Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Highya HM,

Those colas are fat with pistils and buds!! They look like wall to wall buds at harvest!! What a show! Happy Smokin'

Highya HM,

Those colas are fat with pistils and buds!! They look like wall to wall buds at harvest!! What a show! Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode...I'm amazed so far myself...this strain is budding like there's no tomorrow. I can't wait to see how fat it gets...

Maybe even fatter than me this Thanksgiving. :oops:

Hope yours is great!

Peace, Hyena

A special Danksgiving message for all my stoner friends out there...

I appreciate those of you who visit occasionally and read what I pen here. As some may know I do a calendar for my friends every year and it's time to find out who would like a copy!

As usual it will be a parade of pretty ladies, all extra dank buds that I have grown.
A reminder to you every single day that I am your daddy. :ganjamon:

Seriously, PM me with your request and include a mailing address and they will go out in a couple weeks. I've got a dozen to give away so first come gets 'em.

Have a Happy Danksgiving!

Peace, Hyena
Hi there hyena I've been following your grows here in Oz I love them invent joined site yet laws are a bit different here but I love your work man love those Saturn 5's

Hi there hyena I've been following your grows here in Oz I love them invent joined site yet laws are a bit different here but I love your work man love those Saturn 5's
Thanks brother, means a lot! Stay tuned and hope to hear from ya more often!

Peace, Hyena

It's been awhile so here's a juicy

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

December has arrived and with it colder temps and Christmas thoughts. My present to myself is always piles of frosty buds and this year looks no different! My new SATURN 5 girls in Tent #1 are off the hook!

Do you believe this is only 5 weeks since the flip??

My guess is, this looks to finish between 7 and 8 weeks...but I will let the trichomes tell me when it's time. And it's a new strain so who knows how bulky it will get? All new so I'm just watching the show and learning.

Here's some fat bud shots...

This last one is especially humongous, everything here is sticky as glue and the smells range from fruity/sweet to skunky. So this new strain is obviously good. However I realized I have to clone from Tent #2...today! This bunch will be harvested in a few weeks so I have to evaluate them all and choose the best to continue the line. Here goes.

There are two distinct types of plant in this mix and all 12 seem to be one or the other...one is lighter, more like the Incredible Bulk parent, and the others are darker with a more compact branch/bud structure, more like their Delhi Friend parent:

So looking at each type carefully, I found six were a bit better than the other six, and three were really exceptional. So I decided to take 2 from each of the 6 (and an extra from the three best plants). and reduce and hopefully improve the line. I will watch the flowering finish for a few more weeks before I have to decide exactly which 12 will be continued based on how everything ends up. But the very best one is this one:

The picture doesn't really show how bulky and sticky this pheno is...it's awesome. And two others are equally amazing so let's see how it all ends up!

Meanwhile in Tent #2, their clones are getting bushy...

All ready for yet another good defoliation then cloning from six of them! After pulling handfuls of huge fan leaves it reveals how densely packed these bushes are...before (right) and after (left):

It's amazing to me that these clones, essentially just small branches from the parent plants, have grown even more dense than their parents, plants from seed! How is that? I'm still learning every week from every grow.

An hour to rebuild and re-load the cloning system, then I took clones from the clones. It is sweaty work but fun, I love cloning! And they always look like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree when they first go in the cloner...

So that went well. Tidied everything up in every room and finally I dropped the scrog frame on the now-cloned-from girls and they all went to jail. Sad, at such a tender age... :oops:

Driving home I felt in a great Christmas mood...this year especially, I feel like the whole month is Christmas. I hope you do too. It all starts and ends with some great green trees, ya know?

Even Santa seems somehow different this year.

I'm on the naughty list, probably. Again.

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

Love your update! Those Saturn 5's are looking so huge! Their buds are so fat and with only 5 weks post flip. Do you think another broken record weightwise is in order? Certainly looks like it from here. Happy Smokin'

The picture doesn't really show how bulky and sticky this pheno is...it's awesome.
I'll just use my imagination.....
full

Re: Project 23 - Hydroponic Homemade Hybrids - Amnesia Haze x Blue Dream Plus Widow x

CHAPTER 4
SECOND BASE

“Be stubborn about your goals, and flexible about your methods.” -Anonymous

I love analogies, and an indoor grow is like baseball.

Getting to first is basically getting your plants up and running, healthy and strong. Second base is reached by the time the plants are ready to begin the flowering process. Third base is budding and home is the chop. We are approaching second base, running strong, and it’s exciting!

Eight weeks in and my girls are well. As previously mentioned these plants were started in sustained 100-degree-plus temps, were given up for dead, then resurrected and lost much time recovering so they’re really at about the normal 5-week mark in my estimation but perfectly healthy. I visit the garden every third day or so and weave a little magic in the scrog net. The main stems are spreading out right on time. I have begun to top some of the lollipops and by the time the edges have been filled, there should be 40 or 50 of them ready to develop into juicy colas.

