InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Hey Shed,

The photo of your res always struck me as being low on holes to the air gap and lush food below.

I kinda imagine a rootball base forming and just limited roots getting through - more and smaller might be preferable? It’ll just mostly coil up.

I have no idea (until I chop one with our more “grate” style). Just my guess.
My outdoor SIP has been stalled for about 6 months though so you do need to be careful with it 🤣

Nick

Monday update and a belated Father's Day to all the dads here, and all who have dads they love, with us or gone. :love:

It's been a busy few days so I haven't been on the site much, but I thought I should post the latest here on day 49 while I find out what I missed everywhere else.

Since the Summer grow has gotten too big to fit in a 2' deep tent, I fired up the Oval of Brightness® in the tent:

That's a light I designed to fit the space using Samsung strips and a Meanwell driver (build info here).

A good friend of mine here did all the milling at his CNC shop so all I had to do was put it together with the strips I bought and wire it up. Perpetual thanks @Derbybud!

Here they are in the tent at night:

I did a serious defol on the Grandpa's Moonshine and a less serious one on the 5 Killer Cookies. Here are a couple of the fans that came off GM:

And here it is this morning in the drizzle that is often our mornings now:

It's been pretty droopy since the defoliation (defol, not defoil!) on Friday. In contrast, here is the 5 Killer Cookies still chugging away:

To be fair I didn't strip as much off this as the GM, but I've never had a plant droop after thinning so I don't know why the GM is unhappy. Either way the 5KC is already getting too wide for the Oval, so once the lowest node grows up one more level I'm thinking it will be flip time.

That's it for me. I hope your weekend went well and was spent with folks you enjoy! :)
That 5KC is a brute! I wonder what's happening to GM to make her droop like that too!

Hi Shed, I also thought it had an over-watered look I hope it comes right overnight!
Thanks Carmen, me too!
I thought I remebered you had a diy setup for growing. It seems to be doing a great job . Looking mighty fine there Shedster. CL
Thank you Captain. :)
The photo of your res always struck me as being low on holes to the air gap and lush food below.
I kinda imagine a rootball base forming and just limited roots getting through - more and smaller might be preferable? It’ll just mostly coil up.
I have no idea (until I chop one with our more “grate” style). Just my guess.
My outdoor SIP has been stalled for about 6 months though so you do need to be careful with it
There are soldering-iron holes every inch going up and about every 1.5" going around and across the top:

20230603_150745 SIP build tub build complete edit.jpg

I don't think roots going through the holes to get to the water is the idea as it's not a hydro setup. The holes are for the water to get to the soil wick, and capillary action moves that water up through the soil to the rootball. Though growing around the res into the wicking foot would be fine. That's my understanding of it, though @Azimuth can let me know if I've somehow got that wrong!
That 5KC is a brute! I wonder what's happening to GM to make her droop like that too!
Thanks Otter! We'll either find out or we won't. :thumb:

Thanks Carmen, me too!

Thank you Captain. :)

There are soldering-iron holes every inch going up and about every 1.5" going around and across the top:

20230603_150745 SIP build tub build complete edit.jpg

I don't think roots going through the holes to get to the water is the idea as it's not a hydro setup. The holes are for the water to get to the soil wick, and capillary action moves that water up through the soil to the rootball. Though growing around the res into the wicking foot would be fine. That's my understanding of it, though @Azimuth can let me know if I've somehow got that wrong!

Thanks Otter! We'll either fine out or we won't. :thumb:
I don't get any roots in my SIP wicking foot. I think it stays too wet for many roots below the air gap.

I don't get any roots in my SIP wicking foot. I think it stays too wet for many roots below the air gap.
Oh thanks LKA! I can't wait to tear this thing apart after harvest. :)
I can let it run lower than I have been if you think that will help.
I don't know that answer, but It sure wouldn't hurt to try it!
Well I pulled it out of the shed this morning, put it in the sun (yay sun!), and went completely the other way! Even though the leaves have that wrinkled look of being over-watered, I put my finger as far as I could into the soil and it felt completely dry. So I top-watered with about 3/4 of a gallon and heard it run into the res.

We'll see. :nomo:

Funny, I was just going to ask you if the soil felt damp, not wet on top- both of mine do stay damp on the surface all the time.
I figured yours might be too wet, hence the puffy look..
obviously, I was barking up the wrong tree...

Maybe it didn't "prime" when it should have- I'd think that the top watering should get the process going ...
Did you notice the surface was damp last week or earlier?

Funny, I was just going to ask you if the soil felt damp, not wet on top- both of mine do stay damp on the surface all the time.
I figured yours might be too wet, hence the puffy look..
obviously, I was barking up the wrong tree...
Might be two sets of roots...one set over watered and one set dry! I guess I'll have an idea when I get home if this changed anything for better or worse. :rolleyes:
Maybe it didn't "prime" when it should have- I'd think that the top watering should get the process going ...
Did you notice the surface was damp last week or earlier?
I top watered when I upcanned into the SIP but not since, and neither the SIP nor the SWICK look remotely damp on top. The SWICK feels the tiniest bit moist about 3" down but even a barbecue skewer sunk 12" in doesn't come up wet, and that res takes 3/4/gallon a day for the happy 5KC.

Could be because yours are quite a bit taller than mine...but that doesn't make sense, because lots of folks use 5 gallon buckets for their SIPs... 🤔
What soil are you using?
(doesn't seem like it would matter, but maybe...)

Could be because yours are quite a bit taller than mine...but that doesn't make sense, because lots of folks use 5 gallon buckets for their SIPs...
I don't think I've seen anyone run a SIP outside though, other than Nick's sad ignored balcony plant in Thailand. Might be others but not off the top of my head.
What soil are you using? (doesn't seem like it would matter, but maybe...)
I'm in FFHF with lots of added perlite.

Shed. I'm reluctant to chime in but have you thought about putting some sort of mulch atop the soil to help hold in the moisture?

Shed. I'm reluctant to chime in but have you thought about putting some sort of mulch atop the soil to help hold in the moisture?
Chime away GDB! I don't have easy access to straw or hay and my only attempt at mulch was bark chips and they gave me a nasty case of root aphids, so I never tried again. I could try cardboard just to keep the sun off the top and see if it's just evaporation that keeps the top several inches dry.

I've got some boxes in my office so I'll cut them up and give that a try and see it the top ever gets damp! See, chiming helpful...thanks GDB!

What’s your touchy/feely on the (SWICK/SIP) v. your normal grows so far? Still early grow obviously.
I'll get a better pic of the 5KC when it's not drizzling and line it up some pics of my cloth-pot plants around the same age, for comparison's sake.
Here are some historical pics of plants around the same age as the 5 Killer Cookies (day 50 today)

Doug's Varin day 51 (7 gallon cloth pot):

full

DTF day 49 (7 gallon cloth pot):
full

Jack Herer supercropped, day 55 (7 gallon cloth pot):

full

Tin Can Kush 1, day 55 (1 gallon plastic pot):

full

And today's pic of the 5 Killer Cookies (day 50):

These are all different varieties of seed plants and the sizes are all over the map, but nothing has gotten as big as fast as the 5KC. Repeatability is key though, so I'll see if future SWICK plants have the same kind of growth.

I'm in FFHF with lots of added perlite.
I'm in Promix HP, with no added perlite, but I can't see how that would matter-
My first two did have apx 25% added perlite, and they worked fine, so the the added perlite isn't the culprit...
not that you thought it was, just eliminating possibilities here..

GDB's idea is definitely worth a try...

I don't think I've seen anyone run a SIP outside though, other than Nick's sad ignored balcony plant in Thailand. Might be others but not off the top of my head.
🤣

Neglected! She’s in a SIP under the cerulean skies of mid summers day (actually I think its tomorrow here) Not gonna lie tonyou though - needs some TLC 😂

So nearly at 5ft for flip!

Sure Emilya runs SIPs outdoors. A couple of others.

Nick

IMG_4026.jpeg
IMG_4027.jpeg

🤣

Neglected! She’s in a SIP under the cerulean skies of mid summers day (actually I think its tomorrow here) Not gonna lie tonyou though - needs some TLC 😂

So nearly at 5ft for flip!

Sure Emilya runs SIPs outdoors. A couple of others.

Nick

IMG_4026.jpeg
IMG_4027.jpeg
Wow thats a tree.

Wow thats a tree.
🤣

My phone camera is so fuzzy it could make Liz Taylor look 17 again!

It is just shy of five feet from the base of the medium though. With zero care pretty much.

So totally this SIP business has something to it. Potting soil and coco mashup just what was to hand. Perlite. Some decent nutes the first month. (From about 2” start) and then well water pretty much, (very occasional nute feeds - but as Shed knows very infrequent!) for 5 months? The well water she’d go a week without at times. Dry season. Didn’t rain at all a month at least.

Maybe its a magic pheno - “Do Si Dos Rocketas” is what it was marked as. Re packaged bought locally.

Doubt it.

Think this SIP business creates tougher plants.

Still cloning the ‘bejesus out that thing though!
(when she’s strong enough!)

Nick

Crazy days at work this week so :sorry: for not being here. I did want to drop a quick day 51 update to show what Grandpa's Moonshine looked like this morning after top watering yesterday:

Pretty much the same, and the top of the soil is damp even without the cardboard (which I'll put on tomorrow). I'll let the res run down to the bottom and see if that makes the slightest difference. :hmmmm:

Stay well, and happy first day of summer! Remember all you folks flowering by the sun: tomorrow the days begin getting shorter and your plants will notice.

Quotes:
I'm in Promix HP, with no added perlite, but I can't see how that would matter-
My first two did have apx 25% added perlite, and they worked fine, so the the added perlite isn't the culprit...
not that you thought it was, just eliminating possibilities here..

GDB's idea is definitely worth a try...
Thanks Carcass! It doesn't appear to be suffering and the 5KC is getting flipped first anyway, so I have some time to right the HMS Grandpa. 🚢
Neglected!
Ignored, neglected, potato, potahto. ;)
With zero care pretty much.
I think we can see that!
Wow thats a tree.
Not one you'd want in your backyard though. :thumb:
Zoom! Zoom! Fast and healthy! Very nice!
Thank you Otter. :)

Crazy days at work this week so :sorry: for not being here. I did want to drop a quick day 51 update to show what Grandpa's Moonshine looked like this morning after top watering yesterday:

Pretty much the same, and the top of the soil is damp even without the cardboard (which I'll put on tomorrow). I'll let the res run down to the bottom and see if that makes the slightest difference. :hmmmm:

Stay well, and happy first day of summer! Remember all you folks flowering by the sun: tomorrow the days begin getting shorter and your plants will notice.

Quotes:

Thanks Carcass! It doesn't appear to be suffering and the 5KC is getting flipped first anyway, so I have some time to right the HMS Grandpa. 🚢

Ignored, neglected, potato, potahto. ;)

I think we can see that!

Not one you'd want in your backyard though. :thumb:

Thank you Otter. :)
The Shedmeister is rocking it again. :thumb: CL🍀. :bravo::welldone::yahoo::drool::adore::ciao:

Back
Top Bottom