ounce? Can anyone give me a good reason why it can't be done with a smaller volume of cannabis?

I live in PA. I can't get anything over 160 proof without securing a permit from the state, something that's definately not going to happen. The best I'll be able to get is Everclear 151. John just posted tonight that more water in the solvent produces lower quality oil. I was just reading a recent post (Jan 15, 2016) on Skunk Pharm about Isopropyl alcohol. I gather this is frowned upon, but the poster makes some very valid points about the safety of choosing this solvent.

Can I get some clarification on why this is considered unacceptable? After all, properly made CCO shouldn't have any residue in it, is that not correct?

Back
Top Bottom