How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

IMG_199414197837214.jpeg

I have also been using the oven decarb method. No issues at all, and I've done it 4 times now. I do pretty much the same thing as Motoco described, except I didn't use the microwave timer (good tip!). I can't hear that oven timer, but the microwave is audible for me.

I really like the oven method, and I agree with Motoco on the important point of it being vented.

:thumb:

Edit: Just wanted to add that I have been using the oven decarb method for adding cannabis to my edibles for a few months now. That works great too.

Hi Cannafan,

I wanted to mention; when you miss your daytime dose and still dose at night it unbalances the system and leans towards the nighttime Indica. That is why you noticed when taking the daytime again you didn't feel as energetic. Once regulated again, all is well.

Here's my Concentrated oil that I made from the tincture I had. This is about 3/4 cup, maybe a bit more than that, of tincture that had been reduced to oil concentrate. It's thick like axle grease. I've been on my dosages since last Friday, increasing gradually on my daytime dose. I'm up to about two grains of short rice. I forgot to bring my oil with me yesterday to work and about 4:00 I could tell that I needed that "booster", because the pain in my mouth from a nasty dental visit on Tuesday was bothering me. And I got that nausea and lethargic feeling back. So no more missing doses. LOL
My nighttime doses are working very well. I sleep through the night, no waking up with pain and nausea and no dreaming of pain and nausea. ;-)
If this is what it's like after just shy of a week using this oil, I can only imagine what I will feel like after it's settled into a routine in my body.

Cannabis_Oil6.jpg

I forgot to say, there is no High on the daytime doses. That's what worried me the most, because I have to stay clear headed during working hours. No worries on that now. :thumb:

In the process of doing my first oven decarb to provide feedback regarding safety/efficacy. In regards to safety, I've actually chosen to use the least safe method (don't do this at home) to prove that I won't blow up and thereby hopefully prove that food grade will be completely safe given the appropriate precautions. First I made sure I have a working Class B fire extinguisher on hand..

*Insert extremely dangerous "scientific" "experiment" here* :skeptical:

I was able to decarb in oven without blowing myself up. Hopefully this brings 420 one step closer to endorsing the oven method using proper procedure which would include adequate ventilation, food grade carrier such as Spirytus or Everclear, and a solid surface to place the measuring cup on to avoid spills, and a class B fire extinguisher at the ready throughout the process.

I would just like to clarify this Oven Decarbing method.

When you talk of using an oven, you are venting a flammable vapour into a room.

Just because no-one walked into the kitchen and lit up a joint which caused an explosion when you did it,

doesn't mean that there is no danger of that happening to someone else.

The fact that you survived does not make it safe and how would a fire extinguisher help if you did blow up? :scratchinghead:

The video posted advises grinding, filling an oven bag, tying it and placing this on a double boiler before extraction.

I think this is an excellent way of decarbing before extraction and trapping terpenes, not getting blown up, etc.

[video=youtube;SEa9a1riXl8]
[/video]

Correct me if I am wrong, but Cajuncelt uses an oven bag with dry trim in the oven before extraction.

IMG_199414197837214.jpeg

I think decarbing before extraction is the way to go. again, please correct me if I am wrong here.

:Namaste:

Hi RicoRico,

Its my understanding that doing the decarb prior is for edibles, etc. I personally have never done a decarb prior to making a concentrate. We had a chart somewhere that said what did what and for concentrated oil it was after the oil was cooked down. The oven bag was for his trim, not the concentrate. I get all my information just on making extracts from trusted sources and I have never seen a prior decarb when making extracts, just for edibles. I still prefer the double boiler method anyway.

I would just like to clarify this Oven Decarbing method.

When you talk of using an oven, you are venting a flammable vapour into a room.

Just because no-one walked into the kitchen and lit up a joint which caused an explosion when you did it,

doesn't mean that there is no danger of that happening to someone else.

The fact that you survived does not make it safe and how would a fire extinguisher help if you did blow up? :scratchinghead:

The video posted advises grinding, filling an oven bag, tying it and placing this on a double boiler before extraction.

