I'm a newb! Totally unsure of what light to buy!

One thing to know about LED lighting and cultivator is right, if it says its a 600w then that is what it will pull, if it only pulls 300w then thats all the light your getting.

You will get quality from LED but not quantity, HPS you get both most say you cant get as much quality but there more than wrong.

I think the only great point for me in LED is that they dont kick that much heat out.

Hope this helps!

hmm ok calvados, the mars is originally what i was looking at, also the bloombeast A900 has me all worked up, looks like a wicked light and has a 5 year warranty

I bought mine used. I think its an old model now. Unless there's a big president's day sale they are pretty expensive for what they are. I think they are a site sponsor, but I can't figure out how to look them up on this new layout. Do you have a budget?

well ya to a certain point i have a budget, i dont reall want to spend $1000 on just the light for my first grow although i know it would be a good investment as weed is going to be legal here in canada in just a few months, i have some friends that grow professionally in the states and they all say stick with hid or hps, my head is like a tornado rite now.
Im sorta of just looking at ordering one of these kits.

4' x 4' 700 Watt Stealth Grow Tent Complete Kit

or

4' x 4' Grow Tent Complete Kit

If you're going to take the advice here and figure that LED is just equal to HPS watt-for-watt, then you won't really be doing yourself any favors getting LED over HPS at the same wattage. Yeah some people say it's a better spectrum and all that, but if you look at the cost of the lights it's pretty clear that 600 W MH/HPS setups are more affordable. Then not to mention if your LED light starts blowing LEDs that's a headache. With HPS/MH if the lamp goes out, they're pretty cheaply replaced.

LED and CMH are really only worth it if you're trying to cut down on energy consumption. If you're just going to use 600 watts regardless of lighting technology, then you might as well go with HPS. It's tried and true and will be the least costly to setup and run.

But if you ask me personally I think most of these estimates are grossly over-stated. The whole 50 watts/sq-ft rule seems to have been pulled out of thin air somewhere, because I remember many years ago people were suggesting 20-30 was optimal. I pull 5-6 ounces a cycle ( with questionable genetics ) off a 400 W HPS in my 4x4. I'm sure all these guys running tons of light get a lot more, but to act like running less than 400 W isn't even worth it is seriously a major disservice to people who might want to grow a personal amount.

But if you don't have electrical restrictions and you're not interested in more efficient lighting (or better spectrum), there's really no reason to run LED over MH/HPS.

If you're going to take the advice here and figure that LED is just equal to HPS watt-for-watt, then you won't really be doing yourself any favors getting LED over HPS at the same wattage. Yeah some people say it's a better spectrum and all that, but if you look at the cost of the lights it's pretty clear that 600 W MH/HPS setups are more affordable. Then not to mention if your LED light starts blowing LEDs that's a headache. With HPS/MH if the lamp goes out, they're pretty cheaply replaced.

LED and CMH are really only worth it if you're trying to cut down on energy consumption. If you're just going to use 600 watts regardless of lighting technology, then you might as well go with HPS. It's tried and true and will be the least costly to setup and run.

But if you ask me personally I think most of these estimates are grossly over-stated. The whole 50 watts/sq-ft rule seems to have been pulled out of thin air somewhere, because I remember many years ago people were suggesting 20-30 was optimal. I pull 5-6 ounces a cycle ( with questionable genetics ) off a 400 W HPS in my 4x4. I'm sure all these guys running tons of light get a lot more, but to act like running less than 400 W isn't even worth it is seriously a major disservice to people who might want to grow a personal amount.

But if you don't have electrical restrictions and you're not interested in more efficient lighting (or better spectrum), there's really no reason to run LED over MH/HPS.

Heat is a good reason.

Heat is a good reason.

I agree. My 400 watt hps was a lot hotter than my 380 watts of led, especially at the canopy. I am intrigued to hear about covering a 4x4 with a 400 though. I am going to check your journals out for sure Fertilizer!

:peace:

In the scheme of things, the more efficient the light the less heat it will output.

I agree. My 400 watt hps was a lot hotter than my 380 watts of led, especially at the canopy. I am intrigued to hear about covering a 4x4 with a 400 though. I am going to check your journals out for sure Fertilizer!

:peace:

I'd probably do better if I actually stuck with one thing and dialed it in, but I've been trying new things each cycle too. Recently I switched to a Phillips 315 W CMH in 3100K. All the test data I could find so far showed it outperforming the top of the line 400 W HPS by quite a lot, on par with some of the best LEDs. Just waiting to see how it does, but it does seem to run cooler. I actually opened up my air-cooled hood and I'm running it open hood with great temps. Nice node spacing even at 20"+ over the canopy too. If only I hadn't screwed the pooch with my soil mix this round, I'm quite certain I would have blown the door off previous yields.

In the scheme of things, the more efficient the light the less heat it will output.

