InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Monday update, leading off with the Summer/Fall grow now in the tent at night! :idea:

I have no idea why I was leaving these under a dim bulb at night when the tent has been empty for over a week. Force of habit I guess, so I think I'm the dim bulb!

Anyway, I cleaned the tent and lowered the MarsHydro SP250 and put the plants in there at night, so now they get 24/0 lighting. I'll bump the wattage after a few days for them to get used to the LEDs.

And yesterday morning, before I sprayed the plants down with 7% iso, I decided to follow through on this:
Maybe I'll bag a few leaves and save them for a better test...
I took three leaves with bugs on them and put them in separate ziplocs, where they sat in the shed while I drove up to Santa Barbara and back. Then I scoped them for live bugs:

[These are all aphids, so this test is for aphids. Doesn't mean it's not valid for other pests.]

I sprayed one with Safers, one with 7% iso, and one with 1% citric acid. I waited two hours before I went back to check.

I'd post the after pics but you can't tell live from dead in still pics, so I'll just tell you the results:

Safers Insect Killing Soap had no moving bugs 2 hours after spraying. 100% effective.

This is what I have been recommending to anyone with bugs lately. I will be waiting longer before rinsing it off now, probably 24 hours since I have to spray in the mornings before the sun is on them.

7% iso had a few moving bugs 2 hours after spraying. After a second spray and another hour, the only moving bugs I saw looked like they were on death's door. 75% effective on one spray. 95% effective with two.

If you can't get your hands on Safers or don't have any currently, 7% iso will work, though I would spray twice drying time between.

1% citric acid spray seems to have left just as many live bugs after as before. 0% effective.

I never claimed the citric acid spray would work on anything but powdery mildew (it does!), and the strength recommended online for bugs was 50% stronger (1.5%), so I can't say if they're right or wrong. I will do more testing on that with my next flowering plant, as I need to check the effect of 1.5% on leaves, pistils, and trichomes. In the meantime, go with either a product with potassium salts of fatty acids once (like Safer Insect Killing Soap) or 7% iso twice.

For those who don't have access to this site:

...you make a 7% iso solution by mixing:
70% iso 1 part alcohol to 9 parts water
or
91% iso 2 parts alcohol to 25 parts water.

It rained here last night so I couldn't check the leaves again this morning. Looked like it might rain a little during the day, but the plants are all out anyway.

I hope you had a good weekend! :peace:

Thanks Otter! Once I figured out how to use it, it's pretty cool. I have some nice clear shots of the red in my son's beard. :)
Interesting test. Could also be that either of the first two methods take longer to be effective. But the instantaneous success of the iso is appealing. Did you notice any negative effects on the plant, maybe drier leaves or something? Hard to attribute any damage to any one thing though, I suppose.
#sciencewithshed
I haven't seen any negative effects with 7% iso, and I even sprayed the mutant little JH with it as a test. I remember @newty used it on young clones and they came through fine.
1/8tsp = 1g.
Yeah in that 1/8 tsp could be one ball and the rest powder or all balls and no powder, at least for the old version. My recommendation is and has always been weigh and mix large quantities at one time of v2 MC. The new grey powder is much more standardized though.
I'm that drunken dart throwing clairvoyant. Well at least the drunk part.
LOL!
Drive by
thrip hatch?
Thanks for the visit Norcali! Aphids at this point. No spotting on the leaves.
You must know I sat up straight when I started reading about your bug killing tests! But then I was disappointed by your methodology. It was like our drunk test methodology when we were kids. My cousin and I would raid his father's bar and drink some scotch. If that didn't get us tipsy, we'd try some vodka. Still no luck, try a little gin. Whoa, the gin did the trick!
You obviously skipped the very first line, where I said:
in a completely unscientific test

Nice trichome shots. Your pics illustrate what I've often observed on my plants: There's plenty of amber heads, yet they are still clear. Used to be really confusing for me until I decided to mostly ignore the amber and just focus on whether they are cloudy vs clear.
Thanks BL! It was your dollars that paid for the great info on why to keep waiting. They both need water almost every other day still (slowing down a bit, but still getting water that often), so I'm going to let them keep going.
Thank You for the Info Shed ,Bluter and farside I will weigh it and set where i need to be at for now .. In my mind close is good enough LOL ,, Nice Pics. Shed always reminds me of Christmas for some reason (colors i guess)
Thanks sb...Christmas in July!
iso will mess up anything with a soft body as soon as it hits it. the problem with iso is it actually has to hit the bug directly to have an effect. iso evaporates quickly, it's the evaporation that is deadly to the pests, but that also means it's window of effectiveness is fairly small.
iso also will not destroy the eggs. it'll get a few, but not enough to break the cycle, meaning treatment has to continue.
Iso and Safers are both kill on contact. From what I read about 1.5% citric acid it does as well. Either way, repeated spraying every 4 days for a couple of weeks is always a good idea. Outside it should be mandatory!
Ahoy there Shedster,
Tickled pink for your getting a scope.
LMK when you want me to size your lab coat.
Thanks for the visit Maritimer! When I retire I'll be ready for my lab coat, so don't measure for a few years yet.

