Indoor LED SCRoG grow - Blue Dream + Hindu Kush x Shiva Skunk

I've got them on ph lowered water and cha ching as the only nutes just in case that was the issue for a few feedings now. I went really light on the nutes the whole grow, but I can think of a few ways where it may be possible that there was still too much in the soil.

Probably a good move until you get things on track. In my test grow (which went well but was aborted early due to odor) I went very light on the nutes as well with good results - 1/4 of the recommended dosage. For this grow I tried to increase it to 1/2 of the recommended dosage and got into trouble! I think heat also plays a role in this - the more heat the lighter you have to go on the nutes and it has been in the mid to upper 80's in my tent.

I grew a very nute sensitve strain and had leaf curling just like yours.

It wasn't lockout, it was just too much nutrition, mostly nitrogen. The curled leaves didn't ever recover, but new growth was good, once I fixed the problem.

As long as the leaves are green, photosynthesis will go on and the plant will grow.

I'd be careful flushing too much. You don't want to get any root rot. If new growth is good, just carry on with the grow and chalk one up for learning.

Make sure you're not feeding a really hot, wild mix of nutes. As far as PH goes, I'm under the impression that it's not as critical for soil as it is for Hydro.....but once you get off the reservation, it's hard to correct in soil. You don't have to be quite as precise, however.

:peace:

Well Doc that is interesting to hear about PH not being as critical in soil because my guy at the hydro store says the same thing. My nutes are organic and not too crazy - I like to keep it as simple as I can. He sold me the nutes locally knowing the local water conditions and thought I would not have to adjust at all. Glad to hear this - it looks like I can probably expect the same result as you. I'm back on light nutes as of my next watering.

When I did the test grow I did not adjust the ph of my water which sits at about 7.2 coming out of the tap. My nutes probably dropped the solution down to a good range for the plant. This time around I was taking my water down to 6.8 before adding nutes - probably because I was not using my cool new ph meter often enough =) I will go back to what worked before except when I flush which I will do with 6.8 - 7.0 water.

One other factor to consider is that I have a carbon refrigerator filter on my water line now whereas I did not for the test grow. I added it to pull out chloramine (which did not seem to bother the test grow lol). I'm not sure all of the ways this might change the water. Any ideas on what kind of things to watch with a carbon filter or am I over thinking this?

Well Doc that is interesting to hear about PH not being as critical in soil because my guy at the hydro store says the same thing. My nutes are organic and not too crazy - I like to keep it as simple as I can. He sold me the nutes locally knowing the local water conditions and thought I would not have to adjust at all. Glad to hear this - it looks like I can probably expect the same result as you. I'm back on light nutes as of my next watering.

When I did the test grow I did not adjust the ph of my water which sits at about 7.2 coming out of the tap. My nutes probably dropped the solution down to a good range for the plant. This time around I was taking my water down to 6.8 before adding nutes - probably because I was not using my cool new ph meter often enough =) I will go back to what worked before except when I flush which I will do with 6.8 - 7.0 water.

One other factor to consider is that I have a carbon refrigerator filter on my water line now whereas I did not for the test grow. I added it to pull out chloramine (which did not seem to bother the test grow lol). I'm not sure all of the ways this might change the water. Any ideas on what kind of things to watch with a carbon filter or am I over thinking this?

I grow tomatos, squash, lettuce, beets, onions, chard, watermelon, cilantro, turnips, parsnips, peppers, strawberries, beans and cucumbers in soil.

I've never, ever tested for PH.

I usually "feed" the plants when I first plant them with 14-14-14 Osmocote, a time released fert.

Then, I usually give them a few more feedings with guano about 2 months later. No PH testing.

Good soil is a natural buffer. You can put a wide range of PH in, and decent soil will buffer....no testing required. I don't know what kind of soil you're using, but from what I know about vegetables, your problem is probably not PH. You've probably fed them too much, or watered too much....or both.

Just chill, keep 'em green and feed 'em nice and easy and you'll be fine.

I've seen huge outdoor MJ plants in 25 gallon pots of FFOF. The grower had a "miracle grow" hose sprayer will Fox Farms nutes in it, hooked up the the hose bib, city water....never checked PH, and that's how he watered. He got well over a pound per plant on the small ones, did some multi-harvest, and had a few really impressive larger plants.