I hope so, my CMH seems to be running a lot cooler than my old HPS, but I'm still kind of waiting to draw any conclusions since it's still in the cooler months. What do you think about people who tell me LED tend to run really hot though? Maybe they just didn't think to add enough ventilation to their tents or something?

well ya to a certain point i have a budget, i dont reall want to spend $1000 on just the light for my first grow although i know it would be a good investment as weed is going to be legal here in canada in just a few months, i have some friends that grow professionally in the states and they all say stick with hid or hps, my head is like a tornado rite now.

or

The first one looks pretty good. I've only ever grown with LEDs.

You can probably do better by buying things separately. If height isn't an issue get the taller tent. I don't know what the Mars 700 costs, but I doubt it covers a 4x4 footprint. If you got 2x600 Viaspectras, they will do the job just fine. Otherwise you should probably get the Mars 1200. If you decide to do this as some sort of enterprise, you can always use these lights to veg plants and get stronger ones for a flowering tent. Lots of people have really good results with a lot less. Read some finished journals growing with 4x4 tents on this site. You'll see.

You still need pots, nutrients, grow medium, PH pen, and the odd seed or three.

I wouldn't over think it too much. There's way more to this than lighting. I've done two grows. The first with the wrong lights and a spectacular ignorance and I still managed to end up with 8 oz of buds. It's fun. Here's my last journal as an example Green Crack, LED, 4x4x8 tent

I hope so, my CMH seems to be running a lot cooler than my old HPS, but I'm still kind of waiting to draw any conclusions since it's still in the cooler months. What do you think about people who tell me LED tend to run really hot though? Maybe they just didn't think to add enough ventilation to their tents or something?

I would think they purchased a very inefficient light. Just because it's LED doesn't always mean is going to be efficient. If the driver is cheap, it's going to waste a lot of wattage in heat. Physics is absolute. LED's are more efficient than a filament type bulb. But there is more to a LED light than just a diode. The other electronics play a part of the power scheme. This is why some 150w (wall power) LEDs are better than others.

With an efficient system, a LED will always put out more light than a filament bulb of the exact same wattage. But that doesn't necessarily make it better for growing. Spectrum, radiation, and many other things decide which is better. The Sun is a complicated thing to mimic. Nuclear fusion creates a lot of different frequencies of energy.

But that is just my take on it.

The preceding information was provided by a raving lunatic and does not necessarily reflect the views of 420 Magazine. :rofl:

What do you guys make of these???

2PCS 1000W LED Grow Light Hydro Full Spectrum Flower Indoor Plant Lamp Panel MT | eBay

Be very careful buying on eBay. A lot of the vendors lie about their specs. I bought an 1800W dimmable COB array through eBay for my 2' X 4' X 5' tent. You'd think at full power it would burn my plants. No way, some of the colas are three inches away from the light, and doing just fine. My recommendation would be to stick with our sponsor's products, or build your own.

I'm going the DIY route as soon as I can scrape the funds together.

I know that we are supposed to help booster the sponsorship here on the site, but if I were to do everything over again from scratch I would definitely be looking at Timber grow lights or Horticultural Lighting Group for some of my answers. Efficiency and Lux ratings are right on the site and there is no bulshit. The actual consumption wattage is listed with every light and they use only the best drivers and Technology. Quantum boards or Samsung LEDs are the way that I would go, because five years from now they will still be going strong and they will not be obsolete. Not to mention the fact that they are expendable and customizable.

I went inexpensive for my Lighting in the beginning, shortly there after I upgraded to what I consider a way better light. Two months after that I discovered the quantum boards and I wish I would never have spent a dime on my original LEDs. My 400 watt hid in veg kicks ass, but even that in and outdoor space like I have here in Ontario needs Cooling in winter time.

or

The company has very good people. I've dealt with them, and a sister company run by the same people for over five years. I have the 6" version of that fan and find it noisy. The kit will get you started, and you should get a decent, if not great harvest. No matter what you buy, you'll end up wanting to upgrade.

A 6" fan for a 2' X 4' tent? Yeah, I bought for expansion and intend to have one fan/filter serving several tents.

also keep in mind ill be growing 3 plants tops in a 4x4

If you are only growing three (3) plants consider a 2x4 tent. Would also increase growing efficiency of whatever light you end up getting.

My first lights were per the suggestion of SweetSue...Timber Grow. I got the 200W Citizen COB (for a 2x4 space). They are exceptional. One buying consideration was if I didn't enjoy indoor growing I could resell a high quality brand light easily.

(But I'm keeping them :p)

If you are only growing three (3) plants consider a 2x4...tent. Would also increase growing efficiency of whatever light you end up getting.

The nice thing about this setup is that you get experience, and you can repurpose it as a veg/mother tent when you've harvested. You'll have a better idea of what you need for expansion, and be able to tune the next tent for flowering. The problem with a 5' tall tent is that it's 5' tall. Pots, whatever your medium will take 12" - 20" and the light/fan another 12" - 20". With a 6" space between the lights and canopy, you'll have between 26" and 36" for your plants. That's great for a scrog, and you can grow indicas, but forget the sativas (unless scrogged).

I wouldn't over think it too much. There's way more to this than lighting. I've done two grows. The first with the wrong lights and a spectacular ignorance and I still managed to end up with 8 oz of buds. It's fun.

Amen!

Back
Top Bottom