Awesome multi quote as usual.....

Quick question.

Safers soap vs Terpinator for World domination, who would win?

Nice comparison Shed, I'll add some Safers to the mix when I venture outside again. We've had a nasty infestation of the yellow bells and even some of the bougainvillea in the neighborhood. It's amazing what you can learn just walking the dogs.

Nice comparison Shed, I'll add some Safers to the mix when I venture outside again. We've had a nasty infestation of the yellow bells and even some of the bougainvillea in the neighborhood. It's amazing what you can learn just walking the dogs.
:welcome: back Age! Hope you and the fam are keeping safe and dry with the rains you just had.

When you venture outside again you will have to find another variety as heat-loving as the NL! And @FelipeBlu recommends rinsing off the Safers after it dries to prevent build-up of the potassium salts.

Plants look good shed , i bet they start jumping now with that extra light LOL Stuff happens and with all you have have going on well not to bad . Well i found out that i was feeding about 3 times the amount i should be , would that make the plants not drink as much ? Autos at 2 months , Plants look ok not burning except for the smaller one that had a bad beginning got some tip burn and leave cupping .. Thanks in Advance to all .. :passitleft:

:welcome: back Age! Hope you and the fam are keeping safe and dry with the rains you just had.

When you venture outside again you will have to find another variety as heat-loving as the NL! And @FelipeBlu recommends rinsing off the Safers after it dries to prevent build-up of the potassium salts.

The family is good minus our beloved Maverick (GSD). I was up at 3 am taking out our new pup and the aluminum awning sounded like symphony of high speed drums. A welcomed sound in the desert during July. It's been warmer than usual this year and the humidity was early as well. A couple of days with nice weather and I'm sure we'll be sky rocketing back to our unseasonably swamp ass generating weather in less than 24 hours.

I've still got some Northern Lights in the 420 Mag provided seed collection. I'll have to snap a pic of the Katana I've got in it's 2nd week of flowering. Not quite at the Guy Fieri Stage but close, as SHE / THEY are starting to push out those pretty white hairs.

Rinse / Flush for salts... Some things never change!

Plants look good shed , i bet they start jumping now with that extra light LOL Stuff happens and with all you have have going on well not to bad . Well i found out that i was feeding about 3 times the amount i should be , would that make the plants not drink as much ? Autos at 2 months , Plants look ok not burning except for the smaller one that had a bad beginning got some tip burn and leave cupping .. Thanks in Advance to all ..
Thanks sb! Just turned up the wattage in the tent because there's no sun yet today. Moved them up to about 30,000 lux.

If your plants aren't burned then I don't think overfeeding them is the cause of the not-drinking. Are they're still growing and a reasonably good color? How did you discover you were overfeeding them?
The family is good minus our beloved Maverick (GSD).
I'm sorry to hear about your doggo. :(
I was up at 3 am taking out our new pup and the aluminum awning sounded like symphony of high speed drums. A welcomed sound in the desert during July. It's been warmer than usual this year and the humidity was early as well. A couple of days with nice weather
But there's a new pup! Congratulations. :)

My wife just got back from four days in PS and said the storm was amazing. Lightning, thunder, and torrential down pour. We even got a bit of rain overnight here on Sunday.
I've still got some Northern Lights in the 420 Mag provided seed collection. I'll have to snap a pic of the Katana I've got in it's 2nd week of flowering. Not quite at the Guy Fieri Stage but close, as SHE / THEY are starting to push out those pretty white hairs.
All talk no pics. Don't you have an old grow journal somewhere?
Rinse / Flush for salts... Some things never change!
Accumulated salts, bad!

And I've forgotten my manners, forgive me. Sounds like you are doing well Shed, I'm not even gonna try and catch up with what I've missed here InThe... I saw those three in the tent, clones? A dim bulb? lmao, nice one!

How's your family doin?

Morning Shed. I wondered if you did any more tests on pests with citric acid?
I stumbled upon using that as a pest deterrent while using the citric acid spray for PM. As the mildew disappeared over several days, I noticed the mites did as well.
Definitely not an instant killer of any kind, but it makes a very low pH environment which pests seem to flee from.
Since it isn’t a fast acting, I began adding BT from mosquito bits. Also a few drops of SNS 209.
It’s not a spray I’d use for infestations, but when spraying for mildew, it will also slowly rid my plants of pests.

This year I’m not having any moisture and no PM, so no need for that spray yet.
I’m going a different direction and adding predatory mites (5 kinds) to all my plants including roses. Ladybugs are good but I want something that won’t fly away 2 minutes later. My outdoor GSC auto will be too big to keep up with the pests, hoping to get ahead of it!

Glad to see your awesome plants, my friend.

I'll be out and about today so pardon my absence. In the meantime:
I found i was over feeding from here after i weighed the MC for 4.5 g. The colors a ok and still growing but it takes 5-6 days before getting dry enough to water / feed .
So much depends on the plant and pot size. Post some pics so we can have a gander!
And I've forgotten my manners, forgive me. Sounds like you are doing well Shed, I'm not even gonna try and catch up with what I've missed here InThe... I saw those three in the tent, clones? A dim bulb? lmao, nice one!
How's your family doin?
All is reasonably well here. Daughter just graduated college and my son starts sophomore year next month...actually on campus now!

The three in the tent are from seed in shite soil that stalled them out bad (high pH out of the bag). They were supposed to be the summer grow but looks like they'll be the fall grow now. I have two in late flower now...one might come down tomorrow!
Morning Shed. I wondered if you did any more tests on pests with citric acid?
Morning Justin! I haven't run any more tests with it, but next time I have flowers I will at 1.5% dilution.
I stumbled upon using that as a pest deterrent while using the citric acid spray for PM. As the mildew disappeared over several days, I noticed the mites did as well.
It might work as a preventative, but I don't spray it regularly enough to know. And (knock wood) I've never had mites. Aphids and thrips seem to be my pests. Other plants in my garden get mites though, so I could try it there. Of course, I don't want the mites to move on to the cannabis. :eek:
It’s not a spray I’d use for infestations, but when spraying for mildew, it will also slowly rid my plants of pests.
I never seem to stick with an IPM regimen, so I always seem to wait for the infestation!
Glad to see your awesome plants, my friend.
Thanks! The flowering ones look like crap at this point, but they're almost done. :slide:

Not sayin it isn't real... My opinion just as valid as the over hyped mediaz! And it's been an exercise in brain washing and hypocrisy from the very beginning. Any hows wear a mask if you want just don't take away our kids rights to an education or my right to choose. I'm pro choice on just about every level.

:passitleft:

Howdy folks and welcome to a pic-packed Friday update! I took the middle of the week off, and since Wednesday was a beach day with the doggo, yesterday it was time to get back to the plants. So let's get to it in non-chronological order, starting off with the harvest of the Red Dragon from Barney's.

It had slowed the drinking enough and was looking very done generally, so down it came on flip day 66, 167 total days above ground. Here it was untied with the fans stripped off:

And here are the dry and crumbly leaves:

Save the bones for Henry Jones:

I washed it with not enough H2O2 so the trimming process was rather buggy, and I found a bunch of c-words so I probably took it down just in time! And since I can't watch TV and trim, I decided to re-watch Big Mouth on Netflix from the beginning because I only need to look up occasionally!

Here is the harvest hanging in the drying box. It's amazing how much fits in there!

I've got the fan on high aimed at the holes (lower right) to drive out as much moisture as I can in the first 24 hours, because the ambient RH these days is in the 60s.

What else what else...oh yeah: perlite cloning! After much coachxing from @Virgin Ground and @Heavenly Hybrid, I decided to give it a go. I took one of the lowers on the Sour G:

And the two tops of the Jack Herer:

And put them in perlite with a little water at the bottom. On one of the JH's, I scraped up the bottom and used Dip'n Grow cloning liquid to see if that makes a difference. I did the same on the Sour G because that's how I clone.

But that is not all. Oh no. That is not all! I up-canned a Candida clone into the Big Gulp cup ( :sorry: @Baron Von Blurple):

I will give it a week or two to settle in and then flip it (in the closet) for seeds, if the pollen is viable. Not convinced yet so I want a quick test with a Candida.

But wait...there's more! (:rip: Ron Popeil.) I transplanted the Sour G from the 3 gallon to 7 gallon GeoPot:

In the process, I knocked off all the shite soil back to the original 1 gallon pot size:

And sunk it into some nice new ProMix HP with additional mycorrhizae from @DYNOMYCO:

I've decided to leave transplants in the shade for a week to see if that lessens transplant shock. It seems to have for the Red Dragon mother I created last week.

Since I was knocking off shite dirt, I pulled out the old and now-dead Jack Herer to check out the roots:

Same size as the original solo cup it came out of back in May...oof!

And finally, I transplanted one of my lemon trees (from seed):

Along with a fruiting pineapple that was in a 2 gallon pot:

That was my Thursday. 7,835 steps and I never left the property! :surf:

Back
Top Bottom