20161003_113640.jpg

The back part of the grow becomes too difficult to get to at this juncture so I have to leave it a bit higher, necessitating some supercropping. Both scrogging and supercropping are techniques that work together, the main thing is get the plant mass spread out as evenly as possible and keep it as low as you can for as long as possible. Because of simple grow room space limitations I always end up with a portion of my grow that is irreversibly above the screen too early but that’s okay, I can still shape that into a nice hedge of buds.

Frankly when plants are growing perfectly there isn’t much to say. You just check in occasionally and try not to think about them the rest of the time. That doesn’t reduce my desire to be with them…I would spend quality time in there with every plant every day if it were practical but it simply isn’t. For newer growers a word of advice is appropriate here.

I believe additional touching (okay, fondling) is probably the biggest no-no in hobby growing (except for telling somebody). There are a multitude of bad things that can happen to your plants and almost all of them are going to come from you. If you start with a properly prepared grow room, you start with zero threats. If your grow is properly sealed nothing can crawl, drift or fly in there and become a threat. The only way anything bad comes in…is with you.

I never go in my grow room in clothing or shoes that have recently touched anything outdoors including even just walking on the lawn. Bad insects such as mites utilize the principle of exponential multiplication very well and if you have ever looked at a grassy area in early morning and seen the zillions of little web strands covering almost every square inch of our planet you realize insects are absolutely everywhere. If you simply walk a few steps on your lawn you are likely to have many tiny hitchhikers on you and if you visit the grow room now you bring destruction, even with only the most loving intent.

My primary fear is spider mites. That’s a problem with no easy solution even though there are lots of treatments. Every time I decide to visit the grow room my thoughts always include, “How can I be SURE there are no mites on me?” This isn’t paranoia…spider mites multiply like a Chinese math professor and they can suck the very life out of your plants before you even know what happened. My personal experience includes a couple seriously diminished grows because I simply used soil that included tiny new friends and from the start my grow room was host to problems. There is nothing as maddening as executing all the work it takes to grow cannabis then not receiving a proportionate reward, especially if you brought the problems on yourself.

Since those experiences, I have endeavored to keep insects out of my grow room at all costs. It has paid off. The occasional hassle of taking a shower and donning fresh clothes just to enter the grow area is totally worth it to see a sea of perfect green leaves. If you have never felt the helplessness of seeing ugly holes and spots on your leaves from marauding micro beasts you don’t want to. These are our babies!

20161003_113846.jpg
20161003_113906.jpg
Filling in steadily.

Now it is two calendar months since we began, just a couple days shy of nine weeks. Every grow, I seem to let the vegetative stage go a bit longer. This is because I have learned to do more and more with the scrogging/supercropping. I don’t use autoflowering strains, so I can pretty much let my plants go as long as I want before inducing flowering and that can produce a lot of very long branches.

Each grow, I also start feeling like I know everything but then I always learn more. Therefore I have reached a point where I no longer strive for predictability, but rather let each grow develop so some extent in its own unique way. Cannabis plants are all slight variants even from the same mother so every plant has its own personality so to speak. I’ve noticed differences in size, growth rate, node spacing, flowering, and yields from two genetically-identical individuals grown under identical conditions, not once but many times. I find it fascinating and I guess the point is, while I used to schedule and pre-plan my grows, it’s more fun, and more productive, to give them as much time as they need before flipping to 12/12.

20161003_113618.jpg

The yields can be enormous if you keep weaving for 8, 9, even 10 weeks before the flip. Just keep everything low enough that you don’t have to raise your lights and you’re doing it right. Always remember that once you flip, they keep stretching for 3 more weeks so count on continuing to carefully scrog and weave where necessary right up until you see flowers start to appear. If everything goes perfectly you literally have a hedge of colas, all the same height. I have read varying opinions on whether scrogging and supercropping have a detrimental effect after flowering begins. I keep doing it far into the flowering stage and have not observed any reduction in rate or volume of budding, compared to untouched colas on the same plants. If anything, it allows you to maximize the light strike the whole way which I believe is the truly important thing.

With 75% of my grow net area filled we’re getting close. No rush…visions of December sugarplums dance in my head as look at my girls and smoke some smooth Blue Dream from their mother. Christmas will be very frosty indeed!

“Be not afraid of growing slowly…be afraid only of standing still.” -Anonymous

Until next time, Peace. Hyena
Do you recommend having a spider mite regiment or preventive treatment program?
When growing pumpkins I apply product for insects and fungus every week.

Of course with my young ladies I would use say a soy based product.

One other thing.
Do you think a soy based spider mite product is worth forty dollars a bottle if it works?

Or are these products snake oil?

Do you recommend having a spider mite regiment or preventive treatment program?
When growing pumpkins I apply product for insects and fungus every week.

Of course with my young ladies I would use say a soy based product.

One other thing.
Do you think a soy based spider mite product is worth forty dollars a bottle if it works?

Or are these products snake oil?

Well...

1) Never had a spider mite, ever...indoors. So no firsthand experience with eradication methods...indoors.

2) Had spider mites every time...outdoors. Don't believe in overreacting, nor do I like putting anything on my buds that I wouldn't drink. Bugs, webs, chaff, dust...everything is a part of the deal when a sticky weed grows outdoors. Most organic elements like mites come off during drying anyway.