I think this is an excellent way of decarbing before extraction and trapping terpenes, not getting blown up, etc.

[video=youtube;SEa9a1riXl8]
[/video]

Correct me if I am wrong, but Cajuncelt uses an oven bag with dry trim in the oven before extraction.

IMG_199414197837214.jpeg

I think decarbing before extraction is the way to go. again, please correct me if I am wrong here.

:Namaste:

Thanks for your reply, 420 Motoco :)

What is the difference in decarbing for edibles and decarbing for concentrates?

Was the concentrate that he made from the trim tested? or the trim itself?

Hi RicoRico,

Its my understanding that doing the decarb prior is for edibles, etc. I personally have never done a decarb prior to making a concentrate. We had a chart somewhere that said what did what and for concentrated oil it was after the oil was cooked down. The oven bag was for his trim, not the concentrate. I get all my information just on making extracts from trusted sources and I have never seen a prior decarb when making extracts, just for edibles. I still prefer the double boiler method anyway.

This is how they do it for Sativex :geek:

Extraction of pharmaceutically active components from plant materials - GW Pharma Limited

The decarboxylation step may be carried out prior to or after extraction

In a preferred embodiment the decarboxylation step is carried out prior to extraction with liquid CO2 and is conducted by heating the plant material to temperatures and for times which ensure at least 95% conversion of the acid cannabinoids from the acid form to their neutral form whilst ensuring thermal degradation of THC to CBN is less than 10%.

Decarboxylation of cannabinoid acids is a function of time and temperature, thus at higher temperatures a shorter period of time will be taken for complete decarboxylation of a given amount of cannabinoid acid. In selecting appropriate conditions for decarboxylation consideration must, however, be given to minimising thermal degradation of the desirable, pharmacological cannabinoids into undesirable degradation products, particularly thermal degradation of THC to cannabinol (CBN).

Preferably, decarboxylation is carried out in a multi-step heating process in which the plant material is:

i) heated to a first temperature for a first (relatively short) time period to evaporate off retained water and allow for uniform heating of the plant material; and

ii) the temperature is increased to a second temperature for a second time period (typically longer than the first time period) until at least 95% conversion of the acid cannabinoids to their neutral form has occurred.
Preferably the first step is conducted at a temperature in the range of 100° C. to 110° C. for 10–20 minutes. More preferably the first temperature is about 105° C. and the first time period is about 15 minutes.

If the plant material is derived from cannabis plants having a high CBD content (defined as >90% CBD as a percentage of total cannabinoid content), the second temperature is preferably in the range from 115° C. to 125° C., preferably about 120° C. and the second time period is in the range from 45 to 75 minutes, preferably about 60 minutes. More preferably the second temperature is in the range from 135° C. to 145° C., preferably 140° C. and the second time period is in the range from 15 to 45 minutes, preferably about 30 minutes. In another embodiment, most preferred for a mass of plant material greater than 4 kg, the second temperature is in the range from 140° C. to 150° C., preferably 145° C. and the second time period is in the range from 55–90 minutes. The latter conditions are preferred for processing amounts of, for example, 4–6 kg of starting plant material and the exact figures, particularly time, may vary slightly with increased mass.

If the plant material is derived from cannabis plants having a high THC content (defined as >90% THC as a percentage of total cannabinoid content), the second temperature is preferably in the range of 115° C. to 125° C., typically 120° C., and the second time period is preferably in the range of 45 minutes to 75 minutes, typically about 60 minutes. More preferably the second temperature is in the range of 100° C. to 110° C., typically 105° C., and the second time period is in the range of 60 to 120 minutes. In another embodiment, most preferred for a mass of plant material greater than 4 kg, the second temperature is in the range of 140° C. to 150° C., preferably 145° C., and the second time period is in the range of 45 to 55 minutes.

Most preferably the decarboxylation step is conducted at temperatures and for times which ensure at least 97% conversion of the acid cannabinoids to their neutral form, whilst ensuring thermal degradation of THC to CBN is less than 5%.

The plant material used as the starting material for the extraction process is preferably ground, milled or otherwise processed to give a particle size of less than 2 mm, but preferably greater than 1 mm. Such treatment generally results in improved extraction of cannabinoids from the plant material, as packaging density is improved.

I decarb plant matter before making the oil. I was assured this wouldn't be too much carbox'g even with cooking off the solvent.
As you see, I've had everything tested. I've no time to experiment. I'm getting great results decarbox'g plant 1st, then making the oil.

Hey cajuncelt,

How are you doing Brother? You haven't kept me updated, lol. Hope all is going well with the wife and you. As always, best regards to you both. Certainly hope your attitude is still on the rise. Let me know plz.

Thanks Brother,

420 Motoco

I decarb plant matter before making the oil. I was assured this wouldn't be too much carbox'g even with cooking off the solvent.
As you see, I've had everything tested. I've no time to experiment. I'm getting great results decarbox'g plant 1st, then making the oil.

Doing great bro! Had CT scan last week. Cancer is still there, but just hanging out (no metastasis). The largest tumor on my liver went down to 2.0cm!!!
I haven't had chemo in 10 months, but stage 4 cancer in colon is still "absent" & all blood counts from lab are at awesome levels. I may actually live through this.
Thank you for well,...you & all the questions you deal with. I'm still dosing from your advice.

Decarbox'g thoughts:
As we make the Fully Extracted Cannabis Oil to treat our chronic or terminal illnesses, most of us don't have $5k or more to spend on the equipment for commercial extractions the way the pro's do for BHO, CO2 or whatever.
They do it for $$$, most patients don't.
I know I'm being Capt. Obvious.
But, we risk a lot in every way just growing. I know our 420 admins are needing an acceptable & safe method.

Can you let me know your thoughts Morocco? Should I not decarb prior to making the oil?
I know you don't, but do you that I should stop?
PM if needed. I don't have the time to be wrong & goof this up. Well, looks like I might, but you know what I mean.
As far as decarbox'g the oil w/ Ever clear in the oven, I've been in too many bars with Flaming Dr. Peppers while smoking a cigar 1" away from my Laphroaig single malt after eating grandma's rum cake or whatever food cooked with moonshine (I'm Cajun remember) to be too wary of a tiny amount of alcohol in 250°f.
Famous last words...lol

First off congratulations on your improved status. Just keep in mind your taking your meds properly now and you are also healing from chemo damage. It looks like a huge improvement to me brother! Your outlook seems very bright in my opinion. I'm happier than hell just seeing the difference in attitude the past couple of months. Your doing everything right, just keep grinding Brother.

Decarb; I've reviewed how you decarb prior to making the oil. When I seen what you do at the end of making your concentrate your just probably doing a 180 temp to burn off any alcohol left over and that also makes sense.

As mentioned previously, I've done it the same way since I've started making concentrates, at the end. Does it matter? I cannot comment on decarbing prior to cooking the concentrate down as I've never tried it. With that in mind; what would you prefer, a two step like you do or a one step. Doing it at the end the first thing I do is set the temp for 180 on my double boiler method via a saucepan/olive oil/oil cup. When the left over alcohol burns off (wait till it does) the oil settles again. Then I kick up the temp to 220d for five minutes and 245d until it stops moving. Basically reversed again, lol. I've never tried any other way as indicated, its always consistent and excellent.

I do get what you mean Brother. I certainly don't have high tech lab equipment and it has taken a long two years just to get a couple of good pieces of equipment (newer and larger capacity). Only could use one kind of oil for over a year before I could get some pure Indica to take properly (tack also) for sleep. Only reason I'm built up as far as oil is I scrap the stainless steel cups for the wife and I meds. I do every test I can to help people with correct information to save them time and money because I know how it goes. I've been able to do this learning the concentrates so people get in the right direction as soon as possible so they don't waist what they don't have. Everything I do is for people who cannot afford the concentrate, so I know exactly where you are coming from. I look at these 100,000. plus rigs and do not see myself making that kind of quantity in retirement. I'm on your page, why I keep following you around, to make sure all is going well :). Try at the end and see if its easier. You know how its done at the start. I want to know if it taste the same or smells the same. Thanks Brother!

420 Motoco

Doing great bro! Had CT scan last week. Cancer is still there, but just hanging out (no metastasis). The largest tumor on my liver went down to 2.0cm!!!
I haven't had chemo in 10 months, but stage 4 cancer in colon is still "absent" & all blood counts from lab are at awesome levels. I may actually live through this.
Thank you for well,...you & all the questions you deal with. I'm still dosing from your advice.

Decarbox'g thoughts:
As we make the Fully Extracted Cannabis Oil to treat our chronic or terminal illnesses, most of us don't have $5k or more to spend on the equipment for commercial extractions the way the pro's do for BHO, CO2 or whatever.
They do it for $$$, most patients don't.
I know I'm being Capt. Obvious.
But, we risk a lot in every way just growing. I know our 420 admins are needing an acceptable & safe method.

Can you let me know your thoughts Morocco? Should I not decarb prior to making the oil?
I know you don't, but do you that I should stop?
I don't have the time to be wrong & goof this up. Well, looks like I might, but you know what I mean.
As far as decarbox'g the oil w/ Ever clear in the oven, I've been in too many bars with Flaming Dr. Peppers while smoking a cigar 1" away from my Laphroaig single malt to be too wary of a tiny amount of alcohol in 250°f.
Famous last words...lol

Merci bien for the reply bro. And thank you for the information you help others with, freely & w/ compassion.

I'm gonna make 2 small batches this week.
One I'll decarb plant matter prior to extraction, the other I'll do w/ dbl boiler my previous way.
I don't have the $ to get them tested, but my "senses" are free.

Once you know you got good starting flowers you don't need to test. I could never afford it period. Of course I would like to test experiments to see the results at different harvest times or even after full term. You good to go now because as you put it 'senses' are free, just like mine brother!

Merci bien for the reply bro. And thank you for the information you help others with, freely & w/ compassion.

I'm gonna make 2 small batches this week.
One I'll decarb plant matter prior to extraction, the other I'll do w/ dbl boiler my previous way.
I don't have the $ to get them tested, but my "senses" are free.

I couldn't afford it too many times (testing), only @ milestones.
Believe I could give Mr. Simpson a run at it. Lol.
Let's keep the info going.
I haven't found my notch as a permanent fixture around 420 except I grow well, but many others are way better.
So, between your experience & my science approach, I am appointing myself your apprentice/assistant.
You put out the method....
I'll drop the laws of physics & endocannabinoid knowledge on 'em.

I couldn't afford it too many times (testing), only @ milestones.
Believe I could give Mr. Simpson a run at it. Lol.
Let's keep the info going.
I haven't found my notch as a permanent fixture around 420 except I grow well, but many others are way better.
So, between your experience & my science approach, I am appointing myself your apprentice/assistant.
You put out the method....
I'll drop the laws of physics & endocannabinoid knowledge on 'em.

I shall be a good lil' student watching and learning from the two of you.

:thumb:

I tested the last batch of oil both with and without tacking to judge with the senses and it is just about perfect for a 50/50 mix. I did the without tacking test a few hours before bed and it kicked in with the couch straps within a couple hours and I overslept like a baby well into the next morning. Then I did proper tacking for daytime and felt great all day. Last night used proper tacking at bedtime and again sleep was not an issue and so far this morning I'm good to go still. Next batch I'll be making 1/2 my daytime mix testing the pre-decarb method with dry material and the other 1/2 using the traditional double boiler method so that I can compare all three methods for taste, smell, effect.

thanks for the report budnoob2. I have now read this entire thread and I am trying to figure out which method I want to use next for decarb. I think I will try the oven method. Or buy a laser thermometer and use the coffee warmer again.

Scan every 2 months.
I'm sorry but I can't send the file from this stupid phone.
Gonna have to wait.
Oh! Sorry Canna! Wasn't paying attention. The dosing file was originally
for a new guy that never got back w/ us. I keep thinking about him & how he wanted this, but disappeared.?

Back
Top Bottom