InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

The worm poop is one of the herds favorite foods! Really helps to keep the micro activity buzzing. I think Doc likes to use the word 'energy' in the soil.
Yeah exactly - what I was getting at is that there’s likely no real microherd in Sheds pots because the pots are kind of an inert medium for the salt based nutes (just the way you describe).

Generally the two prong approach will work better if you are using nutes that organic and won't harm the plant. Not all bottled nutes are necessarily bad for organic soil. But you can have both types of feeding take place. Many times people that grow organically will try to do this through foliar feedings as it doesn't bother the herd. Herd stays happy and plant gets extra goodies.

Ok, need to chime in here. I think there is some misunderstanding regarding organic soil. First rule of LIVING ORGANIC SOIL is that you don't feed the plant. You are feeding the micro organisms. The plants and the herd develop a relationship where the plant gives the herd what it needs in exchange for doing the dirty work. So the herd breaks the stuff in the soil down and based of the communication that takes place between the herd and the plant, the herd makes the nutrients available to plant based off what it communicates it needs. Our job with the soil is to feed the soil.
Growers that feed salt based nutrients are feeding the plant. It is usable in its water state directly to the plant roots. Big difference in how things work. Feed the Herd or feed the plant. This is one of the reasons that the pH of the soil is constantly changing. Now I learned the hard way that if your water is bad, the herd will struggle to adjust things to suit the plant.
So that being said, when you add organic amendments to the soil. It isn't for the plant....its for the herd. The herd benefits from that amendment and rewards the plants essentially. This is a very simplistic explanation but about the easiest way for people to understand the difference in growing in soil and growing in living organic soil.
What a great explainer Van! Thanks for breaking down the difference and simplifying it for me. :thanks:

So have you seen Mars Attacks!?
I haven't...sorry! I'm not much of a movie goer. I can find it on Netflix maybe!

I like that simple explanation Van. It captures the essence of it nicely. I’ve ale thought that this would mean that mixing the 2 approaches wouldn’t work, so am curiiis about your experiment with the worm castings Shed. My rudimentary understanding of it makes me think that there is no microherd in your pots, so ‘no-one’ to make what’s in the EWCs available for the plant.
Regardless of that, everything is currently looking pretty damn good, despite the lack of bright sunlight!

:Namaste:
What Amy said ;).

My worm casting project is still in progress. I see some worms, lots of fruit flies, lots of kitchen garbage, and some sewage sludge at the bottom. Eventually I hope to have something that seems like it would be helpful to the plants and not make me puke when I open the lid. :thumb:

At this point I am a salt-based grower. I doubt I will ever go with LOS. I have nowhere to mix and cook soil, nor the place to make teas, nor the time left in a day for anything besides mixing stuff from a bottle. That said, I'm not dead set on FoxFarms if someone can point me to something simpler and cheaper for the way I grow!

Generally the two prong approach will work better if you are using nutes that organic and won't harm the plant. Not all bottled nutes are necessarily bad for organic soil. But you can have both types of feeding take place. Many times people that grow organically will try to do this through foliar feedings as it doesn't bother the herd. Herd stays happy and plant gets extra goodies.

On my next grow, I'm not going to bother with adding my supplements in different stages like I did this time. They are all added to the soil at the start and I will let it sit for a month, then, hopefully I will have prepared for the maximum amount of laziness allowed.

On my next grow, I'm not going to bother with adding my supplements in different stages like I did this time. They are all added to the soil at the start and I will let it sit for a month, then, hopefully I will have prepared for the maximum amount of laziness allowed.
Don't forget the part where you throw the plant out in a plastic bag and plant it again a week later. It's part of your process now!

I am a firm believer in top dressing stuff in. Think of it as giving the herd new stuff. Don't do much when you add the stuff in....but it works! I like to add stuff every few weeks. I generally will add in a couple teaspoons of minerals, ground up malted barley, EWC, a little gypsum (tough to over do it on calcium), some neem/karanja cake, and Kelp meal. I will also add some Seabird or bat guano (the all 'P' kind...not the high nitrogen kind) in for top dressings about 2 weeks before flipping them and again 2 weeks after flipping them. Think of it terms of it kind of cooking as its flowering. Anything not used for that grow will be there for the next run in the soil. Again, I don't add a lot. I would rather add a little bit, and do it more frequently than to not add anything.

Don't forget the part where you throw the plant out in a plastic bag and plant it again a week later. It's part of your process now!

Yes we cannot forget that. Also make sure that it is in a febreeze scented white trashbag and that you seal it up really tight and throw it in a dark corner. Also stepping on it a few times seems to help.

I understand the laziness completely. Laziness is one of the reasons I like to grow organically. I do my mixing (Mixed my soil on the 1st of this month)...and thats all the work I really do for the plants. I get a two 5 gallon buckets and throw 1 cup of EWC, teaspoon of my kelp, 2 tablespoons of malted ground barley, 1 teaspoon of guano into my tea bag and let it brew for 24 hours. Pull a gallon out to use and I add 1 teaspoon of fish emulsion fertilizer for bringing my shitty 9.2 pH water down to about 6.5 and I water. That gives me about 3-5 days of nothing for that plant again until its time to water again. Takes me longer to fill the gallon jugs with ACT (trying to not make a mess) than anything else. I thought maybe growing in 10 and 15 gallon pots would get me closer to the 7 days I want between waterings but with my light, I can only get 3-5 days. I will figure out a way to be a lazier grower!!! Touching each plant once a week would be perfect for me! Leave them alone and let them be. LOL

I understand the laziness completely. Laziness is one of the reasons I like to grow organically. I do my mixing (Mixed my soil on the 1st of this month)...and thats all the work I really do for the plants. I get a two 5 gallon buckets and throw 1 cup of EWC, teaspoon of my kelp, 2 tablespoons of malted ground barley, 1 teaspoon of guano into my tea bag and let it brew for 24 hours. Pull a gallon out to use and I add 1 teaspoon of fish emulsion fertilizer for bringing my shitty 9.2 pH water down to about 6.5 and I water. That gives me about 3-5 days of nothing for that plant again until its time to water again. Takes me longer to fill the gallon jugs with ACT (trying to not make a mess) than anything else. I thought maybe growing in 10 and 15 gallon pots would get me closer to the 7 days I want between waterings but with my light, I can only get 3-5 days. I will figure out a way to be a lazier grower!!! Touching each plant once a week would be perfect for me! Leave them alone and let them be. LOL

I even constructed a automatic watering system with a pump in a five gallon bucket of water connected to a timer. All I need to do is find a way to make it soak the surface of the pot evenly and I will be able to open the tent once at the end of the grow to harvest the plants. LMAO. I wish.....

You gotta dance with who brung ya brother!! I completely get that. Hey I don't knock any other growers or their styles. Eventually I will try them all, but I know where my heart lies.

I even constructed a automatic watering system with a pump in a five gallon bucket of water connected to a timer. All I need to do is find a way to make it soak the surface of the pot evenly and I will be able to open the tent once at the end of the grow to harvest the plants. LMAO. I wish.....

There you go! Works perfect!

Van posted one yesterday here.

MadDab did one with drip rings rather than soakers, but same construction.

[edit: damn Van, you beat me to it. Thanks!]

Back
Top Bottom