An indoor infestation can be treated effectively with Neem spray, and the residue apparently doesn't kill you. But almost never eliminated. The nature of bugs...they have a hundred million year advantage on us, little bastards.

All part of the flavor, in the end. :ganjamon:

Peace, Hyena

Happy Monday! Here's the latest

The December air is right at freezing outside the GH but inside, three generations of the same organism are all thriving and in a Christmasy mood!

Tent #1, SATURN 5 in full bloom and TAKING OFF!

I'm still pretty impressed with this new form of Cannabic life, all phenos packing on weight at an amazing pace.

Even though I cloned only six of them (for grow 3), at this point every one is a beauty and would be worthy of growing. Some are obviously very similar so I feel I preserved the main variety here, my main goal in trying to decide which of these should establish a new strain. Three main candidates so far, each better in every observable way...but that decision is months away.

For now, here's a few of the true beauties in this room...

There it is. Don't get no better. :morenutes:

So, on to the identical grow in Tent #2 where everyone has remained like their "parents"...very, very compact. They seem to be even shorter and stouter than their counterparts from seed. It looks like an extra week or maybe two might be required to fill the scrog if they stay like this. But everyone healthy and green.

And in the clone room, the 3rd "generation" all look great. No roots after only a week but everyone perfect and standing tall. Sweeet.

So, all is well for another week, then maybe the harvest the following week...? We'll see, I'd love to let them go until the week of Christmas. Huge and fat. Like Santa. We're feeling festive now that Christmas is getting closer...

Dialing in that Christmas feeling. Happy shopping but don't catch anything.

Peace, Hyena

Calendar on the way to all of you who have requested.

Caution: Naked Ladies. :yummy:

Thanks for being there!

Peace, Hyena

What do you know, it's another

Getting pretty cold now in Michigan, I keep the Grow House at 55 since it's expensive to go much hotter and they do fine at lower overall temps, they just take a little longer than in Summer temps.

The SATURN 5 girls are outstanding to this point! :yahoo:

It's a very stinky strain. MUCH more pronounced skunky aroma than either of its parents. This has Super Skunk and Green Spirit in its lineage so those stinky skunk genes have emerged. That's nice because the nose is half the value.

If the final product smells this dank I might really have something because I finally sampled some and it's FIIIIRE!! :love:
Smoking the first joint of a strain that has never existed before is exciting. even only one week after being clipped and basically fast-dried, it's smooth and delicious. With a flavor on the inhale that's a little citrusy with a hint of skunk, kind of sweet, not harsh, then the exhale is more of the dank Indica flavor, a hint of Diesel, just amazingly complex and delicious. And as I mentioned, a VERY strong buzz, nice and cerebral with a hint of body buzz for about a half-hour, then a relaxing transition into a calm state of true physical bliss. I love this weed and so far there's only been one joint ever smoked. It's all I need. :ganjamon: Mission accomplished!

It's colder now as I mentioned, so my timetable has had to be moved back a week or maybe even two. I planned to rip this grow down on the 16th but that was using data from its parents, in warmer temps, which finished pretty well in 7 weeks. Next Monday this will be at 8 weeks, and I wish I could maybe even let it go longer...but if I do, I will not be able to chop it until New year's Day (we have a week-long Christmas vacation planned) which will be another 10 days, going far too long I suppose. Don't want to chance amber trichs and a couchlock buzz. So I'm pretty much set on the 21st.

Here's how it looks. Sit down my friends...

I am very proud of this run. Six months of work and planning to get a new strain going, and it's everything I hoped and more already. I don't know what one more week will do, but hopefully it will be enough and I won't feel I should have let them go longer...but even if that happens I have an identical room about to be flipped, I'll learn from this first run then dial that next run in like a clock.

In Tent #2, things are cooking too...

These bushy little bitches are perplexing, they seem even more compact than their counterparts, yet they are simply branches so shouldn't they be identical...? But they are like barrels, green barrels. Barrels full of love.

All seem healthy but again, a bit slower growth because of the temps in the mid-50s at night and only getting to the low-to-mid 60s even with lights on. It's working, so not worth all the extra money to heat it up 10-15 more degrees just to probably save 10 days or so, at most. Winter growing.

Clones:

The now 2-week-old clones haven't put out roots quite yet but they are starting to, once more taking an extra week because of the cool temps. In 2 weeks or so they will be plenty ready to plant and frankly I need the extra time anyway. All working out. Christmas week and hopefully snow up North so we can ride our snowmobiles. Time must be taken, life is short.

These first buds are sooooo tasty. Who knows if this will be really good? So far I like the way it's going. Back up next Sunday night for the big chop! Four days of hell, but worth it and everything coming right in Christmas week! I can't wait to celebrate Christmas with some giant stinky budz!

I'm feeling Christmas cheer...I feel like an elf who has some really, really super dank and gets a lady elf stoned, and then...

C'mon upstairs, Honey...I'll show you Santa's bedroom.

Peace, Hyena

Back
Top Bottom