Hydro? That's a whole 'nuther story when it comes to PH.

Week 3 of Flowering

More and fatter flowers, and the new growth is coming in healthy. Today I flushed with 10 gallons (2 gallons per pot) of plain water with a light dose of CaMg added. Even though I am using air pots I recently began running an air stone in the water prior to watering to increase oxygen at the roots.

Here are a few pics.

DSC_00027.JPG

DSC_00054.JPG

DSC_00062.JPG

DSC_00074.JPG

Shot glass for size comparison.

DSC_00134.JPG

Happy Holidays everyone!

Great update slimm. Glad you think you got your issues dealt with.

How high are the lights above the screen?

Thanks SS. I think the roots may have suffered a bit due to the missteps, because the growth is still a little slow (or maybe I am just impatient).

The lights are about 8 inches off the canopy although a couple buds are stretching and are within about 6 inches. I'm not sure what to do next if those buds keep stretching more than the others. I will probably raise the lights a bit more and if I am still getting spikes of growth I will supercrop those to keep things even. I really only have about 12 - 18 inches of room to move the panels up so I have to manage this closely.

That level canopy of buds is really pretty. Ima get some kind of screen set up next grow. Even if it's just some cords stretched across the top to tie stems onto.

I agree, I really like the sea of buds that it produces. Chicken wire on a pvc frame is pretty easy to do and costs very little. I affixed mine to the light support poles with some of those miniature bungies from home depot. I had started doing LST with some lightweight wire but it was too time consuming with 10 plants.

Nice work there slimm ;)

Hope you've got some high resolution photos ;)

We'll be doing some LED features in our print edition, and your SCROG looks of interest to our selection committee.

Just send em to photos@420magazine.com if interested

Wow - I'm flattered! I have a Nikon D100 digital SLR. I have been downsizing the images for the web and I have been kind of sloppy with the shots. I will take a few nice ones along the way and send them in. PM me and let me know if there are guidelines to follow, what kind of composition would be best etc if there is anything specific I can do to get you the kind of images you need for the spread.

Heyhey Slimm Grow is looking good. Love the LED setup...Will be watching this one closely...Awesome number of bud-sites they look soooo tasty...keep up the good work.

L8ER

Thanks Grooster. Love the quote in your siggy! I am really happy with the number of bud sites but they are so small at this point- I think scrog is the way to go with these lights. My last estimation was several hundred thumbsize buds (my canopy covers a 3 x 4 foot area). In fact I went beneath the screen today and pushed up some of the smaller branches that i had previously thought would not amount to anything. Once I am able to get them up above the screen they tend to fatten up pretty quick. Here's to watching them get big and fat over the next few weeks!

lookin good slim i too am trying out a scrog but with 2 126's i'll keep you updated im still in veg though
dwc 2plants in a 20 x 30 space

Caught up and subscribed. It is frustrating to have a great grow and then something go wrong in flowering. Looks like you solved the problem and are back on track to have a great harvest. I am really glad to be fallowing you thread as i believe multiple LED units using scrog is the best system for LEDs. Waiting patiently to see the results of a few LED grows to see if they are worth the investment. Keep up the good work!

lookin good slim i too am trying out a scrog but with 2 126's i'll keep you updated im still in veg though
dwc 2plants in a 20 x 30 space

Are you journalling the grow? If so pop back in here and give us the link with your update. DWC sounds interesting. That's a lot of light for that size of screen - can't wait to see how they flower.

Caught up and subscribed. It is frustrating to have a great grow and then something go wrong in flowering. Looks like you solved the problem and are back on track to have a great harvest. I am really glad to be fallowing you thread as i believe multiple LED units using scrog is the best system for LEDs. Waiting patiently to see the results of a few LED grows to see if they are worth the investment. Keep up the good work!

Glad to have you here therootsofwis. The problem for newer growers like myself is identifying an issue and correcting before too much damage is done. I learned quite a bit from this little mishap. Next time action will be taken much quicker and the plants will suffer less.

Overall I am pleased with the set up and agree that LED + ScrOG is the way to go. Of course we still have a few weeks to go to see whether substantial bud can be produced. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom